Netflix releases Android app for select HTC phones, Samsung Nexus S

Search This thread

computercarl

Oct 16, 2006
Bay City, MI
Nope, it's going to need a modified framework to have an ESN. Go to the apps section of NC here, and read up on the HBO-GO thread. It's going to be very close to their solution.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Nope, it's going to need a modified framework to have an ESN. Go to the apps section of NC here, and read up on the HBO-GO thread. It's going to be very close to their solution.

Well, it may require a device with an ESN, but if it is only available to "select" devices, it has to be reading something from the build.prop to determine if it is a valid phone model; the two are different issues..

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Looking at the build.prop that is already on my CM7 nook, it has a ro.build.fingerprint of that of a Nexus, so that should not be an issue...

Well, never mind - got a "device not supported" error. It may be looking at other build.prop sections, it may be failing with no IEMI framework (haven't done that mod yet), or it may be looking at the actual CPU, for something only the snapdragon has...

Last edited:

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I posted in another section, I'm watching netflix on my nook *right now*! All it took was a build.prop mod. As follows:

ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.brand=tmobile
ro.product.name=vision
ro.product.device=vision
ro.product.board=vision

ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys

discothan

Feb 15, 2011
As I posted in another section, I'm watching netflix on my nook *right now*! All it took was a build.prop mod. As follows:

ro.product.brand=tmobile
ro.product.name=vision
ro.product.device=vision
ro.product.board=vision

ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys

Cool....can you take a pic/screenshot!?!?!?

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA

Attachments

• IMG_20110512_140557.jpg
    IMG_20110512_140557.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,167

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
How did you edit the build.prop file?

I have two build.props on my sd card that I switch in the terminal, "nookcolorbuild.prop" and "nctmobbuild.prop". I also keep a third one for MLB.tv. The commands I use in terminal are:

Code:
$ su
# busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
# cp /sdcard/[WHICHEVER FILE I WANT TO USE].prop /system/build.prop

Then a restart, which applies it!

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA

ro.product.brand=tmobile
ro.product.name=vision
ro.product.device=vision
ro.product.board=vision

I am still getting the "not supported" error, even with the changed build. Have you ever done the framework mod to give yourself an IMEI number?

FractalSphere

Oct 21, 2009
Chicago
www.doublecluepon.com
I have two build.props on my sd card that I switch in the terminal, "nookcolorbuild.prop" and "nctmobbuild.prop". I also keep a third one for MLB.tv. The commands I use in terminal are:

Code:
$ su
# busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
# cp /sdcard/[WHICHEVER FILE I WANT TO USE].prop /system/build.prop

Then a restart, which applies it!

VERY cool solution. I don't doubt I could follow those instructions, but does keeping the netflix-compatible build.prop file on there break anything else?

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
VERY cool solution. I don't doubt I could follow those instructions, but does keeping the netflix-compatible build.prop file on there break anything else?

Probably? Things run a little slow, but I haven't tested thoroughly. I'm pretty used to switching build.props on a regular basis for use with mlb.tv, so it doesn't bother me to have to switch often. I plan on switching back when I'm done watching just in case (or until others can show that it doesn't hurt anything).

Reactions: FractalSphere

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i got it to work this changing thise 2 lines

ro.product.model=Nexus S
    ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

and both netflix AND market work

make sure you dont cap samsung.. when i did it as Samsung netflix wouldnt work.. but with just samsung worked fine

Thanks for this.

Pretty simple if anyone's needing some help:

1. Root Explorer -> system -> Click "Mount R/W"

2. Long press build.prop -> Copy -> Paste (for backup purposes)

3. Long press build.prop -> Open in Text Editor

4. Change the above two bolded lines

5. Save

6. Reboot

7. Open Netflix and enjoy! :D

ro.product.brand=tmobile
    ro.product.name=vision
    ro.product.device=vision
    ro.product.board=vision

i got it to work this changing thise 2 lines

ro.product.model=Nexus S

and both netflix AND market work

make sure you dont cap samsung.. when i did it as Samsung netflix wouldnt work.. but with just samsung worked fine
    HowTo Get Netflix to work on the Nook Color

HowTo guide for those that don't understand what build.prop is.

Android 2.3 ROMs(CM7 Stable, Phiremod, ect...)
    ro.product.model=Nexus S

CM7 nightlys + Android 2.2 ROMs(Stock, Froyo, ect...)

Just make sure you backup your build.prop file before editing just in case you need to switch back.(Copy it somewhere and rename it build.prop.bak)

For Newbs:
    -Remount /system as RW using Root Explorer
    -Backup the /system/build.prop to /system/build.prop.bak
    -Edit the file /system/build.prop with a text editor (Hold down in Root Explorer for Popup then tap "Open in Text Editor" )
    -Replace each line with it's above replacements
    -Make sure there are no extra spaces at the ends of lines as that can cause problems
    -Save the file
    -Hard Reboot

TaDa! Netflix Works!

Anybody else notice this quality quirk?

EDIT: I noticed people are complaining about quality. Try loading the Video and then Seek to the beginning again, that rebuffers it to a higher quality like I stated before. At least for me.