[Q] Which ROM is best for my need?

Search This thread

rockmanneo

May 5, 2006
I have a T-Mobile Note 3 Kitkat, rooted (trip KNOX) and I'm looking for a ROM that is:

- Light: No force close or need for release some memory every time I open a memory heavy app (read Tapped Out *blush*)
- No touchwiz, but still retain the S-pen function
- Button remap such that double press the home button or menu button opens the task switcher. The current long press is too long to be used efficiently. <-- the most important thing for me
- Open Google now with swipe from bottom (like the one on Xperia)
- Lock screen like the one on Xpreria too
- No bloatwares
- Simplistic theme
- 4.3 if possible

Anybody with good ROM suggestion? I am new with this stuff, the last time I modded my phone was with WM6.5 so bare with me.

Last edited:

rlee008

Jul 7, 2009
Miami, FL
I have a T-Mobile Note 3 Kitkat, rooted (trip KNOX) and I'm looking for a ROM that is:

- Light: No force close or need for release some memory every time I open a memory heavy app (read Tapped Out *blush*)
- Button remap such that double click the home button opens the task switcher. The current long press is too long to be used efficiently.
- No bloatwares
- Simplistic theme
- 4.3 if possible

Anybody with good ROM suggestion? I am new with this stuff, the last time I modded my phone was with WM6.5 so bare with me.

how about the kitchen sink? lol... ok i can answer some but not all

android will release memory as it needs it. sometimes it might help to release some memory depending on what you're doing but its not a constant requirement.

S-pen is part of TouchWiz and its framework so unless you're running a TouchWiz rom you're not going to get it, but there's alternative apps you can use to get the same basic function

Button remaping can be done via xpose on most roms

custom roms dont include bloatware. its the whole point of running a custom rom

most roms are not themed to heavy and most are AOSP. so they're clean and simple.

you said you were on 4.4. did you upgrade your bootloader to the new one included in the 4.4 OTA update? if so then you cannot go back to 4.3 (as i have it understood)

hopefully some of this helps and if im wrong. with any of the above someone please chime in....

Reactions: rockmanneo

drag&fly

Nov 19, 2013

- Button remap such that double click the home button opens the task switcher. The current long press is too long to be used efficiently.
- No bloatwares
- Simplistic theme
- 4.3 if possible

If you have updated to KitKat B/L, going back to 4.3 is no good. Sounds like you want an AOSP ROM but good luck finding one that is not buggy and have F/Cs. Or at least problems with texts/crackling sound/no NFC/ the list is long. Not sure why people want AOSP on a note 3, because TW is where your money is at on this device as far as functionality and Spen services. I have tried Hyper drive RLS2 and it has many of the things you are looking for. It is loaded down with mods, but is fast and no FC issues for me. With that said, I personally am a Tweaked Fan..... light, fast, basic where it needs to be and Wally is king **** with his themeing. NOT one single issue with the Beta release..... I'm not surprised, Dwith is a Alien sent to rewrite the ROM book. Give it a go..... my .02

Reactions: rockmanneo

rockmanneo

May 5, 2006
If you have updated to KitKat B/L, going back to 4.3 is no good. Sounds like you want an AOSP ROM but good luck finding one that is not buggy and have F/Cs. Or at least problems with texts/crackling sound/no NFC/ the list is long. Not sure why people want AOSP on a note 3, because TW is where your money is at on this device as far as functionality and Spen services. I have tried Hyper drive RLS2 and it has many of the things you are looking for. It is loaded down with mods, but is fast and no FC issues for me. With that said, I personally am a Tweaked Fan..... light, fast, basic where it needs to be and Wally is king **** with his themeing. NOT one single issue with the Beta release..... I'm not surprised, Dwith is a Alien sent to rewrite the ROM book. Give it a go..... my .02

Do you know if Tweaked support 4.4 OTA phones?
Thanks!

drag&fly

Nov 19, 2013
Thank you guys for the advises and suggestions.

I am intrigued by Tweaked, but it appears that it's only for 4.3 devices? I'm not sure if my phone is qualified.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588075

ALL that is required on XDA is that you read and research. The info is here and free.

$ EDIT $$$ May 5, 2014...TWEAKED KK 4.4.2 ALPHA BUILD RELEASED.
Set your thumb print on the link below, fill out the empty boxes and link to download will be in blue letters on top of the page. Please thank Dwitherell on his posts and donate if you feel the need. Enjoy

Connection details - freenode Web IRC
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#tweaked

KRYON Themes for TWEAKED by Wally3614 located at the thread link below.*

http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=52320854

mrej201

Mar 18, 2012
union city NJ

- No bloatwares
- Simplistic theme
- 4.3 if possible

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709867

need 4.4 but it has all the themes etc and customization

rockmanneo

May 5, 2006

Rickdaddy

Nov 5, 2011
Had slimkat for a while and it seemed stable enough. However I would get random reboots at times and some games freezing up on me. Also using s-pen features that are not the OEM ones would often times frustrate me (maybe a user error on my part, but the OEM TW one was easy).

Ended up going with Hyperdrive, I love it and TW isn't laggy at all. Will probably go back to slimkat as soon as they iron out a few more kinks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- No bloatwares
    - Simplistic theme
    - 4.3 if possible

how about the kitchen sink? lol... ok i can answer some but not all

android will release memory as it needs it. sometimes it might help to release some memory depending on what you're doing but its not a constant requirement.

S-pen is part of TouchWiz and its framework so unless you're running a TouchWiz rom you're not going to get it, but there's alternative apps you can use to get the same basic function

Button remaping can be done via xpose on most roms

custom roms dont include bloatware. its the whole point of running a custom rom

most roms are not themed to heavy and most are AOSP. so they're clean and simple.

you said you were on 4.4. did you upgrade your bootloader to the new one included in the 4.4 OTA update? if so then you cannot go back to 4.3 (as i have it understood)

hopefully some of this helps and if im wrong. with any of the above someone please chime in....

- No bloatwares
    - Simplistic theme
    - 4.3 if possible

Do you know if Tweaked support 4.4 OTA phones?
    Thanks!

I updated to 4.4 via OTA and flashed my recovery (Philz 6.26.6) and downloaded Tweaked. No problems. Make sure you head to the tweaked thread in the General section and there is a link to the IRC. Just log in and D/L.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2739968

This is the one I run and I love it.

Forget 4.3. Why do you want to stay there? Tied to an app?
    Thanks for the link. This looks clean and interesting.
    Does this ROM have button remap (double press home or menu button press for app switch)?

Yes I am kind of tied to one app, but it's not really important. It's Puzzle and Dragons... with tweaked stats.

Yes! It has just about every mod your heart desires....