Stop flashing until usb problem is fixed...

Search This thread

millen

Apr 17, 2009
Hi everyone,

Just a word of advice: Rooting + Flashing ROMs for the Desire may og may not brick your devices. As you can see in this thread http://android.modaco.com/content-p...-usb-connectivity-etc-and-root-a2sd/page/540/ we are quite a few with bricked devices - and no way to un-brick them so far.

Nobody yet knows what might have caused this - maybe Apps 2 SD.

I would advice for everyone to wait flashing any further until this issue is clarified!!!

MasDroid

Sep 19, 2009
Thanks for the heads up. Not been flashing much as of late but was planning to try out a different ROM. Does this problem affect all customised ROMs or just certain newer builds?

rolfd

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 25, 2010
Norn Irn
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thanks for the heads up. Not been flashing much as of late but was planning to try out a different ROM. Does this problem affect all customised ROMs or just certain newer builds?

It is about as random as can be is the best way to decsribe it! Some people flash many times and have no bother, others flash once and the phone is bricked :rolleyes:

It so far doesn't seem to be exclusive to any particular rom, people speculate it may be A2SD, but others think it's the actual rooting process. To be honest, no one actually knows why it's happening and how to fix it. All that is certain is that more and more people are posting with the issue.

MasDroid

Sep 19, 2009
It is about as random as can be is the best way to decsribe it! Some people flash many times and have no bother, others flash once and the phone is bricked :rolleyes:

I take it you have a bricked phone then? I hope this gets resolved soon especially for those who might have turned their phone into nothing more than a paper weight.

It so far doesn't seem to be exclusive to any particular rom, people speculate it may be A2SD, but others think it's the actual rooting process. To be honest, no one actually knows why it's happening and how to fix it. All that is certain is that more and more people are posting with the issue.

Since many people have reported this issue, is there not some kind of pattern emerging? Hopefully we can isolate the problem to something in particular, as you stated, whether it be caused by the rooting process, Apps2SD, or a USB driver issue.

For those who are experiencing this, might be an idea to post computer specs, what ROM they attempted to install, and other associated things so we can narrow down the problem.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I've flashed loads so far and have no issues - finally got a ROM I like at the mo so will leave it for now...probably :D

DocRambone

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 7, 2010
Stockholm
My guess its the recovery, its not installed to the phone and its very sensitive for connection: do not move phone or cable during flash.

millen

Apr 17, 2009
My guess its the recovery, its not installed to the phone and its very sensitive for connection: do not move phone or cable during flash.

I don't mean do break up the good mood in this thread. But if you have a problem/issue with this, please follow the thread on MoDaCo - any kind of input is welcome in this debate :)

BTW: If any moderator reads this: Can we make this sticky until problem is solved? :confused::confused:

MasDroid

Sep 19, 2009
I managed to brick mine by knocking it during the flashing process. I did not use A2SD.

I think DocRambone is onto something here... he stated a few posts back that he thinks it may be down to the sensitivity of the connection/cable while the phone is in recovery mode during flash, and you mentioned that you bricked your phone while knocking it while flashing in recovery?

From my experience, whenever I attempted to flash Desire cutoms ROMs, I did not move the USB cable at all and it worked fine. Had the phone placed on the desk and kept it stationary while flashing. I have not had any problems with Apps2SD or USB driver issues either.

rolfd

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 25, 2010
Norn Irn
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I did mine from the laptop and the phone on the sette beside me. lol. I initially thought I'd knocked it and the battery came out, but I'm fairly sure now that the battery wasn't the problem, it fits too tight to come out with a simple knock of the hand.

Anyway, all I can say is if you brick it, and can unroot it, and bought it at the carphonewarehouse, you will be fine! They took it back and gave me a new one, no questions asked. I'm not going near a root process untill there is a fix now :p

JeckyllHavok

Jul 21, 2007
Afaik there are two possible solutions for the issue

1. someone needs to security unlock the spl, so that we are able to use all fastboot commands
2. In the modaco thread someone found some helpfull kernel commands

so, if anyone either is experienced in spl modifications or capable of programming c for the kernel commands, pleade send me a pm

onenew

Oct 4, 2007
I don't mean do break up the good mood in this thread. But if you have a problem/issue with this, please follow the thread on MoDaCo - any kind of input is welcome in this debate :)

BTW: If any moderator reads this: Can we make this sticky until problem is solved? :confused::confused:

I have read the last few pages of the MoDaCo thread but still I am not clear about the issue.

Is it there are some unknown factors causing the root process to brick the USB? But still you can flash stock RUU in fastboot?

JeckyllHavok

Jul 21, 2007
you can flash back to stock cause fastboot is still working and so you can flash the signed stock roms (thoose with release keys or the testrom with testkeys) but due to the fact that adb is nomore working you can't enter the custom recovery to flash cooked roms

JeckyllHavok

Jul 21, 2007

Just send a message to one of the mods, he sure will make that post sticky
--edit---
man, theese guys are fast, now it's sticky

Last edited:
Easy and apparently safer method of rooting?

Not sure if anyone's seen this on modaco but using the tiny core linux has worked well for me, with 3 flashes from a stock HTC ROM and currently running eViL De-SiRe after trying paul's initial boot then the Cyanogen Port.
May flash again tonight with the Kernel release the ROMs will get better and better.