[Q] Do I have 4G or not?

Search This thread

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
Hi guys, I recently bought a Xperia Z1 Compact. I'm still using the same SIM card as my old One X which I got almost two years ago. Since getting the Z1C, I have never seen LTE or 4G displayed in the status bar and it's mostly always been H+. I am with Orange Switzerland and they have 4G coverage where I am and it's available to all their customers as long as their phone supports it.
I did a Speedtest and apparently I'm getting around 10Mbps which according to this article: http://www.zdnet.com/au/speed-test-how-fast-is-4g-really-7000007995/ qualified for 4G. But then shouldn't it display LTE in the status bar?

I've chosen "4G (preferred)/WCDMA/GSM" in the settings but when choosing Orange 4G in Network Operators, it would say: "Could not connect to the selected network. Make that the SIM card is inserted and that the selected network is available."

Could someone please let me know if I really have LTE or not and if not, how I should proceed? Thanks!

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Ask them what LTE frequency band is/are available in your area. And compare it against the Xperia Z1 Compact. The supported bands should be

LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600

Hi guys, I recently bought a Xperia Z1 Compact. I'm still using the same SIM card as my old One X which I got almost two years ago. Since getting the Z1C, I have never seen LTE or 4G displayed in the status bar and it's mostly always been H+. I am with Orange Switzerland and they have 4G coverage where I am and it's available to all their customers as long as their phone supports it.
I did a Speedtest and apparently I'm getting around 10Mbps which according to this article: http://www.zdnet.com/au/speed-test-how-fast-is-4g-really-7000007995/ qualified for 4G. But then shouldn't it display LTE in the status bar?

I've chosen "4G (preferred)/WCDMA/GSM" in the settings but when choosing Orange 4G in Network Operators, it would say: "Could not connect to the selected network. Make that the SIM card is inserted and that the selected network is available."

Could someone please let me know if I really have LTE or not and if not, how I should proceed? Thanks!

moesus

Nov 4, 2009
I don't know about Switzerland, but here in Germany, whenever I get an LTE connection it displays as "4G" in the status bar. (I also get "H+" from time to time)

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
Ask them what LTE frequency band is/are available in your area. And compare it against the Xperia Z1 Compact. The supported bands should be

LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600

Orange Switzerland supports 800, 1800 and 2600 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks so maybe my SIM card doesn't support LTE. But I was under the impression that 3G (or H+) compatible SIM cards are also compatible with LTE?

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
no, at least here in brazil, if i want to use 4g, i have to ask for a 4g slim card. currently, im using a 3g sim, and it also wonto conect to 4g , even if its available for me to use it.

Okay, thanks for your confirmation. It's just that I saw these two sites: http://optus.custhelp.com/app/answe...g/4g:-general-device-&-sim-card-compatibility and https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/FAQ/Mobilephonesandplans/postpaid/4GService which both state that a 3G sim card is enough to get 4G connectivity on a compatible phone. But perhaps it's different with each carrier?

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Okay, thanks for your confirmation. It's just that I saw these two sites: http://optus.custhelp.com/app/answe...g/4g:-general-device-&-sim-card-compatibility and https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/FAQ/Mobilephonesandplans/postpaid/4GService which both state that a 3G sim card is enough to get 4G connectivity on a compatible phone. But perhaps it's different with each carrier?

i may be wrong, but that link only says that you can join a 4g network with your 3g sim, but it doesnt say nothing about using data plan on 4g.

here in brasil, we HAVE to buy a 4g card, to use 4g data plan. dont know if i can use 4g networks with my 3g sim card just for talking, thou.

go to about -> status, and see in wich network youre conected.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Here in our country we have 2 network operators that provide 4g LTE the first one can only connect to LTE using a 4g sim card. Using a regular sim you can only connect up to H+. And the other one let's you connect to 4g even with just a regular sim card although it throttles your data whenever you reach 1gb usage in 1 day hahaha! Yeah I know pretty useless.

Reactions: marcolorenzo

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
I have also Orange contract in Switzerland. And I get 4G in most places. Where do you live?
However I received a new simcard (since I got the normal size in my S2). You might want to contact orange customer service or go to an orange shop.

bendash

Mar 6, 2010
Something similar is the case with my Z1 Compact. I'm in Hungary, Central Europe, and never saw the 4G / LTE sign on my phone. I had an old SIM card that I've cut to the appropriate size, which worked, but I suspected that maybe it wasn't 4G-capable, so got a new one from T-Mobile last weekend.

Now I have a 4G-capable SIM card, 4G data plan (newly registered just two weeks ago, and it's already running according to my T-Mobile account info on their website), and there is 4G coverage in Budapest, the capital city, and still, when I try to choose the 4G T-Mobile H network, it tries to connect and then drops back to 3G.

I'm going to wait until this weekend and then get someone from T-Mobile on the phone about this.

Last edited:

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
I have also Orange contract in Switzerland. And I get 4G in most places. Where do you live?
However I received a new simcard (since I got the normal size in my S2). You might want to contact orange customer service or go to an orange shop.

I'm in Luzern. My friends who are also with Orange can get 4G. I guess I'll contact them but I might wait until my contract expires in a couple of months since I might change carriers. No point buying a new SIM card now if I'm gonna change later. Thanks everyone for the help!

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Something similar is the case with my Z1 Compact. I'm in Hungary, Central Europe, and never saw the 4G / LTE sign on my phone. I had an old SIM card that I've cut to the appropriate size, which worked, but I suspected that maybe it wasn't 4G-capable, so got a new one from T-Mobile last weekend.

Now I have a 4G-capable SIM card, 4G data plan (newly registered just two weeks ago, and it's already running according to my T-Mobile account info on their website), and there is 4G coverage in Budapest, the capital city, and still, when I try to choose the 4G T-Mobile H network, it tries to connect and then drops back to 3G.

I'm going to wait until this weekend and then get someone from T-Mobile on the phone about this.

Check you APN settings.

bendash

Mar 6, 2010
Check you APN settings.

I did, and it's the suggested internet.telekom as it is in the documentation on T-Mobile's 4G settings:

RbmUur5l.png
eirjBxEl.png
Ql9DgUAl.png

This is the message I get when I try to connect to the 4G network:

3W9uajvl.png

bendash

Mar 6, 2010
I've figured out why I don't have 4G at the moment.

I have a pay as you go plan, not a monthly plan, and apparently I need a monthly plan to have 4G with the data plan that I use.

Kind of sucks, but at least now I know that it's not a setup, phone or SIM card problem.

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
So I finally went to an Orange shop. The guy there was very helpful but he said that I shouldn't need a new SIM card for 4G to work. He then checked various settings but everything seemed to be in order. In the end, he gave me a new SIM card and it worked! I was surprised that I didn't need to pay for the new SIM card. So now 4G is working as advertised :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here in our country we have 2 network operators that provide 4g LTE the first one can only connect to LTE using a 4g sim card. Using a regular sim you can only connect up to H+. And the other one let's you connect to 4g even with just a regular sim card although it throttles your data whenever you reach 1gb usage in 1 day hahaha! Yeah I know pretty useless.