[SCRIPT][CM7/9] /datadata/ low storage notification lagless fix - init.d script

Search This thread

yinduyun

Dec 25, 2009
Has anyone got this to work on AOKP build 33 yet? And if so, which kernel are you on, which version of this script did you use and exactly how did you install it?
Actually, make that build 34 since I'm currently looking at the bug fixes that one introduces and I'm probably going to update now...

Wendigogo

Jun 14, 2010
Lyon
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Please help me working datafix for slim ics 3.4 with devil kernel 2_0.74 thanks....
Has anyone got this to work on AOKP build 33 yet? And if so, which kernel are you on, which version of this script did you use and exactly how did you install it?
Actually, make that build 34 since I'm currently looking at the bug fixes that one introduces and I'm probably going to update now...
Did you try to rename the /system/etc/init.d/30datafix to /system/etc/init.d/S30datafix ????

I think I should make another zip file with this mod ...

EDIT : done DataFix_29032012v2.zip

Last edited:

dead soul

May 4, 2011
Memory issue

I have a query

The low memory issue on Samsung Galaxy S which the script is supposed to fix is it Cyanogen limited? or is it Hardware limited ? because my phone 8GB internal and 16GB external

Also if I install Cyanogen 9 ICS would this problem be resolved ?

Also is the ROM memory part of the 8GB internal memory ?

:confused:

Wendigogo

Jun 14, 2010
Lyon
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
The low memory issue on Samsung Galaxy S which the script is supposed to fix is it Cyanogen limited? or is it Hardware limited ? because my phone 8GB internal and 16GB external
It's both of this : there's a internal chip (not the 8Go one) of around 170Mo with high I/O performances and CyanogenMod (and derivatives) uses it to store apps data. This way system is fast and smooth. Samsung Roms don't work the same as the Low memory problem seems to never occur. But if you've got your SGS for a long time you could remember how laggy it was on Froyo/ first GB Samsung roms compared to CM ones. Some great devs (like supercurio) made some lagfix to increase smoothness of these Samsung roms but it never reach (imho) the level of CM roms.

Also if I install Cyanogen 9 ICS would this problem be resolved ?

Also is the ROM memory part of the 8GB internal memory ?

:confused:
If you reinstall a CM based rom it could temporarly solve your problem by clearing some apps cache but it will be back sooner or later ...

Reactions: basily

mammenj

Sep 12, 2010
So if I install a new big app, I would need to restart the phone for the cache to be moved to the appropriate location.
Is my understanding right?

Christophe86

Feb 19, 2011
Ghent
Is my understanding right?

No.

It's not the size of the app that counts, it's how much it stores cache in the /datadata folder. for example: google chrome browser stores a lot of his cache in the /datadata folder. it's almost impossible to use that browser without a data fix script.

you can also execute the script within android using a script manager.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: mammenj and DROCSID

dead soul

May 4, 2011
It's both of this : there's a internal chip (not the 8Go one) of around 170Mo with high I/O performances and CyanogenMod (and derivatives) uses it to store apps data. This way system is fast and smooth. Samsung Roms don't work the same as the Low memory problem seems to never occur. But if you've got your SGS for a long time you could remember how laggy it was on Froyo/ first GB Samsung roms compared to CM ones. Some great devs (like supercurio) made some lagfix to increase smoothness of these Samsung roms but it never reach (imho) the level of CM roms.

If you reinstall a CM based rom it could temporarly solve your problem by clearing some apps cache but it will be back sooner or later ...

Thanks a lot for this !!! Any idea how big is this cache for the galaxy s2 ??
That was a very nice response !! Than for sharing.

mammenj

Sep 12, 2010
Do I have to re flash this whenever I flash a new cm 9 nightlies?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Christophe86

Feb 19, 2011
Ghent
Do I have to re flash this whenever I flash a new cm 9 nightlies?

just check your system/etc/init.d folder if script is still present. I'm not sure if cm9 cleans init.d when flashed. I think it doesn't.

Okay, so I need some help running this script.

which version are you using? the 29/03 version is still the latest stable one. from what I read it seems that in your case the script is not executed at boot. try to rename the script by putting an 'S' in front of it's name or download and flash the one posted one page back (29/03 v2)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Last edited:

upichie

Nov 15, 2010
EDIT: Okay, so I read through all 34 pages and feel I have a better understanding of the script now.

Wendigogo, it would benefit the community greatly—making things easier and clearer—if you made your own thread. I understand you didn't create this, but neither did the OP—and he has abandoned his thread. Giving proprr credit should suffice. Please consider this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kodes

alley_u2

Jun 14, 2011
Does DataFixv2 Work with AOKP Milestone 5

Hello guys, just wanted to make sure if the data fix works with AOKP M5 release, has any one tested this ? just wanna make sure if its good to flash it:confused::confused:? Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello fellow I9000 users.

tl;dr - This fixes your low storage notification problems just by flashing it on CWM.

Disclaimer
    First of all, I'd like to inform you that this post is a compilation of the work done by drafnel on the CyanogenMod forums, revthanki on the XDA-Developers forum, and as such I take little to no credit in it, as all I've done was ask for drafnel to help me in the cleanup code for me to put it in a flashable zip.

Sources:
    http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/39718-workaround-for-small-datadata-partition/
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1444333

Also, as you should know, you take full responsability should data loss or other kinds of damage occur.

Introduction
    Lot's of people have encountered the problem where their /datadata partition fills up and then apps begin force closing. This is often confusing since there is usually a lot of space available on the internal 2GB storage partition. But these are two different partitions on cyanogenmod. The created the datadata partition on the fast internal memory so that apps would start up and run faster (i.e. less lag), but it is only about 170MB (which can't be helped).

One thing that can be done is to move the contents of /datadata onto the 2GB /data partition. That will solve the space problem, but then you have the lag problem. So, what we need is for the files that take up a lot of space to reside on the 2GB partition and the files that are accessed frequently by an app to reside an the fast 170MB partition. The files that are accessed often, or that affect app startup speed are the sqlite database files and the xml preferences files. These reside in the databases and shared_prefs sub-directories in each app directory. Drafnel has written a script to perform these operations.

Requirements
    • Samsung Galaxy S based phone (GT-I9000, Vibrant, Fascinate, Captivate, etc.)
    • Kernel that supports init.d scripts

How to use it?
    As you would flash a ROM update or a Kernel:
    1. Download the file to your sdcard.
    2. Reboot your phone into CWM.
    3. Choose 'install zip from sdcard', and choose the script from there.
    It will run on boot everytime. It's pretty light so your total boot time shouldn't suffer. It will only do the operations if they are needed, and it will clean up after itself. No need to worry about broken links or stale resources.

What it actually does?
    On every boot:
    1. Runs a check to see if /data/data is still symlinked to /datadata/
    2. Moves everything that isn't performance critical from /datadata/ to unlinked /data/data/
    3. Cleans up old databases from uninstalled apps

Other stuff to watch out for
    • Titanium Backup users should tick the Preferences > Troubleshooting settings > Follow all symbolic links option
    • SlimICS users should follow this procedure

Changelog
    11032012 - First working release.
    For those of you who are having trouble getting the script to run, I have created a small flashable zip that will ensure that the missing busybox applets are symlinked. For whatever reason SlimICS doesn't have busybox linked properly.

TL;DR - Flash if on SlimICS
    I get rm failed for -rf when I manually run the script. Any ideas? I'm on a Samsung captivate and cm9.
    Just remove the "f" from each "rm" command.
    But it seems you're using the April script which is not recommended and buggy.

I'm working on a "next generation" script running flawlessly since 3 days. Like the 2903 datafix libs are on /data and everything else is on /datadata. But now, you could move selected applications cache (like Chrome or so) to /data. And this could be reverted ;-)
    I have to test this when updating rom then create a new topic here. :p.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA
    Please help me working datafix for slim ics 3.4 with devil kernel 2_0.74 thanks....
    Did you try to rename the /system/etc/init.d/30datafix to /system/etc/init.d/S30datafix ????

I think I should make another zip file with this mod ...

EDIT : done DataFix_29032012v2.zip
    Does this script move the cache to /data/data aswell, or does it stay in /datadata?

I hope it does as it's annoying having to delete the cache all the time.
    As some apps lag if their cache wasn't on /datadata you could choose (by editing a text file) which apps store their cache on /data. This could be reverted if app becomes laggy ...

EDIT : Here is my new datafix : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1665742