[Q] Unlock 4.3 OTA Galaxy S3

Search This thread

amfractal

Nov 21, 2013
As established earlier in the thread, I've been unsuccessful using any of the original methods described to unlock an i747 on 4.3. The weirder issue I'm now encountering is that entering an network unlock code purchased through a generally reliable third-party processor ALSO fails. I get a "network unlock request unsuccessful" message on all attempts.

Anybody else seeing this? I could've sworn I saw a post a few days ago that addressed similar difficulties, but for the life of me I can't find it in my search history or by querying the forums.

It was probably mine. I had the same issue and I got my code from cellunlocker.net.
I was on SlimRom and it was not working. I finally went back to the official rom for one final try and it worked.
This is what I did. I'm not sure if just trying the unlock code would've worked but I did follow these steps (it's a bit weird since you don't actually change anything, maybe it forces the phone to refresh something.)
Just make sure you are on official ROM or it won't work (I tried only the code with the SlimROM and it did not work).
After unlocking I went back to SlimRom and then CM and it was always unlocked.

1. Make sure that the phone PROMPTS for the code with a NON accepted sim card and that your IMEI is correct by dialing *#06#

a. Go to the Dial pad and dial *#197328640#

b. Please click on number [1] UMTS > [1] Debugging screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] NETWORK LOCK

c. You will see 3 options

d. Please click on number [1] Perso Sha256 INFO, the screen will change slightly

e. Please hit the MENU button then when the menu pops up please carefully hit BACK to return to the previous screen

f. Next Please click on number [2] Perso Sha256 ON, the screen will change again to a one line message

g. Restart the phone on the screen by holding the power button and click RESTART

h. When the phone prompts for the unlock code simply enter the unlock code provided to you

i. Your phone is now permanently unlocked!

rasdestroyer

Apr 28, 2011
Toronto
www.whosewoods.org
It was probably mine. I had the same issue and I got my code from cellunlocker.net.
I was on SlimRom and it was not working. I finally went back to the official rom for one final try and it worked.
This is what I did. I'm not sure if just trying the unlock code would've worked but I did follow these steps (it's a bit weird since you don't actually change anything, maybe it forces the phone to refresh something.)
Just make sure you are on official ROM or it won't work (I tried only the code with the SlimROM and it did not work).

1. Make sure that the phone PROMPTS for the code with a NON accepted sim card and that your IMEI is correct by dialing *#06#

b. Please click on number [1] UMTS > [1] Debugging screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] NETWORK LOCK

d. Please click on number [1] Perso Sha256 INFO, the screen will change slightly

e. Please hit the MENU button then when the menu pops up please carefully hit BACK to return to the previous screen

f. Next Please click on number [2] Perso Sha256 ON, the screen will change again to a one line message

g. Restart the phone on the screen by holding the power button and click RESTART

h. When the phone prompts for the unlock code simply enter the unlock code provided to you

Amazing, worked perfectly. Thanks so much! I wasn't on a custom ROM myself, but I think trying the methods at the beginning of this thread got my Perso Sha256 flag set incorrectly to OFF, which is maybe why the phone wouldn't accept the "official" network unlock code?

In any case, I really appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: jennivee

phatboyslim2014

Dec 11, 2013
Amazing, worked perfectly. Thanks so much! I wasn't on a custom ROM myself, but I think trying the methods at the beginning of this thread got my Perso Sha256 flag set incorrectly to OFF, which is maybe why the phone wouldn't accept the "official" network unlock code?

In any case, I really appreciate the help!

hey big question here, i accidentally updated to 4.3 before i found out you cant unlock on that ver.

well i found a similar unlock method for the s4 and i did not do the method in fear of messing the phone up but all the options are in the menu for the s4 method unlike the 4.1.1 method.

anybody try this as of yet????

mechanicalbmx

Mar 24, 2011
hey big question here, i accidentally updated to 4.3 before i found out you cant unlock on that ver.

well i found a similar unlock method for the s4 and i did not do the method in fear of messing the phone up but all the options are in the menu for the s4 method unlike the 4.1.1 method.

anybody try this as of yet????

Tried it (http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-sim-unlock-samsung-galaxy-s4-gt-i9505-for-free/), no bueno

I don't think anything broke. I did not get that golden back up thing.

gfinockio

Aug 23, 2008
I can tell you that there is 100% no way of ever bricking any phone. Those that think they can, need to buy a better computer or use the proper cables and programs. Anyone that has what they think is a brick phone, then send it to me. I will gladly take it off your hands. 6 yrs of playing with phones and I have never ever seen a bricked phone yet.

Yeah - you don't know what you're talking about. At all. Best to ignore this guy.

Disappointed that the software unlock on 4.1 doesn't survive an upgrade to 4.3. Guess I'll have to drop the money down to get a permanent unlock!

nestor.siu

Dec 28, 2013
Hello. I have the Galaxy S3 variant from Telus up here in British Columbia, Canada (model SGH-I747M). I had preciously unlocked it using the (no cost) Android 4.1.1 method and was able to use the phone on the 7-Eleven SpeakOut wireless service without any problems, both for voice/sms and their unlimited web browsing add on. It was unlocked while running the official Android 4.1.1. Subsequently, it was updated Over-The-Air to the official Android 4.1.2 without any issues.

I'd like to report that after doing an Over-The-Air update from Android 4.1.2 to the official Android 4.3 from Samsung, the phone appears to still "work" with the SpeakOut service for the most part. I can make voice calls and send SMS text messages. It also works with their new data add-on (their unlimited browsing option was sadly discontinued). However, MMI codes/USSD codes that are not built into the phone no longer work. For example, dialing *777# now returns the error message "Connection problem or invalid MMI code" instead of returning the prepaid account balance.

Note that the SpeakOut service in Canada rides on the Rogers network in Canada, so I suspect that if you are a Rogers Network customer, you may achieve the same result with the same phone.

I don't know, however, why MMI codes are no longer working after the upgrade. My current theories are that either it's a bug in the 4.3 software, or the unlocking was partially broken after the 4.3 update.

Last edited:

dntesinfrno

Oct 9, 2012
Sumter, SC
Again, you are not seeing the picture here or what you are saying. Stop thinking that what is posted by all Devs is correct. They are all Atm chips. Its like a 1.5ghz intel chip and a 1.8ghz cpu. They all do the same thing. One may be faster then the other. If this was a computer, could you load windows on both CPU's??? Yes you can.

Bootloaders are no different. Wait, the bootloader is on a piece of software used to install or boot up and O/S. Just like Linux and windows have different bootloaders, yet they both work on the same CPU. Or should I compare a Intel CPU to an AMD CPU? It doesn't matter.

This is why nothing ever advances, too many people listen to nay sayers here. I had 4.3 on my phone. I reverted back to 4.1.1. with no issues. You can not brick a Android phone, unless you are using the poorly made ROMs that most here are using. Android is a linux system. So stop confusing it with your phone software. Which 4.3 is. Its like updating from winblows 7 to winblows 8. They say once you go to w8 you can't go back. Hello, you can. Its that simple.

Pics or it didn't happen.

ldjc21

Jan 10, 2014
DOWNGRADE 4.3 STOCK galaxy S3 i747

The method posted for unlocking S3 on 4.1.1 doesn't work on 4.3 OTA update. Downgrading to 4.1.1 is not possible as it will brick your phone.

Is there anyway to unlock AT&T 4.3 Galaxy S3 or downgrade..?

Hi sorry, New in here..like lots of others..didnt know how to start a new topic.. I need Some serious help. Hope I didnt mess anything up.
Can you Down grade from 4.3 stock Firmware to 4.1.1. I upgrade to 4.3, then i try to root, and I think I bricked my phone. Since I reboot and it didnt get passed the AT&T logo. So I installed the 4.3 CM ROM, adn its working, I thought I can install 4.1.1 Galaxy Stock Firmware adn do the whole process again. But When I tried it..in Odin it says fail. AS it shows that somhow it keeps all this data. Is there A way I can go back to 4.3 Firmware? Please help.

Thanks..

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Hi sorry, New in here..like lots of others..didnt know how to start a new topic.. I need Some serious help. Hope I didnt mess anything up.
Can you Down grade from 4.3 stock Firmware to 4.1.1. I upgrade to 4.3, then i try to root, and I think I bricked my phone. Since I reboot and it didnt get passed the AT&T logo. So I installed the 4.3 CM ROM, adn its working, I thought I can install 4.1.1 Galaxy Stock Firmware adn do the whole process again. But When I tried it..in Odin it says fail. AS it shows that somhow it keeps all this data. Is there A way I can go back to 4.3 Firmware? Please help.

Thanks..

There is no Odin flashable stock 4.3 AT&T ROM and you can't flash an older stock AT&T ROM if it tries to install an older bootloader.

By trying to root your phone, it probably tripped the Knox counter which voids the Samsung warranty.

ldjc21

Jan 10, 2014
There is no Odin flashable stock 4.3 AT&T ROM and you can't flash an older stock AT&T ROM if it tries to install an older bootloader.

By trying to root your phone, it probably tripped the Knox counter which voids the Samsung warranty.

Hey thanks for reaponding..after hoira of research. I was able to manage to diwnload rom UCUEMJ2 no root knox Ip. From amother thread.
After I flashed it. It worked..I was very happy. I then flashed another zip that made my SE permessive..after flashing this file my root kicked in and was qorking great. But I noticed that with this Rom my status bar is not translucent like all the other 4.3 rom updates. I would live to have it translucent. Is there a zip that i can flash to have this fixed and not having to download xposed installer to do it. it be awesome to know there is. I am currently running on

UCUEMJ2 ROM
SE PERMESSIVE
MY PHONE YES ITS ROOTED.
UCUEMJB MODEM.

PLEASE HELP. I attached a picture of my home screen so u can see what I mean.
THANKS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-18-19-31-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-18-19-31-50.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 330

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Hey thanks for reaponding..after hoira of research. I was able to manage to diwnload rom UCUEMJ2 no root knox Ip. From amother thread.
After I flashed it. It worked..I was very happy. I then flashed another zip that made my SE permessive..after flashing this file my root kicked in and was qorking great. But I noticed that with this Rom my status bar is not translucent like all the other 4.3 rom updates. I would live to have it translucent. Is there a zip that i can flash to have this fixed and not having to download xposed installer to do it. it be awesome to know there is. I am currently running on

UCUEMJ2 ROM
SE PERMESSIVE
MY PHONE YES ITS ROOTED.
UCUEMJB MODEM.

PLEASE HELP. I attached a picture of my home screen so u can see what I mean.
THANKS.
Are you running a custom recovery? If you are, create a nandroid backup. Xposedframework and Gravity Box is what you might want to try.

http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer

galakanokis

Feb 2, 2011
So messing around a bit with the service menu, *#0011# and then hitting menu > back > menu > key input > 1 you will briefly see the menu pop up. There has to be a way to get that to stay up. Anybody had any luck in unlocking a S3 ob the 4.3 bootloader without paying for it?

Don't really need to do this just curious more than anything.

dubluv1

Sep 16, 2012
NJ

This method worked for me.
FYI- my situation (maybe it'll help others): I bought a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card for my spare GS3 just to see if it would work. I contacted AT&T and they provided me a SIM unlock code (took about 2 days). However, it did not work! 5 days later, and they still haven't figured it out! I decided to take matters into my own hands. After many many hours of research and trying all sorts of methods I believe whats happening its that people are trying the dial pad method and setting their Perso Sha256 to "OFF". If you've done that then unlock codes will not register correctly... So get and unlock code, then set it back to ON following the steps above. Hopefully that helps others..

[Stock rooted 4.3 OTA I747 AT&T US]

Jimmyh18

Feb 13, 2014
UK samsung s3 GT-I9305

Hi guys,

I've just gone back to my S3 as my N5 is being reploaced.

I have though changed my network and want to unlock it but I can't seem to after my 4.3 update.

The dial pad shortcuts don't work for me to get into any of the menu settings, for example *#197328640# doesn't work .

So I decided for the first time ever to go for a bought code from a reliable 3rd party, again that's offering me no luck all i get is network unlock code rejected.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Jimmyh18

Feb 13, 2014
That's weird.:eek:
Even *#06# doesn't work? Have you done something to your phone? firmware, bootloader or anything...

A few of the dial pad shortcuts do work but not all *#06# does work but that's about it

I'm running a stock version of 4.3 my S3 was only ever a stop gap phone so i never did anything to it.

Any ideas?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
A few of the dial pad shortcuts do work but not all *#06# does work but that's about it

I'm running a stock version of 4.3 my S3 was only ever a stop gap phone so i never did anything to it.

Any ideas?

For the i747 and i747m, the only way to unlock it for free was to be running a stock 4.1.1 ROM with a stock 4.1.1 bootloader.

Anisrael

Apr 7, 2010
Piedmont

That worked for me too. But no data yet. Gotta work on that one now. I don't think it's an APN issue since I'm using the same one as I'm using on my other phone. Maybe they've also got it provider locked.

Thanks a $M

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As established earlier in the thread, I've been unsuccessful using any of the original methods described to unlock an i747 on 4.3. The weirder issue I'm now encountering is that entering an network unlock code purchased through a generally reliable third-party processor ALSO fails. I get a "network unlock request unsuccessful" message on all attempts.

Anybody else seeing this? I could've sworn I saw a post a few days ago that addressed similar difficulties, but for the life of me I can't find it in my search history or by querying the forums.

This method worked for me.
    FYI- my situation (maybe it'll help others): I bought a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card for my spare GS3 just to see if it would work. I contacted AT&T and they provided me a SIM unlock code (took about 2 days). However, it did not work! 5 days later, and they still haven't figured it out! I decided to take matters into my own hands. After many many hours of research and trying all sorts of methods I believe whats happening its that people are trying the dial pad method and setting their Perso Sha256 to "OFF". If you've done that then unlock codes will not register correctly... So get and unlock code, then set it back to ON following the steps above. Hopefully that helps others..

[Stock rooted 4.3 OTA I747 AT&T US]
    Again, you are not seeing the picture here or what you are saying. Stop thinking that what is posted by all Devs is correct. They are all Atm chips. Its like a 1.5ghz intel chip and a 1.8ghz cpu. They all do the same thing. One may be faster then the other. If this was a computer, could you load windows on both CPU's??? Yes you can.

Bootloaders are no different. Wait, the bootloader is on a piece of software used to install or boot up and O/S. Just like Linux and windows have different bootloaders, yet they both work on the same CPU. Or should I compare a Intel CPU to an AMD CPU? It doesn't matter.

This is why nothing ever advances, too many people listen to nay sayers here. I had 4.3 on my phone. I reverted back to 4.1.1. with no issues. You can not brick a Android phone, unless you are using the poorly made ROMs that most here are using. Android is a linux system. So stop confusing it with your phone software. Which 4.3 is. Its like updating from winblows 7 to winblows 8. They say once you go to w8 you can't go back. Hello, you can. Its that simple.
    Ok, whatever.

Let's get back to the original subject here, which is unlocking phones with the 4.3 OTA, before this thread ends up getting locked by the moderators.
    Unlock codes must be entered into the stock touchwiz dialer or they wont work.
    Thanks. I will have a look at those. My phone is already rooted. That, however, doesn't unlock the phone. The reason I want to unlock my phone is that I want to travel internationally and I want to be able to use my phone with sim cards from carriers abroad. I called AT&T and they refused to unlock it even though I have few months left on my contract.

Ah I see, I found this.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176719

Post 1 and 2 might have the answer you are looking for. :eek: