[APP][MOD]Hangouts v2.0 VZW

Search This thread

Tried it. it doesn't crash, but it doesn't send or receive mms. If I use the Messaging (the default/stock sms/mms) app, Hangouts will see the mms I sent to myself, but when I tap on download, it never downloads the MMS. I tried modifying the APK with apktool to add my APN to the list, but when I recompile it, I get a lot of resource errors. I tried decompiling and ignoring resources, but then when recompiled and signed, Hangouts just crashes.... not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I know its because my APN isn't listed. The same thing happened with Handcent SMS, when they updated to v5. My MMS settings weren't listed in the app, so it wouldn't even touch MMS. I ended up just using the stock Messaging app, with SMS Popup for quick reply.

Here is my APN:

name: Straight Talk
apn: tfdata
mmsc: http://mms-tf.net
mmsproxy: mms3.tracfone.com
mmsport: 80

If you do add the APN, I would be greatly appreciative, and will rapid fire the Thanks button, in hopes that it unlocks the undocumented secret 100X mode.

Last edited:

fersingb

Jun 20, 2010
Montreal
Hi,

Could you tell me how you decompile/recompile the apk?

When I try to rebuild the apk using apktool I get some errors:

error: No resource identifier found for attribute 'requiredAccountType' in package 'android'

And also

brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [/tmp/brut_util_Jar_6415880790659542398.tmp, p, --debug-mode, --forced-package-id, 127, --min-sdk-version, 9, --target-sdk-version, 18, --version-code, 20122130, --version-name, 2.0.122 (904984-30), -F, /tmp/APKTOOL8333792091004443289.tmp, -0, arsc, -I, /home/boris/apktool/framework/1.apk, -S, /home/boris/Hangouts/com.google.android.talk-2.0.122 (904984-30)/res, -M, /home/boris/Hangouts/com.google.android.talk-2.0.122 (904984-30)/AndroidManifest.xml]
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:434)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Androlib.java:362)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:285)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:258)
at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:236)
at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:88)
Caused by: brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [/tmp/brut_util_Jar_6415880790659542398.tmp, p, --debug-mode, --forced-package-id, 127, --min-sdk-version, 9, --target-sdk-version, 18, --version-code, 20122130, --version-name, 2.0.122 (904984-30), -F, /tmp/APKTOOL8333792091004443289.tmp, -0, arsc, -I, /home/boris/apktool/framework/1.apk, -S, /home/boris/Hangouts/com.google.android.talk-2.0.122 (904984-30)/res, -M, /home/boris/Hangouts/com.google.android.talk-2.0.122 (904984-30)/AndroidManifest.xml]
at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.java:482)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:415)
... 5 more
Caused by: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [/tmp/brut_util_Jar_6415880790659542398.tmp, p, --debug-mode, --forced-package-id, 127, --min-sdk-version, 9, --target-sdk-version, 18, --version-code, 20122130, --version-name, 2.0.122 (904984-30), -F, /tmp/APKTOOL8333792091004443289.tmp, -0, arsc, -I, /home/boris/apktool/framework/1.apk, -S, /home/boris/Hangouts/com.google.android.talk-2.0.122 (904984-30)/res, -M, /home/boris/Hangouts/com.google.android.talk-2.0.122 (904984-30)/AndroidManifest.xml]
at brut.util.OS.exec(OS.java:89)
at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.java:476)

The APNs I want to add:

<apn carrier="Fido Default" mcc="302" mnc="370" apn="fido-core-appl1.apn" mmsc="http://mms.fido.ca" mmsproxy="205.151.11.13" mmsport="80" type="default,supl,mms" />
<apn carrier="Fido Internet" mcc="302" mnc="370" apn="internet.fido.ca" type="default,supl" />
<apn carrier="Fido Tethering" mcc="302" mnc="370" apn="isp.fido.apn" type="default,supl" />

The Fido LTE already exists in the resource file.

I don't know if they are all necessary, but that's what I have for my provider in my rom's apns-conf.xml and the stock sms app is working. And why isn't hangout using the system wide apns-conf.xml file?

If you could add those APNs in your apk it would be cool ;)

renzo.olivares

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2011
any other apns people want that don't work with the official playstore hangouts apk?

Could you tell me how you managed to decompile/recompile the Hangouts apk? I tried with apktool but it failed. I would be cool if I could do it myself.

Thanks

Same thing here.. I tried, and it didn't work. I installed both frameworks (res and tw) and it fails every time I try to recompile.

It would be helpful to do it myself, so that as the app updates, I can keep my MMS working. Not sure why they didn't use the system wide APN file..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

kenohki88

Mar 28, 2010
Patterson
Installed this earlier today, followed instructions and running smoothly thanks joelz one of my friends picked up Nexus 5 and I was getting tired of not receiving his part of texts in group conversations kept saying "sent attachment" on his texts haha

Sent from my dlx using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

renzo.olivares

Jan 6, 2011
oh sorry i meant to tell you guys how I did it, take the hangouts apk and decompile it, then take a framework-res.apk and decompile it, take the apns.xml from the hangouts decompiled apk and add your stuff to it, then delete the apns.xml in the framework-res.apk and put the modfiied hangouts one in, then recompile the framework-res.apk, take the compiled apns.xml and place it into the hangouts.apk using 7zip or whatever done:)

oh sorry i meant to tell you guys how I did it, take the hangouts apk and decompile it, then take a framework-res.apk and decompile it, take the apns.xml from the hangouts decompiled apk and add your stuff to it, then delete the apns.xml in the framework-res.apk and put the modfiied hangouts one in, then recompile the framework-res.apk, take the compiled apns.xml and place it into the hangouts.apk using 7zip or whatever done:)

Do you use any special tools, though? On my win8 box, I have the latest jdk, all my .net frameworks, latest SDK with all 2.x, 3.x, & 4.x APIs, apktool b2.0.0.6. Aapt from the SDK. When I try to recompile, it constantly throws resource errors. Just curious how you run it, that it works for you.

Sent from my TARDIS

unstab1e1199

Oct 24, 2013
Any idea why this app will send the first few sms with a clean install then just stop sending? I've tried 2 different versions and both have done this.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

ace29ace

Jun 13, 2008
Hi and can you add the two following apn

Name: Optus MMS
Home Page / MMSC: http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002/
APN: MMS
Primary / MMS Proxy: 61.88.190.10
Port: 8070
MCC: 505
MNC: 02
Auth Type: PAP
APN type: mms
MMS Protocol (For Android 2.1 or higher): WAP 2.0

Telstra MMS APN

Name: Telstra MMS
APN: telstra.mms
MMSC: http://mmsc.telstra.com:8002
MMS proxy: 10.1.1.180
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 505
MNC: 01
Authentication type: CHAP
APN type: mms

Thanks in advance

kenohki88

Mar 28, 2010
Patterson
Ok spoke too soon haha I'm in viper sense 5 everything EXCEPT video calling works...damn...anybody else having this problem? Just barely tried video call after about 24 hours of using this mod app...I really love using it to text/MMS but I need video chat as well

Edit: went ahead and downloaded from the Android central link video working as well as SMS/MMS....sweet! Thanks again Joelz

Last edited:

renzo.olivares

Jan 6, 2011
Do you use any special tools, though? On my win8 box, I have the latest jdk, all my .net frameworks, latest SDK with all 2.x, 3.x, & 4.x APIs, apktool b2.0.0.6. Aapt from the SDK. When I try to recompile, it constantly throws resource errors. Just curious how you run it, that it works for you.

Sent from my TARDIS

im not compiling the hangouts apk im compiling the framework-res, and taking the compiled apns.xml and placing it into the already compiled hangouts.apk i think you could even pull the cm apns.xml and put it in the hangouts.apk and it would work fine

Reactions: mattgyver

ncotton

Dec 22, 2007
For those waiting on a fix for other APNs I can advise that extracting the hangouts.apk (it's a zip) and deleting the apns.xml from the res/xml folder, then recompressing back to an zip/apk has worked for me.

Hangouts now uses the normal APN info from the OS and I've confirmed sending and receiving on Fido works with the modded version.

Note: the app is really slow when picking contacts, not sure if that's related. I may try replacing the whole file with one from CM or ASOP to see if it makes any difference.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlpineMan

renzo.olivares

Jan 6, 2011
sorry guys been busy does anyone still need this? i'll do it but over the weekend right now to busy with college apps

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
For those waiting on a fix for other APNs I can advise that extracting the hangouts.apk (it's a zip) and deleting the apns.xml from the res/xml folder, then recompressing back to an zip/apk has worked for me.

Hangouts now uses the normal APN info from the OS and I've confirmed sending and receiving on Fido works with the modded version.

Note: the app is really slow when picking contacts, not sure if that's related. I may try replacing the whole file with one from CM or ASOP to see if it makes any difference.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Excellent fix...this way the user can add/remove their own APNs in /system/ etc/apns-conf.xml file.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Title says it all it's the hangouts 2.0 app modified so that MMS for verizon actually works, I just added verizon's apn's back to the apns.xml in /res/xml/apns.xml because google left them out......

heres the link to the app: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23203820527945732

for some reason i can't get it to install just by pressing install. i had to remove the hangouts/talk app....and then had to use es file explorer to move the modded hangouts app to /system/app/ then it worked. but yea i can finally send mms now :)
    I thought I did, but what are the permissions supposed to be, maybe I'm not setting them to the right thing. So I put it in system/app/ then change the permission then restart, and I then it should just show up or I should be able to install it or what? Because the last times I've done it, nothing shows up when I restart it: :)

Thank you for working with me

Easy answer is to check some other apps permissions. It should be all for owner, read for group, none for other. If using chmod, the chmod code would be 740.
    What are your guys thoughts on hangouts using as sms instead of sense sms ?

i'm using it right now, multipart sms is all i'm missing other than that i like the UI better of hangouts
    What are your guys thoughts on hangouts using as sms instead of sense sms ?

It's definitely better than CM's built in messenger.
    i dont need the apns just tell me what carriers and i'll add them, tell me in the next day, don't want to update 3-4 times for one carrier lol, also you must make 100%%%% sure that the original hangouts/talk app is removed from your before you try to install in /system/app/ and /data/app/