Samsung Galaxy S5 supports ART

Search This thread

double002

Jul 28, 2011
It wouldnt be a phone model version problem would it?

Im not sure of the differences between the 900F's and other models. Surely they should all roughly be the same. Maybe we should keep a log and see if a pattern emerges.

I have been running ART for 4-5 days and had no issues.

Still running stock rom on my 900F aswell (no root and Knox still intact)

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Same here: SM-G900F, no root and Know warranty at 0x0 (checked it today)

I've got the same problem for the black screen thing on art. But now I had no such problem because I'm switch back to dalvik

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

I really think that ART is still unstable! Dalvik is working just fine, I think that the differences between ART and Dalvik are not perceivable for now

Br4nd3n

Sep 20, 2013
Posted this in the AT&T thread so I'll forward it here to resolve these ART threads.

"You must realize that almost all apps are in Dalvik bytecode. Dalvik is a form of JIT compilation (Just in Time) which is not native but doesn't pre-compile anything; making it less memory extensive but causing longer load times. ART uses AOT compilation (Always on Time), which is faster for android because it's native, however it translates Dalvik into a system dependant binary (pre-compiling the entire app) which makes it load a lot faster but it also slightly more memory extensive.

Older devices with less memory benefited from Dalvik, while ART is more practical in today's use since our phones have so much memory.

AndroidPolice had awesome benchmarks for Android 4.4, I attached an image of their benchmarks. You'll notice CPU had a huge benefit in ART but memory did not, and was slightly worse.

ART is still experimental and may have problems translating and pre-compiling some apps, which is why you will experience crashes and bugs; though some will function fine. Samsung has even said ART is to be used with caution on their TouchWiz due to all the applications being Dalvik bytecode."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1397783389883.jpg
    1397783389883.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 770

Danh2009

May 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posted this in the AT&T thread so I'll forward it here to resolve these ART threads.

"You must realize that almost all apps are in Dalvik bytecode. Dalvik is a form of JIT compilation (Just in Time) which is not native but doesn't pre-compile anything; making it less memory extensive but causing longer load times. ART uses AOT compilation (Always on Time), which is faster for android because it's native, however it translates Dalvik into a system dependant binary (pre-compiling the entire app) which makes it load a lot faster but it also slightly more memory extensive.

Older devices with less memory benefited from Dalvik, while ART is more practical in today's use since our phones have so much memory.

AndroidPolice had awesome benchmarks for Android 4.4, I attached an image of their benchmarks. You'll notice CPU had a huge benefit in ART but memory did not, and was slightly worse.

ART is still experimental and may have problems translating and pre-compiling some apps, which is why you will experience crashes and bugs; though some will function fine. Samsung has even said ART is to be used with caution on their TouchWiz due to all the applications being Dalvik bytecode."

Thanks Br4nd3n, Think ill turn Dalvik back on for now. Seeing as there id no real reason to have it on, especially seeing as the S5 has enough memory and cpu.

The only reason i turned it on was because i "wanted" to.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Br4nd3n

AngeredNumber

Dec 18, 2010
England
Some please help me, i still cant get my device to boot into ART even after changing from Stock to Alliance rom. :( I dont know what the issue is. Any help would be great thanks.

gyxter

Im really having good battery life with ART enabled. Standby time is much better than in dalvik. I've not experienced any reboot after 2 days but having some google process fc which happened only once and it hasnt affected anything. So I say ART is much better than dalvik.

Ave666

Nov 18, 2011
Did you encounter black screen lock issue?

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

odd29

Jan 1, 2012
Im using the alliance rom and art is not activated after reboot.
Is there a workaround?

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I'm with the 900F, and i cannot find the developer option, can anyone direct me.

thanks

gyxter

I'm with the 900F, and i cannot find the developer option, can anyone direct me.

thanks

Go to about then tap build number 5 times to enable dev mode. Did you try googling how to enable it? ;)

By the way just a warning when ART is enabled some features will not be working like screen mirroring and private mode. This is because it triggers phone status as custom.

Reactions: kms108

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Go to about then tap build number 5 times to enable dev mode. Did you try googling how to enable it? ;)

By the way just a warning when ART is enabled some features will not be working like screen mirroring and private mode. This is because it triggers phone status as custom.

thanks, if I want to remove the develper option, how do I do this.

thanks

gsfesz

Feb 29, 2012
Whwn i enbaled ART on my sprint s5 i pulled it out of my pocket and it was really hot and stuck on the Sprint logo

justinsch03

Jul 29, 2011
wouldn't do it

I just tried it on my Sprint S5 and it speed things up a lot, but then it wouldn't allow me to install anything from the play store, the connections optimizer started crashing even though it was off, and then the phone would just freeze. Had to take battery out, and immediately shift back to dalvik. Now running fine but phone lags when multiple apps were open (ie family guy and Facebook in background)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I wouldn't enable it. Its under developer options for a reason. I had to enabled on my HTC One GPe, and it did nothing but slow down certain applications.

meh. It's definitely a YMMV thing, but it will almost certainly be the standard runtime for the next version of android which is basically neigh at this point with I/O coming up. I think Google was wise to start including it in 4.x.x so developers are able to prepare accordingly.
    Art does indeed save battery and make a smoother experience I've been running it on my S4 with aosp roms

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I went in local shops today to check out new S5.
    I went in first shop, it had 2 display galaxy S5. Both were version SM-G900X (Yes X)

I didnt find enable ART option in deleoper section.

Went to 2nd shop, they didnt have any display ones, only real ones for sale. It was SM-G900F.
    It had ART option in developer section, did turn it on, reboot (motherr ****er 300 apps on that phone) and it worked nicely. Didnt notice any improvement between dalvik one.

I think different variants will have different compatibility.But it shouldn't be like this.
    As far as my knowledge goes TW framework doesn't support ART.

And those who are enabling ART should go back to developer options after the phone reboots in ART mode and see if the selected runtime is still dalvik or is it changed to ART.
    Art disables too much to be worth while on the s5 right now.
    I'm constantly explaining to people that private mode does not work with art.