[Q] HTC One returning to stock questions

Search This thread

N3Gruj1989

May 29, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to whole rooting and stuff so excuse me for my probably noob and dumb questions..

I own a HTC One for a year now I believe, and I wanted to give the rooting thing a try.
So I unlocked my One, and installed a custom recovery (TWRP).
I didn't do alot with it, had a stock version af android with sense, no custom roms or anything, only used root acces for the cerberus app.
The other day HTC released a new version af the stock software, I believe 4.19.401.11.
Since I'm not doing anything with the unlocked phone I want to get it back to stock again.

I am on android 4.4 with sense 5.5 now, android version 4.19.401.9, hboot 1.56

My fastboot getvar all:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.23.3263.28
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.19.401.9
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:-
(bootloader) imei: -
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__E11
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4135mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-4dab9d12
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

I found this guide to get back to stock: http://www.htc1guru.com/guides/return-stock-guide/
There it works with S-off, with rumrunner to get s-off but I read that rumrunner wont work with hboot 1.56, sadly I have 1.56..
In that guide you have to get s-off, downgrade to another hboot (1.44) and use a RUU with android version 1.28 or 1.29 to go to stock again.

But, in another topic I found this:
@crushalot hey mate did you realize that there are now 4.19.xxx RUU's available on http://androidruu.com/?developer=M7# ? :D

for those who are interested: here's the link to the WWE 4.19.401.9 RUU
http://androidruu.com/getdownload.p...10.38r.1157.04L_release_353069_signed_2-1.exe

That is an RUU for exactly my phone I believe.

So now my question: Can I run that RUU, in the way that is written in the htc1guru return to stock guide (via fastboot) and go back to stock again? With a (re)locked bootloader, and receive OTA updates again?

I hope my question and all the information I have given is clear! If not feel free to ask me below!

Greetings.

mb_guy

Sep 6, 2008
Winnipeg
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to whole rooting and stuff so excuse me for my probably noob and dumb questions..

I own a HTC One for a year now I believe, and I wanted to give the rooting thing a try.
So I unlocked my One, and installed a custom recovery (TWRP).
I didn't do alot with it, had a stock version af android with sense, no custom roms or anything, only used root acces for the cerberus app.
The other day HTC released a new version af the stock software, I believe 4.19.401.11.
Since I'm not doing anything with the unlocked phone I want to get it back to stock again.

I am on android 4.4 with sense 5.5 now, android version 4.19.401.9, hboot 1.56

My fastboot getvar all:

I found this guide to get back to stock: http://www.htc1guru.com/guides/return-stock-guide/
There it works with S-off, with rumrunner to get s-off but I read that rumrunner wont work with hboot 1.56, sadly I have 1.56..
In that guide you have to get s-off, downgrade to another hboot (1.44) and use a RUU with android version 1.28 or 1.29 to go to stock again.

But, in another topic I found this:

That is an RUU for exactly my phone I believe.

So now my question: Can I run that RUU, in the way that is written in the htc1guru return to stock guide (via fastboot) and go back to stock again? With a (re)locked bootloader, and receive OTA updates again?

I hope my question and all the information I have given is clear! If not feel free to ask me below!

Greetings.

You are still essentially stock, you will only need to flash the stock recovery from 4.19.401.9 , unfortunately I did a quick google and couldn't fine one. If you have the OTA or ruu you can extract the recovery.img to use. unlocked bootloader and root is fine. Then when the version .11 is released by your carrier you will be able to install.

SiaoNang

Feb 25, 2014
You are still essentially stock, you will only need to flash the stock recovery from 4.19.401.9 , unfortunately I did a quick google and couldn't fine one. If you have the OTA or ruu you can extract the recovery.img to use. unlocked bootloader and root is fine. Then when the version .11 is released by your carrier you will be able to install.

Hi mb_guy, i have a twrp backup which i can restore, which could allow me to return to stock with superuser root access.
If i flash a stock recovery, will it remove my root access and receive future OTA? (if i am not mistaken, i tried flashing the stock recovery, and relocked the bootloader, but i just can't remove the superuser app :crying: )

Thanks.

below are my phone informations :
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.23.3263.28
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.20.707.6
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0714000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__044
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4123mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-59adc32b
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

N3Gruj1989

May 29, 2013

I have found the RUU of 4.19.401.9 (it is in the link i posted in my opening post, from androidruu).
(http://androidruu.com/getdownload.p...10.38r.1157.04L_release_353069_signed_2-1.exe)

I found a guide to extract the rom.zip from a RUU file, but it wont work for me. Can someone extract the rom.zip file for me and upload it here?
Only flashing the recovery file sounds like loads easyer than the entire guide i found by htc1guru.

And what if i want to re-lock the bootloader and get rid of root? Can i do that too?

mb_guy

Sep 6, 2008
Winnipeg
I have found the RUU of 4.19.401.9 (it is in the link i posted in my opening post, from androidruu).
(http://androidruu.com/getdownload.p...10.38r.1157.04L_release_353069_signed_2-1.exe)

I found a guide to extract the rom.zip from a RUU file, but it wont work for me. Can someone extract the rom.zip file for me and upload it here?
Only flashing the recovery file sounds like loads easyer than the entire guide i found by htc1guru.

And what if i want to re-lock the bootloader and get rid of root? Can i do that too?

You don't want rom.zip you want recovery.img it's likely in the firmware folder. You should be able to unroot from twrp. You can re lock the boot loader, but it will say relocked, I would just leave it unlocked.

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur

Ok it's easy
Retry run that ruu exe file goto temp folder in c-Windows- user- app data - local - temp find in some folders you will get it but it's not worth it as it's encrypted so next time you will ask how to decrypt it
So better Google HTC One stock recovery download it flash it
2 if you want unroot mostly super user or rooting apps have methods in their settings try them
3 locking boot loader is last step after recovery flash
Unlocked bootloader not prevent future OTA
So no need for relock bootloader
OTA need stock recovery + unmodified system

HTC One 1.56 S-Off MaximusHD 33

N3Gruj1989

May 29, 2013
You don't want rom.zip you want recovery.img it's likely in the firmware folder. You should be able to unroot from twrp. You can re lock the boot loader, but it will say relocked, I would just leave it unlocked.

But the recovery.img file is in the rom.zip file correct?
So i have to extract the rom.zip file out of the RUU first to get the recovery.img out of the rom.zip file.
Or can it be done a much easyer way?

N3Gruj1989

May 29, 2013
Ok it's easy
Retry run that ruu exe file goto temp folder in c-Windows- user- app data - local - temp find in some folders you will get it but it's not worth it as it's encrypted so next time you will ask how to decrypt it
So better Google HTC One stock recovery download it flash it
2 if you want unroot mostly super user or rooting apps have methods in their settings try them
3 locking boot loader is last step after recovery flash
Unlocked bootloader not prevent future OTA
So no need for relock bootloader
OTA need stock recovery + unmodified system

HTC One 1.56 S-Off MaximusHD 33

I googled HTC One stock recovery, but i didn't find a recovery for my HTC One build version, or are all the recovery.img the same?
Because I need a recovery.img for the 4.19.401.9 HTC_E11 (NL) version.

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
So i have to extract the rom.zip file out of the RUU first to get the recovery.img out of the rom.zip file.

You can't get the recovery from the rom.zip as the zip is encrypted.

I downloaded the 4.19.401.9 firmware.zip and extracted the recovery from it.

Here is the recovery : http://sourceforge.net/projects/htcone/files/Recovery/4.19.401.9/recovery.img/download

Now you have two options:

With the RUU that you have
1. relocked the bootloader
2. run the RUU to go back to stock
3. do the OTA

With the recovery only
1. fastboot flash the recovery
2. not necessary to remove the SuperSU (but you will lose root after OTA)
3. or remove root (open the SuperSU app, - settings - scroll down - select Full unroot if you think it's better to remove it before OTA
4. do the OTA

Last edited:
Reactions: N3Gruj1989

SiaoNang

Feb 25, 2014
Remove root by flashing stock firmware

Hi guys, i did some searching and found this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1773659
according to this thread if i flash in stock firmware it will remove the root?
So my question is, if i restore my phone to the rooted stock state > relock the bootloader > flash in the stock firmware, in theory it should return the phone to stock state right? just to confirm if the above thread works for the HTC One

Thanks.

N3Gruj1989

May 29, 2013

Here is the recovery : http://sourceforge.net/projects/htcone/files/Recovery/4.19.401.9/recovery.img/download

3. do the OTA

With the recovery only
3. or remove root (open the SuperSU app, - settings - scroll down - select Full unroot if you think it's better to remove it before OTA
4. do the OTA
Thank you very much!
When I unlocked, rooted and installed the TWRP recovery I lost the stock flashlight app and calculator app and some others.
With the RUU i will get them back i think, with the other option, flashing recovery it wont return right? And after the OTA?

Is there any risk in running that RUU?

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you very much!
When I unlocked, rooted and installed the TWRP recovery I lost the stock flashlight app and calculator app and some others.
With the RUU i will get them back i think, with the other option, flashing recovery it wont return right? And after the OTA?

Is there any risk in running that RUU?

You should have said this earlier. When you lost the some apps that reside in data/preload folder means you don't already have a proper stock, OTA most probably will be a fail attempt.

Flashing the recovery alone cannot guarantee a successful OTA update due to those missing apps.

The best option that you have is run the RUU unless you can find any nandroid backup for the current ROM.

For me, I will choose to run the RUU as that is always the best option when it is the right RUU for your device.

Make a backup to PC all your storage content in case you lose them by running the RUU (but unlikely you will lose them)

With the RUU ... the procedure is :

1- in fastboot mode - relock the bootloader : run command fastboot oem lock

2- in fastboot mode - flash/run/double click the RUU; follow the updater instruction - next,update,bla,bla,bla until it finish

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Hi guys, i did some searching and found this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1773659
according to this thread if i flash in stock firmware it will remove the root?
So my question is, if i restore my phone to the rooted stock state > relock the bootloader > flash in the stock firmware, in theory it should return the phone to stock state right? just to confirm if the above thread works for the HTC One

Thanks.

If it is the firmware.zip alone, no .. it won't remove your root app.
When people say stock firmware it is always mean stock ROM.

To remove root, just simply select Full unroot in SuperSU settings. (asumming your rooting app is SuperSU as shown in that thread).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. do the OTA

With the recovery only
    4. do the OTA