[TROUBLESHOOTING]/!\ Root | S-OFF | Flashing | RUU | Bootloop | Brick | Resources /!\

Search This thread

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London

Welcome to the HTC Desire (Bravo) Troubleshooting Guide
by bortak
DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for anyone bricking their phones. By using this tutorial and any of it's content you accept that you may be flashing system critical aspects of your mobile device, and things can go wrong. By using this guide you agree to put your phone at risk in the hope of fixing it, and you take full responsibility.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
1. No. Your phone is not bricked (Touch wood)
2. Make a goldcard. You need it. (Check goldcard section for help)
3. Set up ADB (android de-bug bridge), it's useful when things go wrong.
4. RUU's are DANGEROUS to your phones well-being. Only use them when you absolutely have to.
5. This will help you understand if your phone is "bricked"​
IF YOU ARE RESTORING FOR WARRANTY PURPOSES DO NOT USE THE WWE RUU (USE 2.3 GB RUU INSTEAD)
Find your issue here. Then find the corresponding number
NO BRAINER: IF IT'S NOT A DESIRE, USE GUIDE AT OWN RISK.
CONTENTS:

[1]: BOOT PROBLEMS
- stuck on HTC screen/ splash screen
- stuck in bootloop

[2]: ADVANCED BOOT PROBLEMS
- stuck on splash screen with no recovery with S-OFF
- stuck on splash screen with no recovery with S-ON

[3]: S-OFF'ING PROBLEMS
- Bootloader too old for revolutionary
--- upgrading the Bootloader
--- using different software to S-OFF
- installing correct drivers

[4]: RUU PROBLEMS
- stuck on black /!\ screen after RUU failure S-OFF
- stuck on black /!\ screen after RUU failure S-ON

[5]: SLCD BRICK
- black screen after RUU on SLCD phone

[6]: RUU PROBLEMS CONT'D/ GOLDCARDS
- RUU does not run due to CID error

[7]: RUU WITHOUT USB CONNECTION
- Extracting the rom.zip from a RUU (PB99IMG.zip)
- Restoring to stock/ using RUU without USB connection/ connection error

[8]: S-OFF AFTER RUU
- Alpharev write protection explained
- how to S-ON

[9]: DEEP SLEEP
- Rough deep sleep issue cause explained
- "Fix" for deep sleep issue (not waking up after putting phone to "sleep")

[10]: FLASHING CUSTOM RECOVERY
- how to flash a custom recovery using different methods
- Different recoveries available
- PVT4 devices/ ERASESIZE 40000

[11]: ROOT WITHOUT USB CONNECTION/ USB BRICK
- How to root without connecting to USB

[12]: FLASHING SPLASH SCREEN
- How to make a viable splash screen
- Different methods of flashing a splash screen
- Stock HTC splash screen download

[13]: RECOVERY CAN'T MOUNT SD-CARD
- How to remount the SD-Card with fastboot commands
- Troubleshooting fastboot

[14]FLASHING HBOOT/SPL
- How to flash custom HBOOT/SPL

[15]EASIEST ROOT METHOD
- Easiest way to root your phone for Hboot's 1.02 and below

#: RESOURCES
- Useful links/ tools/ resources/ downloads
- Software to help with android e.g. Flashing tools etc.
- RUU'S
- Recoveries
- Radios
- External tutorials
- Drivers

Attachments

• Md5Check.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 6,946
Last edited:

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
You may find that much of this thread repeats, so it requires you to be patient and pay close attention!

BOOT PROBLEMS
"I just flashed a new ROM, and I get a bootloop.. Help!"*
"I just flashed a new ROM, and it just stays on the HTC screen"
"My phone randomly rebooted itself and now it won't boot"
*This is a fairly common problem, and is solved very easily.

Possible causes of bootloops/ phone stuck on HTC Screen:
- You are S-OFF, and you have not got the correct partition table that is required for the ROM.
- Some ROM's require an SD-EXT partition, you either have not got this or have not done it correctly.
- For whatever reason, the ROM did not install properly.

To fix a bootloop/ stuck on HTC Screen:
[STEP1]- do a battery pull to power off the device (as this is the only way to do so when stuck in a bootloop)
[STEP2]- hold the VOLUME DOWN button and the POWER button to boot into the bootloader
[STEP3]- use the VOLUME UP/DOWN buttons to navigate, and POWER to select. Navigate to RECOVERY.
[STEP4]- select "mounts & storage" and then select the following options
[STEP5]- format boot
[STEP6]- format system
[STEP7]- format data
[STEP8]- format cache
[STEP9]- format sd-ext (IF YOU HAVE IT)
[IF YOU HAVE A BACKUP]
[STEP10a]- go back to the main menu, select "back up & restore", select "restore" and restore the latest working backup.
[IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BACKUP]
[STEP10b]- go back to the main menu, select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard", and flash a ROM which you KNOW works.
If you have none, try my failsafe: CyanogenMod
- reboot system now

#PHONE STILL DOESN'T BOOT#
[IF YOU USED YOUR BACKUP, OR A ROM THAT IS NOT CYANOGENMOD]
- Repeat the process, and flash cyanogenmod instead of restoring a backup or a different ROM.
[IF YOU ARE USING A RECOVERY THAT IS NOT CLOCKWORKMOD 2.5.0.7]
- Download Clockworkmod 2.5.0.7.zip and place it in your sdcard.
- boot into recovery, select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard" and choose "recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.7-bravo.zip"
- repeat [1] from [STEP4] onwards

ADVANCED BOOT PROBLEMS
S-OFF
"I'm S-OFF, I can't boot recovery and my phone doesn't boot"
For one reason or another, your recovery image is corrupted and when you try to boot into recovery, all you get is the HTC screen
and your phone doesn't boot. It is relatively simple to fix, and there is more than one way to go about doing this. All you need to do,
is to flash a new recovery image.

Possible causes
- I have no idea, however if somebody has an explanation then feel free to PM me.

Repairing recovery, booting phone:
NOTE: If you have a PVT4 Device, go to "Flashing custom recovery". If you are unsure, check just to be safe.
#METHOD 1#
Method One uses Android Flasher to flash the recovery image.
[STEP1]- Battery pull. Hold the BACK button and the POWER button to boot into FASTBOOT mode.
[STEP2]- Download Android Flasher
[STEP3]- Download the recovery image. Put it in a place you can remember.
[STEP4]- Run android flasher, tick "Recovery", and press "Begin"
[STEP5]- Browse to where you downloaded the recovery image, select it, and press "open"
[STEP6]- repeat [1] from [STEP4] onwards
#METHOD 2#
Method two uses cmd and requires Android SDK to be set up.
[STEP1]- Battery pull. Hold the BACK button and the POWER button to boot into FASTBOOT mode.
[STEP2]- Download the recovery image. Rename it to "recovery.img" for simplicity, and place it in the following directory:
Code:
C:\
[STEP3]- then in cmd type the following commands
Code:
cd c:\android-sdk\tools
fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img
fastboot oem gencheckpt [COLOR="Silver"](this command boots you into recovery, ignore the feedback from cmd)[/COLOR]
[STEP4]- repeat [1] from [STEP4] onwards

S-ON
"I'm S-ON, I can't boot recovery, and my phone doesn't boot :eek:"
This is a bit of a worse situation, as you cannot flash system critical parts such as the recovery image and just restore a backup.
This unfortunately means that you will lose all of your data when you attempt to fix the phone.
[STEP1]- Make sure that you have a goldcard. If not, create one from the tutorial.
[STEP2]- Battery pull. Hold the BACK button and the POWER button to boot into FASTBOOT mode.
[STEP3]- Download the latest WWE RUU from here
[STEP4]- Run the RUU and wait for completion WARNING: DO NOT, BY ANY CIRCUMSTANCES INTERRUPT THE PROCESS -
THIS WILL MORE THAN LIKELY END UP WITH A BRICKED PHONE - NOT EVEN IF GOD HIMSELF TELLS YOU TO DO SO, OR IF THE US PRESIDENT THREATENS YOU WITH
THERMO-NUCLEAR WAR

[STEP5]- Once the phone is booted, you are now returned completely to stock. You will need to re-root again, and I'd recommend S-OFF

S-OFF'ing PROBLEMS
"I tried to S-OFF using revolutionary, but it didn't work"

Possible causes:
- Your Bootloader version is too old. Revolutionary works with 0.93.0001 and 1.02.0001
- You didn't install the relevant drivers
- HTC Sync is interfering with the process
- You have a custom ROM installed -ONLY USE THE STOCK HTC ROM

[STEP1]- Check bootloader version. Power-off, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER.

YOUR BOOTLOADER VERSION IS NOT 0.93.0001 or 1.02.0001
[OPTION1]- Use Alpharev instead
[OPTION2]- Use a RUU to upgrade to the 2.2 Froyo RUU which gets you to 0.93.001 bootloader version - Follow from S-ON [STEP1]

The latest is gingerbread 2.3.3 however I DO NOT recommend using it.

YOU DID NOT INSTALL THE RELEVANT DRIVERS/ HTC SYNC IS INTERFERING
[STEP1]- Disable or un-install HTC Sync
[STEP2]- Try Again

#DIDN'T WORK?#
[STEP1]- Download and install these drivers
[STEP2]- Follow this guide
[STEP3]- Try again

#DIDN'T WORK?#
[STEP1]- give up on this guide, do some research, start a thread in Q&A if needs be. As a last resort try the IRC client for live support..

RUU PROBLEMS
"I tried using a RUU, but it failed, and now my phone is stuck on a black HTC Screen with /!\ In every corner!"

Possible Causes:
- You were S-OFF and you flashed a custom bootloader from alpharev
- You didn't check the MD5 Sums before proceeding, and the download may have been corrupted.
- You tried using the wrong RUU

Fixing your problem
Your phone is stuck in RUU mode. RUU mode is like fastboot mode, and can still receive fastboot commands, therefore it can be easily "fixed".
It helps to have a goldcard for this problem, so that you can use any RUU you want.

S-OFF
[STEP1]- download "Bravo Stock" from Alpharev
[STEP2]- download Android Flasher
[STEP3]- use android flasher to flash "Bravo Stock"
[STEP4]- run the RUU again and wait for it to finish

S-ON
If you're S-ON it eliminates the possibility of you having a custom bootloader, and the only possibility now is that the RUU was corrupted or you
used the wrong RUU for your device. Therefore, for this process you need a goldcard.
[STEP1]- Create the goldcard from the tutorial
[STEP1]- Use the WWE RUU

NOTE: If you are restoring for warranty purposes, unless you bought an unbranded phone, using
the WWE RUU will VOID YOUR WARRANTY, and you should use the 2.3.3 RUU (link available from #resources)

SLCD BRICK (BLACK SCREEN AFTER RUU)
"I restored my phone using a RUU, the process finished and my device is detected by my PC, but my screen is black and does not turn on"

Cause:
- The RUU you flashed is incompatible with your SLCD Device, and was made for the AMOLED Desire

Solution:
[STEP0]- My guess is that because you got yourself to this STEP already, the RUU you used was not for your phone so you already have a goldcard.
[STEP1]- Download the WWE RUU
[STEP2]- Boot into fastboot mode (battery pull since you can't see, hold BACK and POWER. Wait about 10 seconds to be sure)
[STEP3]- Plug phone in via USB and run the RUU

RUU PROBLEMS CONT'D/ GOLDCARDS
"My phone isn't functioning properly, and I need to use a RUU,however when I try I get a CID error"

Possible causes:
- You are just using the wrong RUU for your phone. If you have a branded device e.g. on Vodafone, you need to download the latest Vodafone RUU.
- For an unexpected reason, your phone is giving you a CID error, even with an unbranded device [note: the "fix" to this is the logical steps one would take in order
to try and solve the problem, however it has not yet been tested and it is not 100% guaranteed to work for you]

Solution:
The obvious solution to this problem is the goldcard. A goldcard makes the device ignore the CID and effectively enables you to run any RUU without any hiccups.

[STEP1]- Follow this tutorial to create a goldcard
[STEP2]- Insert the goldcard into the device, and re-try the RUU process

Phone doesn't boot so can't get CID like in tutorial
- use this and copy the CID without spaces or commas. Follow the tutorial from further stage.

#DIDN'T WORK?#
- it IS possible you made a mistake in the goldcard process. Follow the tutorial carefully, and try again

#DIDN'T WORK?#
- not all sd-cards will work as goldcards, if you have a spare sd-card lying around try that, or read around some forums for what sd-card definitely works in the process.
The sd-card I use for my goldcard is a Sandisk 8GB Mobile Ultra Class 6 (NOTE: This does not mean I am telling you to buy it, I'm just simply stating that it works.)

#DIDN'T WORK?#
- for now, that's all I can think of. Anyone who has any more ideas feel free to PM me.

RUU WITHOUT USB CONNECTION
"My USB port is broken and I need to use a RUU to return my phone to stock. How do I do it?"
"I need to use a RUU because my phone is "broken" but I have no access to a PC"

RUU without USB:
IF YOU'RE S-ON, START FROM [PHASE2]. S-OFF CONTINUE FROM [PHASE1]
[PHASE1]- Because you're S-OFF, the custom SPL (hboot) has write protection, a RUU will not overwrite it and only restore the system, data etc.
[P1/STEP2]- Download the Alpharev Downgrader PB99IMG (MD5: 6c482ccfa6b7093de4ee1a5804ccbdfc - check MD5 matches with MD5 checker, link below)
[P1/STEP3]- Rename it from "PB99IMG_downgrade" to just "PB99IMG.zip" (careful with file xtensions on windows 7)
[P1/STEP4]- put the file in the ROOT of your sd-card (not in any file or folder) and boot into bootloader (poweroff, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER).
After a few seconds, you will be prompted to update bootloader. Select Yes. DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS, OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE. Wait for it to finish,
reboot and then continue.
[PHASE2]- we need to extract rom.zip from the RUU. If your phone is branded Orange, you will need a goldcard because Orange didn't release any RUU's.. The bastards
[P2/STEP1]- Run the RUU (BUT DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE OR CONTINUE), move it to the side as it cannot be minimised.
[P2/STEP2]- go to start menu, and use the "run" feature. Type in %temp%
[P2/STEP3]- select "date modified" to "today" (to make it easier to find). There are should now be 2 folders with long names of random characters.
[P2/STEP4]- search the folders for rom.zip and extract it to the desktop.
[P2/STEP5]- Rename the rom.zip to PB99IMG.zip (if on windows 7 and you have hidden file extensions, only make the name PB99IMG,
otherwise it will be PB99IMG.zip.zip - because windows is retarded sometimes)
[PHASE3]- now we need to actually use the RUU
[P3/STEP1]- put the file in the ROOT of your sd-card (not in any file or folder) and boot into bootloader (poweroff, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER).
After a few seconds, you will be prompted to update bootloader. Select Yes. DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS, OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE.
[P3/STEP2]- Once the process is finished, you will now be S-ON and unrooted with the stock system.

STILL S-OFF AFTER RUU
"I want to return my phone for warranty, I used a RUU but I'm still S-OFF"

Cause:
- Alpharev's Hboots are write protected, so that they can not be overwritten by a RUU

HOW TO S-ON
METHOD 1#
[STEP1]- Visit Alpharev and download the "Downgrader"
[STEP2]- Flash the downgrader over fastboot. This can be done with Android Flasher, cmd, or fastboot commander (Note: android flasher is the
only program that does not require third party software such as Android SDK or Java JDK)
[STEP3]- You should now notice the title on the bootloader screen is "Alpharev Unlock", run the RUU again and you will have S-ON'd your device.

#METHOD 2#
[STEP1]- Instead of running the RUU again, and putting your phone at risk once more, you can simply upgrade just the bootloader manually,
with the PB99IMG.zip method.
[PHASE1]- we need to extract rom.zip from the RUU.
[P1/STEP1]- Run the RUU (BUT DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE OR CONTINUE), move it to the side as it cannot be minimised.
[P1/STEP2]- go to start menu, and use the "run" feature. Type in %temp%
[P1/STEP3]- select "date modified" to "today" (to make it easier to find). There are should now be 2 folders with long names of random characters.
[P1/STEP4]- search the folders for rom.zip and extract it to the desktop.
[P1/STEP5]- delete everything EXCEPT "hboot_8x50_0.93.0001_20100810.nb0" and "android-info.txt"
[P1/STEP6]- rename the zip to PB99IMG.zip (make sure it is not PB99IMG.zip.zip)
[PHASE2]- now we need to update the bootloader
[P2/STEP1]- put the file in the ROOT of your sd-card (not in any file or folder) and boot into bootloader (poweroff, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER).
After a few seconds, you will be prompted to update bootloader. Select Yes. DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS, OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE.
[P2/STEP2]- Once the process is finished, you will now be S-ON.

DESIRE DEEP SLEEP ISSUE
"I put my Desire on standby, and now the screen won't turn back on!"

Causes:
- Your phones network not being able to connect to a certain network type (Hard to explain)

Fixing Deep Sleep
[STEP1]- Enter dialpad
[STEP2]- type *#*#4636#*#*
[STEP3]- Go to "phone information
[STEP4]- Change "preferred network type" to GSM only, or CDMA only

Side effects
- your phone will only be able to connect to either HSDPA, 3G or 2G (depending on what you pick), therefore if a certain area is not covered by that network.. you will not have data

FLASHING CUSTOM RECOVERY
"I'm using clockworkmod, but I want a different recovery"
"My recovery is damaged and won't let me flash"

As said above, you either want to flash a different recovery to test out it's different features, or perhaps you read that one is better than the next,
so you want a different one. Or your recovery is damaged, and you need to re-flash a different recovery image.

FLASHING RECOVERY
In order to flash recovery, you need to be S-OFF

[STEP1]- S-OFF using revolutionary - if you have any problems go to S-OFF'ing problems, [STEP1]
[STEP2]- Download the recovery image that you have chosen. If you have not chosen one, then I recommend Amon Ra's Recovery
#METHOD 1#
[STEP1]- Poweroff. Hold the BACK button and the POWER button to boot into FASTBOOT mode.
[STEP3]- Download the recovery image of your choice. Put it in a place you can remember.
[STEP5]- Browse to where you downloaded the recovery image, select it, and press "open"
[STEP6]- Wait for the process to complete.
#METHOD 2#
[STEP1]- Poweroff. Hold the BACK button and the POWER button to boot into FASTBOOT mode.
[STEP2]- Download the recovery image of your choice. Rename it to "recovery.img" for simplicity, and place it in the following directory:
Code:
Code:
fastboot oem gencheckpt [COLOR="Silver"](this command boots you into recovery, ignore the feedback from cmd)[/COLOR]

*Recovery CAN be flashed using unrevoked, however I haven't personally done this and I'd just recommend S-OFF

PVT4 DEVICES
If you're device is PVT4/ erasezie 40 000 deivce (You can check in bootloader, first line will say Bravo PVT1/2/3/4 SHIP S-OFF/ON)
or by entering the following command in terminal emulator (available in android market):
Code:
su
cat /proc/mtd

You CANNOT use clockworkmod 2.X.X.X because it is incompatible, I recommend using Amon Ra's Recovery as I know it works.

ROOT WITHOUT USB CONNECTION
#NOTES: MUST BE BOOTED INTO ROM, ONLY TESTED ON FROYO AND S-OFF - MAY WORK WITH OTHER SOFTWARE #
"I can't connect via usb, but I want to root"

Possible Reasons:
- You are unrooted and you have a usb brick
- you do not have access to a PC/ Mac
- some other strange reason :p

How to root without USB connection
This process uses temproot and ROM manager to flash recovery. You will only be fully rooted once you flash a rooted ROM.
[STEP1]- Download visionary. Put in on your sd-card
[STEP2]- If you have not got one already, download a file manager (Astro file manager works fine)
[STEP3]- Using the file manager, find Visionary and install it.
[STEP4]- Run visionary, and select TEMPROOT NOW - wait about 30 seconds
[STEP5]- Go to market, and download superuser, then update the binary if needed
[STEP6]- Download ROM Manager, run it, and select "flash recovery"
[STEP7]- Download a custom ROM if you have not done so already, and flash it via recovery.

[12]FLASHING SPLASH SCREEN
"I have a branded Desire and want to get rid of the UGLY splash screen"
"I want to use a custom splash image instead of the HTC logo"

How to flash custom splash
#METHOD1#
Method one uses Android Flasher
[STEP1]- If you haven't got it already, download Android Flasher
[STEP2]- Get a 480x800 .bmp image as your desired splash screen
[STEP3]- boot into fastboot (poweroff, hold BACK and POWER) and run Android Flasher
[STEP4]- choose splash, choose the .bmp image and flash the flash the splash

#METHOD2#
Method two uses cmd, and for this you need a .img (also covered in the tut). It also needs Android SDK set up
[STEP1]- Download nbimg.exe and unzip it into C:\
[STEP2]- Get a 480x800 .bmp image as your desired splash screen, rename it to splash1.bmp and put it in C:\
[STEP3]- open cmd and type:
Code:
cd\
nbimg -F splash1.bmp
[STEP4]- you will now have a file called splash1.bmp.nb - rename it to splash1.img
[STEP5]- boot into fastboot (poweroff, hold BACK & POWER)
[STEP6]- in cmd type the following:
Code:
fastboot flash splash1 c:\splash1.img
fastboot reboot

Stock Splash screen
- Stock splash screen can be downloaded here. Procedure for changing remains the same.

Attachments

• fastboot.zip
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • Md5Check.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 802
Last edited:

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London

RECOVERY CAN'T MOUNT SD-CARD
I flashed a new recovery, and now my phone doesn't recognise my sd-card. I get the following error:
Code:
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /sdcard

HOW TO MOUNT SD-CARD
[STEP1]- Firstly, you will need Android-SDK (If you don't already have it)
[STEP2]- Boot into fastboot mode (Poweroff, hold BACK & POWER)
[STEP3]- Open command prompt (cmd) and type the following command
Code:
cd\ C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
fastboot oem eraseconfig

ERROR: AdbWinApi.dll IS MISSING
[STEP1]- Go to: C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
[STEP2]- Copy "fastboot.exe
[STEP3]- Go to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
[STEP4]- Paste fastboot.exe here
[STEP5]- type the following NOTE: THE DIRECTORY IS DIFFERENT HERE TO BEFORE
Code:
cd\ C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
fastboot oem eraseconfig

ERROR: 'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

CAUSE:
When you downloaded the Android-SDK installer, it installed the the SDK in a different directory, try using:
Windows 32Bit
Code:
cd\ C:\program files\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
fastboot oem eraseconfig
Windows 64Bit
Code:
cd C:\program files (x86)\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
fastboot oem eraseconfig

STILL DOESN'T WORK
Try:
- Different recovery
- Different SD-Card
Possible Reasons
- Your recovery is damaged
- Your SD-Card is dead
- you forgot to insert your sd-card and you're doing all this needlessly?

FLASHING HBOOT/SPL
in order to flash a hboot/spl, you need to be s-off

[STEP1]- s-off using revolutionary - if you have any problems go to s-off'ing problems, [STEP1]
[STEP2]- download the hboot image that you have chosen.
#METHOD 1#
method one uses android flasher to flash the hboot/spl image.
[STEP1]- poweroff. Hold the back button and the power button to boot into fastboot mode.
[STEP2]- download android flasher
[STEP3]- download the hboot image that suits your rom. Put it in a place you can remember.
[STEP3.5]- Check the MD5 with tool provided to minimise chances of bricking your phone.
[STEP4]- run android flasher, tick "hboot", and press "begin"
[STEP5]- browse to where you downloaded the hboot image, select it, and press "open"
[STEP6]- wait for the process to complete.
#METHOD 2#
method two uses cmd and requires android sdk to be set up.
[STEP1]- poweroff. Hold the back button and the power button to boot into fastboot mode.
[STEP2]- download the recovery image of your choice. Rename it to "hboot.img" for simplicity, and place it in the following directory:
Code:
c:\
[STEP3.5]- Check the MD5 with tool provided to minimise chances of bricking your phone.
Code:
fastboot flash hboot c:\hboot.img
fastboot clear cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Easiest Root Method
- The easiest root method for the HTC Desire

[STEP1]- Check Hboot version. Poweroff, and hold Volume Down & Power (it's the number after "HBOOT". Examples are 0.75xxxxx, 0.83xxxxx, 0.93xxxxx, 1.02xxxxx)
REVOLUTIONARY
[REVOLUTIONARY]- If your HBOOT version is 0.93 or above (NOTE: Version 1.03 is NOT supported) then continue, if it is below then use the Alpharev method.
[REVOLUTIONARY][STEP1]- Go to revolutionary.io and go to the "Downloads" section, Pick your operating system, choose device as HTC Desire, and choose your HBOOT version (you should already know this from STEP1). Then enter your serial number, it can be found in "about phone" or behind the battery.
[REVOLUTIONARY][STEP2]- Read the documentation page and download these fastboot drivers.
[REVOLUTIONARY][STEP3]- Make sure HTC Sync is disabled, if you have it installed on your PC. Plug your phone in via USB and make sure USB debugging is turned ON (settings> applications)
[REVOLUTIONARY][STEP4]- Extract all of the tools from the revolutionary.zip file and run revolutionary.exe. A CMD window should pop up and show you the progress (See [3] for how it should look like).
[REVOLUTIONARY][STEP5]- When the process is almost finished, it will prompt you to flash a custom recovery, type YES or Y. Follow tutorial number [10] if you would like to flash a different recovery - This is optional and not required if you decide to flash recovery during the revolutionary process.
[REVOLUTIONARY][STEP6]- Download superuser.zip (mirror), put it anywhere on your sd-card (preferably in a path you can remember). Boot into recovery by holding Volume Down & Power (You will see lines of green text flash, this is normal), then using the volume keys to navigate to RECOVERY, and use POWER to select. The phone will now boot into recovery.
[REVOLUTIONARY][STEP7]- Once you are in recovery, use the trackball (if it's broken then use volume keys) to navigate to "install zip from sd-card > choose zip from sd-card > #directory where you put superuser.zip# > superuser.zip > yes"
[REVOLUTIONARY][STEP8]- After the process is finished, reboot, and your phone will now be rooted.
ALPHAREV
[ALPHAREV]- If your HBOOT is 0.93 or below (For version 0.93, you can use revolutionary or alpharev. revolutionary is significantly easier/ quicker), then use this method.
[ALPHAREV][STEP1]- Go to Alpharev.nl and read the page carefully. Download the reflash utility and burn it to a CD.
[ALPHAREV][STEP2]- Reboot your PC, change the boot order for CD/DVD and boot the alpharev disk. Make sure USB debugging is turned ON (settings>applications) and plug it in via USB. Then follow the onscreen instructions.
ALPHAREV][STEP3]- When the process is almost finished, it will prompt you to flash a custom recovery, type YES or Y. Follow tutorial number [10] if you would like to flash a different recovery - This is optional and not required if you decide to flash recovery during the revolutionary process.
[ALPHAREV][STEP4]- Download superuser.zip (mirror), put it anywhere on your sd-card (preferably in a path you can remember). Boot into recovery by holding Volume Down & Power (You will see lines of green text flash, this is normal), then using the volume keys to navigate to RECOVERY, and use POWER to select. The phone will now boot into recovery.
[ALPHAREV][STEP5]- Once you are in recovery, use the trackball (if it's broken then use volume keys) to navigate to "install zip from sd-card > choose zip from sd-card > #directory where you put superuser.zip# > superuser.zip > yes"
[ALPHAREV][STEP6]- After the process is finished, reboot, and your phone will now be rooted.

These are some useful links to and resources you may find... useful.

Tutorials:
- ADB & Fastboot by MatDroid (A+)
- ADB by Droidzone (A+)
- Goldcard tutorial
- ADB and Fastboot for windows by rootSU (A++)
- ADB Help 1, 2
- Creating your own Bootanimation by MatDroid
- 1.03 Hboot downgrade

Tools:
- Android Commander
- Android Flasher
- fastboot commander (Awesome <3)
- Android SDK (adb & fastboot)
- Alpharev 1.8 (S-OFF & SPL's) / Revolutionary (S-OFF & Drivers)
- RevSkills Goldcard generator
- Hboot drivers (need for Unrevoked)
- Java JDK (need for android-sdk, fastboot commander etc.)
- RUU's (Factory ROM's to return phone back to stock i.e. unroot, S-ON*) / WWE RUU in case shipped-roms is dead / Android 2.3.3 RUU
- Visionary - Froyo temproot

Recoveries:
- Ra Desire
- Clockworkmod 2.5.0.7
- Clockworkmod 5.0.2.0
- RMD Recovery (USB Brick Fix)
- 4EXT Recovery/ 4EXT Touch > Recommended, better to use 4EXT Recovery Control from Play Store.

Radios/ RILs: WARNING: EXPERIENCED USERS ONLY
- Radios
- RILs

ANY MORE HELPFUL TOOLS/ LINKS GIVE ME A SHOUT!

These are probably not up to date:​

Attachments

• Post1.txt
    4 KB · Views: 185
  • post2.txt
    25.5 KB · Views: 71
  • post3.txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

lafonjef

Dec 4, 2010
Manitowoc
So, I am a bit of a noob, but does this work with gsm and cdma phones? My CDMA desire won't boot into recovery and so I can't flash a new rom. I downloaded a fresh recovery onto my computer, and was hoping this would let me flash it onto my phone so that i can change to a different rom.

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
So, I am a bit of a noob, but does this work with gsm and cdma phones? My CDMA desire won't boot into recovery and so I can't flash a new rom. I downloaded a fresh recovery onto my computer, and was hoping this would let me flash it onto my phone so that i can change to a different rom.

Good question, personally I have never dealt with CDMA Desires so I wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice.. You can try this guide and see if it works for you.. because I have no idea, sorry. Just remember - if the method in the guide breaks your phone in any way, shape or form - I am NOT taking any responsibility.

Reactions: Metnem

PreScoper

Sep 19, 2011
Hi. I recently used the camera app to take some pictures. After that, I locked my phone. When I tried to unlock it, the screen remains black. I decided remove and put back the battery. After I did that, the phone still does not turn on. I connected the phone to the charger, the LED does not light up. Is my phone bricked? I did not flash/install anything, I was just using the camera app. I hope anyone could reply as soon as possible. Thanks.

S-off: Yes (Using revolutionary)
Recovery: Clockworkmod v5.0.2.0
Rooted using: unrevoked
Radio: unsure (its the latest)

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
Hi. I recently used the camera app to take some pictures. After that, I locked my phone. When I tried to unlock it, the screen remains black. I decided remove and put back the battery. After I did that, the phone still does not turn on. I connected the phone to the charger, the LED does not light up. Is my phone bricked? I did not flash/install anything, I was just using the camera app. I hope anyone could reply as soon as possible. Thanks.

well, the fact that your phone doesn't turn on and the LED does not light up on charge suggests to me that your phone is dead. Happened to mine too (exact same symptoms, don't know what cause). It will be covered by HTC, just give them a call.

Last edited:
Reactions: PreScoper

PreScoper

Sep 19, 2011
well, the fact that your phone doesn't turn on and the LED does not light up on charge suggests to me that your phone is dead. Happened to mine too (exact same symptoms, don't know what cause). It will be covered by HTC, just give them a call.

I haved s-offed my phone and I know that going s-off will void the warranty. Is there a way to go s-on again while the phone is dead?

krufeee

Jun 13, 2011
If anyone can help, I'm a little inexperienced with android OS
I'd like to use the usb menu of sense 3, but more like miui. If you know a program that allows me to share the internet from phone to computer and vice versa would be a good alternative. Thanks in advance

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
If anyone can help, I'm a little inexperienced with android OS
I'd like to use the usb menu of sense 3, but more like miui. If you know a program that allows me to share the internet from phone to computer and vice versa would be a good alternative. Thanks in advance

if you're using MIUI go to options and go to "USB tethering"

Reactions: krufeee

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Welcome to the HTC Desire (Bravo) Troubleshooting Guide
    by bortak
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for anyone bricking their phones. By using this tutorial and any of it's content you accept that you may be flashing system critical aspects of your mobile device, and things can go wrong. By using this guide you agree to put your phone at risk in the hope of fixing it, and you take full responsibility.
    BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
    1. No. Your phone is not bricked (Touch wood)
    2. Make a goldcard. You need it. (Check goldcard section for help)
    3. Set up ADB (android de-bug bridge), it's useful when things go wrong.
    4. RUU's are DANGEROUS to your phones well-being. Only use them when you absolutely have to.
    5. This will help you understand if your phone is "bricked"​
    IF YOU ARE RESTORING FOR WARRANTY PURPOSES DO NOT USE THE WWE RUU (USE 2.3 GB RUU INSTEAD)
    Find your issue here. Then find the corresponding number
    NO BRAINER: IF IT'S NOT A DESIRE, USE GUIDE AT OWN RISK.
    CONTENTS:

[1]: BOOT PROBLEMS
    - stuck on HTC screen/ splash screen
    - stuck in bootloop

[2]: ADVANCED BOOT PROBLEMS
    - stuck on splash screen with no recovery with S-OFF
    - stuck on splash screen with no recovery with S-ON

[3]: S-OFF'ING PROBLEMS
    - Bootloader too old for revolutionary
    --- upgrading the Bootloader
    --- using different software to S-OFF
    - installing correct drivers

[4]: RUU PROBLEMS
    - stuck on black /!\ screen after RUU failure S-OFF
    - stuck on black /!\ screen after RUU failure S-ON

[5]: SLCD BRICK
    - black screen after RUU on SLCD phone

[6]: RUU PROBLEMS CONT'D/ GOLDCARDS
    - RUU does not run due to CID error

[7]: RUU WITHOUT USB CONNECTION
    - Extracting the rom.zip from a RUU (PB99IMG.zip)
    - Restoring to stock/ using RUU without USB connection/ connection error

[8]: S-OFF AFTER RUU
    - Alpharev write protection explained
    - how to S-ON

[9]: DEEP SLEEP
    - Rough deep sleep issue cause explained
    - "Fix" for deep sleep issue (not waking up after putting phone to "sleep")

[10]: FLASHING CUSTOM RECOVERY
    - how to flash a custom recovery using different methods
    - Different recoveries available
    - PVT4 devices/ ERASESIZE 40000

[11]: ROOT WITHOUT USB CONNECTION/ USB BRICK
    - How to root without connecting to USB

[12]: FLASHING SPLASH SCREEN
    - How to make a viable splash screen
    - Different methods of flashing a splash screen
    - Stock HTC splash screen download

[13]: RECOVERY CAN'T MOUNT SD-CARD
    - How to remount the SD-Card with fastboot commands
    - Troubleshooting fastboot

[14]FLASHING HBOOT/SPL
    - How to flash custom HBOOT/SPL

[15]EASIEST ROOT METHOD
    - Easiest way to root your phone for Hboot's 1.02 and below

#: RESOURCES
    - Useful links/ tools/ resources/ downloads
    - Software to help with android e.g. Flashing tools etc.
    - RUU'S
    - Recoveries
    - Radios
    - External tutorials
    - Drivers
    You may find that much of this thread repeats, so it requires you to be patient and pay close attention!

BOOT PROBLEMS
    "I just flashed a new ROM, and I get a bootloop.. Help!"*
    "I just flashed a new ROM, and it just stays on the HTC screen"
    "My phone randomly rebooted itself and now it won't boot"
    *This is a fairly common problem, and is solved very easily.

Possible causes of bootloops/ phone stuck on HTC Screen:
    - You are S-OFF, and you have not got the correct partition table that is required for the ROM.
    - Some ROM's require an SD-EXT partition, you either have not got this or have not done it correctly.
    - For whatever reason, the ROM did not install properly.

To fix a bootloop/ stuck on HTC Screen:
    [STEP1]- do a battery pull to power off the device (as this is the only way to do so when stuck in a bootloop)
    [STEP2]- hold the VOLUME DOWN button and the POWER button to boot into the bootloader
    [STEP3]- use the VOLUME UP/DOWN buttons to navigate, and POWER to select. Navigate to RECOVERY.
    [STEP4]- select "mounts & storage" and then select the following options
    [STEP5]- format boot
    [STEP6]- format system
    [STEP7]- format data
    [STEP8]- format cache
    [STEP9]- format sd-ext (IF YOU HAVE IT)
    [IF YOU HAVE A BACKUP]
    [STEP10a]- go back to the main menu, select "back up & restore", select "restore" and restore the latest working backup.
    [IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BACKUP]
    [STEP10b]- go back to the main menu, select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard", and flash a ROM which you KNOW works.
    If you have none, try my failsafe: CyanogenMod
    - reboot system now

#PHONE STILL DOESN'T BOOT#
    [IF YOU USED YOUR BACKUP, OR A ROM THAT IS NOT CYANOGENMOD]
    - Repeat the process, and flash cyanogenmod instead of restoring a backup or a different ROM.
    [IF YOU ARE USING A RECOVERY THAT IS NOT CLOCKWORKMOD 2.5.0.7]
    - Download Clockworkmod 2.5.0.7.zip and place it in your sdcard.
    - boot into recovery, select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard" and choose "recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.7-bravo.zip"
    - repeat [1] from [STEP4] onwards

ADVANCED BOOT PROBLEMS
    S-OFF
    "I'm S-OFF, I can't boot recovery and my phone doesn't boot"
    For one reason or another, your recovery image is corrupted and when you try to boot into recovery, all you get is the HTC screen
    and your phone doesn't boot. It is relatively simple to fix, and there is more than one way to go about doing this. All you need to do,
    is to flash a new recovery image.

Possible causes
    - I have no idea, however if somebody has an explanation then feel free to PM me.

Repairing recovery, booting phone:
    NOTE: If you have a PVT4 Device, go to "Flashing custom recovery". If you are unsure, check just to be safe.
    #METHOD 1#
    [STEP3]- Download the recovery image. Put it in a place you can remember.
    [STEP6]- repeat [1] from [STEP4] onwards
    #METHOD 2#
    [STEP2]- Download the recovery image. Rename it to "recovery.img" for simplicity, and place it in the following directory:
    Code:
    Code:
    [STEP4]- repeat [1] from [STEP4] onwards

S-ON
    "I'm S-ON, I can't boot recovery, and my phone doesn't boot :eek:"
    This is a bit of a worse situation, as you cannot flash system critical parts such as the recovery image and just restore a backup.
    This unfortunately means that you will lose all of your data when you attempt to fix the phone.
    [STEP1]- Make sure that you have a goldcard. If not, create one from the tutorial.
    [STEP2]- Battery pull. Hold the BACK button and the POWER button to boot into FASTBOOT mode.
    [STEP3]- Download the latest WWE RUU from here
    [STEP4]- Run the RUU and wait for completion WARNING: DO NOT, BY ANY CIRCUMSTANCES INTERRUPT THE PROCESS -
    THIS WILL MORE THAN LIKELY END UP WITH A BRICKED PHONE - NOT EVEN IF GOD HIMSELF TELLS YOU TO DO SO, OR IF THE US PRESIDENT THREATENS YOU WITH
    THERMO-NUCLEAR WAR

[STEP5]- Once the phone is booted, you are now returned completely to stock. You will need to re-root again, and I'd recommend S-OFF

S-OFF'ing PROBLEMS
    "I tried to S-OFF using revolutionary, but it didn't work"

Possible causes:
    - Your Bootloader version is too old. Revolutionary works with 0.93.0001 and 1.02.0001
    - You didn't install the relevant drivers
    - HTC Sync is interfering with the process
    - You have a custom ROM installed -ONLY USE THE STOCK HTC ROM

[STEP1]- Check bootloader version. Power-off, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER.

YOUR BOOTLOADER VERSION IS NOT 0.93.0001 or 1.02.0001
    [OPTION1]- Use Alpharev instead
    [OPTION2]- Use a RUU to upgrade to the 2.2 Froyo RUU which gets you to 0.93.001 bootloader version - Follow from S-ON [STEP1]

The latest is gingerbread 2.3.3 however I DO NOT recommend using it.

YOU DID NOT INSTALL THE RELEVANT DRIVERS/ HTC SYNC IS INTERFERING
    [STEP1]- Disable or un-install HTC Sync
    [STEP2]- Try Again

#DIDN'T WORK?#
    [STEP1]- Download and install these drivers
    [STEP2]- Follow this guide
    [STEP3]- Try again

#DIDN'T WORK?#
    [STEP1]- give up on this guide, do some research, start a thread in Q&A if needs be. As a last resort try the IRC client for live support..

RUU PROBLEMS
    "I tried using a RUU, but it failed, and now my phone is stuck on a black HTC Screen with /!\ In every corner!"

Possible Causes:
    - You were S-OFF and you flashed a custom bootloader from alpharev
    - You didn't check the MD5 Sums before proceeding, and the download may have been corrupted.
    - You tried using the wrong RUU

Fixing your problem
    Your phone is stuck in RUU mode. RUU mode is like fastboot mode, and can still receive fastboot commands, therefore it can be easily "fixed".
    It helps to have a goldcard for this problem, so that you can use any RUU you want.

S-OFF
    [STEP1]- download "Bravo Stock" from Alpharev
    [STEP2]- download Android Flasher
    [STEP3]- use android flasher to flash "Bravo Stock"
    [STEP4]- run the RUU again and wait for it to finish

S-ON
    If you're S-ON it eliminates the possibility of you having a custom bootloader, and the only possibility now is that the RUU was corrupted or you
    used the wrong RUU for your device. Therefore, for this process you need a goldcard.
    [STEP1]- Create the goldcard from the tutorial
    [STEP1]- Use the WWE RUU

NOTE: If you are restoring for warranty purposes, unless you bought an unbranded phone, using
    the WWE RUU will VOID YOUR WARRANTY, and you should use the 2.3.3 RUU (link available from #resources)

SLCD BRICK (BLACK SCREEN AFTER RUU)
    "I restored my phone using a RUU, the process finished and my device is detected by my PC, but my screen is black and does not turn on"

Cause:
    - The RUU you flashed is incompatible with your SLCD Device, and was made for the AMOLED Desire

Solution:
    [STEP0]- My guess is that because you got yourself to this STEP already, the RUU you used was not for your phone so you already have a goldcard.
    [STEP1]- Download the WWE RUU
    [STEP2]- Boot into fastboot mode (battery pull since you can't see, hold BACK and POWER. Wait about 10 seconds to be sure)
    [STEP3]- Plug phone in via USB and run the RUU

RUU PROBLEMS CONT'D/ GOLDCARDS
    "My phone isn't functioning properly, and I need to use a RUU,however when I try I get a CID error"

Possible causes:
    - You are just using the wrong RUU for your phone. If you have a branded device e.g. on Vodafone, you need to download the latest Vodafone RUU.
    - For an unexpected reason, your phone is giving you a CID error, even with an unbranded device [note: the "fix" to this is the logical steps one would take in order
    to try and solve the problem, however it has not yet been tested and it is not 100% guaranteed to work for you]

Solution:
    The obvious solution to this problem is the goldcard. A goldcard makes the device ignore the CID and effectively enables you to run any RUU without any hiccups.

[STEP1]- Follow this tutorial to create a goldcard
    [STEP2]- Insert the goldcard into the device, and re-try the RUU process

Phone doesn't boot so can't get CID like in tutorial
    - use this and copy the CID without spaces or commas. Follow the tutorial from further stage.

#DIDN'T WORK?#
    - it IS possible you made a mistake in the goldcard process. Follow the tutorial carefully, and try again

#DIDN'T WORK?#
    - not all sd-cards will work as goldcards, if you have a spare sd-card lying around try that, or read around some forums for what sd-card definitely works in the process.
    The sd-card I use for my goldcard is a Sandisk 8GB Mobile Ultra Class 6 (NOTE: This does not mean I am telling you to buy it, I'm just simply stating that it works.)

#DIDN'T WORK?#
    - for now, that's all I can think of. Anyone who has any more ideas feel free to PM me.

RUU WITHOUT USB CONNECTION
    "My USB port is broken and I need to use a RUU to return my phone to stock. How do I do it?"
    "I need to use a RUU because my phone is "broken" but I have no access to a PC"

RUU without USB:
    IF YOU'RE S-ON, START FROM [PHASE2]. S-OFF CONTINUE FROM [PHASE1]
    [PHASE1]- Because you're S-OFF, the custom SPL (hboot) has write protection, a RUU will not overwrite it and only restore the system, data etc.
    [P1/STEP2]- Download the Alpharev Downgrader PB99IMG (MD5: 6c482ccfa6b7093de4ee1a5804ccbdfc - check MD5 matches with MD5 checker, link below)
    [P1/STEP3]- Rename it from "PB99IMG_downgrade" to just "PB99IMG.zip" (careful with file xtensions on windows 7)
    [P1/STEP4]- put the file in the ROOT of your sd-card (not in any file or folder) and boot into bootloader (poweroff, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER).
    After a few seconds, you will be prompted to update bootloader. Select Yes. DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS, OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE. Wait for it to finish,
    reboot and then continue.
    [PHASE2]- we need to extract rom.zip from the RUU. If your phone is branded Orange, you will need a goldcard because Orange didn't release any RUU's.. The bastards
    [P2/STEP1]- Run the RUU (BUT DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE OR CONTINUE), move it to the side as it cannot be minimised.
    [P2/STEP2]- go to start menu, and use the "run" feature. Type in %temp%
    [P2/STEP3]- select "date modified" to "today" (to make it easier to find). There are should now be 2 folders with long names of random characters.
    [P2/STEP4]- search the folders for rom.zip and extract it to the desktop.
    [P2/STEP5]- Rename the rom.zip to PB99IMG.zip (if on windows 7 and you have hidden file extensions, only make the name PB99IMG,
    otherwise it will be PB99IMG.zip.zip - because windows is retarded sometimes)
    [PHASE3]- now we need to actually use the RUU
    [P3/STEP1]- put the file in the ROOT of your sd-card (not in any file or folder) and boot into bootloader (poweroff, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER).
    [P3/STEP2]- Once the process is finished, you will now be S-ON and unrooted with the stock system.

STILL S-OFF AFTER RUU
    "I want to return my phone for warranty, I used a RUU but I'm still S-OFF"

Cause:
    - Alpharev's Hboots are write protected, so that they can not be overwritten by a RUU

HOW TO S-ON
    METHOD 1#
    [STEP1]- Visit Alpharev and download the "Downgrader"
    [STEP2]- Flash the downgrader over fastboot. This can be done with Android Flasher, cmd, or fastboot commander (Note: android flasher is the
    only program that does not require third party software such as Android SDK or Java JDK)
    [STEP3]- You should now notice the title on the bootloader screen is "Alpharev Unlock", run the RUU again and you will have S-ON'd your device.

#METHOD 2#
    [STEP1]- Instead of running the RUU again, and putting your phone at risk once more, you can simply upgrade just the bootloader manually,
    with the PB99IMG.zip method.
    [PHASE1]- we need to extract rom.zip from the RUU.
    [P1/STEP1]- Run the RUU (BUT DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE OR CONTINUE), move it to the side as it cannot be minimised.
    [P1/STEP2]- go to start menu, and use the "run" feature. Type in %temp%
    [P1/STEP3]- select "date modified" to "today" (to make it easier to find). There are should now be 2 folders with long names of random characters.
    [P1/STEP4]- search the folders for rom.zip and extract it to the desktop.
    [P1/STEP5]- delete everything EXCEPT "hboot_8x50_0.93.0001_20100810.nb0" and "android-info.txt"
    [P1/STEP6]- rename the zip to PB99IMG.zip (make sure it is not PB99IMG.zip.zip)
    [PHASE2]- now we need to update the bootloader
    [P2/STEP1]- put the file in the ROOT of your sd-card (not in any file or folder) and boot into bootloader (poweroff, hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER).
    [P2/STEP2]- Once the process is finished, you will now be S-ON.

DESIRE DEEP SLEEP ISSUE
    "I put my Desire on standby, and now the screen won't turn back on!"

Causes:
    - Your phones network not being able to connect to a certain network type (Hard to explain)

Fixing Deep Sleep
    [STEP1]- Enter dialpad
    [STEP2]- type *#*#4636#*#*
    [STEP3]- Go to "phone information
    [STEP4]- Change "preferred network type" to GSM only, or CDMA only

Side effects
    - your phone will only be able to connect to either HSDPA, 3G or 2G (depending on what you pick), therefore if a certain area is not covered by that network.. you will not have data

FLASHING CUSTOM RECOVERY
    "I'm using clockworkmod, but I want a different recovery"
    "My recovery is damaged and won't let me flash"

As said above, you either want to flash a different recovery to test out it's different features, or perhaps you read that one is better than the next,
    so you want a different one. Or your recovery is damaged, and you need to re-flash a different recovery image.

FLASHING RECOVERY
    In order to flash recovery, you need to be S-OFF

[STEP1]- S-OFF using revolutionary - if you have any problems go to S-OFF'ing problems, [STEP1]
    [STEP2]- Download the recovery image that you have chosen. If you have not chosen one, then I recommend Amon Ra's Recovery
    #METHOD 1#
    [STEP3]- Download the recovery image of your choice. Put it in a place you can remember.
    [STEP6]- Wait for the process to complete.
    #METHOD 2#
    [STEP2]- Download the recovery image of your choice. Rename it to "recovery.img" for simplicity, and place it in the following directory:
    Code:
    Code:

*Recovery CAN be flashed using unrevoked, however I haven't personally done this and I'd just recommend S-OFF

PVT4 DEVICES
    If you're device is PVT4/ erasezie 40 000 deivce (You can check in bootloader, first line will say Bravo PVT1/2/3/4 SHIP S-OFF/ON)
    or by entering the following command in terminal emulator (available in android market):
    Code:
    su
    cat /proc/mtd

You CANNOT use clockworkmod 2.X.X.X because it is incompatible, I recommend using Amon Ra's Recovery as I know it works.

ROOT WITHOUT USB CONNECTION
    #NOTES: MUST BE BOOTED INTO ROM, ONLY TESTED ON FROYO AND S-OFF - MAY WORK WITH OTHER SOFTWARE #
    "I can't connect via usb, but I want to root"

Possible Reasons:
    - You are unrooted and you have a usb brick
    - you do not have access to a PC/ Mac
    - some other strange reason :p

How to root without USB connection
    This process uses temproot and ROM manager to flash recovery. You will only be fully rooted once you flash a rooted ROM.
    [STEP1]- Download visionary. Put in on your sd-card
    [STEP2]- If you have not got one already, download a file manager (Astro file manager works fine)
    [STEP3]- Using the file manager, find Visionary and install it.
    [STEP4]- Run visionary, and select TEMPROOT NOW - wait about 30 seconds
    [STEP5]- Go to market, and download superuser, then update the binary if needed
    [STEP6]- Download ROM Manager, run it, and select "flash recovery"
    [STEP7]- Download a custom ROM if you have not done so already, and flash it via recovery.

[12]FLASHING SPLASH SCREEN
    "I have a branded Desire and want to get rid of the UGLY splash screen"
    "I want to use a custom splash image instead of the HTC logo"

How to flash custom splash
    #METHOD1#
    Method one uses Android Flasher
    [STEP1]- If you haven't got it already, download Android Flasher
    [STEP2]- Get a 480x800 .bmp image as your desired splash screen
    [STEP3]- boot into fastboot (poweroff, hold BACK and POWER) and run Android Flasher
    [STEP4]- choose splash, choose the .bmp image and flash the flash the splash

#METHOD2#
    Method two uses cmd, and for this you need a .img (also covered in the tut). It also needs Android SDK set up
    [STEP1]- Download nbimg.exe and unzip it into C:\
    [STEP2]- Get a 480x800 .bmp image as your desired splash screen, rename it to splash1.bmp and put it in C:\
    [STEP3]- open cmd and type:
    Code:
    cd\
    nbimg -F splash1.bmp
    [STEP4]- you will now have a file called splash1.bmp.nb - rename it to splash1.img
    [STEP5]- boot into fastboot (poweroff, hold BACK & POWER)
    [STEP6]- in cmd type the following:
    Code:
    fastboot flash splash1 c:\splash1.img
    fastboot reboot

Stock Splash screen
    - Stock splash screen can be downloaded here. Procedure for changing remains the same.

RECOVERY CAN'T MOUNT SD-CARD
    I flashed a new recovery, and now my phone doesn't recognise my sd-card. I get the following error:
    Code:
    E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
    (No such file or directory)
    E:Can't mount /sdcard

HOW TO MOUNT SD-CARD
    [STEP1]- Firstly, you will need Android-SDK (If you don't already have it)
    [STEP2]- Boot into fastboot mode (Poweroff, hold BACK & POWER)
    [STEP3]- Open command prompt (cmd) and type the following command
    Code:
    cd\ C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    fastboot oem eraseconfig

ERROR: AdbWinApi.dll IS MISSING
    [STEP1]- Go to: C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    [STEP2]- Copy "fastboot.exe
    [STEP3]- Go to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    [STEP4]- Paste fastboot.exe here
    [STEP5]- type the following NOTE: THE DIRECTORY IS DIFFERENT HERE TO BEFORE
    Code:
    cd\ C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    fastboot oem eraseconfig

ERROR: 'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

CAUSE:
    When you downloaded the Android-SDK installer, it installed the the SDK in a different directory, try using:
    Windows 32Bit
    Code:
    cd\ C:\program files\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    fastboot oem eraseconfig
    Windows 64Bit
    Code:
    cd C:\program files (x86)\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    fastboot oem eraseconfig

STILL DOESN'T WORK
    Try:
    - Different recovery
    - Different SD-Card
    Possible Reasons
    - Your recovery is damaged
    - Your SD-Card is dead
    - you forgot to insert your sd-card and you're doing all this needlessly?

FLASHING HBOOT/SPL
    in order to flash a hboot/spl, you need to be s-off

[STEP1]- s-off using revolutionary - if you have any problems go to s-off'ing problems, [STEP1]
    [STEP2]- download the hboot image that you have chosen.
    #METHOD 1#
    method one uses android flasher to flash the hboot/spl image.
    [STEP2]- download android flasher
    [STEP3]- download the hboot image that suits your rom. Put it in a place you can remember.
    [STEP4]- run android flasher, tick "hboot", and press "begin"
    [STEP5]- browse to where you downloaded the hboot image, select it, and press "open"
    [STEP6]- wait for the process to complete.
    #METHOD 2#
    method two uses cmd and requires android sdk to be set up.
    [STEP2]- download the recovery image of your choice. Rename it to "hboot.img" for simplicity, and place it in the following directory:
    Code:
    c:\
    Code:
    fastboot flash hboot c:\hboot.img
    fastboot clear cache
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Easiest Root Method
    - The easiest root method for the HTC Desire

[STEP1]- Check Hboot version. Poweroff, and hold Volume Down & Power (it's the number after "HBOOT". Examples are 0.75xxxxx, 0.83xxxxx, 0.93xxxxx, 1.02xxxxx)
    REVOLUTIONARY
    [REVOLUTIONARY]- If your HBOOT version is 0.93 or above (NOTE: Version 1.03 is NOT supported) then continue, if it is below then use the Alpharev method.
    [REVOLUTIONARY][STEP1]- Go to revolutionary.io and go to the "Downloads" section, Pick your operating system, choose device as HTC Desire, and choose your HBOOT version (you should already know this from STEP1). Then enter your serial number, it can be found in "about phone" or behind the battery.
    [REVOLUTIONARY][STEP2]- Read the documentation page and download these fastboot drivers.
    [REVOLUTIONARY][STEP3]- Make sure HTC Sync is disabled, if you have it installed on your PC. Plug your phone in via USB and make sure USB debugging is turned ON (settings> applications)
    [REVOLUTIONARY][STEP4]- Extract all of the tools from the revolutionary.zip file and run revolutionary.exe. A CMD window should pop up and show you the progress (See [3] for how it should look like).
    [REVOLUTIONARY][STEP5]- When the process is almost finished, it will prompt you to flash a custom recovery, type YES or Y. Follow tutorial number [10] if you would like to flash a different recovery - This is optional and not required if you decide to flash recovery during the revolutionary process.
    [REVOLUTIONARY][STEP6]- Download superuser.zip (mirror), put it anywhere on your sd-card (preferably in a path you can remember). Boot into recovery by holding Volume Down & Power (You will see lines of green text flash, this is normal), then using the volume keys to navigate to RECOVERY, and use POWER to select. The phone will now boot into recovery.
    [REVOLUTIONARY][STEP7]- Once you are in recovery, use the trackball (if it's broken then use volume keys) to navigate to "install zip from sd-card > choose zip from sd-card > #directory where you put superuser.zip# > superuser.zip > yes"
    [REVOLUTIONARY][STEP8]- After the process is finished, reboot, and your phone will now be rooted.
    ALPHAREV
    [ALPHAREV]- If your HBOOT is 0.93 or below (For version 0.93, you can use revolutionary or alpharev. revolutionary is significantly easier/ quicker), then use this method.
    [ALPHAREV][STEP1]- Go to Alpharev.nl and read the page carefully. Download the reflash utility and burn it to a CD.
    [ALPHAREV][STEP2]- Reboot your PC, change the boot order for CD/DVD and boot the alpharev disk. Make sure USB debugging is turned ON (settings>applications) and plug it in via USB. Then follow the onscreen instructions.
    ALPHAREV][STEP3]- When the process is almost finished, it will prompt you to flash a custom recovery, type YES or Y. Follow tutorial number [10] if you would like to flash a different recovery - This is optional and not required if you decide to flash recovery during the revolutionary process.
    [ALPHAREV][STEP4]- Download superuser.zip (mirror), put it anywhere on your sd-card (preferably in a path you can remember). Boot into recovery by holding Volume Down & Power (You will see lines of green text flash, this is normal), then using the volume keys to navigate to RECOVERY, and use POWER to select. The phone will now boot into recovery.
    [ALPHAREV][STEP5]- Once you are in recovery, use the trackball (if it's broken then use volume keys) to navigate to "install zip from sd-card > choose zip from sd-card > #directory where you put superuser.zip# > superuser.zip > yes"
    [ALPHAREV][STEP6]- After the process is finished, reboot, and your phone will now be rooted.

These are some useful links to and resources you may find... useful.

Tutorials:
    - ADB & Fastboot by MatDroid (A+)
    - ADB by Droidzone (A+)
    - Goldcard tutorial
    - ADB and Fastboot for windows by rootSU (A++)
    - ADB Help 1, 2
    - Creating your own Bootanimation by MatDroid
    - 1.03 Hboot downgrade

Tools:
    - Android Commander
    - Android Flasher
    - fastboot commander (Awesome <3)
    - Android SDK (adb & fastboot)
    - Alpharev 1.8 (S-OFF & SPL's) / Revolutionary (S-OFF & Drivers)
    - RevSkills Goldcard generator
    - Hboot drivers (need for Unrevoked)
    - Java JDK (need for android-sdk, fastboot commander etc.)
    - RUU's (Factory ROM's to return phone back to stock i.e. unroot, S-ON*) / WWE RUU in case shipped-roms is dead / Android 2.3.3 RUU
    - Visionary - Froyo temproot

Recoveries:
    - Ra Desire
    - Clockworkmod 2.5.0.7
    - Clockworkmod 5.0.2.0
    - RMD Recovery (USB Brick Fix)
    - 4EXT Recovery/ 4EXT Touch > Recommended, better to use 4EXT Recovery Control from Play Store.

Radios/ RILs: WARNING: EXPERIENCED USERS ONLY
    - Radios
    - RILs

ANY MORE HELPFUL TOOLS/ LINKS GIVE ME A SHOUT!

These are probably not up to date:​
    Updated 27/09/11

Added video
    Very nice thread! Thanks for your work!

Btw I found a little mistake:

STILL S-OFF AFTER RUU
    "I want to return my phone for warranty, I used a RUU but I'm still S-ON"

Think it should say "still S-OFF"

Thanks :) but... you HAD to say it in front of everybody didn't you? :p