[Q]

Search This thread

yahyanael

Oct 11, 2013
amman
Hello there , I want to ask about custom Roms as cyanogen mod and PAC and all those teams out there.
First of all ,, the android that they make is similary to the stock one that I can get it from Google website to open it on jdk simulator. Then what is the deal in making custom roms??
And what about Samsung Galaxy Roms features.. Are they closed source? So there is no one can steel there features and use them in other Roms ???
I wish some one answer me because I am so confused about this .. Thanks

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Hello there , I want to ask about custom Roms as cyanogen mod and PAC and all those teams out there.
First of all ,, the android that they make is similary to the stock one that I can get it from Google website to open it on jdk simulator. Then what is the deal in making custom roms??
And what about Samsung Galaxy Roms features.. Are they closed source? So there is no one can steel there features and use them in other Roms ???

So to start from my understanding of the beginning, Samsung or HTC or LG and such will plan out a device, they put all the stuff they want on it ( as in the battery size, the specific GPU and CPU), and towards the end they slap on what version of android they want. this android is Stock like what you see with cyanogenmod or Aosp roms ( they are almost stock but with a few modifications like CPU governors and I/Os) from there they are able to put in all the features they want to feature on the device (so if you think about it, Samsung makes their own Custom rom for the phones but its very professional and are made for the General population where we are the few developers that aren't very professional.) like for Samsung, you will only see S Memo on Samsung phones (so yes Samsung Features are closed source if you develop a rom you are able to put features that come from the Stock rom you get when you buy the phone.), its possible to put s memo on other devices like one of HTC's, but is sorta illegal since Samsung owns s memo. for custom roms, we as developers are able to put stock android features into a rom because Google made android open source. (its not quite open source in some areas) now if you have a Samsung phone and want to make a rom based on Touchwiz (the normal Samsung Ui) or HTC phone and want to base a rom off Sense (Htc's Ui) we are allowed to do this only on these specific phones, otherwise making a Sense rom on a Samsung phone would be illegal and they would ask you to take down a download link. im sorry you had to hear me rant and i hope this made sense! if it sounds like i left anything out please ask.

Reactions: yahyanael

yahyanael

Oct 11, 2013
amman
OK I understood a part, but im still confused about Cyanogen mod part .. I mean what is that thing that they do and others cant do so every Dev make a ROM sayed it based on Cyanogen mod ??:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So to start from my understanding of the beginning, Samsung or HTC or LG and such will plan out a device, they put all the stuff they want on it ( as in the battery size, the specific GPU and CPU), and towards the end they slap on what version of android they want. this android is Stock like what you see with cyanogenmod or Aosp roms ( they are almost stock but with a few modifications like CPU governors and I/Os) from there they are able to put in all the features they want to feature on the device (so if you think about it, Samsung makes their own Custom rom for the phones but its very professional and are made for the General population where we are the few developers that aren't very professional.) like for Samsung, you will only see S Memo on Samsung phones (so yes Samsung Features are closed source if you develop a rom you are able to put features that come from the Stock rom you get when you buy the phone.), its possible to put s memo on other devices like one of HTC's, but is sorta illegal since Samsung owns s memo. for custom roms, we as developers are able to put stock android features into a rom because Google made android open source. (its not quite open source in some areas) now if you have a Samsung phone and want to make a rom based on Touchwiz (the normal Samsung Ui) or HTC phone and want to base a rom off Sense (Htc's Ui) we are allowed to do this only on these specific phones, otherwise making a Sense rom on a Samsung phone would be illegal and they would ask you to take down a download link. im sorry you had to hear me rant and i hope this made sense! if it sounds like i left anything out please ask.