[ROM] [21/1/13] - SentinelROM v2.10 - 4.2.1 - Root - De-Odex - Tweaks - APM - Themed

Search This thread

Max128

Apr 16, 2011
Canada
Hi friend,

I am interested in your rom .. I wonder what is really the difference between this one and the CM10.1? What is the most complete?

Thanks

asweiler

Aug 15, 2012
Hi friend,

I am interested in your rom .. I wonder what is really the difference between this one and the CM10.1? What is the most complete?

Thanks

Frankly the best way to be really clear is to download Sentinel 2.10 and try it a bit, then download Sentinel 3.0 and try it for a bit. That is going to be your best bet to learn what is different. Although, like I said I feel that the extra things in 3.0 (like a better customizable Quick Settings and the bottom bar can be customized a bit, as well as all the nice perks that CM is known for (see here for a small list of what CM does that AOSP does not) are of course in Sentinel 3.0.

May I ask what ROMs you have tried already?

Max128

Apr 16, 2011
Canada
Frankly the best way to be really clear is to download Sentinel 2.10 and try it a bit, then download Sentinel 3.0 and try it for a bit. That is going to be your best bet to learn what is different. Although, like I said I feel that the extra things in 3.0 (like a better customizable Quick Settings and the bottom bar can be customized a bit, as well as all the nice perks that CM is known for (see here for a small list of what CM does that AOSP does not) are of course in Sentinel 3.0.

May I ask what ROMs you have tried already?

I just had my nexus 10 yesterday , So i just finished unlock the bootloader and root, and now i look for roms customs. I know CM, I wanted to know between the two roms..

In fact, it has two recovery TWRP and CWM .. I've never really had a problem with CWM which do you recommend?

This is a awesome tablet.

asweiler

Aug 15, 2012
I just had my nexus 10 yesterday , So i just finished unlock the bootloader and root, and now i look for roms customs. I know CM, I wanted to know between the two roms..

In fact, it has two recovery TWRP and CWM .. I've never really had a problem with CWM which do you recommend?

This is a awesome tablet.

I am sorry but I was not asking if you have done other ROMs only on the Nexus, I was talking about in general. Like have you on your phone or any other android device used an ROM that was AOSP based?

Max128

Apr 16, 2011
Canada
I am sorry but I was not asking if you have done other ROMs only on the Nexus, I was talking about in general. Like have you on your phone or any other android device used an ROM that was AOSP based?

Yes I've already installed of roms AOSP on my phone or on my old tablet. I know the difference I especially wanted to know if the 3.0 is as complete as this one. :)

asweiler

Aug 15, 2012
Yes I've already installed of roms AOSP on my phone or on my old tablet. I know the difference I especially wanted to know if the 3.0 is as complete as this one. :)

Sorry the way it was worded confused me. Based off what the OP on v3.0 says, it is the same but instead using CM 10.1 instead of AOSP as the core.

Also you can learn more by reading the Facebook posts he makes. It explains more stuff too.

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
Both Roms have the same benefits, but v3.0 is much more customisable. I'd suggest trying both and see what you think. Remember to install v2.00 before you install v2.10 as per my instructions in the OP.

Thanks for checking out SentinelROM

Sent from my EndeavorU using xda premium

asweiler

Aug 15, 2012
Both Roms have the same benefits, but v3.0 is much more customisable. I'd suggest trying both and see what you think. Remember to install v2.00 before you install v2.10 as per my instructions in the OP.

Thanks for checking out SentinelROM

Sent from my EndeavorU using xda premium

Ok good so I was right on what I had told him a few posts up. I basically told him that they are the same except for 3.0 has more customizability and that he should try both just to get a better feel for it.

@Max128: I forgot to say I suggest CWM Touch. It has always been my favorite from the very beginning I've even tried at least 3 other recoveries and none of them really good made me happy like CWM does.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
I've experienced issues on Nexus 10 with CWM Recovery and backups not working correctly (nothing to do with this ROM), so I too recommend TWRP, as stated in the OP.

asweiler

Aug 15, 2012
Has it always been giving you problems? Because I recovered from a backup about 3 times now using clockworkmod with no issues. One was a backup of your v2.0 and another was of an old aosp rom

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
I've never successfully created a backup on my Nexus 10 using CWM. The backup file ends up being a few KB, and obviously fails to restore. No issues with TWRP.

Anyway this has nothing to do with this ROM and should be discussed in the relevant recovery threads :)

Max128

Apr 16, 2011
Canada
Hi,

I have flashed your rom 3.0 and i love it. I love the tweaks especially softkeys, I also have this function in my HTC sensation ..

The rom has the CM kernel, I also like to have the stock kernel with me. Can you make a flashable zip for stock kernel?

I have seen more quick settings in 2.0, I know it's the same base and i assume that this is the file SystemUI.apk. However, if i replace SystemUI.apk some tweaks will not work anymore, can you integrated the same configuration in your new roms. I would make myself , but I guess that is not the same as HTC.

I installed CWM because i like it and i have no problem with backup until now.

Thank you for your work for this awesome tablet. I am also developer and I know how long this is.

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
Hi,

I have flashed your rom 3.0 and i love it. I love the tweaks especially softkeys, I also have this function in my HTC sensation ..

The rom has the CM kernel, I also like to have the stock kernel with me. Can you make a flashable zip for stock kernel?

I have seen more quick settings in 2.0, I know it's the same base and i assume that this is the file SystemUI.apk. However, if i replace SystemUI.apk some tweaks will not work anymore, can you integrated the same configuration in your new roms. I would make myself , but I guess that is not the same as HTC.

I installed CWM because i like it and i have no problem with backup until now.

Thank you for your work for this awesome tablet. I am also developer and I know how long this is.

Hi Mate,

Unfortunately the stock kernel doesn't work properly with my CyanogenMod based ROM, which is why I don't include it.

As for the quick settings in v3.00, they are fully customisable. Go to Settings - System - Quick Settings.

See you in the v3.00 thread for any other questions related to V3 :)

Reactions: gvillanueva

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sentinelrom.png

Welcome to SentinelROM for Nexus 10.

homescreen.png

NOTE: Pictured with 'Zooper Widget' (included) and 'Eye In Sky' (not included but free download) homescreen widgets.

This is my first custom ROM build and has been a long time in the making, but it's finally ready for release.

This ROM is based on the Stock JOP40D 4.2.1 ROM with the following features.
    • Stock Kernel
    • Rooted with Busybox and SuperUser installed
    • De-Odexed
    • Zip Aligned
    • ADB root access with Remount
    • init.d support
    • 'Seeder' mod for improved 3D gaming performance
    • 'Enhanced Quick Settings Menu (See below for details)
    • Advanced Power Menu with Hot Boot, Bootloader and Recovery options
    • Long press Vol+ / Vol- to skip tracks forward and back
    • CyanogenMod File Manager pre-installed
    • Stock Gapps included
    • Zooper Widget Free pre-installed (awesome widgets!)
    • Your own free copy of my latest Music Player app (Sentinel Music Player) pre-installed

details.png

This ROM has been built to enhance the stock experience, with faster gaming and web browsing performance (no choppyness in Chrome too!), as well as the added benefits of Root access, and an Advanced Power Menu you let you quickly hot-restart, or reboot into Recovery or Bootloader. You cna even skip tracks forward and back while your tablet is asleep by long pressing the Vol+ or Vol- button.

As of version 2.10, enhanced Quick Settings are available (ported from kevdliu's AOSP quick settings for Galaxy Nexus).

Features:
    - Press to directly toggle Wifi and long press to access Wifi settings menu
    - Press to directly toggle Mobile Data and long press to access Mobile Data settings menu
    - Press to directly toggle BT and long press to access BT settings menu
    - Persistent GPS Tile: Press to toggle GPS and long press to access Location settings menu
    - Add Auto Rotation Tile
    - Add Volume Tile (Press to display media volume slider and long press to access Volume settings menu)
    - Add Screen Off Tile
    - Add Ringer Modes Tile
    - Add Torch Tile
    - Reorder the tiles by enabling them in the order you want them to be placed (first enabled toggle will be placed first etc.)
    - New softkeys

I've also included a free copy of Sentinel Music Player, which I am about to launch on the Android Market. This app lets you quickly browse for music on your device by Artist, Album, Genre, or even use it's inbuilt file manager to browse all the files and on your device. Included is the ability to control your music from the lock-screen and toolbar, as well as enable/disable features such as pause/play when headphones are unplugged or plugged in, or only play music via external speakers. this works wonders when using Bluetooth speakers or headphones.

screenshots.png

about.png

powermenu.png

rebootoptions.png

quicksettings.png

bugs.png

There seems to be an issue with systemUI crashing in v2.10 from a fresh install. Please install v2.00 first if you are coming from a different ROM, then flash subsequent versions.

installation.png

To install this ROM you will need to have an unlocked bootloader and a custom Recovery such as TWRP or ClockWorkMod installed (personally I recommend TWRP, I have had issues with restoring backups using CWM). If you haven't yet unlocked your bootloader and installed a custom recovery, I recommend downloading and installing the Nexus 10 Toolkit.

1. Copy the downloaded SentinelROM zip to your Internal Storage.
    2. Boot into your custom recovery
    3. Back up your stock ROM
    4. Factory Reset and wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
    5. Install the ROM and reboot. First boot can take up to 5 minutes.

Note, if you are coming from a stock ROM and have root access, you can back up your user apps and data using Titanium and restore them once you have flashed my ROM. Just be sure to only restore user apps and data, and no system ones as you may break things.

As this ROM uses the stock kernel, there should be no issues with overheating or anything nasty like that, however I am not responsible for any damage/data loss or anything else as a result of flashing, or attempting to flash this ROM.

credits.png

• Thanks very much to all those who have answered my questions through the process of creating my own ROM, you know who you are.
    • A big shout out to the Zooper Widget team for allowing me to cook in the free version. I strongly recommend you check out the Pro version as it really is the best custom widget application I have come across.
    • CyanogenMod for their excellent File Manager.
    • kevdliu for his enhanced Quick Settings menu (which I ported for this ROM)
    • scrosler for the AOSP source.

downloads.png

21/1/13:
    SentinelROM v2.10
    To update from SentinelROM v2.00, simply flash via custom recovery and erase cache/dalvik cache.
    If coming from a different ROM, v2.00 must be flashed and fully booted first.

20/1/13:
    SentinelROM v2.00 (Initial Release)

I hope you enjoy my ROM. If you do, please consider a donation. Even the smallest donations are greatly appreciated and help me to develop for additional devices.
    It's most likely because your CPU is being ramped up constantly. This is the same thing as putting your CPU minimum at a higher frequency (700 or so).

That certainly makes sense. I'll log CPU stats and run the ROM with and without the mod to see what it reveals.
    changelog.png

New development, announcements and pipeline work will be posted on our Facebook page, so be sure to 'like' us if you like SentinelROM :)

21/1/2013:-
    v2.10 - Added enhanced Quick Settings menu. See OP for details
    NOTE: If you are coming from a different ROM, you must install v2.00 first. Allow it to boot fully, then you can go back in to recovery and flash this version (remember to erase your cache/dalvik cache). I hope to have this resolved for the next build.

20/1/2013:-
    v2.00 - Initial Release
    Re: [ROM] [20/1/13] - SentinelROM v2.00 - 4.2.1 - Root - De-Odex - Tweaks - APM - Th

I can finally play NFS with no lag OMG THANK YOU1!!

I was getting sick of playing it because as it got harder the lag mattered more and more. Now I can finally finish the game, I cannot thank you enough for having the seeder mod that I only wish I knew about sooner.

The only suggestion I have is to have a website (if you don't already) and to maybe add some options like the ability to mess with the DPI and whatnot like Paranoid does. Aside from that I cannot think of anything else that this baby needs except for maybe it's own Kernel later on to further improve it's godlyness. Although I doubt you can do too much better since this runs so darn well already.

P.S. Very nice job on the Music Player, I would love to see a Video Player from you that would play many different formats :)

Regards,
    Aaron

Added to the Index for N10
    Good stuff :good: