HTC HD2 Screen Repair Guide

Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Do you have a damaged or cracked screen on your HTC HD2? Having problem with the display and other internal parts? This written repair guide will walk you through all the steps required to disassemble your HTC HD2 and repair a damaged screen or other internal parts in a safe, quick manner.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC HD2 part(s):

• HTC HD2 LCD Screen Display Replacement
  • HTC HD2 Glass Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • HTC HD2 Loud Speaker Replacement
  • HTC HD2 Ear Speaker Replacement
  • Other HD2 Replacement Parts

Tools Required:

• Safe Open Pry Tool
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • Pair of Tweezers (optional)

HTC HD2 Written Repair Guide:
  • First remove the battery cover and battery from the HD2.
  • Now you will need to remove four T-5 Torx screws from housing surrounding the battery. Apply pressure to the area of the battery and use a safe open pry tool to release the housing from the chassis.
  • Using your pry tool, slide it along the outside edges until the housing is removed from the chassis, as shown in Figure 1.
HD2-1.jpg

Figure 1​
  • Remove the 5 Torx Screws from the Chassis located in Figure 2. Remove the flash cable connector from the motherboard to the flash frame camera. Use a safe open pry tool to pop the black antenna cable from the motherboard and upper board.
HD2-2.jpg

Figure 2​
  • Then remove the keyboard flex cable connector from the motherboard. Do this by using a safe open pry tool to lift up on the alligator clip, and remove the ribbon. Remove the label located below the battery.
  • Pop the white cable from the GPS unit located in the left top corner and work your way to the motherboard. Remove the GPS board.
  • Now, release the volume flex from the housing. Use a safe pry tool to remove the adhesive holding the motherboard flex cable in place.
  • You can now flip the motherboard and flex to the side, exposing the LCD flex cable connector. Use a pry tool to move the clip forward and release the cable as shown in Figure 3.
HD2-3.jpg

Figure 3​
  • Use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the front of the digitizer, working in quick movements for 1-2 minutes.
  • Slide a safe open pry tool along the edges to remove the metal housing from the screen assembly as shown in Figure 4.
HD2-4.jpg

Figure 4​
  • Remove the buttons from the lower portion of the digitizer. Slide a pry tool in between the LCD screen and digitizer to separate the two.
  • You can now replace either the touch screen digitizer or the LCD screen
  • Now you will be able to replace any parts on your HTC HD2. Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.

J

jianC

Nice guide! In my opinion, this should be stickied..

I wish I had this guide when I first took apart my HD2 because it is clearer to me than the video

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
Note that you should also remove your sim card before disassembly. I could not get mine apart for ages until I realised this:eek:;)

anonymous0612

Dec 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
I had an hd2 but the screen is not responding. I want to know if this is a replacement problem or i just have to do something insidd of my hd2.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using xda app-developers app

quailstorm

Nov 10, 2012
Szeged
Hello guys!
My friend has an HTC HD2. The digitizer flax cable broke 6 months ago. And the phone is currently disassembled, and still turns on, but I failed to remove the digitizer from the LCD, so the glass has some cracks on the sides...
We are planning to revive that thing, but I'm afraid it would not last too long... So if I buy an LCD+digitizer (non telstra or T-mobile model) is it possible to protect the flex cable from the hungry power button? With what should I cover it? Duct tape? Originally some cloth was the protector, but it has been run-down...

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Hello guys!
My friend has an HTC HD2. The digitizer flax cable broke 6 months ago. And the phone is currently disassembled, and still turns on, but I failed to remove the digitizer from the LCD, so the glass has some cracks on the sides...
We are planning to revive that thing, but I'm afraid it would not last too long... So if I buy an LCD+digitizer (non telstra or T-mobile model) is it possible to protect the flex cable from the hungry power button? With what should I cover it? Duct tape? Originally some cloth was the protector, but it has been run-down...
When you order this part through us, the digitizer and lcd combo have a brand new flex cable that comes with it, and we include a free repair guide to help you out. we also have live chat support and more for our customers. please let me know if I answered your question.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have a damaged or cracked screen on your HTC HD2? Having problem with the display and other internal parts? This written repair guide will walk you through all the steps required to disassemble your HTC HD2 and repair a damaged screen or other internal parts in a safe, quick manner.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC HD2 part(s):

• HTC HD2 LCD Screen Display Replacement
    • HTC HD2 Glass Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • HTC HD2 Loud Speaker Replacement
    • HTC HD2 Ear Speaker Replacement
    • Other HD2 Replacement Parts

Tools Required:

• Safe Open Pry Tool
    • T5 Torx Screwdriver
    • Pair of Tweezers (optional)

HTC HD2 Written Repair Guide:
    • First remove the battery cover and battery from the HD2.
    • Now you will need to remove four T-5 Torx screws from housing surrounding the battery. Apply pressure to the area of the battery and use a safe open pry tool to release the housing from the chassis.
    • Using your pry tool, slide it along the outside edges until the housing is removed from the chassis, as shown in Figure 1.
    HD2-1.jpg

Figure 1​
    • Remove the 5 Torx Screws from the Chassis located in Figure 2. Remove the flash cable connector from the motherboard to the flash frame camera. Use a safe open pry tool to pop the black antenna cable from the motherboard and upper board.
    HD2-2.jpg

Figure 2​
    • Then remove the keyboard flex cable connector from the motherboard. Do this by using a safe open pry tool to lift up on the alligator clip, and remove the ribbon. Remove the label located below the battery.
    • Pop the white cable from the GPS unit located in the left top corner and work your way to the motherboard. Remove the GPS board.
    • Now, release the volume flex from the housing. Use a safe pry tool to remove the adhesive holding the motherboard flex cable in place.
    • You can now flip the motherboard and flex to the side, exposing the LCD flex cable connector. Use a pry tool to move the clip forward and release the cable as shown in Figure 3.
    HD2-3.jpg

Figure 3​
    • Use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the front of the digitizer, working in quick movements for 1-2 minutes.
    • Slide a safe open pry tool along the edges to remove the metal housing from the screen assembly as shown in Figure 4.
    HD2-4.jpg

Figure 4​
    • Remove the buttons from the lower portion of the digitizer. Slide a pry tool in between the LCD screen and digitizer to separate the two.
    • You can now replace either the touch screen digitizer or the LCD screen
    • Now you will be able to replace any parts on your HTC HD2. Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.
    No success...
    I need some homebrew technique. And I didn't expect a company to answer. You know, after 4 years, the original clothing is like dust... and I want more usage than 3 months...
    Then phone was 150 EURs the previous year, and it lasted only for 3 months. So pressing the button frequently kills the flex cable soon.
    And I made a coat for flex cables in slider phones. From pure tuct tape, and it works if there is enough place. Do you need any picture to understand what do I want?
    But if somebody did a succesful and long lasting protection, i would try it out. But I couldn't find one.
    if you use wp7 on hd2, you can remap the power and back button using new leo advanced xap
    If using android there are many softkey power button mods and apps
    You may never need to use those buttons again, and luckily hd2 has spare buttons;)
    Not an abrasion issue, problem is more likely due to digitizer constant flexing around the tail area. I have maintained 24 Company HD2's for almost 3yrs & even my personal device from new with minimal key usage had digitizer failure.
    2mm thick tape will be no good. For perfect job on one device you probably best getting the tape from eBay. I use a little (and I mean a little) pu40 silicone adhesive added in the groove between lcd & digi after first assembled with tape as holds much firmer & gives more oem feel & remains perfectly bonded like oem too. I also use a few small half rice grain spots down sides of lcd to chassis & near corners (make gaps in tape for the adhesive spots) works well & makes finish perfectly flush, secure & firm. Also easily stripped again by using razor to cut the adhesive & scrape it off.
    obviously dry run lcd/digi & button alignment before secure fixing & it worth making effort to test lcd/digi attached to mainboard with battery pressed on contacts for correct lcd & touch function before final rebuild ...
    Both jawbones are in good condition. And I broke the LCD when I tried to cut the digitizer off with a blade... So I have to buy it with LCD.

Every button works, but it's hard to align the case and the plastic button cover. And if I stick the phone with adhesive and make a mistake... I don't want to disassemble it again. But it's mine task to assemble the phone perfectly.

I have adhesive at home. It's about 2mm thick. Itt will be good to fix the LCD on the middleplate. Duct tape is for preventing another flex cable damage. I shown you images. I will do this with the new digitizer. So the power button won't start abrasion on the flex instantly.

Great. The 2mm adhesive is very good to use. Sorry about you breaking the LCD . It can be a pain sometimes even on the HD2. Which is a hard phone to repair for the first time.

A good way to help you align the buttons on the bottom before you do your adhesive is to put the adhesive on it but do not take off the sticker part ( talking about the white paper ) and then put the lcd and digitizer in the phone you can align the parts right and do a "dry run" on the phone before you do the adhesive.

Good luck on this phone. its a great phone when you can root / hack it and make it yours as you want it to be.

any more steps or help feel free to post and I will allways follow up .
    I would say your adhesive is too thick, it will result in screen not fitting flush with bezel edge of back cover.
    example of chassis/digi tapes below:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131049200791
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321114254523
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290992514596
    Broken antenna should be ok if soldered & positioned good.
    You sure the lcd cracked, most people actually crack the original digi glass which is behind the main toughened glass & then give in thus actually breaking lcd when think already ruined.
    You really need look at digi & LCD & you will see 3 layers as such, heat the digi with hot air so easier slice & part & reheat as needed until separated. LCD is quite hard to break unless really rough or pry it with screwdrivers.