[Q] Bootloop when power button sometimes pressed

Search This thread

ultimaflux

Aug 18, 2014
Hi everyone!

I think my bootloop problem may be a unique one because it only occurs whenever I press the power button (and I've kinda searched other threads and couldn't find a bootloop issue like mine). But before I explain in depth, here are my specs:

Stock 4.4.4 rom
Rooted, with xposed + gb
ElementalX 1.00 kernel

This problem is a randomly occurring one; when my phone is fine and I press the power button, it almost usually goes into a bootloop. It can either stay on the google screen or last all the way up to the x-boot one. Sometimes from the x-boot screen, it'll reboot again. So I realized that if I randomly press the power button a few times (usually trial and error), the problem goes away sometimes and I boot normally again. However, if I hit the power button again for any reason, the bootloop issue relapses.

Also another thing to note is sometimes when my phone is switched on and operating normally and I press the button, it doesn't always reboot immediately. Sometimes it behaves as if the power button is held down and the power menu pops up in the lockscreen... then subsequently it boot loops.

So I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue to do with the button itself (because I very rarely ever drop my phone. Perhaps about 3 times in the past 8-9 months since Dec 2013?) or it's a software issue...which will mean I've to reflash my stock rom.

Anyone with a similar issue please help! It's kinda driving me nuts cos I can't even unlock my phone without triggering a bootloop...:crying:

kisetsu17

Dec 8, 2011
Hi everyone!

I think my bootloop problem may be a unique one because it only occurs whenever I press the power button (and I've kinda searched other threads and couldn't find a bootloop issue like mine). But before I explain in depth, here are my specs:

Stock 4.4.4 rom
Rooted, with xposed + gb
ElementalX 1.00 kernel

This problem is a randomly occurring one; when my phone is fine and I press the power button, it almost usually goes into a bootloop. It can either stay on the google screen or last all the way up to the x-boot one. Sometimes from the x-boot screen, it'll reboot again. So I realized that if I randomly press the power button a few times (usually trial and error), the problem goes away sometimes and I boot normally again. However, if I hit the power button again for any reason, the bootloop issue relapses.

Also another thing to note is sometimes when my phone is switched on and operating normally and I press the button, it doesn't always reboot immediately. Sometimes it behaves as if the power button is held down and the power menu pops up in the lockscreen... then subsequently it boot loops.

So I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue to do with the button itself (because I very rarely ever drop my phone. Perhaps about 3 times in the past 8-9 months since Dec 2013?) or it's a software issue...which will mean I've to reflash my stock rom.

Anyone with a similar issue please help! It's kinda driving me nuts cos I can't even unlock my phone without triggering a bootloop...:crying:

Might want to send it in for repair. Mine had the same symptoms about a month ago--spontaneously displaying the power menu, boot loops where I'd need to do a hardware reboot (or whatever it's called, vol up + power) and sometimes it won't wake the screen when I press the power button and act as if I turned it off. Tried to reflash recovery and change roms, same banana. Then suddenly it won't go out of bootloop, sometimes gets to the x-boot and sometimes only until the Google logo. Sent it for repair and lo and behold, hardware problem. I think this is really inherent on some older Nexus 5's with the wobbly power button.

I suggest you do a nandroid backup while you have the chance. Never had a chance myself :(

ultimaflux

Aug 18, 2014
Might want to send it in for repair. Mine had the same symptoms about a month ago--spontaneously displaying the power menu, boot loops where I'd need to do a hardware reboot (or whatever it's called, vol up + power) and sometimes it won't wake the screen when I press the power button and act as if I turned it off. Tried to reflash recovery and change roms, same banana. Then suddenly it won't go out of bootloop, sometimes gets to the x-boot and sometimes only until the Google logo. Sent it for repair and lo and behold, hardware problem. I think this is really inherent on some older Nexus 5's with the wobbly power button.

I suggest you do a nandroid backup while you have the chance. Never had a chance myself :(

sigh, i reflashed stock rom and the problem persisted. i can't even stay on the bootloader screen without it rebooting itself all over again. i guess it's an old nexus 5 hardware problem like you said :/ thanks for sharing!