Canadian Note 3 (N900W8) Knox Thread (0x0 can be maintained)

Search This thread

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
There are users here in Canada with Note 3's that have "Custom" in "Current Bianary" and "System Status".

This information has not been posted, I have NO idea why. I am guessing these people could care less about us (the people still in the dark).

I have only just obtained a Note 3 (Week ago) and I am trying to figure this stuff out.

We have a special Note 3 in our N900W8's. Apparently we can:

- Downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 via Odin 3.09 without tripping Knox (not sure if this requires the Mexican bootloader first or if we can do it with our Canadian bootloaders)

- Keep Knox at 0x0 with Custom Everything else. From what I see, our bootloaders are unlocked allowing us to flash our phones in Odin with multiple files (not 1 file mode as this contains a bootloader) as long as we dont include the bootloader (theory from what I have seen, and read a few times, no confirmation).

However I can not get an answer out of anyone who knows anything. I cannot just blindly flash and see if Knox is tripped, I'll only get one shot. Not worth it IMO.

Can anyone chime in on this? Is it acceptable to call members out? I know exactly who the 2 people are that have Custom everything and Knox at 0x0. 2 Torontonians, younger guys, doesn't seem like they want to talk though. Can I call them in here, is that acceptable behavior? Never done that before. Hehe.

Last edited:

kiru

May 12, 2005
I can confirm. I used this method:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2614772

I have a Rogers Note 3 with CWM installed and rooted with Knox at 0x0. My friend just updated his Note 3 to kit Kat (through kies) and rooted using cf-autoroot and his knox is 0x0. I haven't tried downgrading so I cannot comment on that.

I am planning to flash the official Rogers rom shortly and then root (not sure about installing a custom recovery yet) I will report back when completed.

Last edited:

soal001

Feb 25, 2013

I have a Rogers Note 3 with CWM installed and rooted with Knox at 0x0. My friend just updated his Note 3 to kit Kat (through kies) and rooted using cf-autoroot and his knox is 0x0. I haven't tried downgrading so I cannot comment on that.

I am planning to flash the official Rogers rom shortly and then root (not sure about installing a custom recovery yet) I will report back when completed.

That link notes that installing a custom recovery will trip knox. Could you please verify what you did to install custom recovery and still maintain knox 0x0? Will be very interested in your follow-up.

bingbinghaha

Jun 10, 2009

Could you also PM me the procedure? Knox is really bugging me and TW is bloated with too many craps. X-Note looks awesome! Thanks !

kiru

May 12, 2005
I followed the guide in the link I posted as it is pretty detailed already. I have root and cwm recovery installed with Knox at 0x0.

DrawnToLife

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto
I followed the guide in the link I posted as it is pretty detailed already. I have root and cwm recovery installed with Knox at 0x0.

Second that.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Okay here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tks73wZH3qg&list=UU2FLZg9YNAr4YAd0VEDDKGQ
You have to pause to see it at the beginning, and in hindsight, I probably have should of started in CWM, then booted into recovery, but whatever.
Set it to HD and pause it at the beginning, you can see my Knox 0x0. Then watch the video and I boot into the ROM, then back into CWM, all in one cut.

Cheers.

kaddict

Mar 22, 2014
Same here

Knox 0x0 here, after a few good reasons to trip it :)

Android newcomer here.
I have a Bell Canada SM-N900W8, and it came with 4.3. Rooted 4.3 with Kingo (noob style) and that was just perfect to start out. Then the OTA came out. I unrooted the device, reseted with Kies 3 update to 4.4.2 and then Kingo wasn't working anymore of course.

At that point I decided I didn't care about tripping knox and installed TWRP to start trying roms... Tried like 2-3 1+gb complete packed roms (bootloops, probably cauz im a noob) then I wiped from TWRP, restored my OTA backup, flashed with CF-Auto-Root international version (canadian is another bootloop) and then flashed a CivZ kernel +stock-modification rom that I now simply keep clean with Titanium Backup and some apps y'all know about.

Some more info :
My version is VLUCNB7
My current kernel 3.4.39~CivZ-SnapKat-Rev2.2-N900T~civato@ubuntu
My current SE state is Permissive
Again, Knox is 0x0. Even after bootloops of custom crap that was crashing and I'm custom-rom, custom-kernel.

Two facts to finish that off
1) That's weird
2) I'm a lucky *****

Have a great day :)

Reactions: codecxbox

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
What if I want to use a custom 4.3 ROM (just to get BT Tethering) without tripping KNOX?

The guides seems to push you to install the 4.4 ROMs.

jonleez

Dec 20, 2013
I have the Bell version of N900W8.

Started at MI5, rooted de la vega, then wanted to upgrade to 4.4.2.

Used polishpats way of upgrading with the leaked 4.4.2, flashed all the AP,CSC,CP,PIT, then installed TWRP and autorooted, both with Odin 3.09 - no knox trip

Wanted to try X-note, installed it using TWRP, and no knox trip

Upgraded the kernel using TWRP, no knox trip

Did not like X-note, wanted to go back to 4.4.2, and reflashed it - no knox trip

Downgraded back to 4.3, no knox trip

upgraded to offical 4.4.2, no knox trip

rooted via chainfire and odin - no knox trip

now sitting at rooted 4.4.2 with 0x0 still

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Are you basically saying Bell's N900W8 is KNOX untripable?

I'm on MJ4 (UDLV Rooted) with remaining with MJ1 Bootloader

Since I don't want a KITKAT rom, can I just install a custom recovery (TWRP) without doing all that Mexican instruction stuff?

I really just want a 4.3 ROM with BT Tethering.

Last edited:

kaddict

Mar 22, 2014
Are you basically saying Bell's N900W8 is KNOX untripable?
I'm on MJ4 (UDLV Rooted) with remaining with MJ1 Bootloader
Since I don't want a KITKAT rom, can I just install a custom recovery (TWRP) without doing all that Mexican instruction stuff?
I really just want a 4.3 ROM with BT Tethering.

Hello,

My friend has just the same phone as me, he bought it a few weeks before me, and he used his own techniques and got 0x1 knox tripped, so I just can't warn you enough : not all N900W8 are "untrippable"

...but...I didn't trip mine and I'm not alone.

Without more information you can't just say canadian w8's are untrippable, cauz they are.

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
@nexxusty

in your opinion, do you have to go thru installing KITKAT rom from Mexico if you just want to install another 4.3 ROM that has BT Tethering without tripping KNOX?

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
@nexxusty

in your opinion, do you have to go thru installing KITKAT rom from Mexico if you just want to install another 4.3 ROM that has BT Tethering without tripping KNOX?

Klau you took the question right out of my head brother. LOL.

I am not sure... this also pains me as I want to try CF-auto Root right now on 4.4.2 Rogers.

From my knowledge of technology, I dont think it will. Not positive though. I am hoping you do not need to flash this.

I will test for us. Here is hoping I wont lose my warranty. Will report back.

Reactions: klau1

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario

I am not sure... this also pains me as I want to try CF-auto Root right now on 4.4.2 Rogers.

From my knowledge of technology, I dont think it will. Not positive though. I am hoping you do not need to flash this.

Flashed CF-Auto-Root, flashed TWRP 2.6.3.0, 0x0 still!

Now for the info on my phone.

I have done as follows.

Phone came with 4.3 stock --> Root De La Vega --> Flashed 4.4.2 Stock (Rogers) with Odin 3.09 --> CF Auto-Root --> TWRP 2.6.3.0 = Rooted 4.4.2 with TWRP 2.6.3.0 Recovery and Knox @ 0x0.

I'm not stopping here. Will flash everything DrawntoLife has.

Appreciated my man. Thanks again! Easy to Follow Step By Step Tutorial **WILL** be written tonight after I am done at a LAN I am already late for figuring this out. ;)

Talk soon everyone! Happy flashing!

Last edited:

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
did you consider extracting the ODIN package and leave out the Bootloader?

Remember we had to do that upgrading from MJ1 to MJ4. Reportedly, it was the newer bootloaders that trip KNOX.

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
did you consider extracting the ODIN package and leave out the Bootloader?

Remember we had to do that upgrading from MJ1 to MJ4. Reportedly, it was the newer bootloaders that trip KNOX.

When I updated to 4.4.2? I did, but I was not sure if that would trip Knox so I left it in the package.

It's irrelevant now anyway, the bootloader in 4.4.2 Rogers is the one I am on now and allowing me to do all this still.

I suggest you update to it. Use the package labeled "N900W8VLUCNB7_N900W8OYACNB7_RWC". That is 4.4.2 for a Rogers Note 3.

I can safely assume you can flash this at any point and be fine. Even if you are already on a hacked 4.4.2 or something. There would be no issue updating the bootloader to the same version, would just overwrite it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check this ROM for Canadian version of note3

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52060136

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

You can install any N9005 ROM provided you flash an N900T kernel and the NFC/Wifi/BT fix.

I'm gonna pass on any N900W8 exclusive ROMs.
    I was previously used the telcel mexican upgrade path to go from 4.3 to 4.4.2. Then I downgraded to 4.3 to get 4.4.2 ota. Still 0x0. Now I'm stock 4.4.2. You are saying I can root and still be 0x0 on my n900w8 running stock nb7?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have a Rogers SM-N900W8 that I bought with 4.3. I upgraded to 4.4.2 OTA with stock nb7. I have been rooted and have TWRP flashed on my phone for about 2 months. I have flashed several custom roms as well as kernels etc. I decided to return to stock, but did not want all of the Rogers bloatware so have flashed the Wind stock rom as that is who I'm with anyhow. After flashing the wind stock rom, I was completely stock, losing recovery and root. I re-rooted and re-flashed TWRP and that is where I stand now, stock but rooted. All of this while remaining at Knox 0x0.

Flashed CF-Auto-Root, flashed TWRP 2.6.3.0, 0x0 still!

Now for the info on my phone.

I have done as follows.

Phone came with 4.3 stock --> Root De La Vega --> Flashed 4.4.2 Stock (Rogers) with Odin 3.09 --> CF Auto-Root --> TWRP 2.6.3.0 = Rooted 4.4.2 with TWRP 2.6.3.0 Recovery and Knox @ 0x0.

I'm not stopping here. Will flash everything DrawntoLife has.

Appreciated my man. Thanks again! Easy to Follow Step By Step Tutorial **WILL** be written tonight after I am done at a LAN I am already late for figuring this out. ;)

Talk soon everyone! Happy flashing!
    I was previously used the telcel mexican upgrade path to go from 4.3 to 4.4.2. Then I downgraded to 4.3 to get 4.4.2 ota. Still 0x0. Now I'm stock 4.4.2. You are saying I can root and still be 0x0 on my n900w8 running stock nb7?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Check out the Canadian Note 3 Users thread. There are people who have reported that you can, indeed, root stock NB7 from Canadian OTA and keep 0x0. I'd check out the thread and maybe contact some of them?
    This thread is what I personally used to get on 4.4.2 with 0x0. I haven't tried downgrading to 4.3, but I have flashed X-Note approximately 5 times, and many kernels as well. I've also updated my baseband to NB7, all while retaining 0x0. Not sure if that helps or not, but I followed this thread exactly as it is and go exactly what you've asked for.

Yep this is what I initially used as well. I did it with DrawnToLife but they used the exact same files if not just a mirror with pictures.

Oogar's method definitely works as it was the original one. Just to add - I have flashed many different recoveries and stock kernels from Download Mode (around 5 recoveries to update/fix wrong flash, around 3-4 stock kernels) and KNOX is still at 0x0.

If you followed the steps above in that link or Oogar's post you CAN successfully flash back to 4.3 and retain KNOX 0x0. If you update to the latest NB7 you can't downgrade but you can still get KNOX 0x0.