[Q] Google Search 3.4

Search This thread

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew how long it normally took for google app update rollouts. Apparently version 3.4 of google search came out last Wed. When I look at the app in the play store it says the last update was on May 2nd. What's weird is when I scroll down it says that the update is 3.3 (which is what I have). Also, when I look at reviews, the ones from May 2nd show up as "old version". I tried this on my N5, N7 2013, and on my sister's N7 2012, and all three devices are the same. The N5 and N7 2013 are on the same account and the older N7 is on a different one. I'm using gravity box to change the dpi of my navigation keys on my N5, and I heard sometimes play store messes up when you do that, but seeing as the problem occurs on my non-rooted tablets it can't be that. Anyone else not getting the update?

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
I used to have that problem with some apps and I'd have to go to Android Police or other external source. But as far as GAPPS are concerned, I'd look at the 0day PA GAPPS thread

1. You won't be monitoring for a new update
2. You have the latest of every Google App

The Nexus 5 advocate (Team Inferno)

Last edited:
Reactions: PsychDrummer

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
I used to have that problem with some apps and I'd have to go to Android Police or other external source. But as far as GAPPS are concerned, I'd look at the 0day PA GAPPS thread

So even though I have use the stock ROM I should overwrite the GAPPS with those?

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
You can. All you're essentially doing is overwriting the current GAPPS on your phone located in system/app and system/priv-app with the one from the package. I've done it a few times. Stock and a few aosp ROMs. As always, with anything I'd always make a nandroid better safe than sorry.

Assuming you're only after one app, Android Police releases leaked Google Apps as soon as they have them. Just Google search your title of this thread and Android Police.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
You can. All you're essentially doing is overwriting the current GAPPS on your phone located in system/app and system/priv-app with the one from the package. I've done it a few times. Stock and a few aosp ROMs. As always, with anything I'd always make a nandroid better safe than sorry.

Assuming you're only after one app, Android Police releases leaked Google Apps as soon as they have them. Just Google search your title of this thread and Android Police.

Got it, thanks a lot. I was just curious why it wasn't updating itself on three different devices almost a week after it was rolled out. What I also find weird is, after updating using the android police link, in the play store it still shows 3.3 as latest.

Reactions: TheLastSidekick

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Got it, thanks a lot. I was just curious why it wasn't updating itself on three different devices almost a week after it was rolled out. What I also find weird is, after updating using the android police link, in the play store it still shows 3.3 as latest.

You may need to delete it manually either use a root Uninstaller or Root file Explorer and hunt down the Velvet.apk in system/app or system/priv-app (I can't remember which of the two and delete it and try installing) then try reinstalling the Android Police one. Should work, if not try wiping caches and rebooting.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
You may need to delete it manually either use a root Uninstaller or Root file Explorer and hunt down the Velvet.apk in system/app or system/priv-app (I can't remember which of the two and delete it and try installing) then try reinstalling the Android Police one. Should work, if not try wiping caches and rebooting.

Wiping cache for play store or google search?

Edit: Hmm, I cleared the data/cache for play store and cache for google search and rebooted still nothing. I guess it's fine though. Hopefully once the next update comes it will fix itself.

Last edited:

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Wiping cache for play store or google search?

Edit: Hmm, I cleared the data/cache for play store and cache for google search and rebooted still nothing. I guess it's fine though. Hopefully once the next update comes it will fix itself.

I meant through recovery. However, I did get a Google Search update today. Maybe that was it?

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
I meant through recovery. However, I did get a Google Search update today. Maybe that was it?

Yeah, I did as well. Now it's showing everything correctly. Btw, I saw that my thread was moved. I read that app and accessory related questions go in the app and accessory forums, respectively. Was I wrong? If so I'll make sure to put all questions in the Q/A section.

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Yeah, I did as well. Now it's showing everything correctly. Btw, I saw that my thread was moved. I read that app and accessory related questions go in the app and accessory forums, respectively. Was I wrong? If so I'll make sure to put all questions in the Q/A section.

I'm not the moderation team, but coming from rules if I understand them correctly all questions about apps/devices pertaining to the device your using goes under the Q&A forum of your device.Glad to see that the official Google app push corrected the information for you. The app may have been installed, but because it wasn't officially pushed to Google Play yet, you weren't seeing the correct version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm not the moderation team, but coming from rules if I understand them correctly all questions about apps/devices pertaining to the device your using goes under the Q&A forum of your device.Glad to see that the official Google app push corrected the information for you. The app may have been installed, but because it wasn't officially pushed to Google Play yet, you weren't seeing the correct version.