Remove Nav Bar Permanently

Search This thread

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
At Your Own Risk!!! I Am Not Responsible For Anything You Do To Your Device
So if you are like me you're tired of looking at the gaudy version of a nav bar and soft keys that amazon has come up with. So I started looking around for a way to modify the soft keys to look more like stock android. I may at some point dive into the framework and rewrite portions to do this, but in my search I came across an old method for removing the nav bar altogether. It is a very simple build.prop edit and at the same time adds some screen real-estate. I've confirmed this does work on this device, check out the screenshots below.

How to(rooted device):
1- You will first need a soft key/nav buttons app(once this is done the stock keys will be gone, and kinda hard to navigate without some). I like using Button Savior, it allows you to place the soft keys anywhere around the perimeter of the screen, and has multiple themes you can use. Also if you have the paid version you can change the number and position of buttons
2- Using a file manager navigate to /system/build.prop file
3- Open build.prop with a text editor, scroll to the end and on a new line enter:
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
4- Save and reboot.

Now there are ways to do this with launchers but it will not be permanently removed and will still show up in apps.
To get stock keys back just delete the line you entered in the build.prop and reboot

Attachments

• 2012.12.09-10.17.22.jpg
    2012.12.09-10.17.22.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 4,107
  • 2012.12.09-10.41.42.jpg
    2012.12.09-10.41.42.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 3,666
  • 2012.12.09-10.42.29.jpg
    2012.12.09-10.42.29.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 3,379
Last edited:

steve2711

Feb 2, 2010
Vero Beach Fl.
Remove soft keys

So if you are like me you're tired of looking at the gaudy version of a nav bar and soft keys that amazon has come up with. So I started looking around for a way to modify the soft keys to look more like stock android. I may at some point dive into the framework and rewrite portions to do this, but in my search I came across an old method for removing the nav bar altogether. It is a very simple build.prop edit and at the same time adds some screen real-estate. I've confirmed this does work on this device, check out the screenshots below.

How to(rooted device):
1- You will first need a soft key/nav buttons app(once this is done the stock keys will be gone, and kinda hard to navigate without some). I like using Button Savior, it allows you to place the soft keys anywhere around the perimeter of the screen, and has multiple themes you can use. Also if you have the paid version you can change the number and position of buttons
3- Open build.prop with a text editor, scroll to the end and on a new line enter:
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
4- Save and reboot.

Now there are ways to do this with launchers but it will not be permanently removed and will still show up in apps.
To get stock keys back just delete the line you entered in the build.prop and reboot
Hello
Just wanted to say thanks for the above info. It all works great and the extra room on the screen is appreciated. By the way, I am using CM 10 rom on my RAZR M, and it works great there as well. Doesn't work perfectly on the stock RAZR M, although both soft keys and header info (3G/4G-signal strength, etc).are removed as well, but there is a System.UI closing warning. However, it does work on the stock if the added directions are removed from build.prop in text editor, but NO reboot. Otherwise the stock keys return.

BELASCO

Nov 28, 2012
H-Town, Texas

How to(rooted device):
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
4- Save and reboot.

Works fine on my recently re-rooted 7.2.2 - went ahead & sprung for the pro so I could remap the phone key to something useful ("calling home", going to the original home so I can read books. I sometimes forget that's what I originally bought it for).

Thanks.

ayaxxa

Dec 27, 2009
Sadly, i must say that i detected an issue. Some apps that are coming with an own menu-button lost this button, e.g. Aldiko (app to read books) or google chrome. In chrome, the menu can be accessed with the menu-button that comes with button saviour, but the menu of Aldiko can't be accessed at all.

:(

Sent from my rooted Kindle Fire HD

iMJets

Sep 25, 2012
New York
This will work for me until cm 10 comes out. Confirmed working on Kindle Fire HD 7". This also fixes the issue of the keyboard in landscape mode.

xxsurfacexx

Dec 11, 2012
Wow, this is the greatest thing I have done to my kindle yet, make sure to install button savior first or else you are gonna be having a hard time fixing it. Couldnt access my root to change the build prop back to install button savior, luckily i was able to download the apk file on my computer and transfer it over and install it. Set it to appear when i swipe from the right corner...and goes away after 5 seconds..different themes... and alot of options when it comes to using custom triggers. Found a pro version on google, works flawless.

hellbrandt

Apr 16, 2008
Nice tip, I used button saviour previously on my HTC Desire and found it to be a great piece of kit, but I've noticed that while using it on my Kindle, particularly in portrait mode, when the button saviour bar is closed there is a flicker lower down the screen which is very annoying. Its as though it repositions itself at the bottom of the screen before closing. I'm using the pro version as well, so it's not got anything to do with that.

For now I've gone back to the default nav bar - it is annoying that there is no autohide for that really as otherwise it does the job. There must be a way to autohide it as some apps do that.

rockystar000

Nov 7, 2008
I also had the no menu button problem. I had to go back to stock nav bar till that is figured out..oh well

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk HD

rockystar000

Nov 7, 2008
Yeah i know but with out stock nav bar the menu button doesn't do anything. For instance if i set it up with a menu button on button savior but no nav bar when an app should have a menu button it wouldn't be there any more. The button savior menu button also does nothing when u click it. If the stock nav bar is their however then the button savior menu button works again and it appears in the app again

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
Yeah i know but with out stock nav bar the menu button doesn't do anything. For instance if i set it up with a menu button on button savior but no nav bar when an app should have a menu button it wouldn't be there any more. The button savior menu button also does nothing when u click it. If the stock nav bar is their however then the button savior menu button works again and it appears in the app again

I had noticed this, but not the part about the menu working with the bar there. perhaps we could mod the framework-res.apk to set the height to 0 or something then we would not need to do the qemu.hw.mainkeys=1..

cmullins135

Feb 20, 2011
About the file edit?

When I open the file and type the new line in.. It will not let me save it. Is it write protected or something? How do I get past this?

bdeatha

Dec 17, 2012
Thanks!

thanks alot for sharing.ill give it a try in my kindle fire hd 7" keep it up and GODBless!

evildread

Nov 26, 2012
You're a life saver, man! Couldn't stand the huge bar Amazon thought looked good

Edit: Is there any way to make it so Button Savior automatically acquire super user privileges upon boot, without having to interact with it first?
An unimportant request, but would be pretty awesome

Sent from my KF-HD7

Last edited:

SerialKilla

Jan 3, 2010
NY
searched, but couldn't find it - but can anyone point me to a method for removing the amazon adds when in lockscreen mode? I can't stand it...! Lol... Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How to(rooted device):
    Code:
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
    4- Save and reboot.

Works on 7" KFHD, too. Just set up, very cool. Big thanks :)

Sent from my rooted Kindle Fire HD
    getting your submenu back in Google play or whatever app

I had noticed this, but not the part about the menu working with the bar there. perhaps we could mod the framework-res.apk to set the height to 0 or something then we would not need to do the qemu.hw.mainkeys=1..

If you change
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

I use button savior you will get your submenus back, ok lost the three dots in Google play for applications and this fixed my issue. Instead of

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 , I used qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 after I originally set at 1, hope it helps.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

If you change
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

I use button savior you will get your submenus back, ok lost the three dots in Google play for applications and this fixed my issue. Instead of

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 , I used qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 after I originally set at 1, hope it helps.

I forgot to mention I froze the soft key bar service and disabled the startup too, as well as keeping qemu.hw.mainkeys at 0. Note the bar will be there if
    You go to Kiindle store but only the favorite icon will show up.
    I've been wondering this very same thing for two weeks now myself. Would love if somebody came up with a solution because I do enjoy not having the navbar and being able to use LMT instead. I tried lowering the dpi in build.prop, which does bring back the dot menu for a few apps, but not all. Plus, I'm not very fond of the text being any smaller.

make sure lmt is set to startup after loading

change this setting back to 0
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 to qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

open /system/app
    rename SoftkeyBar.apk to SoftkeyBar.bak
    reboot

jjwhsw.png