Another battery drain thread.. (4.4.2 Location..)

Search This thread

omricn

Aug 7, 2010
jerusalem
I know some of you wont even read this thread.. due to it's popularity, but I just have to share my experience with 4.4.2 battery issues.

This is going to be a bit long (I just made 50% of you run away..) so sit back.

About two weeks ago I decided to flash the stock 4.4.2 that came out, and so I did, everything went smooth, no problems what so ever.
I also decided to root my device for the first time, just so I could change some system sounds and use root explorer, nothing more. so I did.
since then I started noticing the battery was not as it used to be, I would usually get home after work (~9-10 hours) and have 50-70% battery left depending on my phone usage that day. Now I was getting home with 30-20% and have to plug it in in the evening.
From what I saw in the battery stats in 'settings', it looked as if the phone is waking up every minute or so, for a couple of seconds, rather than sleeping when the screen is off, it got to the point I had less than an hour of screen time and the phone was about to shut down.

So I installed BBS, cpu spy, wake detector and started monitoring everything, in short I'll just say it got me nowhere, the stats were random at best, making me disable exchange services, Gmail sync, Google plus sync, Google now and more.

So after some time I got fed up, and decided to do a full system wipe, including system\data etc. basically everything, back to 4.4.2 stock, no apps, nothing installed except what comes with the phone.

Again, same behavior, another system wipe, same behavior.

I've been wiping the phone more than I was using it for the past 2 weeks, and yesterday I decided to try a different approach, I disabled EVERYTHING, the phone was basically just a 'phone'. NOW I was getting somewhere, phone was sleeping as soon as the screen was off, not waking up at all. and so I started enabling stuff, first my apps, everything still OK, then Google sync, OK, exchange sync, OK, location - BOOM - phone waking up again..

So, Location is the culprit after all, I started disabling stuff like Google location history, location reporting, WIFI scan networks, set locations to power saving mode, NADA. basically I have to turn off 'locations' all together in order for the phone to last more than half a day.

And that's my 4.4.2 experience for you.
Anyone has the same experience?
I'm this close to selling my S4 and getting a Nexus5.. my wife's Nexus 5 is amazing, everything set to ON, battery lasts 2.5 days..

Thakns for reading people.

Attached are two examples of the phone staying awake all the time, and not sleeping regularly. I did not take a screenshot of when the 'Locations' was off, but it was consistent with the screen on time, when the screen was off the phone was sleeping, no exceptions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-25-09-48-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-25-09-48-48.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Screenshot_2014-03-26-09-03-58.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-26-09-03-58.png
    119 KB · Views: 258

threeph

May 4, 2011
My s4 is experiencing the same problem, battery life sucks. I noticed that if you do not turn on the screen after unplugging the phone battery doesn't drain for hours. But after you turn it on for the first time the battery just drops about 10% every hour since. Now I'm trying to completely disable the location as you did, I'll let you know!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

threeph

May 4, 2011
What if it has to do with the 4G? I am going to try using 3g only for a day.. no skype either

omricn

Aug 7, 2010
jerusalem
Changed rom, same behavior.. Phone still wakes up every minute or so.. It can't be my apps, since I've already tested it with no apps installed, I'm clueless..
P. S. BBS is not consistent at all, it's something else every time.

Also - turning off 'locations' fixes the issue, again.. But why?? And why other people don't have this issue with the same hardware and same rom?.. I'm not running anything unusual, I have beautiful widgets installed, but I've always had it, other than that there is nothing that uses location services, just Google itself.

Last edited:

derhannes1983

Mar 24, 2010
I got the Stock 4.4.2 ROM. I got the phone with 4.3, used it some days, and had no problems at all. After installing 4.4.2, my battery got killed in like half a day without even using it, I could literally watch the percentage drop.

After disabling the location settings and turning it to "GPS only" when it is active for things like sat nav or Gmaps, my phone returned to the same battery consumption like it was before 4.4.3. I guess the options to find out your location via your mobile phone network and/or wireless network consumes a vast amount of energy, I don't know why it is like that, as my Nexus does not have this problem at all...

threeph

May 4, 2011
I wonder if it's Odin related: a couple of months ago I unbranded my s4 installing an official rom with Odin. Don't know why but since then Kies labels my phone as not updatable (same csc as before). This happens after the 4.4.2 update with Odin too. Does Kies update work for you?

omricn

Aug 7, 2010
jerusalem
I wonder if it's Odin related: a couple of months ago I unbranded my s4 installing an official rom with Odin. Don't know why but since then Kies labels my phone as not updatable (same csc as before). This happens after the 4.4.2 update with Odin too. Does Kies update work for you?

I don't think kies will with since I'm rooted?..