[Q] Droid 4 connection issues

do you have connectivity issues on the STOCK rom?

• Total voters
Search This thread

liquidoc

Sep 1, 2008
Has anyone else noticed their DROID 4 dropping data connectivity seemingly randomly and requiring a reboot to pick it back up? I know that I am...and I'm wondering if Motorola can't make it hang onto a data connection how hash is ever going to mmake it work right.

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
I haven't had any issues with data at all... LTE/3G handoffs work perfectly and everything ...And no worries, I am confident the data issues will be sorted out on the ics builds!

twizzles

Mar 4, 2012
I have them issues. If connected via wifi no problem. But still wont be connected to the network. Requires a reboot to aquire network back

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

liquidoc

Sep 1, 2008
I haven't had any issues with data at all... LTE/3G handoffs work perfectly and everything ...And no worries, I am confident the data issues will be sorted out on the ics builds!

Are you running on a rooted DROID 4 with safe strap installed? Just trying to narrow down the possibilities.

twizzles

Mar 4, 2012
For the record.
Rooted and safestrap installed running stick

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
Are you running on a rooted DROID 4 with safe strap installed? Just trying to narrow down the possibilities.

Rooted stock, no safestrap.

Though I doubt safestrap is causing data issues, or fixing them for that matter.

While I do plan on flashing some custom ROMs at some point, I have to admit that I'm very happy with the stock rom. Performance is very good, smart actions are actually pretty great (though there are of course 3rd party apps that do the same thing), and the camera app works pretty well.

My only complaint are the window transitions, blech. Yea, you can disable them, but then all the eye candy goes away completely! Ah Moto, why no middle ground? :D

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
I have had data connection issues on all the ICS ROMs but data on stock has been pretty solid.

Aloth600

Mar 30, 2009
Englewood, Colorado
Did you just port your number from another carrier to verizon? I had the same issue plus some and called verizon and they fixed it on their end. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

deturbanator

Apr 5, 2012
I had a few problems with my data just going out for a few minutes on the stock rom. I would be browsing the web, and then a page would just not load. I noticed my signal indicator was grey and not blue, and thus I wasn't getting a data connection. I just waited a few minutes and it came back up.

I never really though too much into it because I expect these small things to happen on such a big wireless network.

ian3d

Jul 16, 2011
IL
I had a few problems with my data just going out for a few minutes on the stock rom. I would be browsing the web, and then a page would just not load. I noticed my signal indicator was grey and not blue, and thus I wasn't getting a data connection. I just waited a few minutes and it came back up.

I never really though too much into it because I expect these small things to happen on such a big wireless network.

This is exactly what happens to me. It almost seems like a session timing out and renewing but I don't have a clue how the LTE network works.

AvengedZombie

Jul 19, 2011
I'm also having connection problems from time to time. I'm in a 3G only area. I'm running a stock non-rooted phone. Usually, I can get the connection back with a reboot. It's still a pain in the ass, I shouldn't have to deal with. I've called Verizon a few times. Its like talking to a wall with them. They act like you are the dumbest person in the world. Hopefully the next update can clear this problem.

eAbyss

Jul 16, 2012
Bremerton
After dealing with this problem for over 2 months I finally found an answer.
I have had this problem since day 2 and after getting the run around several times at the Verizon store (They claimed it was because they were upgrading to LTE in the area, which they said we'd have within 1 month over 2 months ago) they told me there was nothing they could do and suggested I call tech support (I don't know why I didn't think of that). I called tech support and talked to a very helpful woman, after describing my problem to her she asked me what phone I had, she knew the issue right after I told her it was the Droid 4. She told me it was a well known issue with the Droid 4 and that they expect a patch to be released at the end of the month (July) that would address the problem. She said that some people have had temporary success with toggling airplane mode (this has never worked for me but rebooting a few times does) and that having WiFi on, even when your not connected, can knock your data connection out (I have been able to reproduce this once so far).
So that's it. Keep your WiFi off when you don't need it, reboot when you have problems, and hopefully it will be fixed at the end of July.

I'm very disappointed with my Verizon store. Some of the employees I talked to owned a Droid 4 themselves and said they had the same problem and still claimed it was tower work. Either they were misinformed, stupid, or they were lying to me (who wants to buy a broken phone).

Reactions: AvengedZombie

silverfang77

Jan 20, 2010
My Droid 4 does this in 4G mode. I've read that it's due to the nature of SIM cards. The network constantly vets and authorizes the card's access. If this vetting fails, you get the "white out", as I call it. It might clear up on the next pass, or you might have to reboot. My "solution" is to keep it in 3G mode. As for getting a fix at the end of the month, I'm not holding my breath, as I've read that that's VZW's standard response to just get the customer to shut up and go away.

my_username

Oct 29, 2010
I've been having the data dropping issue as well for the past few weeks. Running stock GB, rooted with safe strap, but have yet to flash a custom ROM. I thought the issue might be because I'm on a legacy Alltel plan with PRL 14012, which is way outdated...

Well, today I believe I finally found the source of what was causing the issue for me personally, from an unexpected source...Flipboard.

I've found myself glancing at it a bunch at red lights when I'm driving, or sitting in a waiting room, etc. Today I was driving though, and noted towards the end of my trip that this was the first time in weeks the phone hadn't once lost it's data connection for the entire drive. After reflecting for a moment on what, if anything, was different about this excursion, the only thing I could come up with is that I hadn't used Flipboard since I left the house. Even though my initial reaction was to seriously doubt a respectable app like that could cause such an issue, I had nothing else to go on. So, for the hell of it, I picked up my phone and fired up Flipboard...

Within 5-10 seconds of clicking it...BAM...gray 4g icon and no data would load. Needless to say, I uninstalled Flip**** right away...then reinstalled so I could comment on it in the market, then uninstalled again, and haven't dropped data at all in the last several hours. I also took note that a guy with a Droid Razr Maxx left a comment complaining that Flipboard was actually causing random reboots for him.

I don't know if any of you have Flip**** installed, or why you're having similar data issues, but if any of you do happen to have it installed, try uninstalling from the phone...not the market. Then, turn your phone off, pull out the SD card and SIM for a moment or so, put them back in, power up the device, and see if that might possibly help alleviate the constant data dropping. If I find I start dropping data again, without Flipboard installed, I'll update this post. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvengedZombie

silverfang77

Jan 20, 2010
No Flipboard on my phone. I'm glad you found an answer to your problem though.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

AvengedZombie

Jul 19, 2011
I've been having problems since Verizon turned on 4G LTE in my area. Once a day I have to remove my SIM card. If I don't, the 4G is very unreliable. Could it be a bad SIM card? Or maybe the fact that they just activated it here and they're working out the bugs? Anyone have any ideas?

I also forgot to mention, I've got a Motorola XOOM 4G LTE And have had not one single connection problem since 4G went live in my area.

Last edited:

bane58

Jul 12, 2011
I just have the data connection issue when ever i flip on wifi then disable it .. a reboot is required for data to work again regardless if i force 3g or if i am trying to use lte.. guessing it is a software bug.. i never seem to have a connection issue if wifi wasnt used prior.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 18, 2008
My only complaint are the window transitions, blech. Yea, you can disable them, but then all the eye candy goes away completely! Ah Moto, why no middle ground? :D

I know this thread and comment are old, but if you use Spare Parts, you can change the Window Transition speed to Fast and then your phone seems much faster/smoother. Don't mess with Window Animation speed if you want to keep th TV-like power off blip.

Reactions: podspi

KrellaKrentoshi

Jul 24, 2012
My Droid 4 Connection Issues

I've been having the data dropping issue as well for the past few weeks. Running stock GB, rooted with safe strap, but have yet to flash a custom ROM. I thought the issue might be because I'm on a legacy Alltel plan with PRL 14012, which is way outdated...

Well, today I believe I finally found the source of what was causing the issue for me personally, from an unexpected source...Flipboard.

I've found myself glancing at it a bunch at red lights when I'm driving, or sitting in a waiting room, etc. Today I was driving though, and noted towards the end of my trip that this was the first time in weeks the phone hadn't once lost it's data connection for the entire drive. After reflecting for a moment on what, if anything, was different about this excursion, the only thing I could come up with is that I hadn't used Flipboard since I left the house. Even though my initial reaction was to seriously doubt a respectable app like that could cause such an issue, I had nothing else to go on. So, for the hell of it, I picked up my phone and fired up Flipboard...

Within 5-10 seconds of clicking it...BAM...gray 4g icon and no data would load. Needless to say, I uninstalled Flip**** right away...then reinstalled so I could comment on it in the market, then uninstalled again, and haven't dropped data at all in the last several hours. I also took note that a guy with a Droid Razr Maxx left a comment complaining that Flipboard was actually causing random reboots for him.

I don't know if any of you have Flip**** installed, or why you're having similar data issues, but if any of you do happen to have it installed, try uninstalling from the phone...not the market. Then, turn your phone off, pull out the SD card and SIM for a moment or so, put them back in, power up the device, and see if that might possibly help alleviate the constant data dropping. If I find I start dropping data again, without Flipboard installed, I'll update this post. Good luck.

I don't have Flipboard, however I noticed connection issues within 12 hours of getting my phone. At the time it was stock GB. I took it back to the store, he called tech support. Between the 2 of them, my phone was hard reset, the SD and SIM cards were pulled and the phone rebooted, they fiddled with settings, tech support tried to turn on data from their end, nothing worked. I noticed I lost my data connection when the Smart Action for battery saver clicked on. It was like it got stuck and the phone couldn't turn on data anymore. I did a factory reboot, and got data back. I turned on that first smart action, lost data connection again, it wouldn't turn back on. So I did another factory reboot, disabled that "Smart" Action, and been ok since then. I do still loose my connection, but I am able to get it back if I turn wifi on. Not sure why, but it works most of the time. Some days I still have data if I turn my wifi off, other days i have to leave wifi on if I want to use my 4g. I have my phone rooted, running GB and loving Spirit FM..(Having FM radio was the only reason why I rooted my phone..can't live without my FM!!) Is there anything I can do to get my data connection to stay on?

BTW an OTA update has occured for GB, but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After dealing with this problem for over 2 months I finally found an answer.
    I have had this problem since day 2 and after getting the run around several times at the Verizon store (They claimed it was because they were upgrading to LTE in the area, which they said we'd have within 1 month over 2 months ago) they told me there was nothing they could do and suggested I call tech support (I don't know why I didn't think of that). I called tech support and talked to a very helpful woman, after describing my problem to her she asked me what phone I had, she knew the issue right after I told her it was the Droid 4. She told me it was a well known issue with the Droid 4 and that they expect a patch to be released at the end of the month (July) that would address the problem. She said that some people have had temporary success with toggling airplane mode (this has never worked for me but rebooting a few times does) and that having WiFi on, even when your not connected, can knock your data connection out (I have been able to reproduce this once so far).
    So that's it. Keep your WiFi off when you don't need it, reboot when you have problems, and hopefully it will be fixed at the end of July.

I'm very disappointed with my Verizon store. Some of the employees I talked to owned a Droid 4 themselves and said they had the same problem and still claimed it was tower work. Either they were misinformed, stupid, or they were lying to me (who wants to buy a broken phone).

I know this thread and comment are old, but if you use Spare Parts, you can change the Window Transition speed to Fast and then your phone seems much faster/smoother. Don't mess with Window Animation speed if you want to keep th TV-like power off blip.