Would anyone buy this? Seems really redundant...

Search This thread

sanjsrik

http://www.intomobile.com/2014/02/13/easiest-way-transfer-media-files-smartphonetablet-computer

The SanDisk Ultra Dual USB Drive comes with a regular USB port on one hand, and a microUSB one – on the other. So when you want to move some files from your mobile device, simply connect the SanDisk’s device to a microUSB port and copy all the photos and videos you want. Then, connect the same device using a regular USB port to a computer and make a local copy of those files.

pjm77

Jul 15, 2009
Wroclaw/Derry
I disagree. I don't think it's purpose is to move files between PC and phone. I think it's about having a pendrive that's also accessible via phone. Plus connecting the phone to YOUR computer is easy enough, but it's not that simple in libraries, airports, other people's houses etc. If I was using a pendrive I'd buy it. But I don't.

LancerV

Nov 20, 2007
http://www.intomobile.com/2014/02/13/easiest-way-transfer-media-files-smartphonetablet-computer

The SanDisk Ultra Dual USB Drive comes with a regular USB port on one hand, and a microUSB one – on the other. So when you want to move some files from your mobile device, simply connect the SanDisk’s device to a microUSB port and copy all the photos and videos you want. Then, connect the same device using a regular USB port to a computer and make a local copy of those files.

I would its like the same as using a USB OTG cable but not having to have the cable

brex91

Nov 29, 2013
for the price, I'd rather just get a normal flash drive thats cheaper and use the otg cable. I already have one, and it's not really inconvenient.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
If you have proper cables and don't mind carrying them, then this is kind of redundant, if you don't have cables, then this is as simple as it gets, albeit little more expensive. But frankly, I would never use it just to copy files to computer, the cable comes with phone for free and nothing beats dragging files with mouse from one drive to another on the computer. But if you want to backup your files or make room for new on the go, then I could see this as being useful.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah, but that will only work if you have:
1. good signal
2. really unlimited data plan.
Personally I don't see reason to backup few small files, since you can get SD card for cheap and store it on the phone memory and SD card as backup. I'm talking for example about being on vacation and actually running out of memory due to picture and video taking, where you need to offload gigabytes of data, where good signal and unlimited data could be completely out of question. Actually I may be taking trip to China this summer and could be facing this particular issue for real and any cloud type solution is not going to work at all. On my home turf I have access to computers daily, so again cloud services are pretty much useless, even if I had unlimited data, which I don't. I know Google and others are trying to sell us on cloud storage solutions, instead of physical storage, but in certain situations above limitations can not be overcome.

sanjsrik

Yeah, but that will only work if you have:
1. good signal
2. really unlimited data plan.
Personally I don't see reason to backup few small files, since you can get SD card for cheap and store it on the phone memory and SD card as backup. I'm talking for example about being on vacation and actually running out of memory due to picture and video taking, where you need to offload gigabytes of data, where good signal and unlimited data could be completely out of question. Actually I may be taking trip to China this summer and could be facing this particular issue for real and any cloud type solution is not going to work at all. On my home turf I have access to computers daily, so again cloud services are pretty much useless, even if I had unlimited data, which I don't. I know Google and others are trying to sell us on cloud storage solutions, instead of physical storage, but in certain situations above limitations can not be overcome.

I use airdroid about 4-5 times/day. I log in using the web interface and transfer files from my laptop to my device. If the device is sitting next to my laptop, how bad can the signal be?