[Q] To make standard browser NOT mobile??

Search This thread

tatuk

Mar 20, 2011
Toronto
Hello,
I remember there was a solution how to convert standard Acer browser from mobile to regular, but cannot find that.

Anybody helps?

Thank you very much.

Hello,
I remember there was a solution how to convert standard Acer browser from mobile to regular, but cannot find that.

Anybody helps?

Thank you very much.

IIRC there is a button to click "Desktop Sites" within Browser in the settings. I generally just use Firefox.

Sorry if I'm mistaken. :)

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Hello,

Anybody helps?

Thank you very much.

Actually found the proper way of doing it! :)

1. Open the Android Honeycomb browser on your tablet.

2. In the address bar, type: about:debug and press enter.

3. Now open the browser's settings by tapping the icon in the very top-right corner of your screen (it looks like four horizontal lines) and selecting "Settings" from the drop-down menu that appears.

4. On the left side of the screen, tap the section labeled "Debug."

5. On the right side of the screen, tap the item labeled "UAString," then select "Desktop."

6. Press the back button (in the very bottom-left corner of your screen) to exit the browser's settings.

7. In the browser's address bar, type: about:debug once more; this will disable debugging mode and return the browser to its normal state.

Found here: http://blogs.computerworld.com/17882/android_honeycomb_browser_user_agent

Last edited:

Danny2

Jan 6, 2010
Estevan
Excuse my ignorance, but how does this differ from just touching the menu tab in the top right corner, settings,advanced, viewing mode, & selecting desktop?

Last edited:

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
I don't have that in the settings on ICS...

It's even easier in ICS. Open Browser, then when you press the menu button on the top right, one of the options is "Request Desktop Site". When you click it, it will permanently resolve itself as a non-mobile browser to all sites until you return to the menu and click the option again.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
It's even easier in ICS. Open Browser, then when you press the menu button on the top right, one of the options is "Request Desktop Site". When you click it, it will permanently resolve itself as a non-mobile browser to all sites until you return to the menu and click the option again.

The above for me is only slightly true. Some sites i visit will reset this. I Found myself going back in there several times yesterday and toggling this back to desktop.Not sure if its just me experiencing this. But still Its not like its a complicated difficult thing to do.
:p:p

Excuse my ignorance, but how does this differ from just touching the menu tab in the top right corner, settings,advanced, viewing mode, & selecting desktop?

This shows how to gain access to the Android Browsers debugging, which has more options than the standard options. The UA string is the user agent string websites look for when determining which website to send you to, desktop or mobile. Changing that setting allows you to permanently set the browser to desktop mode.

This trick also works on ICS and is more permanent than clicking "Request desktop site"

ctenorman

Aug 16, 2011
If running ICS, try using ICS Browser+. Contains all the goodness of the ICS browser, but let's you set the viewing mode to tablet or desktop. Nice!