2 Issues with Galaxy Nexus: Wifi + Multitouch, temporary fixes inside!

Search This thread

mohitrocks

Aug 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Issue 1: Multitouch issue
- As far as I'm aware of, there is no fix yet and a lot of people are experiencing the issue. What happens is whilst in landscape mode, sometimes, if one finger is placed at the bottom left of the screen, and another is placed on the bottom right, it'll fail to recognize the second touch (bottom right). This doesn't always occur, but does happen at times.
Simple fix: Lock the screen, then unlock it

Issue 2: Wifi consistently dropping
While downloading files, or sometimes even watching youtube videos, the wifi icon will disappear for a split second, then come back and an error will appear along the lines of " File could not be downloaded due to an error" or in the case of the market, it'll just stop downloading and give an error.
Fix: Sadly, the only fix that I have found so far for this issue is to get a new router. See my post here I used a Linksys WRT300N
EDIT: Another potential fix is to change some settings with the router but I'm not sure exactly what settings are needed to be changed.
EDIT2: I've created an issue about the wifi issue over here and according to marantz777@gmail.com:
Im assuming you are downloading huge files using WiFi... there is a notorious bug still unresolved on DHCP leasing time. If your route is settled to infinite (0 or ffffffff) a local timeout of few minutes is applied, thus the download broke and resume time by time because dhcp renewal. To fix this try to adjust your route settings indicating a discrete leasing time (i.e. 24 hours or 2 days) and thi should fix this specific issue (also noticeble when watching youtube videos, that may freeze after few minutes).
Hope this helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone,
I have had my Galaxy Nexus from Bell for a few days now, and it is a beast :D Everything runs smoothly, no lag (even with live wallpaper) and helps me accomplish everything I need from a mobile device ( a hell of a lot better than the milestone - international version of the Droid)

However, there are some prominent issues throughout the device.

1.) The wifi constantly times out, it will stop working at random times even if im 1-2 ft away from the router. Also, when I was downloading SD files for a game (asphalt 6 - 524mb file i think), i had to restart the download at least 10-15 times to finally get it to download. Is this a hardware issue? Can this be fixed through a software update

2.) The multitouch doesn't work at random times. For me, whether its plugged into the charger or not, at random times, when you touch the left side of the device in landscape mode, the device will not recognize touch inputs on the right side. HOWEVER, if you lock the screen, then unlock it, it works flawlessly. I am determined this is a software bug (may not be though) and if it isn't could someone please tell me? Thanks. And a lot of people also have this issue : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1385587

Also shown here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRSRROffO4

I have two question for you awesome people at XDA.
1.) Could someone please either post an issue to Google regarding these two issues or direct me to a website where I can post them?
2.) Could any of these be a hardware issue? Do you think I should return it and get another one?

Thanks so much guys,
Mosh

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2011
Would also like to know if the second problem is software related or not :/

EDIT: noticed now that my screen gets really hot at the top. Really hot! Does your get warm aswell?

Last edited:

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Don't know. The easy fix is to swap it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

diablos991

Mar 14, 2010
Both my touchscreen and WiFi have been working flawlessly.

I did have some initial hiccups with the WiFi until I power cycled my router.

sgs064

Sep 22, 2010
Make sure 'Avoid poor connections" is ticked off in the advanced WiFi settings.

Black Mirror

Dec 12, 2011
Make sure 'Avoid poor connections" is ticked off in the advanced WiFi settings.

I've been having WiFi trouble with the Nexus too - the phone generally seems to get poorer signal in comparison to my other devices. I've unticked this box, but it still keeps avoiding connecting (and when I go to WiFi settings, actually says it's avoiding connecting to my network because the connection is poor). It's frustrating, to say the least.

kristovaher

Jul 29, 2010
Tallinn
www.waher.net
WiFi could be an issue with the router. I had a problem where connecting Nexus to the router would cause both mine and other users internet in the network fail. Once I disconnected, internet returned. It worked on first few loads, then not anymore. Strange thing is that it fixed itself few weeks later.

(Same happened once with another router and when I was using HTC Desire, Android seems to be a wacky WiFi partner)

Highland3r

Sep 27, 2009
Don't know. The easy fix is to swap it.

Not this. If its software you end up with another phone with the same problem.

You may find other radios help with wifi, check the dev section for details if you have a rooted device. Otherwise youll probably need to wait for one of them to drop via an official ota.
As others have said, uncheck the weak wifi option

In terms of the multitouch issue, just tested my device and can't see any issues at all. Could be software related as the screen itself can support 10inputs - be interesting for users on non standard roms to check and see if they do have a problem as this may lend some weight towards the software related argument.

Adriaaaaan

Feb 24, 2009
Hey everyone,
I have had my Galaxy Nexus from Bell for a few days now, and it is a beast :D Everything runs smoothly, no lag (even with live wallpaper) and helps me accomplish everything I need from a mobile device ( a hell of a lot better than the milestone - international version of the Droid)

1.) The wifi constantly times out, it will stop working at random times even if im 1-2 ft away from the router. Also, when I was downloading SD files for a game (asphalt 6 - 524mb file i think), i had to restart the download at least 10-15 times to finally get it to download. Is this a hardware issue? Can this be fixed through a software update

2.) The multitouch doesn't work at random times. For me, whether its plugged into the charger or not, at random times, when you touch the left side of the device in landscape mode, the device will not recognize touch inputs on the right side. HOWEVER, if you lock the screen, then unlock it, it works flawlessly. I am determined this is a software bug (may not be though) and if it isn't could someone please tell me? Thanks. And a lot of people also have this issue : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1385587

Also shown here:

1.) Could someone please either post an issue to Google regarding these two issues or direct me to a website where I can post them?
2.) Could any of these be a hardware issue? Do you think I should return it and get another one?

Thanks so much guys,
Mosh

I get #2 in shadow gun if it goes into sleep mode while i'm playing. Its clearly a software issue as restarting the game it goes away.

lilnev

Jun 28, 2010
Zurich
Point 1 happens to me too. I've tried multiple ROM's. I'm getting a bit worried that it's hardware. It's dropping every few mins when I need it... then it comes back rather quick.

You have any news or has anyone else experienced it?

Last edited:

Caelum Bound

Nov 8, 2009
I'm not seeing a ton of people talk about this wifi problem, so I'm guessing it's not a widespread issue. I'm assuming it's not hardware either, but I'm curious about it. Whenever I turn on wifi on the Nexus and it tries to connect to my router, it disables all other connections, and the Nexus reports that it's not in range of the router. I'm interested in what routers people are using that are experiencing this issue.

I have a D-Link DI-624, a free router provided by Verizon with FIOS signup. I'm using a custom password, not the one that came with the device. I have a 13 digit alphanumeric password (sorry, I can't remember the exact security setting for it).

Edit: Actually been doing some research on this, and it's appearing it may be a frequency / channel issue, that the phone is broadcasting at a frequency similar to your router. Looking into exact fixes at the moment.

Last edited:

apratomo

Mar 22, 2007
Jakarta
I have no problem with wifi and multi touch.

But I noticed that two fingers cannot be very closely touched it will mingle together. For example if you hold shift button on keyboard it could act like normal shift (turn lowercase to upper or vice versa) but its very difficult to use shift + a

Also lots of games exiting on me, first I thought was multi touch acting up so I could accidentally hit home or back button. But then I think its just matter or compatibility of those games with ICS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

armanisafarai

Aug 22, 2010
Same issues here. On the samung version (dont remember the codename) i had this issue so i rooted and changed it so that google updates my phone. But this didn't help either. Still losing wifi when i am downloading. Like now i was going to download 9mm and after 2 seconds the wifi disconnect until i quit 9mm and then it pops up straight away. Can it be a hardware issue?

PS: before i change my phone brand to google, i could see the "avoid poor wifi connection" but now when i go to advanced tab it's gone :S

armanisafarai

Aug 22, 2010
Ok everytime i try to test wifi in speedtest it says network communication issues after 2 sec of testing. Any info please? Do i have a faulty unit? going crazy over here

Manacit

Jan 16, 2009
Seattle
For what it's worth, I haven't had either of these problems on my Galaxy Nexus, and it's been on a lot of WiFi networks.

I've gotten speeds in excess of 20mbit/20mbit via the speedtest.net app multiple times on the campus wifi, as well as my parents', and my dorm connections. I've downloaded the Asphalt files twice without any interruptions either time, and I've never experienced any problems.

As for multitouch - no problems with that either. To type in all caps you can hold down the caps button on the keyboard and type - it's never given me any issues. I don't think I've been in a situation where I've felt multitouch hasn't performed right.

[hfm]

Aug 21, 2009
NYC
Point 1 happens to me too. I've tried multiple ROM's. I'm getting a bit worried that it's hardware. It's dropping every few mins when I need it... then it comes back rather quick.

You have any news or has anyone else experienced it?

Multiple ROMs doesn't mean much, they all share official driver binaries and radios that are available.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

armanisafarai

Aug 22, 2010
For what it's worth, I haven't had either of these problems on my Galaxy Nexus, and it's been on a lot of WiFi networks.

I've gotten speeds in excess of 20mbit/20mbit via the speedtest.net app multiple times on the campus wifi, as well as my parents', and my dorm connections. I've downloaded the Asphalt files twice without any interruptions either time, and I've never experienced any problems.

As for multitouch - no problems with that either. To type in all caps you can hold down the caps button on the keyboard and type - it's never given me any issues. I don't think I've been in a situation where I've felt multitouch hasn't performed right.

Then i probably got a faulty unit. Will give it 2 more days and if it's still the same i'll return it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Issue 1: Multitouch issue
    - As far as I'm aware of, there is no fix yet and a lot of people are experiencing the issue. What happens is whilst in landscape mode, sometimes, if one finger is placed at the bottom left of the screen, and another is placed on the bottom right, it'll fail to recognize the second touch (bottom right). This doesn't always occur, but does happen at times.
    Simple fix: Lock the screen, then unlock it

Issue 2: Wifi consistently dropping
    While downloading files, or sometimes even watching youtube videos, the wifi icon will disappear for a split second, then come back and an error will appear along the lines of " File could not be downloaded due to an error" or in the case of the market, it'll just stop downloading and give an error.
    Fix: Sadly, the only fix that I have found so far for this issue is to get a new router. See my post here I used a Linksys WRT300N
    EDIT: Another potential fix is to change some settings with the router but I'm not sure exactly what settings are needed to be changed.
    EDIT2: I've created an issue about the wifi issue over here and according to marantz777@gmail.com:
    Im assuming you are downloading huge files using WiFi... there is a notorious bug still unresolved on DHCP leasing time. If your route is settled to infinite (0 or ffffffff) a local timeout of few minutes is applied, thus the download broke and resume time by time because dhcp renewal. To fix this try to adjust your route settings indicating a discrete leasing time (i.e. 24 hours or 2 days) and thi should fix this specific issue (also noticeble when watching youtube videos, that may freeze after few minutes).
    Hope this helps.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone,

Also shown here:

Thanks so much guys,
    Mosh
    Nr. 1 is probably not the phones fault, try another router.

sorry dario, but you obviously are too much of a "quick-answer-guy"
    if you searched a couple of minutes for the wifi issues on the GN you would definitely know that it has nothing to do with any routers
    people around the globe are experiencing wifi issues with ALL routers in ALL places. wanna reconfigure all of them to make them work with the GN?

read before you post such pseudo.expert advise

again: sorry that i sound a little bit offending, but i just am done with samsung AND with people always going at the routers, when all other devices are working perfectly with these routers. from a technical point of view this approach is just pure nonsense.

i talked yesterday with a samsung partner repair shop and the guy admitted that allthough the GN on the paper is just perfect, in reality it is just too poorly conceived and will bring harm to a lot of people. google and samsung are acting out of big pressure and hammering products out of their labs without the necessary time and quality testing.

and we, the consumers, are going to be their employees in disguise. but instead of getting paid, we pay ourselves with our money AND our time.

so. that just had to be said.
    I too am having wifi issues, it's just not stable and keeps spiking
    I can't even watch youtube as it is now, takes a minute for a vid to load and once it starts it only buffers to like 25% then stops there for over a minute. I've tried loading the same clip from both my galaxy s2 and samsung tab 10.1, from the same WiFi ofc, and they both load it instantly without a single hickup.
    Using static IPs for all three devices and i've tried swopping these around aswell, still its only the GN giving me trouble.

I've been running speed tests on the GN and the S2 and while the S2 provides a very stable graph, the GNs looks like a freaking mountain pass. It's maxed out one sec to then jump right back down to basically zero.

Not really sure what i should do next, very dissapointed
    I don't think we should have to mess with our routers to get the WIFI to work.

As I've said earlier I've had no success with teh wifi In airport or other public areas. Its one thing for me to change my WIFi setting on my personal router. It is a completely different thing for me to have problems on public connections. What am I supposed to do? Go to the customer service and ask them if they can reset their router or change their wireless settings?

So even If I am able to get my phone to acheive a stable connection in my home (which I am not) that doesn't even matter If I cant use it when I am out of the house. Which is what MOBILE phone is for.

regards
    LINKS TO DISCUSS AND GET THE ISSUE EXPEDITED TO BE AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGED OR RESOLVED.
    Android Central TIPS- http://www.androidcentral.com/contact

Phandroid - http://phandroid.com/tips/

GET TO IT!!!!!!!!!

also..if you have twitter...follow and message to @joshuatopolsky

he is a HUGE fan of the galaxy nexus..named it one of the best, if not THE best smartphone ever...and uses it. if there was ever a person to pic and push this..its this guy...real powerhouse in the tech community.