*** UPDATE *** [2009-07-23] Wireless Tether for Root Users (Opensource)

Search This thread

Ohsaka

Jun 8, 2009
Does anyone use this with Firefox to browse the web and not have problems with images? Doesn't make much sense really, but its defiantly a combination of wireless tether + Firefox causing images not to load on all web pages for me...

ultra spikey

Jul 5, 2006
Does anyone elses phone get super hot when using this for at least 30 minutes? It gets so hot it feels like it could be damaging to the phone.

ZilverZurfarn

Feb 11, 2009
Göteborg
Yes, using both wifi and radio at full blast takes a lot of juice. It gets hot. Haven't heard of any damaged Dreams (for this reason) tho...

/Mats

Aug 1, 2009
Sorry if this has been asked before, it's kind of hard to search for my question, I tried looking up several tutorial videos but didn't find anything.

Can you get wifi to a laptop that has no bluetooth or wifi built into it? In other words, I'm talking via USB from the phone.

A side note: a WiFi card is not an option (long story).

Thank you very much, apologies in advance if this is the wrong place or has been covered.

SoTacMatt

Jan 7, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Sorry if this has been asked before, it's kind of hard to search for my question, I tried looking up several tutorial videos but didn't find anything.

Can you get wifi to a laptop that has no bluetooth or wifi built into it? In other words, I'm talking via USB from the phone.

A side note: a WiFi card is not an option (long story).

Thank you very much, apologies in advance if this is the wrong place or has been covered.

PdaNet does that. http://www.junefabrics.com/android/

sparklekid

Dec 9, 2009
is there a way to either toggle the wifi on/off? I also noticed that there's no uninstall option in the settings menu, but only "clear data" and "force stop." I would like to continue using this app but I would also like to have the g1 connect to a wifi access point as well at times. Thanks.

jakal323

Aug 27, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
What version of this will work with the new CM5 build for the dream. Should I stick with the one intended for the G1 (though it's marked as 1.6) or the N1 version? Anyone have any experience with this?

EDIT - NM misread the page. Thought there were different versions for each phone.

Last edited:

jean001luc

Aug 2, 2010
Xperia x10 mini

Is this wirless teathering only for devices listedunder download?
I have an Xperia X10 Mini. Will it work on there?
thank you

Ukrai

Aug 8, 2008
cannot browse

really need some help, been trying for days now and no luck

ive rooted my HTC Legend and installed a new 2.1 rom, i then installed wifi tethering app and allowed root access, all seems good, my laptop finds it and connects but it then gives a 'no internet access' label and will not browse in IE or chrome.

things i tried:

- Turned off windows firewall
- reinstalled wifi tethering app (latest test build from google code site)
- turned off Access Control & WEP
- Did (Re)-install binaries/config

Any other ideas?

Edit: i installed Barnacle Wifi Tether to see if its just the app, and this fails to even start up, gives error: "shell-init: error retrieving current directory: ge4tcwd: cannot access parent directories: permission denied" - could i have an issue with my root access? how can i test that?

Edit2: Installed another 2 different ROMS, a 2.1 and a 2.2, both of them would crash and reboot when starting wifi tethering (freeze on starting up), barnacle would start fine but still be undetectable by laptop.

Last edited:

Ukrai

Aug 8, 2008
really need some help, been trying for days now and no luck

ive rooted my HTC Legend and installed a new 2.1 rom, i then installed wifi tethering app and allowed root access, all seems good, my laptop finds it and connects but it then gives a 'no internet access' label and will not browse in IE or chrome.

things i tried:

- Turned off windows firewall
- reinstalled wifi tethering app (latest test build from google code site)
- turned off Access Control & WEP
- Did (Re)-install binaries/config

Any other ideas?

Edit: i installed Barnacle Wifi Tether to see if its just the app, and this fails to even start up, gives error: "shell-init: error retrieving current directory: ge4tcwd: cannot access parent directories: permission denied" - could i have an issue with my root access? how can i test that?

Edit2: Installed another 2 different ROMS, a 2.1 and a 2.2, both of them would crash and reboot when starting wifi tethering (freeze on starting up), barnacle would start fine but still be undetectable by laptop.

problem fixed, for those with the same problem, you need to replace your edify file, read this thread for instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=698421

hogsmate

Oct 9, 2010
@Harry

Thank you very much for this you saved my research I was going nuts for few months cos I couldn't make the ad hoc network work thanks man.

I'm gonna cite your in my thesis can you give me your details :) thanks

My email - rusiru.boteju@gmail.com

jwuerz

Jun 15, 2010
Milwaukee
Best app for any rooted Android phone!
Works with any Android version...
Thanks!

Sent from my Gingerbread on Dream using XDA App

austriker27

Feb 2, 2010
Great app!!

i downloaded the 2.0.7 version, and am using a G1 and she works like a beaut.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts