Dosbox Turbo - Xplay update

Search This thread

FTAiii

May 10, 2011
Singapore
Dosbox Turbo was just updated to allow Xperia Play button mapping / screenshot of the new mapping page attached

Attachments

• dosbox-screen.jpg
    dosbox-screen.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3,156

FTAiii

May 10, 2011
Singapore
It doesn't seem to allow for different mapping profiles for different games, just 1 generic mapping, but agree - lots of possibilities !

I'm gonna go work up some mappings for Ultima IV !

tekken179

Dec 14, 2010
Banbridge
Ahh i tried to search for people discussing this and i didn't find anything and posted a topic lmao... some1 shared the link to here.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
$2.99 tempting. Now while Wing Commander was already said.. Ill say another that I could see myself playing..

Shufflepuck Cafe and Bar Games!

Hrm.. Install Win95.. yes this could have some options..

Last edited:

tekken179

Dec 14, 2010
Banbridge
Just bought it myself

been playing

commander keen
jill of the jungle
sim city 2000
monster bash
castle of the winds
daggerfell

:D

metcard

May 26, 2010
Does this mean you could play Daytona USA on the xplay?
I remember playing Daytone USA in DOS mode back in the day.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Ok with the on screen mouse, I just got done playing Nukewar (Fun fun game)

Playing Bargames right now. Need to map the X to be the enter button.

Also learned the option use the dpad as an input toggle is worth using. Easier for those up down left rights in the game.

Profile mapping WOULD be nice.

Edit: Ok one flaw in this program.. How on earth can I map the space bar or the enter key to a button...? So many games play like this.

Last edited:

TheVicious

May 31, 2010
Could someone check Sensbile World Of Soccer 98, Manchester United The Double and Lous 1,2,3 ? How does it works ? I thinking about buying this emulator.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Could someone check Sensbile World Of Soccer 98, Manchester United The Double and Lous 1,2,3 ? How does it works ? I thinking about buying this emulator.

So far, every game I have tried worked without config. Also Any GoG game that uses dosbox works. (Oooo I forgot.. I can play Dungeon Keeper on android now)

ONLY issue I have seen be meh, is that I cant map enter or spacebar to a gamepad key. Also has sometimes an issue with screen rotation. (Gets stuck in landscape mode sometimes when I NEED it vertical while I type on keyboard) Minor gripe, but so far its solid.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Just contacted the dev of dosbox turbo with the comments from this thread. He said the ability to map enter and spacebar will be in the next release. Also I asked about the possible profile loading for those who needs "x" mapping for "x" game.

rubbergnome

Oct 23, 2011
Oh god, if this thing can actually run daggerfall fullspeed I'm gonna cry. Did anyone try that? How does it run? And what about the controls? On andosbox it ran really slow, and I couldn't get some of the controls to even work.

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
Hello Everybody,

I'm the author of DosBox Turbo. One of the members here kindly pointed out this thread to me today and suggested I drop by.

Wanted to let you know that I'm sorry for leaving out the "Enter" and "Space" mappings, it just slipped my mind! :eek: But, the good news is, I'm finishing up a quick bugfix release (v1.2.1) and some of the new Xperia Play specific features I already have completed include:

• Ability to map Enter & Space to an Xperia Button
  • Ability to see what current button mappings are w/o having to select each one.

Once I'm finished testing this release, I'll push it out to the Android Market (sometime on Mon or Tue).

I'd be very interested to hear your feedback/suggestions for new features, as I do not have an Xperia Play, so I'm just coding this stuff up without really having a chance to test it. Some of the new features I have planned for the very near future include being able to use the Analog touchpad on the Xperia Play as a true analog joystick, as well as supporting saving button/configuration profiles.

Cheers,
Gene

Mael5trom

Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to drop in and let us know what you have in the pipeline, i actually just bought your app earlier today and have been playing raptor call of shadows, im also looking around for other dos classics i missed when i was younger, the games i would never probably bother with on a pc haha.

the suggested improvements are pretty much everything i could ask for off the top of my head, keep up the good work.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Gene.. Question, Can one do a Ctrl+Alt+Del? Also later down the road, a "windows" key could be good.

Been fiddling with this booting of Windows 95 lol. Another thing that could be nice is a "reset dosbox" option in menu vs "exit" and reloading.

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
Gene.. Question, Can one do a Ctrl+Alt+Del? Also later down the road, a "windows" key could be good.

Been fiddling with this booting of Windows 95 lol. Another thing that could be nice is a "reset dosbox" option in menu vs "exit" and reloading.

As far as I'm aware, DosBox proper doesn't support a reset function or CTRL-ALT-DEL (correct me if I'm wrong). I did a bit of research on this, and it seems to be somewhat difficult to implement (reference this thread over in the DosBox forums) for various reasons. On Android, it would be possible to kill the app and restart it via a button, but it wouldn't be much different than hitting exit and starting over. I'll look into a way of cleanly implementing such a feature in a future version if you guys feel it would be beneficial.

By the way, there is a thread over on the ASUS transformer forums with some people having success running Windows 95/98. I also recorded a video of an old version of DosBox Turbo running Windows 95. I apologize in advance for the poor video quality and lack of sound (I was using an old camera phone to record it).

Edit: I forgot to answer your Q. about the windows key. I'll add the windows key for you extreme users running Windows. =)

Last edited:
Reactions: danlivesey

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to drop in and let us know what you have in the pipeline, i actually just bought your app earlier today and have been playing raptor call of shadows, im also looking around for other dos classics i missed when i was younger, the games i would never probably bother with on a pc haha.

the suggested improvements are pretty much everything i could ask for off the top of my head, keep up the good work.

Sure! Happy to drop in an answer some questions. I'm a big RTS Fan (Warcraft II, etc). In case there are any other RTS fans here, I can certainly recommend playing Warcraft II and set the Mouse Tracking mode to "absolute" and in the Gesture Configuration map the Double-Click to "right click". This will allow you to tap once for left click, and double-tap for rightclicks to move units. Long Press and drag your finger to highlight units. Makes playing RTS games very comfortable on the Touchscreen alone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everybody,

I'm the author of DosBox Turbo. One of the members here kindly pointed out this thread to me today and suggested I drop by.

Wanted to let you know that I'm sorry for leaving out the "Enter" and "Space" mappings, it just slipped my mind! :eek: But, the good news is, I'm finishing up a quick bugfix release (v1.2.1) and some of the new Xperia Play specific features I already have completed include:

• Ability to map Enter & Space to an Xperia Button
    • Ability to see what current button mappings are w/o having to select each one.

Once I'm finished testing this release, I'll push it out to the Android Market (sometime on Mon or Tue).

I'd be very interested to hear your feedback/suggestions for new features, as I do not have an Xperia Play, so I'm just coding this stuff up without really having a chance to test it. Some of the new features I have planned for the very near future include being able to use the Analog touchpad on the Xperia Play as a true analog joystick, as well as supporting saving button/configuration profiles.

Cheers,
    Gene
    Dosbox Turbo was just updated to allow Xperia Play button mapping / screenshot of the new mapping page attached
    Has anyone tried to run this great app with games in iso files?

I have "Novastorm", a cool dos game, but it's on iso.

I manage to run it on Windows with D-Fend, but i'm with difficulties on android.

Takes in advance.

Sure, ISO images can be mounted in DosBox.
    An example of mounting an ISO image in DosBox Turbo would be:
    Code:
    imgmount d "/sdcard/MyISO.iso" -t iso
    Which would mount the iso image as a new drive letter d:

Click on the link above for additional information (ie. bin/cue images, etc).

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Hey Guys,

can anyone explain me how to run Dungeon Keeper on DosBox Turbo?

I´m getting stuck on the Screen with the CD and the question mark :/

I have the version from gog.com and on my PC it´s all fine, but i have no idea how to run it on my SGSII

Wish I could help you here, but I've no idea how GOG packages their games. I can tell you this, on the non-GOG version of Dungeon Keeper, you need to have both the installation directory and the final game directory on your Android phone. I generally like to perform the install on Android instead of the PC, as just copying over the final installed directory from the PC is not enough and results in the CD question mark screen.

My suggestion would be to try to perform the install within DosBox Turbo and see if that resolves the problem.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Hi. Brilliant app... I just have one small issue :(

On the Galaxy S III I'm running UFO : Enemy Unknown with absolute mouse positioning and the mouse cursor doesn't *quite* reach the top or bottom of the screen (in landscape mode), which means you can't scroll up or down in the tactical missions. So frustrating because it's so close to being perfect! I've been waiting for the chance to play UFO on a phone for a LONG time :D

I've been using relative mouse mode as a workaround of course but it works much better in absolute mode :)

I know it's an experimental feature but would there be any chance you could take a look?

For technical reasons, when reaching the edge of the screen (top or bottom edge) with your finger and due to the way the touchscreen works, you may (or may not) get that final edge pixel coordinate before your finger moves off the touchscreen. The way to solve this is to use the "Screen Scaling Factor" at set it to something like 95%. You'll want to create just a little 'buffer zone' around the screen where your finger can move and still register. Make sure you tell DosBox Turbo to keep the screen centered as well. Hope this helps!
    I just released an update to DB Turbo (v1.3.4) with the following features:
    • NUMPAD now mappable to Xperia Play buttons
    • Improvements to Absolute Mouse tracking
    • Can now hold right click (ie. double-tap and hold + drag)
    • Editing of dosbox.conf in manual mode via system-wide editor.
    • Some optimizations resulting in small speed increase (hey every bit helps!! ;) )

The optional DosBox Manager got an update as well, so you can now add your own custom Dos covers. Here's a screenshot:
    device20120417134340.png

As far as I'm aware, DosBox proper doesn't support a reset function or CTRL-ALT-DEL (correct me if I'm wrong). I did a bit of research on this, and it seems to be somewhat difficult to implement (reference this thread over in the DosBox forums) for various reasons. On Android, it would be possible to kill the app and restart it via a button, but it wouldn't be much different than hitting exit and starting over. I'll look into a way of cleanly implementing such a feature in a future version if you guys feel it would be beneficial.

By the way, there is a thread over on the ASUS transformer forums with some people having success running Windows 95/98. I also recorded a video of an old version of DosBox Turbo running Windows 95. I apologize in advance for the poor video quality and lack of sound (I was using an old camera phone to record it).

Edit: I forgot to answer your Q. about the windows key. I'll add the windows key for you extreme users running Windows. =)