[ROOT][HOW TO] Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Search This thread

qtpcert

Apr 27, 2013
Can we have a bluetooth GPS in kinology, if yes then how..I am trying to run the GPS on my kinlde fire HD...with kinology as the stock rom

zeodroid

May 27, 2013
Garmin bluetooth gps KFHD7

I am running 7.3.1 on KFHD7, I have rooted, allowed mock locations, paired with the Garmin Glo bluetooth gps, all successfully, but when I try to connect with bluetooth gps none work. The googoo version won't install (although it does on my droid charge phone and works perfectly there), the mobilej version installs but fails when trying to connect, the turboirc version installs but says connection failed.

I also tried wifi tether through my phone and couldn't get this to work. Ideally I would be able to connect directly to the gps because I plan to use while piloting for navigation purposes. I appreciate any help or troubleshooting measures.

kgyuszko,

As promised, we got you several choices to try on the Kindle - be sure you enable Mock Location (on the Kindle) per the instructions.

***WE HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO TEST THESE APPS - WE USE THE PREFERRED METHOD***

First attempt to install the app, if the install fails, move the from the /sdcard/Download folder to /system/app and change the permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read - reboot and test each application. If the app fails to work, go back to /system/app and remove the application.

Step 2.1: Download and Install Googoo Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.2: Download and Install Mobilej Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.3: Download and Install Turboirc Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)

*These apps are designed to connect a Bluetooth GPS Device to the Kindle Fire like the Dual XGPS150A - the 3 apps are NOT designed to connect a phone GPS to your Kindle Fire.

martie01

May 18, 2013
Kindle Fire HD Wi Fi

In line with others, the Kindle Fire comes with standard capabilities for 2.5 and 5.0 GHZ frequencies for added Wi- Fi options. Also the download speeds are quite better than the iPad. Just thought I'd add.

gflorezarroyo

Dec 30, 2012
Madrid
Only "Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Turboirc aka Michael Chourdakis) works, but needs some attempts. Once tied works but every now an then loses track for a second....and then returns...

Is the only solution by now in 7.3.1. Soon I'll make test with the new 7.4.1.
-
The problem is with "Mock Locations", that make hang the other better "providers". I think it is a protection from Amazon, as "Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Movilej) worked with the former 7.2.4. version.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Oh! I'm repeating.... But for all that have followed the tuto from prokennexusa, you ought to know that it was for the Kindle with 7.2.4 and earlier versions. On 7.3.0 Amazon introduced the protection that hang every app(wifi or BT) that access "Allow Mock Locations"........

Last edited:

zeodroid

May 27, 2013
Bluetooth GPS (Garmin)

Yes, I tried Bluetooth GPS Provider (by Michael Chourdakis) and it attempts connection then fails. I have Mock Locations enabled (aka a value of 1) but I did so not using adb, but with KFHD xSettings (by 0xD34D). I checked the SQL file and enable mock locations is indeed true (1).

Any ideas on why the app is still failing? I tried moving to system/apps and restarting.

Only "Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Turboirc aka Michael Chourdakis) works, but needs some attempts. Once tied works but every now an then loses track for a second....and then returns...

Is the only solution by now in 7.3.1. Soon I'll make test with the new 7.4.1.
-
The problem is with "Mock Locations", that make hang the other better "providers". I think it is a protection from Amazon, as "Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Movilej) worked with the former 7.2.4. version.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Oh! I'm repeating.... But for all that have followed the tuto from prokennexusa, you ought to know that it was for the Kindle with 7.2.4 and earlier versions. On 7.3.0 Amazon introduced the protection that hang every app(wifi or BT) that access "Allow Mock Locations"........

gflorezarroyo

Dec 30, 2012
Madrid
My Kindle runs in Kinology rom, but today I've installed the new stock 7.4.1 to know if there are some changes in Amazon's GPS politics, but.........no.

The same apps don't work, the only that work has the same behaviour....

Now I'm back comfortably in Kinology.....

Last edited:

zeodroid

May 27, 2013
Still not working

I have tried numerous times to connect to the bluetooth gps device (Garmin Glo) and they have all failed. The device successfully paired using bluepair, however, not one of the 3 bluetooth gps apps are able to connect to it. They all fail in one way or another as per my last post. I have just updated to 7.4.1 from 7.3.1 and I have the same issues.

I am contemplating trying a new rom. Can you confirm these apps work with Kinology and which version? What else could be the issue?

My Kindle runs in Kinology rom, but today I've installed the new stock 7.4.1 to know if there are some changes in Amazon's GPS politics, but.........no.

The same apps don't work, the only that work has the same behaviour....

Now I'm back comfortably in Kinology.....

gflorezarroyo

Dec 30, 2012
Madrid
The problem with GPS and Kindle is that almost all programs location-aware need to interact with the OS to collect coordinates. Amazon has protected the machine against real GPS and apps related but provides a weak location service by asking the global positions of the wifi routers of the surroundings and triangulating them.¿? but if you are outside of a city or village it doesn't work.

"Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Michael Chourdakis) works for me. I've also tested it using my android phone as a GPS dongle with the demo of "GPS Bluetooth"(Meowbox) or other similar apps inside it, and the system worked.

My GPS dongle is a cheap Zaapa touch. You can test a Phone(converted to GPS dongle) to discard the incompatibility of the Garmin with the Kindle.

All the tests I've done where with stock roms, Kinology and Hashcode CM10.1.

Upto 7.2.4 AmazonOS doesn't permitted to pair a GPS Bluetooth dongle nor install GPS apps, but once paired "GPS Bluetooth provider"(Movile J.de) sideloaded worked.
Now from 7.3.1 is permited to pair but Amazon has imposed a protection on "mock locations" and you must use the buggy "Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Michael Chourdakis) instead.

Kinology is affected as it actually is based on AmazonOS 7.3.1. On the other hand, Hashcode beta rom is free of limitations, all works for me, even the excellent "Bluetooth gps" from Googoo, that didn't install before 7.3.1, but you lose the Amazon environment....

The only solution I see is downgrade to 7.2.3 or to wait hopefully psych0phobia(creator of Kinology) to remove the protection on the next review of his rom, as he is on notice. I think his new version is ready yet, but Amazon runs quicker than him with the updates....Three revisions in 15 days...!

As you have paired, you also can try Trekbuddy(market free), a clever app that interacts directly with your GPS dongle.....

If Trekbuddy suits you, you can create maps for it with a free PC program called Mobile Atlas creator 1.8(not the 1,9, protected!) that extracts tiles from various web pages like Google maps....

Last edited:
Reactions: Billion123

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Update

To All-

I am back after a long bout of health issues. I have changed everything, my diet to my lifestyle.

I am really sorry for the people caught in the cross fire of my health, I will make it up to you over time.

I will begin to reply, slowly! Be patient. Those who have devices in my possession will be repaired in the next month, sorry for the delay but I was unable to do anything over the last months.

Best Regards,

Chris Bryant
Prokennexusa

Ludo Spinone

May 11, 2013
How does Trekbuddy do it?

The problem with GPS and Kindle is that almost all programs location-aware need to interact with the OS to collect coordinates. Amazon has protected the machine against real GPS and apps related but provides a weak location service by asking the global positions of the wifi routers of the surroundings and triangulating them.¿? but if you are outside of a city or village it doesn't work.

"Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Michael Chourdakis) works for me. I've also tested it using my android phone as a GPS dongle with the demo of "GPS Bluetooth"(Meowbox) or other similar apps inside it, and the system worked.

My GPS dongle is a cheap Zaapa touch. You can test a Phone(converted to GPS dongle) to discard the incompatibility of the Garmin with the Kindle.

Upto 7.2.4 AmazonOS doesn't permitted to pair a GPS Bluetooth dongle nor install GPS apps, but once paired "GPS Bluetooth provider"(Movile J.de) sideloaded worked.
Now from 7.3.1 is permited to pair but Amazon has imposed a protection on "mock locations" and you must use the buggy "Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Michael Chourdakis) instead.

Kinology is affected as it actually is based on AmazonOS 7.3.1. On the other hand, Hashcode beta rom is free of limitations, all works for me, even the excellent "Bluetooth gps" from Googoo, that didn't install before 7.3.1, but you lose the Amazon environment....

The only solution I see is downgrade to 7.2.3 or to wait hopefully psych0phobia(creator of Kinology) to remove the protection on the next review of his rom, as he is on notice. I think his new version is ready yet, but Amazon runs quicker than him with the updates....Three revisions in 15 days...!

As you have paired, you also can try Trekbuddy(market free), a clever app that interacts directly with your GPS dongle.....

If Trekbuddy suits you, you can create maps for it with a free PC program called Mobile Atlas creator 1.8(not the 1,9, protected!) that extracts tiles from various web pages like Google maps....

I have paired a co-pilot BT 359 with my rooted fire HD (7.3.1) Like most others I can only get Bluetooth GPS Provider by Michael Chourdakis to install with the usual unsatisfactory results. Very often my position is in the middle of the North Sea ! It works well enough to show you on a static map where you are at any given time but does not seem to feed a moving position reliably. I would love to be able to use Mapfactors Navigator Free which I sideloaded and looks really good just like a genuine sat nav. I tried Trekbuddy and was amazed that it connects with or without 'allow mock locations' enabled. I built a local map with Mobile Atlas creator which Trekbuddy followed very precisely. Does anyone know how Trekbuddy gets it's information and whether that method would feed into another navigation app ?

Ludo Spinone

May 11, 2013
How does Trekbuddy do it ?

To All-

I am back after a long bout of health issues. I have changed everything, my diet to my lifestyle.

I am really sorry for the people caught in the cross fire of my health, I will make it up to you over time.

I will begin to reply, slowly! Be patient. Those who have devices in my possession will be repaired in the next month, sorry for the delay but I was unable to do anything over the last months.

Best Regards,

Chris Bryant
Prokennexusa

I have paired a co-pilot BT 359 with my rooted fire HD (7.3.1) Like most others I can only get Bluetooth GPS Provider by Michael Chourdakis to install with the usual unsatisfactory results. Very often my position is in the middle of the North Sea ! It works well enough to show you on a static map where you are at any given time but does not seem to feed a moving position reliably. I would love to be able to use Mapfactors Navigator Free which I sideloaded and looks really good just like a genuine sat nav. I tried Trekbuddy and was amazed that it connects with or without 'allow mock locations' enabled. I built a local map with Mobile Atlas creator which Trekbuddy followed very precisely. Does anyone know how Trekbuddy gets it's information and whether that method would feed into another navigation app ?

joecoop

Nov 1, 2009
Tether GPS

Ok, I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I rooted my 1st gen Kindle Fire with no problems. When I try to download Tether GPS from wither the Amazon App store or Google Play Store, it says it's not compatible with my device and won't let me download. What am I missing?

Thanks!

SpinnZ916

Jan 18, 2014
No smartphone, is Dongle an absolute must?

Hello everyone, I have a Kindle Fire HD 7" that I just received for Christmas and have been trying to get a game named Parallel Kingdom (PK AOA) to work but it automatically shuts down every time I try to open it. I had to download it through 1mobile.com which might also be a problem but this other thread feels it's the GPS issue as well ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2083830 ). I don't own a smartphone and I don't know what a "Dongle" is or how it would work with a Kindle.

Can anyone explain if there is another option? I only use wi-fi on my kindle, perhaps there is an app that runs in the background that will help with GPS locations based on wi-fi connection? I've been able to get my Kindle rooted but it's version 11.3.1.0 and apparently not much seems to work past rooting, I've even been informed by senior member LinearEquation that not even googleplay store works. ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069329&page=21 ).

I used to think I was tech-savvy until I got this Kindle and have been working tirelessly on it just so that it would function like ANY OTHER tablet would. I'm very disappointed with Amazon and their sub-par market, if only my mother had never talked to the random guy in the store that suggested this steaming pile of circuitry crud.

bill2013

Sep 15, 2013
Googoo Bluetooth GPS doesn't work well on Kindle Fire HD.

kgyuszko,

As promised, we got you several choices to try on the Kindle - be sure you enable Mock Location (on the Kindle) per the instructions.

First attempt to install the app, if the install fails, move the from the /sdcard/Download folder to /system/app and change the permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read - reboot and test each application. If the app fails to work, go back to /system/app and remove the application.

Step 2.1: Download and Install Googoo Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.2: Download and Install Mobilej Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.3: Download and Install Turboirc Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)

*These apps are designed to connect a Bluetooth GPS Device to the Kindle Fire like the Dual XGPS150A - the 3 apps are NOT designed to connect a phone GPS to your Kindle Fire.

================
I install Sygic on my Kindle Fire HD and download several apps to connect it with a bluetooth GPS receiver. I tried Bluetooth GPS Provider, it doesn't work. I tried Googoo Bluetooth GPS. Though it works great on my android phone by enabling "Allow Mock GPS Location" option, this option doesn't work on Kindle Fire. Whenever I turn this option on, the app crashes and stops working. If I don't enable this option, Sygic Navigation can not get the external bluetooth GPS information and can not locate.

Feel like Bluetooth GPS app doesn't work on Kindle Fire HD (7.4.8 version) with 'Allow Mock GPS Location' feature enabled.

There is anything you can help? Thanks a lot in advance.

Bill

Last edited:

bbill66

Nov 11, 2017
Amazon Fire 7

Will this work on Amazon Fire 7 (2017)

In this tutorial we will explore adding GPS functionality to the Kindle Fire HD 7" or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9". This idea began about 1 year ago and has gone through several changes to adapt to the current Kindle platform. You DO NOT need a WiFi router or need to be connected to WiFi. This method uses WiFi to transmit GPS Data to the Kindle Fire.We attempt to keep this tutorial updated regularly - adding information from the end users experience. We have recently upgraded the storage servers to increase uptime, you now have two options for the downloads both are ad free. Option one is a Dropbox Storage Server and Option two is a Ubuntu One Storage Server, if one is under maintenance you may use the other download link. When you are done with the tutorial, please take the time to post feedback, this is very important to us - without your feedback, we have no way of knowing if we are doing our job. Finally, if you feel we did a decent job, please think about donating to us using the "Donate to Me" button - this is how we make a living, without your kind donations we would no longer be able to do this for a living.

Prerequisites:

1. You will need a Phone that has GPS with the Kindle Fire HD
2. Rooted Kindle HD

That method does work on the Kindle Fire HD 7" and HD 8.9" and is a method that was developed for the original Kindle Fire, it is quite simple, if you want to play a bit here it is:

Step 1: Download and Install SQL Lite Manager: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...qleditor&hl=en

Step 2: Download and Install Tether GPS (Preferred Method): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mptonsoft.tgps

Step 3: Enter the following commands through ADB:

Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
If you see a Serial Number, than proceed. If you do not see a number please review our ADB USB Driver Install located in our Root tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35957305

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

copy settings.db settings.bak

sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='mock_location';"

adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

adb reboot
Step 4: After the Kindle Fire restarts you should be ready to tether! Connect your Kindle Fire to your phone's WiFi, launch the TetherGPS server on your phone, and launch the TetherGPS client on your Kindle Fire. Install Google Maps and Earth http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2069859

Alternative Method: Purchase Root Explorer from the Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.rootexplorer

ALT Step 1: Use Root Explorer and SQL Lite Manager to open /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

Code:
change 'mock_location' from '0' to '1'
ALT Step 2: Restart your KF.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - Do I Need WiFi -

Dose it means that I have to connect my phone's wifi network before I use Kindle Fire HD7's GPS?

dustpop,

This is a great question dustpop. No, this idea does not need to be connected to WiFi to function as designed. Tether GPS reacts as a 'Router' so you connect your Kindle to Your phone through a WiFi single. Having said this, your phone becomes what is equal to, a WiFi Access Point without Internet. We also have a Bluetooth version we will be posting for people that prefer a Bluetooth connection over WiFi.

Having said this, since it is not dependent on a Internet connection, you are able to hike, ski, walk, etc with the Kindle and use it for navigation while out and about.
    Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Bluetooth gps wont install, how did you get it to install?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

kstephens98,

The company made a change to their software, let me see if we can obtain the older copy. In the mean time, follow the instructions for the WiFi version, this works flawlessly.
    Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - App Options

Bluetooth gps wont install, how did you get it to install?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

kstephens98,

OR
    OR

[HOW TO] Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Thanks, I was mostly going off my first gen kindle fires, which did lose the ability to play amazon video when rooted. I'll give it a shot at some point.

jasonfreeland,

No worries, you have every right to be concerned, the Kindle is a beautiful piece of hardware - this is why we have these tutorials, we respect the value of the device and want to offer solid ways to upgrade the Kindle without causing and type of damage.

If you have any upgrade in mind and we do not offer a tutorial, please let us know, we will post one per your request.

Thank you for taking the time to post comments.