[Q] Full charge before first use - needed for correct batt. calibration?

Search This thread

mhca

Jun 21, 2011
Hi guys

I know this question has been asked many times before... whether to fully charge before using the phone the first time.

I believe this is something which stems from the time before Lithium-ion batteries.

However, I wonder if there is something with the battery stats which will be affected by turning on the phone before completely charging the phone?
In CWM there is a Wipe battery stats function... I was thinking if this was deleting some sort of info about the battery which was created the first time the phone is installed....

Some battery stats/calibration or similar is the only thing I can imagine which would benefit from having a full charge before first use. Can somebody enlighten me?

My girlfriend will be buying a new phone tomorrow (HTC Sensation on sale), and I would like to know first if their are any benefits to charging before first use?

Please don't just guess or come with comments like "I just used mine right away, no problems".

Thanks in advance.

BR, Martin

mArtinko5MB

Apr 18, 2011
Dont need any calobration soft or fully charged battery. Use it as you need.mentioned soft for calibration is needed when you flash device with new Rom to reset old settings :)

Regards

Sent from my LG-GT540 using XDA

icepally

Mar 19, 2010
ID
Fully charging the battery, without intermittently taking it off the charger, running it down fully, then recharging it fully is the best thing to do.

mhca

Jun 21, 2011
Dont need any calobration soft or fully charged battery. Use it as you need.mentioned soft for calibration is needed when you flash device with new Rom to reset old settings :)

"to reset old settings". When are these settings created? I'm thinking if the original battery settings are created at first boot on a brand new phone.

It needs a full charge before the first use so that the phone will understand what a full charge is but that's about it.

How does the phone understand what a full charge is? Does it create some battery settings file at first boot?
If not, then I guess fully charging could be done while the phone is being used by the user?

I haven't become more certain from the above answers... I still don't know if the phone somehow does a calibration to the fully charged battery which could be a reason for charging it before first boot.

mArtinko5MB

Apr 18, 2011
Fully charging the battery, without intermittently taking it off the charger, running it down fully, then recharging it fully is the best thing to do.

no offence, but this is bull****. This treatment of battery was good for old mobiles and absolutelly not neccessary for smartphones. Don't mess with him. I didn't fully charged battery in first use, now on my gt 540 with optimized 2.3.7 can get 5 day on battery !

Don't be confused by battery settings, they are stored in system, you mustn't bother with that.

Fully charged means 100% shown on status bar, nothing more nothing less. System know how to treat battery, no need for calibration(it's needed only when changing ROM -> new system -> new treat -> need to reset old settings)

Your only task with battery is, once a month drain her to 0% and charged to 100% without abortion (but also not neccessary), and charging mainly when 30-40% of battery. It's not recommended to go under there values for good life of battery

Regards

Reactions: mhca

Dark3n

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2007
twitter.com
no offence, but this is bull****. This treatment of battery was good for old mobiles and absolutelly not neccessary for smartphones. Don't mess with him. I didn't fully charged battery in first use, now on my gt 540 with optimized 2.3.7 can get 5 day on battery !

Don't be confused by battery settings, they are stored in system, you mustn't bother with that.

Fully charged means 100% shown on status bar, nothing more nothing less. System know how to treat battery, no need for calibration(it's needed only when changing ROM -> new system -> new treat -> need to reset old settings)

Your only task with battery is, once a month drain her to 0% and charged to 100% without abortion (but also not neccessary), and charging mainly when 30-40% of battery. It's not recommended to go under there values for good life of battery

Regards

I agree.
Fully charging and discharging was a practice to deal with the memory effect of older NIMH or NICD batteries.

Putting unnecessary charge cycles on todays cell batteries, just lessens their lifetime. They all offer an amount of charge cycles and each cycle reduces their capacity. The detailed amount of chargecycles that is sometimes in some infos, is usually something like after X amount of charge cycles the battery reaches 80% of its original capacity.

I'm not sure but i would guess that the phones determine the charge status through hardcoded characteristics of the used battery type, i.e. voltage dropoff etc. Fully charged at 4.22V, etc etc.

The batteries in our phones don't come fully charged is probably because storing these types of batteries at full charge for too long actually hurts them.
Storing them at something like ~3.8V is recommended for longer periods.

I'm no expert on this topic, so tell me if you find something wrong in my statement :), i'm eager to learn.

wesblake

Sep 10, 2010
Already proven

I wish I could find the article, but there was an experiment run on lithium ion batteries, particularly based on proliferation of mobile and these exact questions, where they ran down/recharged in different scenarios (different discharge percentages) until the battery went bad. They determined that the more you charge (the less you let it drain before re-charging), the more cycles your battery lasts. So it's as some have said, exact opposite of an old NiXX tech. This was done to < 10% increments, so they showed even a decrease in cycles between recharging at 95% and 90%
Moral of the story, don't let you're battery drain completely or even get too low, and charge as often as you can. This is why I use a dock on my desk at work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Regards