(READ ME 1ST! Everything W8/X8!! Ask here!! UPDATED 3-5-13!

Search This thread

sgt. meow

Dec 21, 2011
Dhaka
QUESTIONS?? ASK HERE!!

Hi!! :D:D:D:D
This thread is made specifically for noobs and newbies owning X8 or W8.

X8 and W8 are pretty much the same device, i.e. ROMs and kernels are flashable on both.

We created this thread because other F.A.Q threads had stopped their updates. So it would mean a lot if we continue their work.

Firstly, I had to thank everybody that helped me to finish this project.
- Lucastan96 (The original owner)
- Chris95X8 (Helped a lot)
- DevStaff (Helped a lot)
- Rahat34 (Gave me some tips)
- Semdxd (Also helped me)
- -Swift- (Helped a lot)
- X8Invisible (Helped a lot)
- 8cpaiw (Youtube videos)
- sgt. meow (A shoutout to myself for taking over the thread!)
- c903jerk (Youtube videos)
-Everyone else who helped/help/will help.

-----------------------------------
There are 3 main sections in this thread:
Section I: F.A.Q
Section II: Easy Guides
Section III: External Links

Let's get started!!

Section I: Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions About Rooting

Q: What is rooting?
A: Rooting is a process allowing users of mobile phones, tablet PCs, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem. In simpler terms, what rooting does is push the su binary to your phone's system partition so that you have root access i.e. you can access system, data and all other partitions you couldn't access before.

Frequently Asked Questions About Bootloader

Q: What is bootloader?
A: In simple terms, a bootloader is the code that runs on a device before the operating system starts up. This low-level code contains the instructions that tell a device how to start up and find the system kernel. Every time your phone starts up, that bootloader code is telling your device what to do in order to get you to the home screen. As you can imagine, this process is vitally important. As such, manufacturers often use security measures to keep you from tampering with the bootloader.

Q: Why Is the Bootloader locked?
A: A bootloader is usually locked on an Android device because although it’s an open source OS, the manufacturers want you to stick to their Android OS version specifically designed for the device. In order to apply this concept, manufacturers lock the bootloader.
Think of it this way:
New kernel = New ROM = Unlocked bootloader.
Locked bootloader = No new kernel = No new ROM.

Q: What are the benefits of unlocking the bootloader?
A: Unlocking the bootloader will make your device able to load a custom kernel resluting in a 2x faster and better feature rich device. Also you can experience newer Android versions such as ICS and JB that require a custom kernel.

Q: Oh, I get that but what exactly is a kernel?
A: It basically is a piece of code that makes the hardware and the software communicate with each-other. It is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. It contains the essential init sequence in the ramdisk, without which you wouldn't be able to boot the phone.

Q: How do I unlock bootloader? Am I safe to unlock it?
A: Read Section II below!

Q: The date under the battery says 11w29 or later, what can I do?
A: There's currently no safe solution for you. Although there have been some members who had successfully unlocked their bootloader having 11w29 and a later date but it's extremely NOT recommended to try. For now you can only install a custom ROM. However some members have reported success with third party paid methods. You can try that but it's your decision and we can't help you if you brick the phone permanently.

Q: Will PC Companion lock the bootloader?
A: No, it won't. It will restore stock kernel and ROM but it will not relock the bootloader.

Frequently Asked Questions About Our Phone

Q: What is a recovery (xRecovery, ClockWorkMod Recovery)?
A: It is basically a console which you can access before the phone has booted up completely. It allows you to install packages such as Custom ROMs or custom mods, make a FULL backup of your curret system, wipe user data, cache and much more.

Q: Our phone supports swap if a custom kernel is installed! What is it?
A: Swapping means that you take a part of your free card's storage and use it as a virtual memory in order to have slightly better memory. Don't confuse it with RAM. Swap just holds pages which would otherwise have been held by RAM, thus saving more RAM for other apps.

Q: What does bricking the phone mean?
A: Bricking the phone means that something went wrong when you tried to flash (install) something or that simply you did something stupid because you didn't read enough and your phone ended up not booting up till the home screen or not showing any signs of life. So it has literally become a brick. There are two kinds of brick: The soft brick; your phone can easily be revived by using Sony PC Companion. Happens when incorrectly flashing a ROM or mod. The hard brick; your phone cannot be revived with PC Companion and you will have to send it off to Sony Ericsson for repair.

Q: Can I have multitouch if I install custom ROM?
A: If you have Synaptics digitizer you can use fake pinch-to-zoom by Doixanh.
If you have Cypress digitizer you can use real dual touch by AnDyX.

Q: How to know do I have Cypress or Synaptics digitizer?
A: The easy way is to check is to use the x8toolbox (modules>check digitizer) The other way is to open terminal emulator and type:
su
dmesg | grep cyttsp-i2c

If you have this"cyttsp_i2c_probe: Successful registration cyttsp-i2c" you have Cypress. If not, you have Synaptics.

Q: Is our device MDPI or HDPI?
A: Our device is MDPI which means 320x480 resolution (HVGA). HDPI are high-end devices with resolution 480x800 or more.
But our device can use HDPI themes after changing the LCD Density. This may result in some parts not working correctly, though.

Q: My battery is draining fast. What should I do?
A: Original words by the legendary Doixanh himself...
- Close as more apps as you can, and as frequently as you can. Background apps may use CPU, and that will consume battery
- Reboot after you finish using Wifi/3G. There are many background network services, like Maps, Market, Email, Facebook... They try to connect to their servers (and take some CPU usage) even after you disconnect from network. Reboot to make everything fresh.
- Reboot after listening to Music. Music service is running in background even after you stop the music and sometimes use CPU. Reboot to make everything fresh.
- Don't use live wallpapers. They're high CPU consumers.
- The less screen widgets, the better. Less widgets use less CPU, which will save battery.

Q: I have a little of ram free... is this bad?
A: Actually, this is not bad. It doesn't matter how much of RAM is available. The important thing is how much of CPU a specific app uses.
In Linux terminology (as CAD, pilu1978 and several others have stated)
Free RAM = Wasted RAM.

Q: Phone model differences??
A: X8 = E15i/E15a
W8 = E16i

Q: Will "Factory reset" unroot my phone? (from xRecovery and CWM)
A: No. Factory reset will erase all your user data and settings, wipe your cache and dalvik cache.
So, if you're doing Factory reset, you should back up your stuff.

Q: What's the difference between "Install update.zip" and "Install custom.zip in xRecovery and CWM?
A: update.zip just automatically flashes a ZIP file named "update.zip" on the root of the sd card while choosing "Install custom zip, you have to choose file by yourself.

Q: What is the usefulness of an ext3 partition on the SD memory for applications?
How to create a partition?

A: You can make a partition in your SD for example of 1gb EXT3 only for apps, you can make it with Minitool partition wizard home edition (its free).
In ext3 the apps are fully saved in the SD (.apk, dalvik cache and data) and you can liberate more space in the disk than app2sd.

Q: What is USB Debugging option in Settings for?
A: It is intended for development purposes only. Use it to transfer data between your device and the computer, install apps on your device without notification, and read log data. It is also required when you are flashing a kernel with flashtool.

Q: Can't mount SD card to PC. What should I do?
A: Configure swap to disable itself when you want to connect to your PC.

Q: Can't overclock to the desired frequency without having reboots, what's the problem?
A: The max frequency which your X8 can get is device-specific. It's not a general standard. Try with different ones till your phone can handle it. But never overclock beyond 806MHz - it may be harmful.

Q: Does iPhone headphones & earphones work on X8?
A: No, they don't work. The headphones & earphones have three bands. Our phone only support two bands. If you really want it, you need a adapter to use it.

Q: I'm stuck at Sony Ericsson bootlogo! What should I do?
A: You need to unbrick it from a soft brick. See this thread.

Frequently Asked Questions About ROMs & Kernels

Q: What is a custom ROM?
A: A stock ROM (Read Only Memory) is the version of the phone's operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it. A custom ROM is a fully stand alone version of the OS, including apps, services and everything you need to operate the device, except it's customized by someone in some way. So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow.

Q: Is it possible to boot two different OSes (operating systems) on our device?
A: No, our device can run only Android but you can haveLOOK HERE

Q: Why custom 2.2 ROMs have problems with Bluetooth headsets?
A: It's a bug in cm6 source, so if you need to use a Bluetooth headset, please use other Android versions.

Q: Is it possible to fully port Sense, Touchwiz, Windows or others to X8?
A: No. It's impossible... but their phones if you want..
And the widgets and apps need the appropriate framework to run... So you could use look-alike widgets, apps, and themes!
Try searching in Play Store and XDA.

Q: What is the best ROM or kernel?
A: NEVER ASK THAT QUESTION.
The system operates based on how you're using it. Every user has different needs, therefore different experience. Try multiple ROMs or kernels and decide YOURSELF!

Q: Can't find the Play Store app after flashing a new ROM?
A: You need to add your Google acount. Finish all the steps and it will appear. If not, flash Gapps from the ROM thread.

Q: I can't do ...... on this ROM, what's the problem?
A: Some ROMs are still under contruction and it would have bugs. That's normal. Wait till the developer fixes them and don't ask for ETAs.

Q: I have a custom ROM with stock kernel, but dualtouch isn't working at all. How to make it work?
A: If you're using a custom ROM like GingerDX, you need to install the addons for stock kernel.
OR
Maybe your phone has a cypress digitizer and almost all ROMs have synaptics enabled. Check x8toolbox and verify what digitizer your x8 has.

Frequently Asked Questions About Apps & Mods

Q: What is the smoothest and fastest launcher for our phone?
A: Hard to tell, but Launcher Pro and Zeam are fast. 360 Launcher is smooth too.

Q: Why ROMs above Android 2.1's camera is VGA limited?
A: Developers just modified Eclair's camera libs to work with Gingerbread ROMs.

Q: Where are apps from app2sd saved?
A: Into .android.secure folder on your SD card, which is hidden.
You can see that folder with Root Explorer or PC.

Q: Can we have a flash player on our X8?
A: Yes, it had been ported to work on our device!
- Flash Player 11 and 10.3

Q: What is terminal emulator?
A: It's an app which emulates Linux terminal. You can install it from market if you are on 2.1, in custom ROM it is already included.

Q: Which SYSTEM apps are safe to remove on stock ROM?
A: Timescape, Facebook, PlayNow, Maps, CA Gold, Crazy Penguin, Creatouch, GeoTags, RoadSync, RollerSync, Tower Bloxx NY, TrackID, Wisepilot, Navigator, User Support, User Guide, Email, Backup and Restore, Music R2R Client, Gmail.

Q: I get music player lags on custom ROMs. What should I do?
A: You can try to change SD card read cache back to avoid hickups.
You can download SD-Booster from Play Store and set a certain higher value.

Q: Volume is too low for me, how can I make it louder?
A: If you're using Gingerbead you can use DSPmanager to increase overall volume. You can also try other music player which has built-in EQ.You can try changing your MP3s volume using MP3 gain for Windows.You can also try Volume Boost program from Market.

Q: Reduced image quality in Gallery 3D?
A: Android Gallery (3D) reduces background gradients for faster viewing...
You can use QuickPic from Play Store if you want better image quality.
You can see some difference.

Q: Is Bravia Engine and Xloud fake?
A: Not completely. It does have some effects. But, some people claimed it as completely FAKE.

Q: How do I use Theme Chooser?
A: First, you need to install themes from XDA or Play Store. Make sure its compatible on MDPI screens (or use HDPI themes after changing LCD Density). Open Theme Chooser, choose any of your installed themes, and click Apply.

Q: I already overclocked, swapped my phone, but for some games it is still laggy. Is there any thing I can do to improve performance?
A: Yes, install Chainfire3D from Play Store. Inside you will find a lot of settings to improve gaming. For more info, see Section III below for link to "Tips & Tricks to Improve Phone Speed & Performance".

Q: Is it good to use any task killers?
A: No, look here for more info.

Q: Can I get stock launcher (X8/W8 Launcher) to work on ROMs above 2.1?
A: No, although with the exception of SEMC Debrand Engines ROMs. For other ROMs, you can use Xperia Active, Arc, or S Launchers.

END OF SECTION I

Last edited:

sgt. meow

Dec 21, 2011
Dhaka
Section II: Guides

Rooting Your Phone Easily

Make sure you are using Android 2.1 (update 1) and that your baseband ends with 015. If not, update with PC Companion. If your baseband is still not ending with 015, go to this thread at Flashtool point 3 and follow instructions.

Note: On your phone go to Settings > Applications > Development and tick USB Debugging.

XDA member puppet13th has made a very useful and easy to operate toolbox to help you. Go to this thread and download the toolbox. Follow the instructions to root and install dual-mode recovery on your device.

Unlocking The Bootloader

In order to push your phone beyond the limits, you must unlock the bootloader and install a custom kernel. But there is a disadvantage to people with phones that were manufactured during or after the 29th week of 2011 shipped with a revamped chipset configuration (which is having the security hole what the bootloader unlock uses) effectively closed. This means that upon unlocking the bootloader your phone will end up as a hard brick - and you will have NO means to revive the phone yourselves. You either have to send it off to Sony Ericsson for repair (recommended) or find a phone repair shop being able to resurrect shot devices!

To check whether you are safe, take off the back cover of your X8/W8, pull the battery and look at the sticker below (NOT THE STICKER OF THE BATTERY). Find the line that says 11wxx. If the date code on the sticker reads 11W29, or any later date (11W30, 11W31, 11W32, 11W33, ...), DO NOT attempt to unlock the bootloader.

But some people ignore this warning and attempted it. Most of them end up in a hard brick, but some of them were very very lucky to unlock it successfully. You can try only when you are ready to take some cash out from your wallet (or purses).

You are also advised to be on stock ROM.

Look at these guides to unlock:
HERE or HERE

NEW!!
This is now by far the easiest way to unlock your bootloaders!! And for phones with 11w29 and above, you have a greater chance of success!!! :D
Try it now!! ---HERE

Installing A Custom ROM & Kernel

Note: Not every ROM works with every kernel. Be careful with that. Read the ROM for kernel requirements.

1. Be sure to backup all your current data such as apps, contacts, messages etc before installing a custom ROM.
2. Transfer all the zip files needed to make the ROM work and the ROM itself on your SD card. We do this now because stock ROM won't boot up with a custom kernel.
3. Choose your kernel, download it and put the .ftf file in the "Firmwares" folder of Flashtool.
4. Open Flashtool.
5. Press the flash button. Make sure "flash mode" is selected and press OK.
6. Select the kernel you want to install and press OK.
7. Shut down your phone While holding the back button. Insert the USB cable.
8. Wait till the process has finished and remove the USB cable.
9. Boot up your phone and as soon as the kernel logo appears, start pressing the back button continuously multiple times till you get to CWM recovery. Now its time to flash the ROM.
10. Follow the instructions on the ROM's thread on how to install it.
11. Enjoy!

Note:
If you are not able to flash a kernel after you unlock your bootloader, it might be because of this following reasons~
1) Drivers are not installed. Make sure you installed the X8 drivers and Flashmode drivers from Flashtool/drivers folder.
2) Kernel size is too large. Only some phones will experience this, that they are unable to handle the installation.
3) Your USB port should be resetted.
A- Change to a tighter USB port.
B- Reset your USB in Gordon's Gate program menu. Go to Start/ All Programs/ Sony Ericsson/ Gordon's Gate/ Reset USB
C- Reboot your PC.
4) Kernel may be corrupted or interrupted while downlading.Redownload the kernel from appropriate (official, not mirror) kernel link.

Simple Guide On Modules

Note: If you're using a custom kernel, you don't need these modules anymore!

- Overclock
Make your CPU frequency and speed higher.

- Undervolt
It saves the battery, decrease the heat of the CPU, and make your phone more stable.

- Gesture Pinch Zoom
It is the fake multitouch modules for Synaptics Digitizer.

- X8 MDDI Fix
It increases your phone's smoothness by eliminating the lag that happens every 5-7 seconds in custom ROMs.

- X8Kconfig
It not for daily use, it's for developers to extract kernel config from our running kernel 2.6.29 in X8.

- Dual Touch For Cypress Touchpad
It's the real multitouch if you have a Cypress Digitizer.

-X8 Netfilter
- We can have native USB/wifi tether on our phone. And also:
1. Firewall apps
2. Transparent proxies
3. NAT

Backing Up Your Things

To Backup Contacts:
- Export them to SD card in "Contacts" app.
OR
- Sync them with Google Account.

To Backup Messages:
- Use "SMS Backup and Restore" app from the Play Store.

To Backup Apps:
- Use "Titanium Backup".

To Backup Settings:
- Do a nandroid backup in CWM.

To Backup Everything:
- Do a nandroid backup in CWM, just make sure no apps are being stored in SD card.

App Replacements For The Better Guide

- Android Default File Manager »
Root Explorer/ ASTRO File Manager/ ES File Manager (Much more features including mounting & editing system files)

- Android Default Music Player »
PlayerPro/ PowerAMP (More features & less battery and RAM consuming)
OR
Google Play Music (Beautiful UI)

- Android Default Gallery » Quickpic (More features & much better picture quality viewing)

- Android Default Camera »
Camera ZOOM FX (More features including zoom & better quality pictures)
OR
Camera ICS (Nice UI & Sweep Panorama too!)

- Android Default Launcher »
LauncherPro/ Zeam Launcher (Speed & less RAM)
OR
360 Launcher (Buttery smooth)

- Android Default Dialer » exDialer (Nice MIUI UI, very light & changeable theme)

- Android Default Browser » Dolphin Browser HD (Very fast, smooth & nice UI)

- Android Default Keyboard » Sony's Default Keyboard (No doubt the best)

Guides For Running Some Different OSes

:: How do I run Linux Debian??
- How To Run Linux Debian

:: How do I run Windows 95??
- How To Run Windows 95

:: How do I run QBasic??
- How To Run QBasic

Understanding Stock Firmware Before Flashing

E15a phone:
"i" firmware in an "i" zone = No 3G.
"i" firmware in an "a" zone = 3G.
"a" firmware in an "i" zone = No 3G.
"a" firmware in an "a" zone = 3G.

E15i phone:
"i" firmware in an "i" zone = 3G.
"i" firmware in an "a" zone = No 3G.
"a" firmware in an "i" zone = 3G.
"a" firmware in an "a" zone = No 3G.

Mini List Of Acronyms Found In Our Forum

DEV- ROM under development, so it may be unstable
ETA- Estimated time of arrival, keep in mind do not ask it in the development forum, or you may earn yourself a movie ticket or a 1 month vacation (Infractions or banning)
FM- Forum moderator
OP- Operator of the current thread you are in
PM- Private messaging
RC- Recognized Contributor
RD- Recognized Developer
SM- Senior moderator

END OF SECTION II

Last edited by a moderator:

sgt. meow

Dec 21, 2011
Dhaka
Section III: External Links To MORE!

Wannabe Developers & Themers' Guides

:: Developing a ROM?
- How To Build A ROM?

:: Patching a MIUI ROM?
- Patch ROM - MIUI 2.3 & 4.0 Porting

:: Porting LewaOS?
- How To Port LewaOS To Your Device | 2 Minutes NOOB Guide

: Porting AOSP ICS?
- How To Port AOSP ICS ROMs To Your Device

:: Cooking a kernel?
- Kernel Kitchen
- Building guide
- Ramdisk guide

:: Developing MiniCM?
- MiniCM Development Central

:: Using Github?
- How To Use Github?

:: Set Up & Dual-Boot A Linux-Based Distro?
- Setting Up and Dual-Booting A Linux-Based Distro Alongside Windows

:: Set Up AROMA?
- How To Set Up AROMA Installer For CWM

:: Using ADB & Generating Logcat?
- How To -ADB- Logcat & Basics

:: Interested In Theming?
- Want To Learn How To Theme?

:: Make A Clock Widget?
- Make Your Own Analog Clock

More Guides & Helpful Threads

:: What games would work on our phone?
- Huge List Of Compatible Games For X8/W8

:: What launchers are available for our phone?
- List Of Launchers For X8/W8

:: Is there anyway to navigate around this forum without using the SEARCH button so much?
- All ROMs, Kernels, Modules, Basebands, Recoveries, Tools, Mods For X8/W8

:: How do I improve my phone performance?
- Tips & Tricks To Improve Phone Speed & Performance

:: What exactly are all the CPU governors for?
- Simple Guide On CPU Governors For X8/W8

:: How do I use supercharger on my phone?
- V6 Supercharger And ICS OOM Priority Changer

:: Is there more info on bootloader unlocking?
- Hard Brick Warning - Read Before Bootloader Unlock

:: How do I unbrick my phone?
- How To Rescue Our Bricked Phone

:: Is there any way to speed up my Wifi?
- Faster Wifi - N Standard Enabling

:: How do I apply swap on my phone?
- How To Swap?

:: How do I create an FTF file of my country's stock firmware?
- How To Make Your Regional Firmware An .FTF File

:: How do I customize my ROM?
- Ultimate X8/W8 Customization Guide

:: What are the commands in Terminal?
- Terminal Emulator Commands

:: How do I crack/reset my phone's pattern/PIN/password lock?
- How To Crack Android Lock

:: How to I increase my phone internal memory?
- How To Increase Your Internal Storage Up To 1GB+?

Youtube Videos

8cpaiw's ROM Reviews' Videos (Known As Xperianace In Youtube)

Including:
Xperience SEMC Debrand Engine, JoyOS, MIUI Pikachu Edition, Shin Engine, PetrukDroid, and MiniCM9.

Channel HERE

Video On How To Install Recovery, Unlock Bootloader, Flash A Custom Kernel And ROM by c903jerk

Video HERE
Channel (More Vids) HERE

There are tons of other relevant threads, but it isn't possible for me to link each one. So just use SEARCH!

END OF SECTION III

Last edited:

sgt. meow

Dec 21, 2011
Dhaka
Section Important: Notice & Some Words

(MUST!) Improve your relationship with us X8/W8 members and know the history here!!

- New member? Introduce yourself!
- How did you get your phone? Share!
- Have an interesting tale of what happened to your phone? Share!
- See how much you know about users here! Tell us what you know!
- Got to say sorries or thanks to someone! Say it here!
- If you are a newbie, I am sure you want to know all the BIG things that ever happened here!
- Or, are you leaving? Bid us farewell before you go!
- What are the custom ROMs you used before??
- Want to get off-topic without ending in a warzone?? Start here!
- Who's Your Best Buddies In XDA??
- What are your fav songs of the moment? Tell us!!
- How much have you customized your ROM??
- XDA Guide

My Words

- (Although things are better now, but I wont erase what I typed) Honestly, I think I am stuck in a middle of a virtual warzone here in X8 XDA Forum. There are an army of trolls who rise up from nowhere to bug us recently. Please, if you are one of the trolls, please stop your foolish acts before it's too late. Do not ask for ETAs! Do not complain about customized ROMs!

Future Plans

- Add more F.A.Qs
- Add more guides
Please suggest or help!!

Notice

1. There's simply too much to write on this thread. So, if you feel like I am missing something important, please tell me what might I add.
2. Please do not SPAM!
3. Kindly suscribe to this thread for future reference.
4. If this thread helped you, hit the THANKS button for me...

END OF THREAD (FOR NOW)

Last edited:

stamatis

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
stamatis∈A, A=∅
"Q: How to know do I have Cypress or Synaptics digitizer?
A: ??"

A:the easy way is to check with the x8toolbox(modules>check digitizer)
the other way is to open terminal emulator..
su
dmesg | grep cyttsp-i2c

-if you have this"cyttsp_i2c_probe: Successful registration cyttsp-i2c" you have cypress if not you have synaptics

btw this thread is treasure i wish when i started there were a thread like this...!!!!!

Last edited:

lucastan96

Dec 9, 2011
Malacca

su
dmesg | grep cyttsp-i2c

-if you have this"cyttsp_i2c_probe: Successful registration cyttsp-i2c" you have cypress if not you have synaptics

Haha. Sorry, I was about to write it yesterday but I am sleepy so I just write ??

Anyway thanks.. adding it now..

Sent From My W8 Using XDA Premium

Reactions: ashik992 and 8cpaiw

Vicky26

Feb 22, 2012
.......................................................................................
Fast Way to Unlock Bootloader

In order to push your phone beyond the limits, you must unlock the bootloader and install a custom kernel. But there is a disadvantage to people with phones that were manufactured during and after the 29th week of 2011 shipped with a revamped chipset configuration (having the security hole which the bootloader unlock uses) effectively closed. This means that upon unlocking the bootloader your phone will end up as a hard brick - and you will have NO means to revive the phone yourselves. You either have to send it off to Sony Ericsson for repair (recommended) or find a phone repair shop being able to resurrect shot devices!

To check this, take off the back cover of your X8/W8, pull the battery and look at the sticker below (NOT THE STICKER OF THE BATTERY). Find the line that says 11wxx. If the date code on the sticker reads 11W29, or any later date (11W30, 11W31, 11W32, 11W33, ...), DO NOT attempt to unlock the bootloader.

1. Make sure your phone is rooted.
2. Plug in the USB cable and then press the plugins button.
3. From the plugins menu select unlock bootloader.
4.Then just follow the easy instructions provided from the software.
5. Done!

Um...sorry but..wouldn't it be better if you posted the traditional way with s1tool?Since many new users may use this guide, wouldn't it be more easy for them?

(just a suggestion...)

Reactions: roniandria

Vicky26

Feb 22, 2012
I used the s1tool one to unlock mine it was a piece of cake (I took the time to read carefully all the instructions and warnings :D ) and I had no problems ;)

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Q: I can't connect to WPA2 secured networks. What should I do?
A: Yeah, some ROMs, do have problems with WPA2 secured and only thing you can do is wait for fix or try to update your router firmware
I actually have a fix for this.
Hang on, let me get the link.

EDIT:
Read my posts here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1503888
Also, do you think I should make a thread for the fix? I've been considering it for a while.

Thanks,
S.

Last edited:

bxmx666

Sep 27, 2011
daraa
Wow we might never hear a noob q after this thanks dude

Sent from my E15i using xda premium

lucastan96

Dec 9, 2011
Malacca

lucastan96

Dec 9, 2011
Malacca
Updated F.A.Q & Guide (10/4/12)

- Added Backing Up guide.
- Added some Q&As.

Hit The THANKS Button If I Helped!

Sent From My W8 Using XDA Premium

lucastan96

Dec 9, 2011
Malacca
Updated F.A.Q & Guides (11/4/12)

- Added Section III! (Tell me what's missing, guys!)
- Added future plans section! (See Section Important)

Sent From My W8 Using Tapatalk

lucastan96

Dec 9, 2011
Malacca
Second Update (11/4/12)

- Got some more time, so I added a new guide: Apps Replacement For The Better.

Sent From My W8 Using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    QUESTIONS?? ASK HERE!!

Hi!! :D:D:D:D
    This thread is made specifically for noobs and newbies owning X8 or W8.

X8 and W8 are pretty much the same device, i.e. ROMs and kernels are flashable on both.

We created this thread because other F.A.Q threads had stopped their updates. So it would mean a lot if we continue their work.

Firstly, I had to thank everybody that helped me to finish this project.
    - Lucastan96 (The original owner)
    - Chris95X8 (Helped a lot)
    - DevStaff (Helped a lot)
    - Rahat34 (Gave me some tips)
    - Semdxd (Also helped me)
    - -Swift- (Helped a lot)
    - X8Invisible (Helped a lot)
    - 8cpaiw (Youtube videos)
    - sgt. meow (A shoutout to myself for taking over the thread!)
    - c903jerk (Youtube videos)
    -Everyone else who helped/help/will help.

There are 3 main sections in this thread:
    Section I: F.A.Q
    Section II: Easy Guides
    Section III: External Links

Let's get started!!

Section I: Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions About Rooting

Q: What is rooting?
    A: Rooting is a process allowing users of mobile phones, tablet PCs, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem. In simpler terms, what rooting does is push the su binary to your phone's system partition so that you have root access i.e. you can access system, data and all other partitions you couldn't access before.

Frequently Asked Questions About Bootloader

Q: What is bootloader?
    A: In simple terms, a bootloader is the code that runs on a device before the operating system starts up. This low-level code contains the instructions that tell a device how to start up and find the system kernel. Every time your phone starts up, that bootloader code is telling your device what to do in order to get you to the home screen. As you can imagine, this process is vitally important. As such, manufacturers often use security measures to keep you from tampering with the bootloader.

Q: Why Is the Bootloader locked?
    A: A bootloader is usually locked on an Android device because although it’s an open source OS, the manufacturers want you to stick to their Android OS version specifically designed for the device. In order to apply this concept, manufacturers lock the bootloader.
    Think of it this way:
    New kernel = New ROM = Unlocked bootloader.
    Locked bootloader = No new kernel = No new ROM.

Q: What are the benefits of unlocking the bootloader?
    A: Unlocking the bootloader will make your device able to load a custom kernel resluting in a 2x faster and better feature rich device. Also you can experience newer Android versions such as ICS and JB that require a custom kernel.

Q: Oh, I get that but what exactly is a kernel?
    A: It basically is a piece of code that makes the hardware and the software communicate with each-other. It is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. It contains the essential init sequence in the ramdisk, without which you wouldn't be able to boot the phone.

Q: How do I unlock bootloader? Am I safe to unlock it?
    A: Read Section II below!

Q: The date under the battery says 11w29 or later, what can I do?
    A: There's currently no safe solution for you. Although there have been some members who had successfully unlocked their bootloader having 11w29 and a later date but it's extremely NOT recommended to try. For now you can only install a custom ROM. However some members have reported success with third party paid methods. You can try that but it's your decision and we can't help you if you brick the phone permanently.

Q: Will PC Companion lock the bootloader?
    A: No, it won't. It will restore stock kernel and ROM but it will not relock the bootloader.

Frequently Asked Questions About Our Phone

Q: What is a recovery (xRecovery, ClockWorkMod Recovery)?
    A: It is basically a console which you can access before the phone has booted up completely. It allows you to install packages such as Custom ROMs or custom mods, make a FULL backup of your curret system, wipe user data, cache and much more.

Q: Our phone supports swap if a custom kernel is installed! What is it?
    A: Swapping means that you take a part of your free card's storage and use it as a virtual memory in order to have slightly better memory. Don't confuse it with RAM. Swap just holds pages which would otherwise have been held by RAM, thus saving more RAM for other apps.

Q: What does bricking the phone mean?
    A: Bricking the phone means that something went wrong when you tried to flash (install) something or that simply you did something stupid because you didn't read enough and your phone ended up not booting up till the home screen or not showing any signs of life. So it has literally become a brick. There are two kinds of brick: The soft brick; your phone can easily be revived by using Sony PC Companion. Happens when incorrectly flashing a ROM or mod. The hard brick; your phone cannot be revived with PC Companion and you will have to send it off to Sony Ericsson for repair.

Q: Can I have multitouch if I install custom ROM?
    A: If you have Synaptics digitizer you can use fake pinch-to-zoom by Doixanh.
    If you have Cypress digitizer you can use real dual touch by AnDyX.

Q: How to know do I have Cypress or Synaptics digitizer?
    A: The easy way is to check is to use the x8toolbox (modules>check digitizer) The other way is to open terminal emulator and type:
    su
    dmesg | grep cyttsp-i2c

If you have this"cyttsp_i2c_probe: Successful registration cyttsp-i2c" you have Cypress. If not, you have Synaptics.

Q: Is our device MDPI or HDPI?
    A: Our device is MDPI which means 320x480 resolution (HVGA). HDPI are high-end devices with resolution 480x800 or more.
    But our device can use HDPI themes after changing the LCD Density. This may result in some parts not working correctly, though.

Q: My battery is draining fast. What should I do?
    A: Original words by the legendary Doixanh himself...
    - Close as more apps as you can, and as frequently as you can. Background apps may use CPU, and that will consume battery
    - Reboot after you finish using Wifi/3G. There are many background network services, like Maps, Market, Email, Facebook... They try to connect to their servers (and take some CPU usage) even after you disconnect from network. Reboot to make everything fresh.
    - Reboot after listening to Music. Music service is running in background even after you stop the music and sometimes use CPU. Reboot to make everything fresh.
    - Don't use live wallpapers. They're high CPU consumers.
    - The less screen widgets, the better. Less widgets use less CPU, which will save battery.

Q: I have a little of ram free... is this bad?
    A: Actually, this is not bad. It doesn't matter how much of RAM is available. The important thing is how much of CPU a specific app uses.
    In Linux terminology (as CAD, pilu1978 and several others have stated)
    Free RAM = Wasted RAM.

Q: Phone model differences??
    A: X8 = E15i/E15a
    W8 = E16i

Q: Will "Factory reset" unroot my phone? (from xRecovery and CWM)
    A: No. Factory reset will erase all your user data and settings, wipe your cache and dalvik cache.
    So, if you're doing Factory reset, you should back up your stuff.

Q: What's the difference between "Install update.zip" and "Install custom.zip in xRecovery and CWM?
    A: update.zip just automatically flashes a ZIP file named "update.zip" on the root of the sd card while choosing "Install custom zip, you have to choose file by yourself.

Q: What is the usefulness of an ext3 partition on the SD memory for applications?
    How to create a partition?

A: You can make a partition in your SD for example of 1gb EXT3 only for apps, you can make it with Minitool partition wizard home edition (its free).
    In ext3 the apps are fully saved in the SD (.apk, dalvik cache and data) and you can liberate more space in the disk than app2sd.

Q: What is USB Debugging option in Settings for?
    A: It is intended for development purposes only. Use it to transfer data between your device and the computer, install apps on your device without notification, and read log data. It is also required when you are flashing a kernel with flashtool.

Q: Can't mount SD card to PC. What should I do?
    A: Configure swap to disable itself when you want to connect to your PC.

Q: Can't overclock to the desired frequency without having reboots, what's the problem?
    A: The max frequency which your X8 can get is device-specific. It's not a general standard. Try with different ones till your phone can handle it. But never overclock beyond 806MHz - it may be harmful.

Q: Does iPhone headphones & earphones work on X8?
    A: No, they don't work. The headphones & earphones have three bands. Our phone only support two bands. If you really want it, you need a adapter to use it.

Q: I'm stuck at Sony Ericsson bootlogo! What should I do?
    A: You need to unbrick it from a soft brick. See this thread.

Frequently Asked Questions About ROMs & Kernels

Q: What is a custom ROM?
    A: A stock ROM (Read Only Memory) is the version of the phone's operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it. A custom ROM is a fully stand alone version of the OS, including apps, services and everything you need to operate the device, except it's customized by someone in some way. So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow.

Q: Is it possible to boot two different OSes (operating systems) on our device?
    A: No, our device can run only Android but you can haveLOOK HERE

Q: Why custom 2.2 ROMs have problems with Bluetooth headsets?
    A: It's a bug in cm6 source, so if you need to use a Bluetooth headset, please use other Android versions.

Q: Is it possible to fully port Sense, Touchwiz, Windows or others to X8?
    A: No. It's impossible... but their phones if you want..
    And the widgets and apps need the appropriate framework to run... So you could use look-alike widgets, apps, and themes!
    Try searching in Play Store and XDA.

Q: What is the best ROM or kernel?
    A: NEVER ASK THAT QUESTION.
    The system operates based on how you're using it. Every user has different needs, therefore different experience. Try multiple ROMs or kernels and decide YOURSELF!

Q: Can't find the Play Store app after flashing a new ROM?
    A: You need to add your Google acount. Finish all the steps and it will appear. If not, flash Gapps from the ROM thread.

Q: I can't do ...... on this ROM, what's the problem?
    A: Some ROMs are still under contruction and it would have bugs. That's normal. Wait till the developer fixes them and don't ask for ETAs.

Q: I have a custom ROM with stock kernel, but dualtouch isn't working at all. How to make it work?
    A: If you're using a custom ROM like GingerDX, you need to install the addons for stock kernel.
    OR
    Maybe your phone has a cypress digitizer and almost all ROMs have synaptics enabled. Check x8toolbox and verify what digitizer your x8 has.

Frequently Asked Questions About Apps & Mods

Q: What is the smoothest and fastest launcher for our phone?
    A: Hard to tell, but Launcher Pro and Zeam are fast. 360 Launcher is smooth too.

Q: Why ROMs above Android 2.1's camera is VGA limited?
    A: Developers just modified Eclair's camera libs to work with Gingerbread ROMs.

Q: Where are apps from app2sd saved?
    A: Into .android.secure folder on your SD card, which is hidden.
    You can see that folder with Root Explorer or PC.

Q: Can we have a flash player on our X8?
    A: Yes, it had been ported to work on our device!
    - Flash Player 11 and 10.3

Q: What is terminal emulator?
    A: It's an app which emulates Linux terminal. You can install it from market if you are on 2.1, in custom ROM it is already included.

Q: Which SYSTEM apps are safe to remove on stock ROM?
    A: Timescape, Facebook, PlayNow, Maps, CA Gold, Crazy Penguin, Creatouch, GeoTags, RoadSync, RollerSync, Tower Bloxx NY, TrackID, Wisepilot, Navigator, User Support, User Guide, Email, Backup and Restore, Music R2R Client, Gmail.

Q: I get music player lags on custom ROMs. What should I do?
    A: You can try to change SD card read cache back to avoid hickups.
    You can download SD-Booster from Play Store and set a certain higher value.

Q: Volume is too low for me, how can I make it louder?
    A: If you're using Gingerbead you can use DSPmanager to increase overall volume. You can also try other music player which has built-in EQ.You can try changing your MP3s volume using MP3 gain for Windows.You can also try Volume Boost program from Market.

Q: Reduced image quality in Gallery 3D?
    A: Android Gallery (3D) reduces background gradients for faster viewing...
    You can use QuickPic from Play Store if you want better image quality.
    You can see some difference.

Q: Is Bravia Engine and Xloud fake?
    A: Not completely. It does have some effects. But, some people claimed it as completely FAKE.

Q: How do I use Theme Chooser?
    A: First, you need to install themes from XDA or Play Store. Make sure its compatible on MDPI screens (or use HDPI themes after changing LCD Density). Open Theme Chooser, choose any of your installed themes, and click Apply.

Q: I already overclocked, swapped my phone, but for some games it is still laggy. Is there any thing I can do to improve performance?
    A: Yes, install Chainfire3D from Play Store. Inside you will find a lot of settings to improve gaming. For more info, see Section III below for link to "Tips & Tricks to Improve Phone Speed & Performance".

Q: Is it good to use any task killers?
    A: No, look here for more info.

Q: Can I get stock launcher (X8/W8 Launcher) to work on ROMs above 2.1?
    A: No, although with the exception of SEMC Debrand Engines ROMs. For other ROMs, you can use Xperia Active, Arc, or S Launchers.

END OF SECTION I
    Section II: Guides

Rooting Your Phone Easily

Make sure you are using Android 2.1 (update 1) and that your baseband ends with 015. If not, update with PC Companion. If your baseband is still not ending with 015, go to this thread at Flashtool point 3 and follow instructions.

Note: On your phone go to Settings > Applications > Development and tick USB Debugging.

XDA member puppet13th has made a very useful and easy to operate toolbox to help you. Go to this thread and download the toolbox. Follow the instructions to root and install dual-mode recovery on your device.

Unlocking The Bootloader

In order to push your phone beyond the limits, you must unlock the bootloader and install a custom kernel. But there is a disadvantage to people with phones that were manufactured during or after the 29th week of 2011 shipped with a revamped chipset configuration (which is having the security hole what the bootloader unlock uses) effectively closed. This means that upon unlocking the bootloader your phone will end up as a hard brick - and you will have NO means to revive the phone yourselves. You either have to send it off to Sony Ericsson for repair (recommended) or find a phone repair shop being able to resurrect shot devices!

To check whether you are safe, take off the back cover of your X8/W8, pull the battery and look at the sticker below (NOT THE STICKER OF THE BATTERY). Find the line that says 11wxx. If the date code on the sticker reads 11W29, or any later date (11W30, 11W31, 11W32, 11W33, ...), DO NOT attempt to unlock the bootloader.

But some people ignore this warning and attempted it. Most of them end up in a hard brick, but some of them were very very lucky to unlock it successfully. You can try only when you are ready to take some cash out from your wallet (or purses).

Look at these guides to unlock:
    HERE or HERE

NEW!!
    This is now by far the easiest way to unlock your bootloaders!! And for phones with 11w29 and above, you have a greater chance of success!!! :D
    Try it now!! ---HERE

Installing A Custom ROM & Kernel

Note: Not every ROM works with every kernel. Be careful with that. Read the ROM for kernel requirements.

1. Be sure to backup all your current data such as apps, contacts, messages etc before installing a custom ROM.
    2. Transfer all the zip files needed to make the ROM work and the ROM itself on your SD card. We do this now because stock ROM won't boot up with a custom kernel.
    3. Choose your kernel, download it and put the .ftf file in the "Firmwares" folder of Flashtool.
    4. Open Flashtool.
    5. Press the flash button. Make sure "flash mode" is selected and press OK.
    6. Select the kernel you want to install and press OK.
    7. Shut down your phone While holding the back button. Insert the USB cable.
    8. Wait till the process has finished and remove the USB cable.
    9. Boot up your phone and as soon as the kernel logo appears, start pressing the back button continuously multiple times till you get to CWM recovery. Now its time to flash the ROM.
    10. Follow the instructions on the ROM's thread on how to install it.
    11. Enjoy!

Note:
    If you are not able to flash a kernel after you unlock your bootloader, it might be because of this following reasons~
    1) Drivers are not installed. Make sure you installed the X8 drivers and Flashmode drivers from Flashtool/drivers folder.
    2) Kernel size is too large. Only some phones will experience this, that they are unable to handle the installation.
    3) Your USB port should be resetted.
    A- Change to a tighter USB port.
    B- Reset your USB in Gordon's Gate program menu. Go to Start/ All Programs/ Sony Ericsson/ Gordon's Gate/ Reset USB
    C- Reboot your PC.
    4) Kernel may be corrupted or interrupted while downlading.Redownload the kernel from appropriate (official, not mirror) kernel link.

Simple Guide On Modules

Note: If you're using a custom kernel, you don't need these modules anymore!

- Overclock
    Make your CPU frequency and speed higher.

- Undervolt
    It saves the battery, decrease the heat of the CPU, and make your phone more stable.

- Gesture Pinch Zoom
    It is the fake multitouch modules for Synaptics Digitizer.

- X8 MDDI Fix
    It increases your phone's smoothness by eliminating the lag that happens every 5-7 seconds in custom ROMs.

- X8Kconfig
    It not for daily use, it's for developers to extract kernel config from our running kernel 2.6.29 in X8.

- Dual Touch For Cypress Touchpad
    It's the real multitouch if you have a Cypress Digitizer.

-X8 Netfilter
    - We can have native USB/wifi tether on our phone. And also:
    1. Firewall apps
    2. Transparent proxies
    3. NAT

Backing Up Your Things

To Backup Contacts:
    - Export them to SD card in "Contacts" app.
    OR
    - Sync them with Google Account.

To Backup Messages:
    - Use "SMS Backup and Restore" app from the Play Store.

To Backup Apps:
    - Use "Titanium Backup".

To Backup Settings:
    - Do a nandroid backup in CWM.

To Backup Everything:
    - Do a nandroid backup in CWM, just make sure no apps are being stored in SD card.

App Replacements For The Better Guide

- Android Default File Manager »
    Root Explorer/ ASTRO File Manager/ ES File Manager (Much more features including mounting & editing system files)

- Android Default Music Player »
    PlayerPro/ PowerAMP (More features & less battery and RAM consuming)
    OR
    Google Play Music (Beautiful UI)

- Android Default Gallery » Quickpic (More features & much better picture quality viewing)

- Android Default Camera »
    Camera ZOOM FX (More features including zoom & better quality pictures)
    OR
    Camera ICS (Nice UI & Sweep Panorama too!)

- Android Default Launcher »
    LauncherPro/ Zeam Launcher (Speed & less RAM)
    OR
    360 Launcher (Buttery smooth)

- Android Default Dialer » exDialer (Nice MIUI UI, very light & changeable theme)

- Android Default Browser » Dolphin Browser HD (Very fast, smooth & nice UI)

- Android Default Keyboard » Sony's Default Keyboard (No doubt the best)

Guides For Running Some Different OSes

:: How do I run Linux Debian??
    - How To Run Linux Debian

:: How do I run Windows 95??
    - How To Run Windows 95

:: How do I run QBasic??
    - How To Run QBasic

Understanding Stock Firmware Before Flashing

E15a phone:
    "i" firmware in an "i" zone = No 3G.
    "i" firmware in an "a" zone = 3G.
    "a" firmware in an "i" zone = No 3G.
    "a" firmware in an "a" zone = 3G.

E15i phone:
    "i" firmware in an "i" zone = 3G.
    "i" firmware in an "a" zone = No 3G.
    "a" firmware in an "i" zone = 3G.
    "a" firmware in an "a" zone = No 3G.

Mini List Of Acronyms Found In Our Forum

DEV- ROM under development, so it may be unstable
    ETA- Estimated time of arrival, keep in mind do not ask it in the development forum, or you may earn yourself a movie ticket or a 1 month vacation (Infractions or banning)
    FM- Forum moderator
    OP- Operator of the current thread you are in
    PM- Private messaging
    RC- Recognized Contributor
    RD- Recognized Developer
    SM- Senior moderator

END OF SECTION II
    Section III: External Links To MORE!

Wannabe Developers & Themers' Guides

:: Developing a ROM?
    - How To Build A ROM?

:: Patching a MIUI ROM?
    - Patch ROM - MIUI 2.3 & 4.0 Porting

:: Porting LewaOS?
    - How To Port LewaOS To Your Device | 2 Minutes NOOB Guide

: Porting AOSP ICS?
    - How To Port AOSP ICS ROMs To Your Device

:: Cooking a kernel?
    - Kernel Kitchen
    - Building guide
    - Ramdisk guide

:: Developing MiniCM?
    - MiniCM Development Central

:: Using Github?
    - How To Use Github?

:: Set Up & Dual-Boot A Linux-Based Distro?
    - Setting Up and Dual-Booting A Linux-Based Distro Alongside Windows

:: Set Up AROMA?
    - How To Set Up AROMA Installer For CWM

:: Using ADB & Generating Logcat?
    - How To -ADB- Logcat & Basics

:: Interested In Theming?
    - Want To Learn How To Theme?

:: Make A Clock Widget?
    - Make Your Own Analog Clock

More Guides & Helpful Threads

:: What games would work on our phone?
    - Huge List Of Compatible Games For X8/W8

:: What launchers are available for our phone?
    - List Of Launchers For X8/W8

:: Is there anyway to navigate around this forum without using the SEARCH button so much?
    - All ROMs, Kernels, Modules, Basebands, Recoveries, Tools, Mods For X8/W8

:: How do I improve my phone performance?
    - Tips & Tricks To Improve Phone Speed & Performance

:: What exactly are all the CPU governors for?
    - Simple Guide On CPU Governors For X8/W8

:: How do I use supercharger on my phone?
    - V6 Supercharger And ICS OOM Priority Changer

:: Is there more info on bootloader unlocking?
    - Hard Brick Warning - Read Before Bootloader Unlock

:: How do I unbrick my phone?
    - How To Rescue Our Bricked Phone

:: Is there any way to speed up my Wifi?
    - Faster Wifi - N Standard Enabling

:: How do I apply swap on my phone?
    - How To Swap?

:: How do I create an FTF file of my country's stock firmware?
    - How To Make Your Regional Firmware An .FTF File

:: How do I customize my ROM?
    - Ultimate X8/W8 Customization Guide

:: What are the commands in Terminal?
    - Terminal Emulator Commands

:: How do I crack/reset my phone's pattern/PIN/password lock?
    - How To Crack Android Lock

:: How to I increase my phone internal memory?
    - How To Increase Your Internal Storage Up To 1GB+?

Youtube Videos

8cpaiw's ROM Reviews' Videos (Known As Xperianace In Youtube)

Including:
    Xperience SEMC Debrand Engine, JoyOS, MIUI Pikachu Edition, Shin Engine, PetrukDroid, and MiniCM9.

Channel HERE

Video On How To Install Recovery, Unlock Bootloader, Flash A Custom Kernel And ROM by c903jerk

Video HERE
    Channel (More Vids) HERE

There are tons of other relevant threads, but it isn't possible for me to link each one. So just use SEARCH!

END OF SECTION III

su
    dmesg | grep cyttsp-i2c

btw this thread is treasure i wish when i started there were a thread like this...!!!!!
    @all
    The thread has been updated. Small changes here and there that most of you won't even notice. Lucas had done a wonderful job.
    And do remember to take a peek at mat's thread right below this in the General Section.