Rom fatigue

Search This thread

cidica

Aug 9, 2008
Seattle, Wa
These responses are interesting. I guess "ROM fatigue" is going to catch up with me eventually lol. I'm still in the flashing everything stage, and I've been flashing for about 2 years.

Currently on Sacs 5.5 ultra

When you have been flashing since the HTC G1 days none stop on every phone you have owned it honestly does just start to get old and tiring after awhile. That is not to say that it is not still fun however it just gets to a point where you really do actually NEED your phone at 100% working order (even with fails in stock roms at times) that you just no longer care to tempt fate and hope thngs work when you actually need it to work the most.

chris-allen

Jun 22, 2012
im using the stockish 5 rom...thats about as custom as ill go..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

max229

Jan 6, 2014
The differences might be subtle but I honestly just like to tinker. I don't really like to bother with nightlies or unstable builds but I love writing and trying new programs and setting up the occasional ROM.

Sent via mobile

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
I keep downloading roms for my N5 every once in a while with the sincere intent of flashing them, and then I just....don't. The stock rom on the N5 is so awesome that I just can't bring myself to change it. I don't know why I keep getting the idea in my head to download these roms in the first place. I guess old habits die hard.

ParkerParker

Aug 10, 2013
ThE EvErGrEeN StAtE
I keep downloading roms for my N5 every once in a while with the sincere intent of flashing them, and then I just....don't. The stock rom on the N5 is so awesome that I just can't bring myself to change it. I don't know why I keep getting the idea in my head to download these roms in the first place. I guess old habits die hard.

Once a flasher... Always a flasher lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Reactions: maxpower7

mjs2011

May 25, 2011

Yeah. I'm actually in stock, locked and unrooted. I use my phone for work now and company policy states that I can't modify my phone.

Can't say I miss it too much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
Yeah. I'm actually in stock, locked and unrooted. I use my phone for work now and company policy states that I can't modify my phone.

Can't say I miss it too much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Funny...I still check out S4 forums every once in a while just out of curiosity. Looks like you might be doing the same :)

Even though I don't flash roms anymore, I think I'll always unlock and root my phones. I just don't like being arbitrarily restricted in terms of what apps I can use and what portions of the file system I can access. That kind of sucks that you wouldn't be able to do anything even if you wanted to.

jtsv

Jun 26, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Funny...I still check out S4 forums every once in a while just out of curiosity. Looks like you might be doing the same :)

Even though I don't flash roms anymore, I think I'll always unlock and root my phones. I just don't like being arbitrarily restricted in terms of what apps I can use and what portions of the file system I can access. That kind of sucks that you wouldn't be able to do anything even if you wanted to.

Is there room in the boat?
Other than for a few app's since installing the performance enhancements of 4.4.2 "I am a reformed flash junkie" Knox has been the beginning of my non rooting and now with this speed and kitkat it will make things a lot easier. I've been flip flopping between my wifi only rooted GS3 but now I can truly be Free! Whew That feel's good! At least now my family won't be saying "you've messed your phone up stop messing with it".

mjs2011

May 25, 2011

Yeah, luckily the catch here is that it's due to receiving a promotion and now my phone plan is completely paid for by my employer. So I'll take it even if it means I can no longer root.

jtsv

Jun 26, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
I actually did got my E4GT from a .01 Amazon BF Sale 2 yrs ago.

Bricked 3 and when the power button broke on 4th Sprint bumped me to S3 because on E4GT being back ordered.

Dropped it and cracked the screen just before BF this year so my wife and I upgraded to S4 on a .96 Sams Club Pre BF Sale this year.

So I've had my S3 rooted with Wifi only but now that this is 4.4.2 there's not much reason to root especially with Knox.

So been there and rode hard and put up broken and wet. Now just have the S3 as a throw down back up phone.

Bought Otterbox immediately for both of us because I've learned better to be safe than sorry.

Only things missing are 64gb sd, 7400aMh battery and a turbo 360 vibration speaker and everything would be complete since I'm dreaming right now I would add Bose BT.

Right now is not a good time for free spending so I'll just stick with things for now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
D

dr_funk_13

I only get ROM fatigue when it doesn't initially work. I hate having to tweak and flash a bunch of little things to get it working. I'd rather flash and then just be able to go from there without any hiccups.

Looking forward to crop of 4.4 roms that will surely be coming in a few weeks.

Spiricore

Jan 5, 2011
Bend, OR
xdaforums.com
I've skimmed over this thread title quite a number of times over the months thinking it had to do with ROM flashing actually having a fatigue-like effect on our hardware so I had to poke my nose in.

To continue from where the OP left off: I certainly hit that point with 2.3.5 on my EVO Shift and then again on my Galaxy S4. For me it was first a matter of trying to find the right 'fit' for me since running any unmodified technology is just letting unharnessed potential go to waste, but I do get to a point - and I remember it very specifically with my S4 - of just sitting there at the Android Development forum staring at all the ROM releases and just being like, "Meh." But every time I'd return to stock I'd just get this overwhelming "dirty" feeling and would get caught back up in the thought process of "Ugh, where to start to get rid of ALL of this **** I don't want, need, and already have preferred alternatives for?" Anything along the lines of customization for stock seems so limited, unsatisfactory, and really just unacceptable in my eyes.

I don't remember what ROM I settled on with my EVO Shift; I do know that I couldn't even find my old files when I had to wipe it to let a family member borrow it and just flashed the most recently updated one I could find. I've been running CarbonROM on my S4 for a few weeks after trying every major 4.3 ROM and just not finding a good fit for me, and I am very much enjoying it despite it still having issues; none of which are dealbreakers for me and I know will be addressed in the future. Flashing a daily every week or so doesn't seem outside the realm of reason with dirty flashing, OTA updates and utilities like ROM Toolbox to get me back up and running in 30 minutes or less, and finding new developments/tweaks I can implement are a constant source of (mostly) entertaining and beneficial endeavors. Having a modified ROM allows me to have very little of what I don't want and more of what I do - or at least provide a MUCH cleaner foundation to have my phone how I want it.

I have the same problem with the IT industry and computers shipped by Dell, HP, etc. The first thing I do is wipe them completely, customize my OS installer of choice, restore the software I've come to prefer and support over the years, and then never touch it ever again unless something fancy-shmancy comes along that piques my interest to instill enough motivation to give it a try. Stock is just so ugly, restricted, sub-par and half-assed for my liking to even consider "just dealing with it."

Then again my fiance of three years - she's had plenty of time to run away - regularly reminds me of being a control freak, so I'm sure that plays some role in it all as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtsv

zeroxia

Oct 28, 2011
The vendor knows its hardware best. Android is only middleware, your phone still needs a lot of closed-source stuff to function properly.
As long as there is official 4.4, it should be preferred. The same applies to Android 5.0, 6.0...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been flashing my cell phones since 2008 when I got my first smartphone. It was a Blackberry Curve and I would mix and match modules from different ROMs from various models to create unique sets of functionality but mostly to get the latest and greatest release. In 2010 I got my first Android phone and rooted it (and every phone since) the day I got it. I would start flashing 3 or 4 different ROMs in a 8 hour period every single day. I flash at work, I flash at home, I would go on a cruise and take my laptop and a copy of every available ROM for my phone and flash while on the ship (sick!). I go to visit my grand-kid and I'm flashing while playing with him.

I check XDA 40 to 50 times a day!

I think that I need help!:(

Anyway, on every other phone, except the SGS4, I found a custom ROM that was stable enough to be a daily driver. While there are many great custom ROMs out there for our phone, every one has a different, but fatal, flaw. I have flashed every available TW ROM for this phone and I have found that on every one, something that I need doesn't work properly and wind up Odin-ing back to stock.

Writing this has been like speaking at an AA meeting. I feel better and for today I will not flash (once I flash back to Stock from last nights flashathon!)

One Day at a Time!!
    I agree. The stock rom on the S4 is what I have been running since I got it. I was flashing roms back in '07 on WinMo and then it was to add functionality. I switched to android with the Hero and tried a few roms and finally made my own. Then I got the 3D. More tweaking more roms. This S4 was great right out of the box. So I rooted and flashed the stock rooted and other than updating have left it alone. It just works.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Agreed, my rooting days started with the HTC OG Evo, I stuck with MikMik and progressed from uncustomizable $300 iPhones to EVO 4g and eventually to S4 and I just like the stock TW feel. I know it's not for everyone, but I feel that stock android is almost too dull as much as I like it. I am sticking with Sacs because it has a few extras that I prefer over the stock, yet I feel as though the stock kernel just works best. Nothing against kernel devs I just think the stock handles radios best maybe it's just San Francisco, but I have a hard time with Sprint using different kernels??? :confused:

As for flashing I have slowed down. I was a flashaholic, but now I'm back to alcohol. I always enjoy reading through the forums to see what devs are cooking up next though. Will I stop... probably not, but nowadays I am more faithful to one rom rather than playing with 3 or 4 throughout any given day.
    I came from the OG Evo, and the only reason that I rooted and flashed ROMs to that was because official support for the device left me on 2.3. I wanted to keep getting updates and run the latest and greatest software possible, and flashing gave me that ability.

Now that I upgraded to the S4 and I've tried a few ROMs, I've come to the realization that stock is actually excellent and its being updated quite often. It shows that most OEMs have come a long way in the past few years. I also realized that doing any modifications can really mess up the phone (I got stock rooted for MF9 and it was stable for a few weeks then all of a sudden started getting messed up).

It's always cool to come back and see what projects are being worked on, and if I see something catch my eye I will certainly take it for a spin, but in the mean time I'm perfectly happy with what Samsung and Google have provided.

Just my 2 cents.
    Well I've been on stock Deodexed for getting close to a month, before that I flashed all the roms, my wife said I had a problem lol, but for the time being I'm quite happy with my phone being fully functional and having 4g every where I go. I'm still always looking at xda for the next big thing, but as of now I'm staying slightly modded with the convenience of a working PHONE :):beer:

That's kind of how I am. I still compulsively check XDA every day even though I never flash anything anymore. It's just really nice to have a phone where everything works. MMS is a good example of something that I don't necessarily use all the time but it's nice for it to be functional when I need it. I suppose I'll probably give KitKat a spin when the roms start rolling out though :)

How do i debloat a stock room?? I AM rooted with superuser... i have tried at least 5 root uninstallers and none work..they all ask for superuser permision..i grant it. But when i go to uninatall any system.bloat i get the " uninstall unsuccesful " message ::banghead:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Fire up Titanium Backup and just uninstall all the apps you don't want.