CWM cannot restore /system due to no space (ZTE Blade C)

Search This thread

msmsmsmsms

Sep 27, 2012
Hey guys, I was trying to increase app storage by re-partitioning the internal storage with Mt657xRepartition_EN.apk, where I selected 1gb for app storage. The next step was to wipe data/factory reset. Post this step, the phone is stuck at boot logo. So I tried restoring my backup via CWM and it failed while restoring /system. The log reveals that system cannot be restored due to no space left on the partition. As per my understanding, the above repartitioning was for data partition, but it may have messed up something. Here is full log while trying to restore system from advanced restore:

Block size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 8192
Inode size: 256
Journal blocks: 2048
Label:
Blocks: 131072
Block groups: 4
Reserved block group size: 31
Created file system with 11/32768 inodes and 4206/131072 blocks
SDCardUpdate.apksdcarda7d2cf64.0bouncycastle.odexlibbinder.solimobilelog_jni.soProcyon.oggOrganDub.oggtar: write error: No space left on device Vendor_045e_Product_028e.klError while restoring /system!

When connected to MTKDroidTools, the device is recognised in CWM recovery, but the kernel and baseband fields are empty. There is a blue dot at bottom left with some Russian word (see attachment). With MTKDroidTools, I was able to recover block map on the ROM (see attachment) where it says the following: System space is 64,27,77,088 bytes. The recovery on the PC says the system.ext4.tar file is 52,72,86,272 bytes. Therefore it should be able to restore, right? Also, isn't cache a bit too big at 485490688 bytes, which is same as usrdata at 463mb? usrdata was about 463mb before starting this, so that means partitioning failed, right? (I had selected 1 gb for the same).

My apologies that I do not have the original block map of the phone, but the usrdata (apps) and fat (media) seem to be the same. Should I try wiping system and restoring again via CWM?

Other Details:

Note: 1. I am able to restore /data and /cache from CWM recovery. I'm a bit worried to try restoring boot partition
2. Backup was made using Custom CWM recovery made with MTKDroidTools

Device: ZTE Blade C
Processor: MT6577 by Mediatek
Storage: 4gb (about 430 to 460mb was internal storage (apps) and 2.2gb was phone storage (media))
ROM: Official, was rooted with vroot and replaced by SuperSU.

I tried flashing custom rom via spflashtools, but it seems to stay stuck at 0% with word searching below (It does recognize that connected at start). Probably has to do with the fact that the phone cannot connect properly to PC when connected in preloader mode (I have installed preload drivers, but the phones seems to connect and disconnect every second)

I really need to revive this device, preferably with some extra space in usrdata partition, if possible. I have browsed several threads and collected this information based on that. Any pointers, help, information, diagnosis, guidance, steps, etc. would be much appreciated. I'll try my best to find my way to the solution. Please tell me if you need any other info. This device is at the edge of bricking. And I had given this to my dad on Father's Day 2 days back. He wasn't receiving emails due to low storage and I told him I can fix it. It would be terrible if I tell him I killed his phone.

Thanks for consideration to those who read through and did not reply for being unable to help.

Update:

When backup was made with MTKDroidTools, I found this:

- nodl_pmt
- PMT tables found
- PMT tables OK, 18 blocks found
--- Kernel Block Map to PMT mismatch!
-------------------------------------------
BlockName Offset
Kernel: __NODL_BMTPOOL 0x00000000FFFF00A8
PMT: Not present! ??????????
--- scatter from PMTis write to the file:
E:\Desktop\Android\MTKDroid\backups\ZTE-BLADE-C_130508_backup_140617-053203\MT6577_Android_scatter_emmc_PMT.txt
- Use it if SP FlashTool errors of 8038 or 4050 occurs

Attachments

• blockinfo.jpg
    blockinfo.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
D

Darth

Hi!

Unfortunately playing with partitions can be a sensitive affair. Best left for very experienced tinkerers. Best way to free up space, is to free up space. ;)

I hesitate to point you to any one particular thread, as I am not sure with your device exactly where you stand....and what you can and can't do at this point.

I will ask a moderator to move your thread to the Blade section, so you don't have to type all this out again. One thing, maybe put your device info at the very top of your thread and even edit your thread title to say Blade C. That will get you more model specific help hopefully.

Your thread will be moved here, to ZTE Blade General section....

http://xdaforums.com/zte-blade/general?nocache=1&z=6848981278017163

Good luck! ?

msmsmsmsms

Sep 27, 2012
Can the post please stay here for a little while? :fingers-crossed: As you said, this stuff is for experienced Android tinkerers and I believe there will be many more experienced folks here than in the ZTE blade forum.

With the update, I think I am closing in on the problem. I just need to understand how I can fix "Kernel Block Map to PMT mismatch". I have also requested folks with ZTE blade C to retrieve the original partition tables via MTKDroidTools.

Thanks for your time.

D

Darth

Can the post please stay here for a little while? :fingers-crossed: As you said, this stuff is for experienced Android tinkerers and I believe there will be many more experienced folks here than in the ZTE blade forum.

With the update, I think I am closing in on the problem. I just need to understand how I can fix "Kernel Block Map to PMT mismatch". I have also requested folks with ZTE blade C to retrieve the original partition tables via MTKDroidTools.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry. XDA Assist is a place to get shown the way, not for troubleshooting or discussion. If you want answers, the area for your device is definitely the best place to post. ;)