E970 hardware fault? Unable to register on network

Search This thread

amrando

Feb 27, 2012
Calgary
hi all-

It appears my E970 may have kicked the bucket. I have been running CM11 for months now, on Sunday the phone gave a BSOD unexpectedly. This happens about once a month or so with CM, no big deal- or so I thought.

However since then I am unable to register on the Rogers network. My phone simply stays in Emergency Calls Only mode. Wifi works fine, Bluetooth, I am able to browse, read emails, play music.. everything works EXCEPT being able to register on the cellular network, make phone calls and send texts. I cannot manually register the network or in automatic. I have contacted support, tried different APNs, replaced the Rogers SIM and now tried a Telus SIM as well- all the same result; the phone is unable to register to the network. Now I have also done a factory wipe and reload of CM11 M6 for the E970, still the same result. :confused:

Since the E970 is a sealed phone with the side-port for SIM & mSD, what is the likelihood of the SIM card socket being damaged, or a radio being faulty? I have recently issues with the SD-card randomly dismounting, is this an indicator the card readers may have been failing?

Since the Optimus G is only ~18 months old, this may be the first phone I've ever had that hardware failed before I replaced it.. :( Has anybody else had similar hardware issues with reading SIMs or network registration? Was the BSOD a cause, or symptom?

Last edited:

amrando

Feb 27, 2012
Calgary
hi all-

It appears my E970 may have kicked the bucket. I have been running CM11 for months now, on Sunday the phone gave a BSOD unexpectedly. This happens about once a month or so with CM, no big deal- or so I thought.

However since then I am unable to register on the Rogers network. My phone simply stays in Emergency Calls Only mode. Wifi works fine, Bluetooth, I am able to browse, read emails, play music.. everything works EXCEPT being able to register on the cellular network, make phone calls and send texts. I cannot manually register the network or in automatic. I have contacted support, tried different APNs, replaced the Rogers SIM and now tried a Telus SIM as well- all the same result; the phone is unable to register to the network. Now I have also done a factory wipe and reload of CM11 M6 for the E970, still the same result. :confused:

Since the E970 is a sealed phone with the side-port for SIM & mSD, what is the likelihood of the SIM card socket being damaged, or a radio being faulty? I have recently issues with the SD-card randomly dismounting, is this an indicator the card readers may have been failing?

Since the Optimus G is only ~18 months old, this may be the first phone I've ever had that hardware failed before I replaced it.. :( Has anybody else had similar hardware issues with reading SIMs or network registration? Was the BSOD a cause, or symptom?

UPDATE: While digging through the service menu, I've discovered the IMEI has been wiped to 0. So, how is this recoverable on an E970? Does CWM generate EFS backups? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Maverick923

Dec 10, 2010
UPDATE: While digging through the service menu, I've discovered the IMEI has been wiped to 0. So, how is this recoverable on an E970? Does CWM generate EFS backups? :rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but as far as I know you need a Jtag to repair the IMEI. I have been able to repair IMEI's that way.

amrando

Feb 27, 2012
Calgary
I could be wrong, but as far as I know you need a Jtag to repair the IMEI. I have been able to repair IMEI's that way.

so essentially, it's bricked and I will have to send it back in to LG to get its EFS partition reloaded? Or is there a method I can use to generate it? The phone boots, loads CM and runs everything else including wifi and bluetooth, it just has no IMEI.

How does a subsystem crash BSOD erase my IMEI anyways? Shouldn't this be hardcoded? :confused:

Last edited:

Maverick923

Dec 10, 2010
so essentially, it's bricked and I will have to send it back in to LG to get its EFS partition reloaded? Or is there a method I can use to generate it? The phone boots, loads CM and runs everything else including wifi and bluetooth, it just has no IMEI.

How does a subsystem crash BSOD erase my IMEI anyways? :confused:

I am not sure, but perhaps a call to LG, or the local repair shop can correct your issue. You can check CL to see if there is anyone around.
As far as the IMEI itself goes, I would imagine it would be written on the box or you should be able to get it from the phone service provider.
So once you have that, you just need someone to write it to the phone. Maybe you wont need a Jtag. That's just how I have repaired them, but there maybe another way. Just remember that google is your friend.

amrando

Feb 27, 2012
Calgary
I am not sure, but perhaps a call to LG, or the local repair shop can correct your issue. You can check CL to see if there is anyone around.
As far as the IMEI itself goes, I would imagine it would be written on the box or you should be able to get it from the phone service provider.
So once you have that, you just need someone to write it to the phone. Maybe you wont need a Jtag. That's just how I have repaired them, but there maybe another way. Just remember that google is your friend.

Well, I know the restore process exists.. it doesn't much help me, because it appears the EFS backups were stored on the internal storage, which was corrupt or erased. So as I mentioned there, will any full recovery backup contain an EFS backup built-in that I can extract or recover? I have a couple from CWM and an older one from TWRP stored on mSD. The additional problem is; I've already restored one CWM backup and still no IMEI..