[How-To] Unlock the bootloader of xperia devices

Search This thread

mihahn

May 26, 2012
I followed the official guide from Sony and everything was going fine until I was supposed to write the fastboot command, than it just says <Waiting for device>. "Fastboot devices" command also gives me nothing, so it obviously doesn't communicate with the phone. Bootloader unlock is allowed and i have USB debugging mode checked.

When I connect the phone in fastboot mode, blue LED lights up and computer recognizes it (in Device manager I see Android phone and Android bootloader interface below it - and it says that the device is working properly), before I Installed the Sony fastboot driver (android_winusb.inf) there was "S1boot Fastboot" with yellow exclamation mark in the device manager, so everything seems to be in order... When the phone is connected in USB debugging mode and I write "adb devices" in cmd it shows me the device (BX902ZCAEU), then I write "adb reboot bootloader" and it reboots into bootloader, but fastboot still isn't working. Essentially, everything is like in this video (youtube.com/watch?v=f5W2BC7O8J4 - I just registered, so I can't post links...) except the fastboot isn't working.

The phone is running stock ICS (4.1.B.0.587) and it is rooted using this guide (talk.sonymobile.com/thread/41119?start=0&tstart=0) - but I had the same issues before it was rooted, so that's not causing the problem. I tried installing/reinstalling multiple android_winusb.inf drivers including the one from the "Howto: Install the Android SDK" guide on cyanogenmod wiki (which should have support for all cyanogenmod supported devices). I have also tried using PdaNet to install drivers (like some forums suggested), restoring the device with Sony PC companion and most importantly I also tried it with my brothers phone (Xperia pro) and on two different computers (Win7 x64 and Win7 x86) and I still have the same issue - so the problem seems to be between the chair and the keyboard...
Also It's worth mentioning that when I installed Android SDK, fastboot.exe was in platform-tools (not tools) folder so I was running it from there, but than I also tried copying it to the tools folder (without and than with the other contents of the platform-tools folder) and i tried copying contents of the tools folder to the platform-tools folder (basically I tried to run it in both locations in every condition possible). And I tried using multiple fastboot.exe files which I downloaded from the internet.
At this point I have exhausted any possible (and impossible) options I could think of.

Any suggestions? Please, I'm starting to get desperate...

Okay, try uinstalling the "S1boot Fastboot" driver and connect device, windows will search for drivers, you stop that and point to the winusb file. Then the device should be recognized.

If not, try it with the SE Bootloader Unlocking tool, maybe this one works :good:

cachiputi

Jun 8, 2012
Okay I think I know now what has happened:
If you unlock via wotan server it could be like unlocking via testpoint method. The status in service menu won't change, but the bootloader is unlocked.

Please try to flash a custom kernel (boot.img) and it should work :good:

Maybe you could just tell us if it works ;)

Ok, it proved, to see if hopefully this Rom and Kernel rise again to download it. I will comment on here if it works.

Thanks for your time.

Incidentally, the license to use WotanServer I had to make the phone the Test Point.

Reactions: karyk

karyk

Nov 10, 2012
Nejdek
Okay, try uinstalling the "S1boot Fastboot" driver and connect device, windows will search for drivers, you stop that and point to the winusb file. Then the device should be recognized.

If not, try it with the SE Bootloader Unlocking tool, maybe this one works :good:

Done that, several times actually...After that, the device is recognized by the computer, in the Device manager I see "Android phone" and Android bootloader interface" below it (when the phone is conected in fastboot of course) - and it says, the device is working properly. But no luck with fastboot.

As for the SE Bootloader Unlocking tool, I will try it, but I don't have much faith in it. Because a few hours ago I tried it using the flashtool (and Installed the drivers from flashtool... like this SE Bootloader Ulocking tool guide says). The SE bootloader tool seems to me like pretty much the same deal as the flashtool.

Using the Flashtool There is something weird going on - when I hold the volume down button and turn the phone on green led shines and flashtool says "device conected in flashmode", so that's okay. When I do the same with volume up button blue led shines (which is fine) but the flashtool will again say "device conected in flashmode". I can't wrap my head around this. :confused:

thanks for the answer

mihahn

May 26, 2012
Done that, several times actually...After that, the device is recognized by the computer, in the Device manager I see "Android phone" and Android bootloader interface" below it (when the phone is conected in fastboot of course) - and it says, the device is working properly. But no luck with fastboot.

As for the SE Bootloader Unlocking tool, I will try it, but I don't have much faith in it. Because a few hours ago I tried it using the flashtool (and Installed the drivers from flashtool... like this SE Bootloader Ulocking tool guide says). The SE bootloader tool seems to me like pretty much the same deal as the flashtool.

Using the Flashtool There is something weird going on - when I hold the volume down button and turn the phone on green led shines and flashtool says "device conected in flashmode", so that's okay. When I do the same with volume up button blue led shines (which is fine) but the flashtool will again say "device conected in flashmode". I can't wrap my head around this. :confused:

thanks for the answer

That's really strange, but ypur phone says bootloader unlock allowed:yes?

Please try the tool, maybe it works...

Sent from my SK17i running Jelly Bean via CM10

karyk

Nov 10, 2012
Nejdek
That's really strange, but ypur phone says bootloader unlock allowed:yes?

Please try the tool, maybe it works...

Installed the Flashtool drivers, tried the tool (everything like in the guide), no luck - it actually froze when I hit the unlock bootloader button.
Then i uninstalled drivers again and connected the sk17i in fastboot, but this time i let windows to find drivers online (before I just skippped it and installed the android_winusb manually right away) and it did install SEMC Flash Device (I see it under USB controles in device manager). So it seems like the device doesn't actually go into fastboot mode (even though blue LED shines...).

I also tried unlocking the bootloader via the testpoint method and there I ended up with error (qcReceivePacket: can't get packet start.) at the end of the procedure... But that seems to caused by my phone manufacturing date being 12W18 (apparently this method only works with devices that have been manufactured earlier...)
Now I'm really lost... I'm gonna try downgrading the phone to stock GB and start over, i have made it my personal endeavour to make this work, so I'm gonna try to change anything even remotely connected to my problem...

Last edited:

mihahn

May 26, 2012
If your phone isn't recognized, how about opening flashtool, click on the flash, fastboot mode, reboot into fastboot mode? What's happening then?

Yes try it on gingerbread again...

karyk

Nov 10, 2012
Nejdek
If your phone isn't recognized, how about opening flashtool, click on the flash, fastboot mode, reboot into fastboot mode? What's happening then?

Yes try it on gingerbread again...

Did that already "reboot into fastboot mode (via ADB)" reboots the phone and blue LED is on, but the flashtool will again say "device conected in flashmode"... "reboot int fastboot mode (via fastboot)" obviously doesn't work as the device is not in the fastboot mode. Before I had the flashtool I also did write "adb reboot bootloader" in cmd, it rebooted with blue led, but than "fastboot devices" command gave me nothing (as expected, because It's the same thing as when i do it with flashtool)...

Just successfully finished downgrading to 4.0.2.A.0.62, but I got to go for now. I'll try it in the evening and post the result.
thx for helping

cachiputi

Jun 8, 2012
Ok, it proved, to see if hopefully this Rom and Kernel rise again to download it. I will comment on here if it works.

Thanks for your time.

Incidentally, the license to use WotanServer I had to make the phone the Test Point.

Works!! :D
I instaled KernelPanik and ICS rom

WotanServer open and unloked BootLoader

THANKS!!

karyk

Nov 10, 2012
Nejdek
Did that already "reboot into fastboot mode (via ADB)" reboots the phone and blue LED is on, but the flashtool will again say "device conected in flashmode"... "reboot int fastboot mode (via fastboot)" obviously doesn't work as the device is not in the fastboot mode. Before I had the flashtool I also did write "adb reboot bootloader" in cmd, it rebooted with blue led, but than "fastboot devices" command gave me nothing (as expected, because It's the same thing as when i do it with flashtool)...

Just successfully finished downgrading to 4.0.2.A.0.62, but I got to go for now. I'll try it in the evening and post the result.
thx for helping

So I tried getting the fastboot work with the downgraded phone and still the same issue. Although one thing has changed, when the phone is connected in USB debugging mode and I write "adb devices" into the cmd it reports a different code than before (used to report BX902ZCAEU, now it says 42583930325A43414555). This is just getting weirder and weirder... I'm out of ideas, could this possibly be a phone related problem?

karyk

Nov 10, 2012
Nejdek
Fastboot it does not

So I´ve confirmed that the problem is indeed with my SK17i. It doesn´t matter if I connect the phone holding the volume UP button or volume DOWN, it simply behaves the same way (only difference is that the LED is either blue or green).
The Flashtool always says that the device is in flash mode, doesn´t matter if the LED is blue or green. When updating/restoring via PC companion or SEUS it doesn´t matter if I connect the phone with volume UP or DOWN, it works either way. I also tried getting fastboot to work in Ubuntu and while assigning UDEV rules I found out that it reports the same thing in both cases (using the lsusb command it repported 0fce:adde in both cases - and 0fce:0166 in normal mode and 0fce:5166 in USB debug).
My only explonation for this is that the phone is either faulty, or it is lying (Cose it does indeed say "Bootloader unlock allowed: yes"). So It seems that I'm stuch with stock - which is really annoying since I really like the phone but I can't say the same thing about the firmware.
I doubt there is any solution for that, but if anyone has any idea please post it, I'm subscribed to this forum.

karyk

Nov 10, 2012
Nejdek
@karyk:
I had the same problem...blue lights on but command window says "waiting for device":silly: so I downloaded another fastboot.exe and it worked:D try this here: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-sony-xperia-s-2/

If you had read my last post carefully, you would probably find out that I don't really have the same problem as you did. But I'm currently on a boring lecture, so I have some time and I tried your fastboot.exe anyway - unsuccsessfully as expeted... Thanks for the reply anyway.

mihahn

May 26, 2012
If you had read my last post carefully, you would probably find out that I don't really have the same problem as you did. But I'm currently on a boring lecture, so I have some time and I tried your fastboot.exe anyway - unsuccsessfully as expeted... Thanks for the reply anyway.

There are some devices where fastboot is disabled, but I don't know how to enable. I think it is impossible mate :(

Maybe if somebody knows how to enable fastboot, please let us know :good:

karyk

Nov 10, 2012
Nejdek
There are some devices where fastboot is disabled, but I don't know how to enable. I think it is impossible mate :(

Maybe if somebody knows how to enable fastboot, please let us know :good:

So I explained my problem at xperia support forums and the guy there told me that only thing I could do is to call local support team and have the phone examined :(... I'm not gonna do that cose I need to use the phone and there are no other problems with it.

I used Flashtool to flash a different 4.1.b.0.587 (which seems to be faster than the one I got updating in SEUS), I also rooted it and removed everything I don't need. The performance is very good right now - but still, I would like some features of custom ROMs and kernels.

Thanks for all the answers.

mihahn

May 26, 2012
Why I can't open *#*#7378423#*#* menu after Unlocked bootloader and some mod? :confused:

Some custom roms/mods remove this menu, because they think you won't need it. You could take the servicemenu apk from stock rom or another stock based rom, then you can use it again :good:

Reactions: banguncool

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a tutorial on how to Unlock the bootloader of xperia devices.

First of all: This will void your warranty and only necessary to install custom kernels or custom roms. If someone told you to unlock the bootloader for rooting, you needn't do that. Just check out my rooting guide here. So let's go on - and - read everything carefully!!!!

I accept no responsibility for any damage of your phone or pc! You do all this on your own risk!
    It will void your warranty and you will loose DRM, so you can't use trackid anymore. You mustn't do updates over the air, otherwise your phone will brick!!! You won't be able to update phone via pc companion or sony update service anymore, you will have to flash the rom via flashtool!

Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your /data partition. So please save your personal data before unlocking!

First you check, if your bootloader is unlockable. For that you have to be on stock sony rom. You type: *#*#7378423#*#*
    Now you are in the service menu. Go to "Service info" -> Configuration and look at the bootloader status.
    If Rooting Status -> Bootloader unlock allowed: yes, you can go on :)

attachment.php

1. Manually like on sony's homepage

2. Automatic with the SE Bootloader Unlocking Tool by quangnhut123

3. Testpoint Method

1. Manually

For this you need the following tools/files/etc:

- Android SDK from here
    - Modified android_winusb.inf-file from here
    - Fastboot.exe (Just search for it on google for example)

So let's start:

Go here and click yes. After that type in your IMEI. Go to your phone and type *#06#* and you will see your IMEI. Now go back to your browser, type in your Name, Email-adress and your IMEI and click submit.
    LEAVE THE WINODW OPEN, IT WILL PROMPT YOUR UNLOCK CODE. Write it down on a piece of paper and lets go on.

Now we will set up android sdk. You install it to the directory you want and start it.

attachment.php

Check your Android Version, the Tools, and from extras the google usb driver and install them.

Now you go to the installation folder and open tools

attachment.php

and paste the fastboot.exe there:

attachment.php

Now you go back to the installation folder and open extras > google. There you paste the modified android_winusb.inf

attachment.php

Now we have everything set up and can go on the phone :good:
    Turn off your phone and hold the unlock button (usually the volume up button) and connect to pc. The blue led will light up.

Go on the pc and your pc will ask you for drivers. Point to the android_winusb.inf-file and your phone will be recognized. If not, download flashtool from here and install it. You go to the installation folder and open drivers and install all the drivers provided.

Now we open a command window from windows and go to the installation folder of the android sdk. Then we go in the tools folder. Use the following commands to navigate:
    cd .. = one folder up
    cd foldername = open folder
    dir = show content of the folder

attachment.php

And we can see the fastboot.exe in the tools folder:

attachment.php

Now the unlock process begins, make sure the phone is charged (over 20% is a must have, better fully) ;)

We type in the command window:

fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version

and if we get a value like 0.3 the phone is connected and responsing.

attachment.php

The next step unlocks the bootloader :)

To unlock your bootloader now enter the following code:
    fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY

Watch Out: You have to change KEY to the key you got earlier!

attachment.php

If everything goes well, you have an unlocked bootloader now! Congratulations :)

Now we are able to flash a custom kernel/rom, so check this out to know how to install the new kernel/rom ;)

This tutorial is based on the tutorial from sony. I don't own any files and if sony doesn't like me to do this tutorial, please let me know and I will delete this topic!
    2. Automatically with the SE Bootloader Unlocking Tool by quangnhut123

For that you go to this thread and hit thanks. After that download the tool.

Remember, unlocking the bootloader will void warranty! After unlocking bootloader, never try to update ota (=over the air)! PC Companion and SEUS won't recognize your phone after the following steps!
    Make sure your pc is connected to the internet, to get the unlock code from sony website. You will lose DRM like in the other tutorial!

If you want to unlock now, follow these steps:

1. Extract "SE Bootloader_Unlocking_Relocking_1.6.rar" and you'll find out "Flashtool-drivers.exe", run it to install. Check all drivers/phones, just to be sure all drivers are installed

2. Go to phone an input on the dial pad *#06#* to promt your IMEI.

3. Open the unlocking tool and in the first text field input the first 14 digits of your IMEI.

4. Press the Get Unlock Code button. Your unlock code will automatically appear in the Unlock Code Box.

5. Now turn off the phone, hold Volume Up and while pressing it you connect the USB cable to the computer. The blue led should appear, which means you are in fastboot mode to unlock bootloader.

6. Click the Unlock BL button. The program will automatically unlock your bootloader!

That's it, this is easier for newbie's, but remeber, it voids warranty! And do it on your own risk!

3. Testpoint method
    If you don't want to void your warranty (okay you do, but you can relock your bootloader and with some luck sony won't notice it's been opened, so you still have your warranty ;)) you can use the testpoint method.

You have to mess around with the hardware. This sounds strange, right?
    But it isn't even hard. Just read this great tutorial by DragonClawsAreSharp!

But note: This method will only work if your device was produced before building number 12w11 (as far as I know). You can check this number on the sticker under the battery :)

If you want to install a custom rom/kernel now, just go here for a guide ;)
    could you add this in op? its the link to download fastboot
    AW: [How-To] Unlock the bootloader of 2011 xperia devices

Hello Good day!
    just wanna ask, i'm trying to unlock my BL, my phone is XPERIA MINI.
    it is rooted, ICS, with custom ROM WALKMAN STYLE v4.0.

can i go through unlock process with this settings or i need to flash stock firmware first.

THANKS in ADVANCE! more POWER!

It should work, but maybe the unlocking process will do a factory reset. I would recommend to make a backup in cwm, flash the stock rom, unlock the bootloader, flash a custom kernel (prerooted+cwm) and restore the backup ;)

Sent from my SK17i running Android 4.1.2
    Ur awesome man!!! Though I lost all my apps and the mobile was completely reset but I finally sucessfully unlocked my bl :)

Okay for any questions just ask :)