Keyboard layouts and tweaking

Search This thread

sweetsuicide

Feb 2, 2014
Hello everybody,
I am starting to work on this wonderful phone because there's someone out there who is quicker on hw keyboard than on onscreen keyboards.
I have an xperia pro and a used doird4 for evaluation. I'm Italian and as many of you know, the xperia pro has different layouts for different languages (mostly). The nice thing about the stock roms (and their latest JB/ICS updates) of both phones is that you get suggestions over the physical keyboard that you can quickly select while typing, making the whole process quicker and nicer.
I tried to read tons and tons of posts on xda back in the xperia pro days, but what I understood that it was a custom Sony software. Turns out the droid 4 stock roms also have this kind of software feature.
Since newer versions of android actally work better with the most updated google services, why did this feature fall out from roms like cyanogen and carbon? What can we do about that? Who is responsible for the development of that piece of software?
For the moment I will try to load Mentor.37 's rom alongside cyanogen using BMM.
Sorry for the lengthy question, but I'm new in xda and it won't let me post in the right places. I would like to see also suggestions from other physical keyboard phones users on the issue.

sweetsuicide

Feb 2, 2014
Hello everybody,
I am starting to work on this wonderful phone because there's someone out there who is quicker on hw keyboard than on onscreen keyboards.
I have an xperia pro and a used doird4 for evaluation. I'm Italian and as many of you know, the xperia pro has different layouts for different languages (mostly). The nice thing about the stock roms (and their latest JB/ICS updates) of both phones is that you get suggestions over the physical keyboard that you can quickly select while typing, making the whole process quicker and nicer.
I tried to read tons and tons of posts on xda back in the xperia pro days, but what I understood that it was a custom Sony software. Turns out the droid 4 stock roms also have this kind of software feature.
Since newer versions of android actally work better with the most updated google services, why did this feature fall out from roms like cyanogen and carbon? What can we do about that? Who is responsible for the development of that piece of software?
For the moment I will try to load Mentor.37 's rom alongside cyanogen using BMM.
Sorry for the lengthy question, but I'm new in xda and it won't let me post in the right places. I would like to see also suggestions from other physical keyboard phones users on the issue.

Anyone at least can help me to inspect what piece of software is responsible for the hardware keyboard suggestions?

Regards