[REF] A guide to all things root for your X8 [Read it before posting!]

Search This thread

aldee_s

Mar 1, 2011
Serang
www.blackwings.cz.cc
@ OP, i think you should just give the links to X10Flashtool for Rooting, installing Xrecovery, installing JiT, because its far more simple than using those method you gave, and that Flashtool is really VERY useful when we want to recover our Bricked X8 when it happens. Or maybe you want to give it as an alternative, just suggestion, because X10Flashtool is very important tools. thanks :D

ZionLord

May 3, 2011
Problem with SuperOneClick

Hi!
Im an Ubuntu user, and i have already android sdk; eclipse installed.also when i run adb device, the output is device so it should be connected to my x8!
but in the SuperOneClick when i click on "Device Check" the program close and im back to desktop.
heres my command line
sudo mono SuperOneClick.exe
System.NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
at System.Management.ManagementClass..ctor (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Management.ManagementClass:.ctor (string)
at SuperOneClick.DriverInstaller.buildBadDevicesList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SuperOneClick.DriverInstaller.checkDrivers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SuperOneClick.Form1.btnDriverCheck_Click (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mevent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mevent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonUp (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

If anybody can help me...please

khartaras

Feb 14, 2011
Hi!
Im an Ubuntu user, and i have already android sdk; eclipse installed.also when i run adb device, the output is device so it should be connected to my x8!
but in the SuperOneClick when i click on "Device Check" the program close and im back to desktop.
heres my command line

If anybody can help me...please

Mono doesn't exactly mix well with these kinda tools... I suggest you try Windows? (I'm a Linux man myself, I have a dualboot with SuSE but I keep Windows handy for situations like these xD)

ZionLord

May 3, 2011
ye, thats what im gonna do.just to say that it will give more work installing windows and config grub...thanx anyway ;)

drj0nes

Feb 6, 2011
flashtool

i flashed my Xperia X8 with

1. X8 Shakira E15i_2.1.1.A.0.6_generic.ftf
2. X8i_2.1.1.A.0.6_Baseband_015.ftf

and i hoped... to proceed with ROOT...CLEAN...xRecovery...JIT...

but buttons are not active ????

where i do some wrong ???

maijinace

Mar 16, 2011
Custom ROMs

Racht's HackDroid GingerBread (CyanogenMod 7): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914513

Racht is an amazing cooker, and it really shines through in this ROM. This features GingerBread (Android 2.3.3). It's really nice, it just takes a little bit more configuration.

UPDATE 25/04: Racht updated his rom! No more SD-Card safe to remove crashes, which also means this is the most stable rom to date. Thanks Racht!

Not working: Camera.

I have 3 questions!
1. you wrote that ratchs rom is most stable rom. Means that i schould use this or should i use mini rom for beginners (i ask becouse i have a navigation system)?
2. is compass needed to for navi like google maps or other?
3. i have baseband 006 instead of 015 but the pc c. dont want update it, what to do?

khartaras

Feb 14, 2011
I have 3 questions!
1. you wrote that ratchs rom is most stable rom. Means that i schould use this or should i use mini rom for beginners (i ask becouse i have a navigation system)?
2. is compass needed to for navi like google maps or other?
3. i have baseband 006 instead of 015 but the pc c. dont want update it, what to do?

My ROMs section is a bit outdated, I'll get cracking on that later.

About your questions:
1. MiniCM is probably a better choice for you.
2. Not really.
3. Just use PC Companion.

Reactions: maijinace

maijinace

Mar 16, 2011
thanks kh.

so i try some roms and i thins froyo 0.20 is best and stable one but afte 2 times it stoped working installed my origin firmeware 2.1

i flashed 2.1.A... firmeware i had 2.0.1... but pc companion dont updated it so i flashed a costum one everyone can download it at blagus mediafire.

proadi96

Mar 12, 2011
Enniscorthy (Ireland,Wexford)
thanks kh.

so i try some roms and i thins froyo 0.20 is best and stable one but afte 2 times it stoped working installed my origin firmeware 2.1

i flashed 2.1.A... firmeware i had 2.0.1... but pc companion dont updated it so i flashed a costum one everyone can download it at blagus mediafire.

Update it with SEUS i use pcc at first time but it wasnt work ... So i do it with SEUS and i have 015 baseband now :)

Sent from my E15i using XDA Premium App

android-noob

Apr 12, 2011
Athens
hello guys..thanks for the guide.
im trying to copy the 3 files from the xrecovery folder using root explorer to system/bin folder but i get this message "Warning.you cannot paste here because the file system is read-only"
What i did wrong? :(

A

Aiduharan

Change the thing at the top right and try again mount ro

Sent from my X8 using XDA App

kulen

Jun 27, 2008
Zagreb
when I root phone and install xrecovery and root explorer and flash a new ROM, is the device still rooted after that, and has them installed?

same question if I do a factory reset in phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, due to the huge amount of threads with information for the X8 I found, I think getting the info you need is pretty confusing.

Before you get started here are some smilies to motivate you and cheer you up: :) :) :D :) :)
    There. Feel better? I'm sure you do.

Download THIS: http://ul.to/l7wf2z6q
    That pack has everything you need.

Not saying that this is THE guide for everything, but it should sum it all up nicely.

A Warning

First off, let me start by saying that if you don't think you need rooting, don't root.
    It can be dangerous if done wrong, so be sure you know what you're doing.
    With that out of the way, let's get going then.

Updates and Basebands
    First, before you do anything else, you need to update your phone using PC Companion (download here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/pccompanion/xperiax8?cc=us&lc=en). PC Companion will guide you right through all the steps for updating.

The latest version is 2.1.1.A.0.6, and the latest baseband is M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404015.

You can check your version by going to Settings -> About Phone.
    If you are already running a custom ROM, you should update using PC Companion too, because some roms (like MiniCM) need the latest official version.

Advanced
    If you need basebands for your X8, here's a helpful thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=976538
    Flash them with FlashTool.

Rooting
    This is very simple to do, really.

First, download SuperOneClick (available at the top of the thread) and place it on your desktop.

Next, on your phone, go to Settings -> Applications and enable Unknown Sources. Next, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.

You also need the proper USB drivers. To check if you have them, start SuperOneClick.exe and click Driver Check. If the driver check fails, update your phone with PC Companion.

Now, connect your USB cable from your X8 to your computer. When connected it is VERY IMPORTANT to select CHARGE PHONE. Really, I can't stress this enough.

Start SuperOneClick.exe and just click ROOT. Everything should go normally. You might get a message asking you if your OS is 2.0 or higher, just go ahead and click Yes.

You should now be rooted!
    xRecovery
    YOU MUST BE ROOTED TO DO THIS

Installing xRecovery is the first step in the world of custom ROMs. Installing xRecovery also means if you are stuck in a bootloop, you can just recover to a working backup.

The first step is to download xRecovery mini-beta 0.1 (any other version WILL NOT work on your X8) (download available at the top of the thread).

Next, download Root Explorer (download available at the top of the thread).

Copy both the xRecovery folder and the Root Explorer .apk to your SD card.

Install any file manager from the Android Market (I recommend OI File Manager or Astro) and use it to browse to the Root Explorer .apk file and install it.

Run Root Explorer, browse to the xRecovery folder and copy the 3 files inside onto the /system/bin folder.

xRecovery is installed. To start xRecovery you press the Back button while the Sony Ericsson logo is showing during boot. Restart your phone and just keep tapping the back button repeatedly.

To move around in xRecovery you use the volume buttons, to select an item you press the Home button (the middle one), and to go back you press the Back button. Go ahead and make a backup of your current system (make sure you have at least 300MB of free space on your SD card.

You'll find the backup you just made in the xRecovery/backup folder. Name it something you can identify (don't use spaces). Copy that backup onto somewhere safe on your PC.
    Backups are REALLY important, don't be a lazy bum.

So, you bricked your phone.
    Don't panic, don't worry, everything is going to be alright. If you have xRecovery installed, just recover the latest backup you made. That simple. If, however, you DON'T have xRecovery installed, we can still recover your dear phone, don't worry :)

Using PC Companion: Connect your phone to your PC and turn it on. Look around the update phone section of PC Companion for an option called "Repair your phone". Just follow the steps and your phone will be in working order pretty soon :)
    So, if you have any questions, feel free to post below :)
    Custom ROMs

Alright, when it comes to custom ROMs, it's mainly personal preference. I'll list some ROMs I've tried (and recommend).
    7th May 2011 update: Because ROMs just keep getting updated, I won't be making reviews anymore, just gonna place the links to the ROM threads.

For Beginners!

I have tested and can vouch for all of these ROMs.

Floyo 2.2.1 miniCM by ponanovn (CyanogenMod 6): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=964223

Rating: [ :D ]

Floyo 2.2.1 miniCM by lizypen (CyanogenMod 6): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1036335

Rating: [ :) ]

More advanced ROMs

These use CyanogenMod 7, and the reason why I say these are more advanced ROMs are that they need a little more configuration to get up and running then these miniCM roms.
    Shpit's X8Gin GingerBread (CyanogenMod 7): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1089826

Rating: [ :D :D ]

Racht's HackDroid GingerBread (CyanogenMod 7): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914513

Rating: [ :D ]

Racht's HackDroid Floyo 0.20 (CyanogenMod 6): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914513

Rating: [ :D :D ]

doixanh's FroyoBread Froyo 2.2 (CyanogenMod 6): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1079463 - Features the latest build of CM6, amazing ROM :D

Rating: [ :D :D :D ]

Guys, there is a staggering number of ROMs being created, I might not be able to keep up :b
    Time for FAQs!

Frequently Asked Questions

This section will (hopefully) answer all your questions related with the X8. If you still have any doubts, go ahead and post here, or send me a PM.

SuperOneClick is stuck at "Waiting for device"!

This is most likely caused by the lack of USB drivers for your X8. Go ahead and click Driver Check in SuperOneClick. If the window that pops up says "No issues found!" the problem is NOT your USB drivers. Otherwise, download PC Companion (which comes with the USB drivers for the X8) right here. Install PC Companion and give your PC a reboot.

My Pinch Zoom isn't working!

First off, let's be sure you know HOW to use your pinch zoom. Open Gallery, or MultiTouch Visualizer, and place one finger after the other. Spread them apart and it should work. If not, things get a little bit more complicated. Install and prepare the Android SDK on your PC (instructions below). In the CMD window, type in "adb shell" (without quotes). Then write "cd /system/lib/modules" (also without quotes). After that type in "ls" and look for a file called x8gesture.ko. If it's not there, refer to the post below for instructions on how to install modules. If it IS there, check the first post of http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1004740.

I'm working on this section whenever I have time, which doesn't happen a lot, because of school.
    thanks kh.

Update it with SEUS i use pcc at first time but it wasnt work ... So i do it with SEUS and i have 015 baseband now :)

Sent from my E15i using XDA Premium App
    Ok, this thread is the officially X8 [REF] thread, gave you 2 posts in addiction to the first 2, tell me if you need others.

Good job :)

Thanks! I'll probably not going to use those 2 extra posts any time, too much school work... But I'll update them when I can.