How Strong Is The HTC Evo 4G Screen?

Search This thread

j0ckinjz

Nov 9, 2010
NY
My phone is tough as a brick. I've thrown it at a wall and dented the wall and yet my phone was still fine. I do uses cases all the time tho. Used to use the cheap otterbox one but the rubber stretched out, now im using like a $2 hard case from amazon. Used to use a screen protector but took it off due to it peeling and what not.

Somehow my cousin dropped his down stairs and it cracked, idk how that happened tho. I guess the glass has a weakness that if you hit it a certain way, it cracks.

Gyldarts

Jul 17, 2012
Batam
When i got my EVO 4G , it was already scratched, i don't know if the screen is actually strong or not, so i use a screen protector, just in case if it will get more scratches.

lreyes

Jun 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Samsung Galaxy S22
My phone is tough as a brick. I've thrown it at a wall and dented the wall and yet my phone was still fine. I do uses cases all the time tho. Used to use the cheap otterbox one but the rubber stretched out, now im using like a $2 hard case from amazon. Used to use a screen protector but took it off due to it peeling and what not.

Somehow my cousin dropped his down stairs and it cracked, idk how that happened tho. I guess the glass has a weakness that if you hit it a certain way, it cracks.

Yep haha from experience my dad dropped his twice it made a circle in the middle of the screen which sucks like a cracked circle from hitting the edge of the phone and the corners

sent from my DeRpY SuPeRsOnIc

BoostmyXb

Sep 2, 2011
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my screen cracked :eek:
Man i have dropped this phone from at least 4 feet a ton of times and now im seating here and it felt from my lap and cracked.

Oh well time for a new screen i guess, it was all scratched anyhow :silly:

Last edited:

lreyes

Jun 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Samsung Galaxy S22
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my screen cracked :eek:
Man i have dropped this phone from at least 4 feet a ton of times and now im seating here and it felt from my lap and cracked.

Oh well time for a new screen i guess, it was all scratched anyhow :silly:

I know how u feel....I always mistakenly drop mine from 2 feet nothing damaged then a couple days ago I mistakenly dropped it then my SD card is garbage because it some how broke when I dropped my phone....BRAND NEW sandisk class 4 16GB sd card

sent from my DeRpY SuPeRsOnIc

smaw51

Nov 22, 2010
Tempe
I don't use a case anymore and haven't had any issues with my phone no matter how many times I throw it around

BoostmyXb

Sep 2, 2011
Fixed, it looks brand new now, im thinking of giving the 3D to my daughter instead lol

chibamarines

Aug 1, 2012
I've had mine for about a year now, half of that without a screen protector once I was too lazy to buy a new one. Thing still looks great. Sans all those fingerprints. Looks like I need to upgrade to a cleaner set of fingers.

Sonic132

Apr 11, 2012
Mathis
www.twitter.com
The glass screen is seriously easy to chip/shatter.
Had my 4G on my lap and forgot it was there. I got out of my seat and smack; into the pavement.
I freaked, then was relieved that it hadn't completely shattered. Just a few chips.
All after having the screen replaced a couple months ago.
But I love how responsive the screen is compared to plastic screens.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G running JMZ's CM10 ROM.

Jroberts07

Sep 6, 2011
Portland
i had my evo in an otter box and dropped it somehow hit the screen just right a cracked it, however on ebay you can find replacement screens for around $40

Swooperz

Feb 15, 2011
Denver
I don't use a case anymore and haven't had any issues with my phone no matter how many times I throw it around

I have to agree. I only use a screen protector from Zagg and have never used a case for it, yet my EVO is still going strong. I've even sat down many times with it in my back pocket. It's a tough little phone if you ask me. iPhones - now that's a different story. I've cracked 2 screens in 4 years on these guys. :|

WeAreGuns

Sep 4, 2012
is it possible to replace the screen of an evo after it has been cracked by yourself, without taking it to either Sprint or Besty Buy, etc.?

jeedaiscum

May 12, 2010
Yeah, just look up evo 4g digitizer on Amazon, but make sure you order the precut tape. There are also a few YouTube videos explaining how to do it. It's not that hard to fix. My EVOs screen finally cracked the 30th time I dropped it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

brianvillage

Mar 23, 2011
Detroit
I keep my phone in my shirt pocket at work, I work at a tire shop and it's pretty fast paced. It gets dropped basically dailey one way or the other. But its in great shape still. I have a rubber case for it, and no screen protectors. It takes some real gnarly falls too.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

connman

Sep 19, 2011
Flint, Michigan
I used a protector for the first 6-8 months (can't honestly remember exactly how long) took it off and never looked back. It's been dropped, kicked once, sat on, etc. I don't abuse it, but a device that you have with you constantly is going to take some abuse.

I keep it in the Sena leather slipcase, and it looks and acts like new (better actually, because I'm rockin' a JellyBean rom that's sweet).

rpalmerin

Mar 26, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Well, the evo I have was previously my brother's. He never had any screen protectors, cases, nothing.... So is alil banged up of coarse.... But before it was mine, a little one a year ago, he had it in his pocket, tidying his Honda motorcycle home from work one day, and got cut of by a car pulling out of a driveway from an apartment complex.... Well going 45 and getting hit head on practically, he flew 90 feet police approximated, tore his clothes, trashed the sh.. out his bike, cracked the freak out his helmet, everything gone, but this phone,.... And his life. This phone is still in great condition, and I use it every day as an alarm clock. Great phone. All I have to say.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

tobalaz

Jul 17, 2012
Norton
February 2nd 2011 got my Evo 4g.
All I had on it at the time was one of those POS Sprint screen protectors, was going to get an Otterbox off of Amazon.
Got plastered by a semi going 35 mph with my Evo in my hoodie pocket on the 11th, went up and over my van, smashed in the door, shot the van over a lane in the air and landed on the sidewalk. Didn't notice my Evo come out of my hoodie pocket and smack the dash hard enough to dent the plastic on the top of the phone before it landed on the floor.
Kicked the door open, stepped out, reached for my phone to call 911 and I then noticed it on the floor of my van.
Car totaled (on site officer said I shouldn't have survived that much less walk away), 2 days in the hospital with multiple fractured ribs and vertebrae, a sprained ankle and concussion, and yet virtually no damage to such an amazing little phone.
Recently upgraded but I'm keeping it, darn near indestructible, still love that thing and let my nephews and nieces use it to play Angry Birds on.
Needless to say if my Evo could survive that I with slight cosmetic damage I didn't feel the need for an Otterbox anymore.
But yeah, I still keep a stack of 15 cent screen protectors to keep the screen from getting scratched.

slayers_inc

Nov 11, 2013
My Evo has fallen too many times to count. The screen is still intact.
The worst incident was when I was walking from the park to my car and decided
to whipped the Evo out to send a text. It slipped out of my hand and landed on the
pavement edge first.

The damage:
The edge that it landed on is slightly cracked.
The screen now has some dead pixels in the shape of the edge of a face.

I'm impressed and pleased with the durability of this phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Where does it say that's the Evo's screen is gorilla glass?

I've never read that anywhere.

It certainly may be difficult to scratch but that doesn't make it gorilla glass.

Gorilla Glass website here under HTC
    The EVO 4G, EVO 3D and EVO Shift all are listed.

I didn't know that it was Gorilla Glass for the first year of owning my EVO, but was relieved when I found out. Since then, I've been going without a screen protector.
    Just got a HTC Evo 4G last week. I've had it in the Otterbox Defender case since day one. Lately, I've been trying to find a screen protector that covers the whole face of the phone. I've been unsuccessful in doing that. But, a guy was telling me that without a screen protector, the Evo's screen is hard to scratch. He told me that if I kept the phone in the Otterbox (which has a screen protector of it's own), that the phone would most likely never scratch.

Is there any truth to this?

Gorilla Glass is used for the Evo's screen and it's super durable. I used to use a screen protector (which ended up getting pretty scratched up), but I've been going without one for about 6 months and my screen is fine. I guess I really never needed the screen protector in the first place.
    Sand is actually silica not quartz, some sand is up to 90% calcium from coral skeletons but over time that calcium becomes silica
    Edit: BTW silica heated and pressed/rolled = glass that's why sand will tear the hell out of glass its fine rough edged and very hard at that size silica crystals are very hard compared to most minerals not quite as hard as diamond but on the upper middle of the scale

Sent From My EViLizED-iCS-EVo4G
    I'd like to think that Sprint would have advertised the EVO 4g as having Gorilla Glass. That's a major selling point. I'm curious if revisions after initial release got it because they had complaints about screen durability.