Universal UK or USA release date?

Search This thread

saldous

May 19, 2005
Does anyone have an expected release date for this yet? I may be moving from the UK to the US soon so just wondering what to get and where to get it!

superseagulls

Apr 23, 2005
And it's usefullness in the USA wil be somewhat limited.
It only has Tri band GSM so will be incompatible with some networks, also the 3G radio is a different standard in the USA to the Euro 3G - CDMA V W-CDMA I believe, but I'm sure someone will highlight what the acronym is. Thats why no USA networks have expressed any desire to release the Universal - maybe there will be another model bought out for the USA markets...

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
There will be a USA release eventually. HTC would be stupid to not make a version of the Universal that worked well in the USA.

There's lots of speculation on various message boards that HTC has already created a USA version of the Universal. Supposedly, it's being called "Apache" while it's still in testing.

There are lots of people in the USA using HTC devices right now. I can't imagine HTC deciding not to accept anymore money from those USA customers.

Pretty much everyone with an HTC device (or any other brand of Pocket PC for that matter) will give the Universal serious consideration when it's released. If HTC just ignored them, well that would not be a sound business decision.

Expect a version of the Universal to be released in the USA for use on the new EVDO networks (Sprint and Verizon).

Now Sprint and Verizon may decide not to carry the device, but I fully expect HTC to at least offer it to them.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
do sprint and verizon even offer gsm(sim) cards? i bought my jam from dubai when i was over there for summer vacation and now i'm using it with cingular. and if the device is released in the US it would be a while after its released in the UK and rest of the world. If you haven't noticed USA is really behind in the cell phone market.

Reactions: Cute Idiot

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
USA may be behind in the cell phone market, but all of the previous HTC products were released in the USA, so I don't see why the Universal would be any different.

The Wizard will be released in the USA, so why not the Universal? I could definitely see HTC ,aking a version for the USA. And probably making a CDMA version as well.

phamoui

Dec 26, 2003
Sao Paulo
www.techguru.com.br
It could be

Sorry Guys, But Cellphone Networks in USA sux! Your mobile phone carries got the "older model" planns to sell devices. Europe and Asia is at leats 5 years advanced than USA.

Here in Brazil GSM Networks are since 2002 so we got euro carriers with new terminals, 3G is already here.

HTC is preparing a special edition for you guys :)

[]s'

pH

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
What are you talking about? USA networks may be behind, in general, but both Sprint and Verizon have EVDO networks. That is pretty up to date technology.

HTC may very well be preparing a special version, but I highly doubt Brazil is getting anyting more technically advanced than the USA (from HTC at least)...

HTC sent the same Harrier and Blue Angel to the USA that they sent everywhere else. HTC is also sending the same Wizard to the USA that they sent everywhere else. Why should the Universal be any different?

Well, it might be a little different (hopefully it will be made for CDMA/EVDO).

jaythemagician

Jun 25, 2005
your carriers are well behind the uk and most of the rest of the world-maybe not 5 years though!the universal will be the same as the jam release wise-asia then europe then the us.just a shame your carriers are so slow that they cannot utilise the new technology the universal brings;)and what is with using a different frequency (850) is it just to be awkward?!lol.l have no doubts the universal will be available everywhere including the us;)

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
First off, I have to say that the Apache is not a CDMA version of the universal. Rather, it is a CDMA version of the wizard.

Second, yes the USA networks are a little behind the rest of the world. It sucks that we have to wait for new devices months after they have been released to the rest of the world. However, that may be changing. Check out the last couple pages of this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=22813&start=125

It is looking more and more like the new 6700 sprint will be releasing is the Apache. Right now the target release date is sometime from August to October. This would be amazing because it would be (as far as I know) the first 5.0 device released anywhere. It would be released in the US before Europe and Asia, and it would even be release before the wizard was released anywhere.

So maybe the US is catching up. Here's hoping :)

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
The USA networks are not lagging behind Europe and Asia. At least not all of them. Again, both Sprint and Verizon have EVDO networks. That is not lagging in any way. EVDO is a 3G technology, and it fully supports all the features on any of todays cell phones (even the Universal). The only thing is the networks are CDMA. But CDMA is not lagging behing the rest of the world either.

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
Actaully saltydawg, only verizon has EV-DO right now. Sprint won't be lauch there's till the end of the year. We should start seeing EV-DO phones coming out soon though.

As for what I said abou the USA being behind, that was mainly in reference to the delay in getting new phones to the US.

Zach

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
Sprint does have EVDO right now man. Currently the only devices that officially support it are laptop data cards. People have got it working on their PPC-6600's as well though.

But yes, we should start seeing lots more EVDO devices released soon...

dmc874

Mar 3, 2005
You have got to be kidding me if you think US networks do not lag behind European networks. By the time we get something new, Europe is already moved on to the next best thing. We are at least 2-3 if not 5-7 years behind.

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
SaltyDawg,

That makes more sense. I guess they just aren't really promoting that. It's pretty cool that some of the 6600s have got that to work though. There is supposed to be an official sprint update for the 6600 coming out in october I think.

Zach

bigblk150

Dec 2, 2004
PA
We can argue all day about whether or not the US lags behind in mobile network technology. Whan I can say is that when US carriers decide to go with a technology, it does take awhile to rollout.

HOWEVER, let's think about this. All of the countries we're being compared to are approx 10% of the size of the US. Individual European countries and their respective carriers have NO IDEA what a rollout in the US takes in terms of material, resources, and most importantly, money. Even the whole of Europe doesn't compare in size to the Continental USA.

Cut us a break, guys... :)

difensore

May 16, 2005
West Hell-A
GSM Technology in the US

well, you can argue all day about this but i would say that the US is way behind but we've been catching up some how ... the three main countries which keep on using CDMA is the US, Japan& Korea ... so if anybody really wants a really good phone for the verizon and sprint networks just look at what's available in japan ... they actually have 8.0Mp camera phones out ... while everybody's working on catching up here in the US ... Verizon is actually owned by VODAFONE that is why verizon was first in coming out with 3G with the help of their cousins across the pond ... which i am wondering why t-mobile doesn't use their connection being t-mobile ... the largest global wireless company (they have service in most of the countries in the industrialized world ... they even have dibs on singtel which is one of the powerful wireless carriers in asia) ...

t-mobile usa and t-mobile uk don't even work together (as per comment by one of the tech support people from t-mobile usa) ... i was trying to set up blackberry connect on my Sony Ericsson P910i which was from T-Mobile UK but our friends from T-Mobile US told me that they can't assist me ... so i ended up doing it myself ... as usual ....

hopefully the US gets hold of more phones, marketing somewhat sucks y'know ... i guess it's all about the blackberry over here in the US .... which, personally has an ugly interface and worse conventional phones which are almost as expensive as Palm, Pocket PC, and Symbian devices ...

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
Well the bottom line is not all USA networks a lagging way behind Europe and Asia. At least not anymore. Sprint and Verizon both have EVDO. EVDO is a 3G technology. So no way can anyone say Sprint and Verizon are lagging way behind Europe and Asia.

Now the phones they release on those networks may be a different story. But again, that has nothing to do with HTC. HTC releases the same phones in the USA that they release in Europe and Asia. So anyone saying HTC won't release the Universal in the USA is not looking at the recent history. And anyone saying all USA networks are lagging behind Europe and Asia is not looking at the present. Sprint and Verizon, with their EVDO, specifically.

hwjoplin

Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta GA.
UMTS in the USA

All I can say is soon, as in September/October UMTS will be deployed in 9 major cities in the US. The carrier in question already has a re-branded BlueAngel for sale. Word from marketing is that shortly after UMTS is deployed they will start carrying one of the re-branded HTC Universal devices . :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    do sprint and verizon even offer gsm(sim) cards? i bought my jam from dubai when i was over there for summer vacation and now i'm using it with cingular. and if the device is released in the US it would be a while after its released in the UK and rest of the world. If you haven't noticed USA is really behind in the cell phone market.
    Im from singapore and wondering when will the beast come to my shores...