[Q] Android 4.4.3/4.4.4 bug - Backing out of apps, opens recent application

Search This thread

liorry

Aug 1, 2009
When I flashed stock 4.4.3 update (kernel, radio and firmware) I thought maybe I've installed a bad ROM.
Every time I backed out of certain applications, the last application in the recent apps list (the one before the one I just backed out from) opened for a second and closed it self.

For example, I played Boom beach, sent it to background using HOME.
Then, I used App Stats, played around in some screens and then backed out of it -> Boom beach opened for a second and closed itself.

Then I installed the 4.4.4 update, and this still occurs...
This doesn't happen with every application... I can back out of most apps without any issue.

This never happened on 4.4.2 and lower.

It may be an app issue and not the system so I'd love a feedback from you guys before I contact the apps developers.

Am I the only one who experience this issue?

sidnoit22

Sep 22, 2011
Gwalior
www.kickedface.blogspot.com
When I flashed stock 4.4.3 update (kernel, radio and firmware) I thought maybe I've installed a bad ROM.
Every time I backed out of certain applications, the last application in the recent apps list (the one before the one I just backed out from) opened for a second and closed it self.

For example, I played Boom beach, sent it to background using HOME.
Then, I used App Stats, played around in some screens and then backed out of it -> Boom beach opened for a second and closed itself.

Then I installed the 4.4.4 update, and this still occurs...
This doesn't happen with every application... I can back out of most apps without any issue.

This never happened on 4.4.2 and lower.

It may be an app issue and not the system so I'd love a feedback from you guys before I contact the apps developers.

Am I the only one who experience this issue?

Backup your data and try factory reset.

Salty Wagyu

May 28, 2011
England
Very weird... I wonder how this is not well known by now. Did you update your firmware with the OTA or a flashable zip? Maybe it's ROM related?

I factory resetted in TWRP then Fastboot erased leaving no trace behind, and then fastboot flashed 4.4.3. It's stock.

It's probably not well known because people may be using their device differently, pressing Home to exit an app instead of using Back maybe... or they don't think much of it to report it, I know I didn't, but it does get annoying after a while.

Reactions: liorry

liorry

Aug 1, 2009
I factory resetted in TWRP then Fastboot erased leaving no trace behind, and then fastboot flashed 4.4.3. It's stock.

It's probably not well known because people may be using their device differently, pressing Home to exit an app instead of using Back maybe... or they don't think much of it to report it, I know I didn't, but it does get annoying after a while.

Well, now that I know I'm not alone, I'll report it later today.
Maybe Google is trying to kill the back button ;)

Thanks for the info!

mara-

Oct 7, 2012
Strange, I just tried to reproduce this bug on my phone with 4.4.3 and I don't have that bug. But, I have franco's kernel, maybe that makes some difference.

liorry

Aug 1, 2009

mara-

Oct 7, 2012
Well, I don't have this bug. I just opened CSR Racing, pressed Home to minimize it, then I opened eBay application, then I pressed Back, and it went normally to home screen, CSR Racing did not appear.

EDIT: I managed to reproduce it. CSR Racing appeared for a second when I exited from Settings. I never noticed this until I read this topic. So, bug exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: liorry

MelquiXDA

May 18, 2010
Recife-PE
Well, I don't have this bug. I just opened CSR Racing, pressed Home to minimize it, then I opened eBay application, then I pressed Back, and it went normally to home screen, CSR Racing did not appear.

EDIT: I managed to reproduce it. CSR Racing appeared for a second when I exited from Settings. I never noticed this until I read this topic. So, bug exists.

It's a intermittent bug....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

sarus_b

Jun 12, 2012
Mumbai
That's a known bug... No kernel or rom can change it. Funny how people think changing kernel can solve it lol.

Possibly it's related to Android system/systemui. I think only Google can fix this issue...

liorry

Aug 1, 2009
That's a known bug... No kernel or rom can change it. Funny how people think changing kernel can solve it lol.

Possibly it's related to Android system/systemui. I think only Google can fix this issue...

I'm sorry to ruin your LOLness :) but it may be a kernel/ROM related issue. I already found a 4.4.3 ROM (LiquidSmooth 3.0, didn't check 3.1) where this bug doesn't occur.
Moreover, the kernel is responsible for cleaning up the memory by killing and restarting applications.
I created a small application that behaves like a taskiller (restartPackage/killBackgroundProcesses) and kills every app I exit, just for testing purposes and it didn't work as expected on 4.4.3/4.4.4 so I think it's probably a kernel issue (4.4.3 received an updated kernel which is used on 4.4.4 as well).

It can still be a systemUI issue but even if it is, that can be fixed on AOSP ROMs, without waiting for Google.

If you have a link to the reported bug ("known bug"?) that would be great.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts