Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

Search This thread

nbkcu33

Apr 29, 2008
Are you using an SD card reader attached to your PC (SD card slot, SD card USB reader, etc.) or do you have the SD card in your Nook? I'm don't think DISKPART can see the card if it is in your Nook. /QUOTE]

No the card reader is in the P/C. When I magane the drives the card reader shows as drive M and drive # 5. When I look in Diskpart I see drives 0-4 and 9.I have 5 hard drives in the p/c and number 9 is my external back up.

Snooze77777

Mar 23, 2012
USB Power for SD hack

If you have properly prepared the SD chip and the NT still boots normally (misses the intercept i.e. no brown box) try it again tethered to a desktop computer with a large power supply. The brand or capacity of the SD chip (as long as it is bigger than the 55MB image) shouldn't matter - they should all work. Laptops, older desktops, and other devices that have small power supplies cause problems with many USB devices. I got no results on my laptop with many different SD chips. Plugged the NT into my desktop and all the chips worked with the hack! Worth a try.

Last edited:

Lovamelin

Oct 28, 2011
No Go

Everything went smooth. No issues. But doing "Search" then entering "market" takes me to the online android market. And it won't acknowledge my device. So I can install etc but it keeps on telling me to send to another device. As such I can't get the NT Settings app or sideload a 3rd party app. And market does not show up in my Nook as an app. Soooo...yeah. Everything worked like you said, box appeared, gave it two minutes, etc. But its like nothing ever happened. So should I try again? Should the market be showing up elsewhere? Should it acknowledge the device, etc? Could def use a little help. Thanks.

eggwardo

Mar 12, 2012
Everything went smooth. No issues. But doing "Search" then entering "market" takes me to the online android market. And it won't acknowledge my device. So I can install etc but it keeps on telling me to send to another device. As such I can't get the NT Settings app or sideload a 3rd party app. And market does not show up in my Nook as an app. Soooo...yeah. Everything worked like you said, box appeared, gave it two minutes, etc. But its like nothing ever happened. So should I try again? Should the market be showing up elsewhere? Should it acknowledge the device, etc? Could def use a little help. Thanks.

When you search you need to swith it so youre searching apps, not the web. Hit the google symbol on the left of the search bar before you do the search.
If market isnt there when you search apps then it didnt work.

Sent from my BNTV250A using XDA

Last edited:

Almazick

Jun 12, 2009
I installed your method one and everything looks good except Market/Play is missing on the device but SuperUser is installed.

Used WinImage to burn the image from PC to SDcard
inserted SDCARD to NT and plugged in USB cable.
It turned on, showed up a brown box and then "READ Forever", waited 2 minutes.
Turned off the device, removed sdcard and turned it on.

Done it already twice and market is missing from the device by using searching method but superuser and google search shows up in the list.

Nook Tablet 1.4.2

EDIT: fixed the problem by erasing SD-Card from Nook Tablet.

Last edited:

illunatic

Mar 25, 2012
Rooting Without SD Card Reader

i have found that the best way is to wipe the card from your nook (settings > Device info > sd card > unmount > erase), somehow it does a better job with that than windows does.

i have read through this entire thread, i've tried everything, i can't get past the brown box when booting from the sd. please help?

(i have managed to side load the cyanogen mod 7 rom)

Edit: i'm not entirely sure what i did differently, but i finally got it!

It seems that the nook likes to erase and format the cards itself. I used 8 GB SanDisk SDHC (which might have been an issue?) Another issue is that I am accessing the SD card device while it is in the nook.

Failure symptoms were that the NT would boot normally after the brown box instead of hanging to copy all the files. No market to be found.

How I got past this: I used fdisk to remove the partitions on the SD card, then I went to n button -> settings -> Device Info -> SD Card -> Unmount SD Card
Then -> Erase SD Card

Now I let the NT format the card as well since I figured it loved its own formatting. I burned the image to the SD card once more.

THIS time, I just removed the SD card before disconnecting the USB instead of "ejecting" it "safely" (no data to lose and if there is no more writing to the card I assume it's not a problem).

Now I powered down, inserted bootable SD card and plugged in USB to boot up again. Brown box and this time it hung on the "read forever" splash screen. I knew it was working then.

Android Market was now available and now I can use irc from my NT. :)

ratm182

Mar 26, 2012
Rooting Problem

I'm new here and have a question about rooting. I got an 8gb Tablet that came with 1.4.2. I purchased this root on Ebay 'Nook TABLET Root Script Kit - Fully Root your device in less than 20 minutes!' being sold by trublupt for $9.99 (apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet). Here's my problem: It installed perfectly fine as a boot from the SD card, not an internal boot from the actual Nook (internal would not work at all). Therefore, I can remove the SD card and the Nook is stock again. I used a brand new SanDisk 16gb card. After following all directions, it made my SD card into a 190mb card instead of 16gb. Now, I am wanting to know if it is possible to keep the CM7 boot files, but return my card to its full capacity. In my ignorance, I cut/pasted the data onto my computer, formatted the card, then returned the data to the card thinking it would still boot. Well, it didn't. So, I just reloaded the root and got back to a rooted Nook. How, if possible, can I get my SD card to return to its full capacity while maintaining the boot data required for CM7 from the SD card? I tried formatting from within the Android OS, and that didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want that free space back. Thanks.

syk759

Mar 24, 2012
Yes, I am new...

I searched through the thread and didn't find an answer, so hopefully someone will answer here. After using a microsd card to root, will its extra space still be usable? Also, if it doesn't work out as well as planned, how do you unroot an 8gb 1.4.2 NT? Thanks in advance. And thanks for sharing all the info so far. :)

Last edited:

eggwardo

Mar 12, 2012
I'm new here and have a question about rooting. I got an 8gb Tablet that came with 1.4.2. I purchased this root on Ebay 'Nook TABLET Root Script Kit - Fully Root your device in less than 20 minutes!' being sold by trublupt for $9.99 (apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet). Here's my problem: It installed perfectly fine as a boot from the SD card, not an internal boot from the actual Nook (internal would not work at all). Therefore, I can remove the SD card and the Nook is stock again. I used a brand new SanDisk 16gb card. After following all directions, it made my SD card into a 190mb card instead of 16gb. Now, I am wanting to know if it is possible to keep the CM7 boot files, but return my card to its full capacity. In my ignorance, I cut/pasted the data onto my computer, formatted the card, then returned the data to the card thinking it would still boot. Well, it didn't. So, I just reloaded the root and got back to a rooted Nook. How, if possible, can I get my SD card to return to its full capacity while maintaining the boot data required for CM7 from the SD card? I tried formatting from within the Android OS, and that didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want that free space back. Thanks.

Your first problem is that you paid for something that is free. :(
2nd problem is that whatever you bought is likely not what this thread is about.
3rd problem.. well lets just move on.

Step 1 - go to 1st post of this thread READ IT THROUGH, and then follow the instructions it lays out.
Step 2 - enjoy rooted nook
Step 3 - curse yourself for paying some a-hole for root

If you haven't followed Step 1 (above) then you are in the wrong thread.

Sorry for all of the sarcasm, i'm feeling saucy today.

On a serious note. I don't think there is a CM7 version that works on the 8gb nook, so i wouldn't try to put that on yours. But I could be wrong. I am also a bit confused about what you're actually doing.

drymer

Mar 21, 2012
I've only gotten cm7 to work on the 8gb with the sd image, not the internal.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using XDA

Dragonsys

Mar 22, 2012
I had the same issue rerooting my 8GB earlier today. Perhaps there's something wrong with the .img or the WinImage version?

I eventually got it to work properly using the tools and image provided in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439630. Wrote that image to the SD, then just replaced the files with those provided in the OP's .zip. HomeCatcher didn't seem to be installed, but that was easy enough to sideload with ADB. Root and Market worked fine, though.

Thanks! That worked perfectly for me

nbkcu33

Apr 29, 2008
I searched through the thread and didn't find an answer, so hopefully someone will answer here. After using a microsd card to root, will its extra space still be usable? Also, if it doesn't work out as well as planned, how do you unroot an 8gb 1.4.2 NT? Thanks in advance. And thanks for sharing all the info so far. :)

I was reading this blog and I have noticed that a few people have questioned how to get the micro sd card back to full capacity but none of the very limited replies are working. Would someone please address this issue directly.

Last edited:

eggwardo

Mar 12, 2012
I was reading this blog and I have noticed that a few people have questioned how to get the micro sd card back to full capacity but none of the very limited replies are working. Would someone please address this issue directly.

I was able to get mine back to normal. I can't tell you exactly how i did it. I tried explaining it somewhere in this thread.
My point is, yes you can, but since i only had to do it once i forgot exactly how.

Find the post where i talk about it for my best guess at how.

Mar 26, 2012
Another new SD card?

If your NT doesn't boot to the Bauwks box, you may have an incompatible SD card.

Beg and borrow as many cards as you can find and try the root utility on each one until it works.

I had to use a couple cards before finding a bootable SD. I think its the Nook that's to blame, not the SD card, per se.

Try different size cards, too. I have an old 128MB SD that would not boot, but a 2GB that boots every time.

Keep trying

Ive tried a PNY 16GB miro SD HC card and a Sandisk 2GB Micro SD card. No brown box. It loads as normal with or without USB attached.
Does the size of the card really matter? I thought it had to be larger than 55MB? Also, I'm using WinImage not Win32DiskImager.(computer wont let me download win32 for some reason. WindowsXP) In winImage I get the the following:

Boot.img
Flashing_boot.img
mlo
u_boot.bin

I tried to just goto "image" then "extract" to sd card and put it in NT. All this and nothing. Can it really be just the card?? if so how come?

Thanks gents

Snooze77777

Mar 23, 2012
Ive tried a PNY 16GB miro SD HC card and a Sandisk 2GB Micro SD card. No brown box. It loads as normal with or without USB attached.
Does the size of the card really matter? I thought it had to be larger than 55MB? Also, I'm using WinImage not Win32DiskImager.(computer wont let me download win32 for some reason. WindowsXP) In winImage I get the the following:

Boot.img
Flashing_boot.img
mlo
u_boot.bin

I tried to just goto "image" then "extract" to sd card and put it in NT. All this and nothing. Can it really be just the card?? if so how come?

Thanks gents

Kind of goes without saying that the size of the sd card must be large enough to hold the image. Other than that I can't see why the size would matter. I earlier posted that the sd brand shouldn't make a difference and felt that most of the problems might be due to underpowered usb ports as that was my experience. I shouldn't make such a broad assumption based on small sample size results. There are definite differences between cards (read/write speeds & small electrical variances) that could account for one card working and another not. I can't help with Winimage, but can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to download Win32DiskImager. Make sure you are logged in as administrator and turn off pop up blocker and anti-virus if necessary and follow the instructions exactly.

nikiddawg

Mar 2, 2012
8GB Nook Tablet - Dual booting from SD Card?

I've been following and reading these threads for just about a month now. Some great stuff from everybody. That said....Am I correct in my understanding that to date, we do not have a reliable way to dual boot the 8GB Nook Tablet (i.e., without tethering, etc.)? I had the NC and was dual booting CM7 from SD Card without a hitch. I returned the NC for the 8GB NT and I find myself searching for a solution and waiting (after several failed attempts at trying to get it to work).

Can somebody please confirm that my understanding of the current status for the 8GB NT is right? If I'm missing something, please let me know and I'll delve in again.

Thanks.

AzumaK

Nov 11, 2010
Syracuse, NY
I've been following and reading these threads for just about a month now. Some great stuff from everybody. That said....Am I correct in my understanding that to date, we do not have a reliable way to dual boot the 8GB Nook Tablet (i.e., without tethering, etc.)? I had the NC and was dual booting CM7 from SD Card without a hitch. I returned the NC for the 8GB NT and I find myself searching for a solution and waiting (after several failed attempts at trying to get it to work).

Can somebody please confirm that my understanding of the current status for the 8GB NT is right? If I'm missing something, please let me know and I'll delve in again.

Thanks.

All of that sounds correct to me. There's not much more we can currently do with the 8gb version other than attain root and fix some of the glaring problems like Copy/paste, Homecatcher for alternate launcher... It seems very difficult and unreliable to even try CWM so I'm staying with stock.

As much as my inner hacker wants to go ROM crazy I don't want to return my 8 for a 16 because the tablet does everything I wanted it for. I'd say go for the 16GB version if you don't want to wait! However, since this is my first tab and I didn't have a NC, I can totally see why you'd want to get off stock on NT. Good luck!

Sent from my BNTV250A using XDA

nikiddawg

Mar 2, 2012
I will continue to monitor from the wings. I have a Droid Inc 2 and love the Android platform. I really did like the NC running as full blown tablet cuz it allowed me to do all my favorite android stuff on a larger scale. I am not as in love with the current limitations of the NT and only hope one of the greats on here will crack the mystery soon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Updated 3/4/12] Add flashable SD card image
    [Updated 3/5/12] Update instructions to include tethering
    [Updated 4/16/12] Add compatibility warning (as suggested by lavero.burgos) and answers to common questions

Sorry for posting this here -- this is the first time I'm posting on xda-developers and I'm not allowed to post in the dev section.

Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

So ever since I bought the 8GB Nook Tablet last week I've been checking this forum daily to see whether there's a root method that I could use to sideload apps etc.. But it seems that no current root method for the 8GB tablet existed, and I even came across a video showing that none of the current root methods for the 16GB version works on the 8GB.

So when I saw bauwks's updated 2nduboot that allows booting from an SD card, I started poking around to see if I could use that to root the tablet. While bauwks's kernel and ramdisk cannot boot into the stock Nook userland on the 8GB version (it reboots right after the "READ FOREVER" screen), they do allow me to boot into Android's init process, and that's enough to root the tablet and install Android Market. Basically, what I did was package the files I needed as well as a small installer script into bauwks's boot.img.

The result (root + Android market) is demonstrated in this video.

Compatibility

This method is for rooting the stock firmware version 1.4.2 that is shipped with the Nook Table 8GB when you buy one from B&N. It is not supposed to be used with other ROMs such as CM7, nor the Nook Tablet 16GB.

Included

- Root (su + Superuser.apk)
    - Android market

Options

There are two equivalent ways to apply this root method.

1. The first, and easier method is to burn an image to your SD card.

2. The second method is to partition and format your SD card and copy over the files yourself. This latter is more complicated than you think as the SD card must be partitioned and formatted in a very particular (and peculiar) way for it to boot.

Instructions for option 1 - burning a pre-built microSD card image

0. Before you proceed, know that THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE THAT PROBABLY VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY AND MAY PERMANENTLY OR TEMPORARILY BRICK YOUR TABLET. Even though it worked for me, it may not work for you, and worse, it is quite possible that it could cause your tablet to boot-loop or die. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGES TO YOUR TABLET / ANYTHING ELSE CAUSED BY THIS METHOD. BY USING IT YOU AGREE TO ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.
    1. You need a microSD card. The image itself is ~55MB, which means any card above 64MB will work. Backup anything you have on that SD card because THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR microSD CARD.
    2. Download this image. MD5: 1a4f5cb32f09d3003b11aa782fe9566f
    3. Burn downloaded image to microSD card. This page explains how to burn an image on Linux, Mac and Windows. Ignore the Nook Color-specific stuff, don't download the Nookie Froyo image, and replace in the instructions the nookie froyo image with the image you've just downloaded. THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR microSD CARD.
    4. Turn off the tablet.
    5. Put the microSD card with the burnt image into the tablet.
    6. Connect tablet to computer using a USB cable. The tablet should boot up on its own; if not, press the power button to power on.
    7. After the initial black screen with the "n" logo, you should see a brown box in the middle of a white screen. (If you do not, your tablet is not booting off the microSD card and you probably did something wrong.) After you hit the "READ FOREVER" screen, WAIT ABOUT TWO MINUTES. Even though nothing changes on the screen, a script is copying over root and Google stuff onto the /system partition.
    8. After two minutes, hold down on the power button until the tablet turns off.
    9. Take out the microSD card and power on again.

Instructions for option 2 - manual setup

0. Before you proceed, know that THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE THAT PROBABLY VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY AND MAY PERMANENTLY OR TEMPORARILY BRICK YOUR TABLET. Even though it worked for me, it may not work for you, and worse, it is quite possible that it could cause your tablet to boot-loop or die. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGES TO YOUR TABLET / ANYTHING ELSE CAUSED BY THIS METHOD. BY USING IT YOU AGREE TO ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.
    1. Create a 50MB vfat partition with boot and lda flags set, as explained in this video. I followed the instructions on the page referred to by the video at the very beginning.
    2. Download this zip file, and extract contents to root of the 50MB microSD card partition.
    3. Turn off the tablet.
    4. Put the microSD card with the burnt image into the tablet.
    5. Connect tablet to computer using a USB cable. The tablet should boot up on its own; if not, press the power button to power on.
    6. After the initial black screen with the "n" logo, you should see a brown box in the middle of a white screen. (If you do not, your tablet is not booting off the microSD card and you probably did something wrong.) After you hit the "READ FOREVER" screen, WAIT ABOUT TWO MINUTES. Even though nothing changes on the screen, a script is copying over root and Google stuff onto the /system partition.
    7. After two minutes, hold down on the power button until the tablet turns off.
    8. Take out the microSD card and power on again.

After Rooting

You will not see any visible difference in the interface when the tablet powers back on, nor will your firmware version change, but you should now be rooted. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market". For a step-by-step guide on other things you'd probably want to do after you root (e.g., installing 3rd-party .apks, making the "n" button start a custom launcher), check out this thread by RevenantOne.

Common Questions / Problems

Here are some of the common issues people have run into according to this thread. Read this through if you have a question or problem before posting it!

1. Am I rooted? / I did everything correctly, but nothing changed after I reboot!
    If you saw a brown box and then the "READ FOREVER" screen, you are already rooted. There will not be any visible differences in the interface / software version. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market". Check out this thread by RevenantOne for other things you probably want to do after you root.​

2. I don't see the brown box screen; instead the tablet just boots up normally.
    There are a number of possibilities:

a. Some people have had better luck combining the files from this method with a root image for the 16GB tablet. Theoretically this could work for everyone, so make sure you do try this one out if your tablet refuses to boot (i.e., you don't see the brown box). Instructions can be found in post #131.

b. Your microSD card may be incompatible. As strange as it may seem, people have posted on this thread that certain microSD cards will simply not work. It appears to be somewhat random which cards work and which don't, so you might have to try out several cards from a different brand or with a different size before you find one that does work.​

3. How to restore the microSD card back to its normal capacity from 50mb?

Disclaimer

Again, this is experimental software. That it worked for me does not mean it will work for you, or that it won't brick your tablet. I am not responsible for any possible damages resulting from using this method.

Credits

Credit goes to:
    - [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4426306"]bauwks
    for his 2nduboot hack (see this thread)
    - Indirect for his root + gapps package (see this thread).
    - Everyone on this thread for posting amazing feedback and a wealth of information and solutions to common problems, and most of all to those of you who donated! It's really appreciated :)
    Which files... If this is not easy to say/show - n'mind.

Code:
    /system/app:
    	CarHomeGoogle.apk
    	GenieWidget.apk
    	GoogleBackupTransport.apk
    	GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    	GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    	GoogleFeedback.apk
    	GooglePartnerSetup.apk
    	GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    	GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    	LatinImeTutorial.apk
    	MarketUpdater.apk
    	MediaUploader.apk
    	NetworkLocation.apk
    	OneTimeInitializer.apk
    	PackageInstaller.apk
    	Superuser.apk
    	Talk.apk
    	Vending.apk
    /system/etc/permissions:
    	com.google.android.maps.xml
    	features.xml
    /system/framework:
    	com.google.android.maps.jar
    /system/lib:
    	libvoicesearch.so
    /system/bin:
    	su
    /system/xbin:
    	busybox
    	su
    Did you happen to try any 3d games out?
    new launcher gone again after I hit the "n" button. any way to relink the button?:mad:

To get back to your custom launcher, you'd have to use the good-ol' search ("n" button -> Search). To permanently switch to your custom launcher as the default launcher, you can install the HomeCatcher app (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1357175). Before you do that though you'd have to enable the installation of APK files (or installation from "unknown sources" - I recommend using the "NT Hidden Settings" app which is available on the Android Market).
    If you have a Nook COLOR I suggest you head over to that sectionand find the root instructions for that device. This is for Nook TABLET!!

Sigh... not the first to to get it wrong and won't be the last. If only people took a few seconds to learn the difference.

Sent from my CM 10 nook. Thanks devs.