Any interest in this?

Search This thread

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
Well, considering they said it was acting like a farraday cage I don't think they were able to overcome the materials blocking signal considering the antennae's are in our battery door. Plus , I am sure cost became and issue as well . Pretty tough to manufacture something on a small scale and still make it cheap enough for people to purchase and still make a profit.

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
Well, considering they said it was acting like a farraday cage I don't think they were able to overcome the materials blocking signal considering the antennae's are in our battery door. Plus , I am sure cost became and issue as well . Pretty tough to manufacture something on a small scale and still make it cheap enough for people to purchase and still make a profit.

Figured that's what happened, but still nice to hear it from OP :D.

SteveG12543

Recognized Contributor
Sorry, was busy at the race track all weekend breaking the new bike in. :)

Anyway, the only material that we could mold properly was the carbon fiber, which effectively blocks the radio signal.

Ah well, it was worth a shot... :-(

Lucky!

Too bad it didn't work out though. Thanks for giving it a go!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA Premium.

1heffer

Mar 2, 2011
Pennsylvania

Anyway, the only material that we could mold properly was the carbon fiber, which effectively blocks the radio signal.

Did you try a 10 oz fiberglass. I think that's right, ten ounce. I built boats for awhile, we had a very fine glass cloth that actually looked like carbon fiber except for the color. There's pigment for that. It felt like silk, very easy to mold into tight corners. Maybe it was just called lightweight, not sure now.

Sent from my ZTPAD ZT-282 (Slatedroid Market Script) using xda premium

RLKirk

Sep 27, 2008
Knoxville

What about molding the carbon fiber weave around the sides and leaving the back door uncovered or feeling it in with just epoxy to make it transparent or something that would still look sleek and would save the corners of the phone from drops I would pay for that :)

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
What about molding the carbon fiber weave around the sides and leaving the back door uncovered or feeling it in with just epoxy to make it transparent or something that would still look sleek and would save the corners of the phone from drops I would pay for that :)

Hmmm... Let me talk to him about that... Maybe instead of a complete cover, more of a "perimeter protection" type of deal?

Sad Noob

May 1, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Don't give up

I love the idea of carbon fiber around the sides, top, bottom, AND CORNERS. Those are the areas that take the most abuse in falls. I'm sure you can come up with a lightweight cool looking material for the back that won't interfere with the antennas. You come too far to quit now. When life throws you lemons, get some tequila.

Reactions: dbutters

bzmotoninja83

Nov 11, 2010
Hopewell
The 10oz stuff can be had at autoparts stores. Has a CF type look. And its cheap enough for testing and you dont have to worry about too much excess. In getting a rezound soon and would be down for a case.

Sent from my X10i using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, the process to build a prototype is underway!

In the meantime, here is the site, which is still under construction and will have more content added as time goes on, but its a start:

http://www.performancecarbonfiber.com/
    Ok, some updates...

1) The cases that Daniel has been prototyping for the iPhone 4 are not working out as well as we had hoped. And the issue with them would be worse for the Rezound. The thing is, that this stuff doesn't stretch like regular plastic or vinyl, it is way too strong. So you have to mold in the lip that wraps around the phone and grips it. Well, when you have that, it makes it impossible to remove from the mold without destroying the mold.

2) We have also discovered that pur carbon fiber interferes with the phone's reception. It acts like a Faraday Cage!

However, all is not lost! We are researching different fabrics to find one that looks the same, but doesn't have the electrical properties that Carbon has. Kevlar is one option.

And as far as the molding goes, what may be a good method would be to take your cheap basic $3 eBay snap on case, and lay down the Kevlar and Epoxy over that. Use the case as the mold and put a think layer on top, then vacuum bag it to bond it all as one piece. That guarantees a perfect fit, the softer plastic case would be inside and act as a liner so it won't scratch anything, and you would have a dual-density, single case that should be very impact resistant and look identical to a pure carbon fiber piece. You would have a better fit and actually have better protection this way, so we are gonna prototype that and I will test it out on my Rezound and see how it works.
    I'd be happy to help test:-D

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

Let me see if we can get a couple working test units.
    Any progress on this project?

Couple setbacks on the molding process. It is a lot harder than we thought, which is probably why nobody has released one that costs under $100 before. LOL

That said, we are still testing some things and Daniel is actually pretty confident that he is getting close to having a test unit. Stay tuned.
    I don't see us making a kickstand version. Making multiple parts that have to each be cut and custom fit, that would work and hold up over time, is not something he wants to take on. If we had a CAD machine and an autoclave, that would be different, but Ferrari won't let us borrow theirs so we are SOL. haha

He made a prototype for the iPhone 4 yesterday and it came out pretty good. He is tweaking the mold and finalizing things and then he will tackle the rezound. Once we have a finished product that we are happy with, we will post the pics here and on his website, ramp up the additional molds we will need and then start cranking them out.