I booted TWRP recovery onto kindle fire 2

Search This thread

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Hah. Just letting you know, semi-knowledgable people are reading this. It was my weekend though and I didn't bother to post until I could sit down at a PC and do some forum posting. If you need any help on my end, let me know, just I won't know more than you most likely although I am willing to learn. I have a KF2 and plan to buy or make a fastboot cable. I think I will make one just so I can learn, then buy one if I don't like how mine turned out. If you need me to run any software though I am willing as long as I know how to unbrick my device for certain first. Once you get into testing ROMs and using the recoveries, I know a little bit more about that. All my experience comes from flashing ROMs and Kernels and whatnot. I've used an evo 4g and galaxy s2. I also am the go-to person for friends so had some fun with random phones over the years. It's always interesting to see the types of rooting and ROMing methods, and all the odd types of dev teams you see across the board.

Thanks.I am trying to build a recovery image right now

Sent from my KFOT using xda app-developers app

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Thanks.I am trying to build a recovery image right now

Wow really? Very nice. I'm glad Hashcode was able to send you some help!

I assume the only way to do this will be a fastboot cable for now right? I wasn't looking to make/get one until this coming weekend but if you'll have something I could tinker with before, I may look up making/buying the cable sooner. I will probably have to get a new cable because I'm getting low on those cables, and the kindle one is the last "high quality" one I have left.

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA

I assume the only way to do this will be a fastboot cable for now right? I wasn't looking to make/get one until this coming weekend but if you'll have something I could tinker with before, I may look up making/buying the cable sooner. I will probably have to get a new cable because I'm getting low on those cables, and the kindle one is the last "high quality" one I have left.

what about dd? that might work, flash a recovery image?

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

have you tried booting to fastboot then switching the cables, then typing boot ...img? or do you flip the switch every time you type boot?

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas

I believe so. Whenever I tried flashing twrp It would not boot into It. I believe Amazon has it "protected", But I am sure hashcode and the kf developers can find something out.

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
what about dd? that might work, flash a recovery image?

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

have you tried booting to fastboot then switching the cables, then typing boot ...img? or do you flip the switch every time you type boot?

Not sure about dd because I think amazon has it jacked up to boot into some unknown recovery location...I have tried fliping the switch and such inside fb mode but it made no difference...maybe their is some sort of timing that allows it to boot the recovery (but not likely)

Edit:

I got the source of gingerbread set up(required to make a recovery image) and I am backing it up for "when" I do something wrong.
Copying
79,233 of 145,462 files
4.6gb of 7.2gb

Last edited:

idontwanttobeanoob

Sep 5, 2011
I have a crappy computer, im in college classes, dealing with the army and the fallout from cancer so i dont know how much help i can be, but i can do some testing if you need somebody. Just pm me and ill help as much as i possibly can.

Reactions: powerpoint45

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
actually, you build twrp 2.3.x.x against the cm10 repo. :/

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: powerpoint45

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
actually, you build twrp 2.3.x.x against the cm10 repo. :/

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Oh God )#
...Do you know why this is down: https://raw.github.com/KFire-Android/android_local_manifest/jb-cm/local_manifest.xml

...I think I found a copy
https://github.com/KFire-Android/android_local_manifest/blob/cm-10.1/local_manifest.xml

...why does it say the branch is gb if I use jb base?If you go here the only branch is gb
https://github.com/TeamWin/device_amazon_blaze

I keep getting fetch errors. I think that manifest file won't work...

Last edited:

awidawad

I may be able to help build TWRP for the KF2 if it hasn't been done yet. With that said, I won't be able to test for I don't own one and apparently it won't boot if you flash it so someone else should figure this out because yet again, I don't own the device. But I know how to modify TWRP's partition mounts and options thanks to @Dees_Troy on IRC who gave me instructions for that. Currently I've built but have not released yet a recovery for KF 1st gen with full Dual-Boot support that can backup, restore, and wipe System2 Partitions..

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I need a tester who owns a 2nd-gen KFire and a fastboot cable who can be around on IRC freenode.net #kindlefire-dev to walk through some things I've been working on.

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
I need a tester who owns a 2nd-gen KFire and a fastboot cable who can be around on IRC freenode.net #kindlefire-dev to walk through some things I've been working on.

I can test but not today. I could tomorrow probably though... or even maybe later today about 8:30 Central time. I'm not too experienced with IRC but I can learn easily.

Reactions: mindmajick

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I can test but not today. I could tomorrow probably though... or even maybe later today about 8:30 Central time. I'm not too experienced with IRC but I can learn easily.

So you're about 2 hours ahead of me here on the west coast. I normally get back on around 9pm-10pm my time which would be late for you (11pm-12pm?) Not sure if you're available then?

Reactions: mindmajick

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I probably won't be around till midnight your time. Ill buzz you then.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey guys! Using a factory cable I got into fastboot. Once in fastboot I downloaded TWRP image for the kindle fire 1 http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/blaze/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.1-blaze.img then I typed

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 boot Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.1-blaze.img

but after doing that it just booted back into fastboot so then I did the same thing but right after the image got downloaded onto the device, I entered the command again and it booted right into TWRP. It takes a few tries but it works. Touch points all work but I am not sure about anything else. Hope this helps with further development.

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dL_QxFVRtc
    * PLEASE DONT TRY ANYTHING UNLESS YOU OWN AND UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE A FASTBOOT CABLE. ALSO MAKE BACKUPS OF THE STOCK PARTITIONS IN CASE OF DISASTER RECOVERY *

Regarding building a TWRP for KFire2:
    I replied in a PM but thought that maybe the information could also be used by the general KFire2 population.

recovery.fstab:
    This is close. But, sdcard is handled very differently on otter2 (KFire2). Try this instead:

Code:
    /sdcard	 	datamedia	/dev/null
    /data		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/userdata
    /cache		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/cache
    /system		ext4		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system
    /boot		emmc		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
    /recovery	emmc		/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery

I took the liberty of removing "dangerous" partitions from the list.

Now I don't think you'll want to actually flash anything other than: data/cache/system. As it will most definitely break the signature checking on the partition.

That being said, I am working on a long-term goal of supporting both kf1 and kf2 via a 2nd-bootloader and some adjustments to the current bootloader that the kf1 uses (IE: allow it to load the signed kernel/recovery partitions which are needed for kf2)

And changes to BoardConfig.mk
    Also,

Make sure you have these options set in BoardConfig.mk (some may already be there which is ok):

Code:
    TW_NO_REBOOT_BOOTLOADER := true
    TW_NO_REBOOT_RECOVERY := true
    TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_PATH := "/data/media"
    TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT := "data"
    RECOVERY_SDCARD_ON_DATA := true
    TW_ALWAYS_RMRF := true
    TARGET_USERIMAGES_USE_EXT4 := true
    Hey guys! Just wanted to show you the tests that were done yesterday with Hashcode. We are testing a boot image made by Hashcode. A custom recovery was built by hashcode but we never got it to boot...

Test 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2QeTZSgyI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtT4BoHQLOM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 2 boot selection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWVPBygQSA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozr_62ssVkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Last night we fixed the following:
    *audio
    *adb
    *MTP
    *video (not HD)
    *boot loader bug Fix's