[Q] No Imei and "baseband unknown" Please help! Really weird!

Search This thread

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
So, this is a long process I've been through-- First thanks so much for just taking the time to read this and any input would be awesome

I tried to flash a new slimkat 4.4.2 rom today and it flashed fine came up had service all was well except I think i did it as a "dirty" flash. I don't want to think any errors possible would be from that so i immediately did a "clean" flash and wiped everything except external sd-card in TWRP

Rebooted and noticed i didn't have any signal or data. First thought was modem so I started flashing MJ4 and reboot, nothing, so I flashed MK6 and reboot, nothing, so i changed to CWM recovery and flashed them, nothing, then at this point i just want a phone back doesn't even matter so i always seem to have several ROMS on my phone so i flashed another Sky Note 4.3 and reloaded nothing... So i started really wondering now and looking at my baseband to see what it said and noticed "Unkown Baseband" and Imei "unkown" (All while at work) So I came home did a little research while trying various other roms and none worked. So I read one way is to use Kies and do a "firmware upgrade initialisation"

Now it rebooting and completed going back to 4.1.2 CAMA4 and i still have nothing.. So I flashed UCALJ modem (Which should work as well) and I still have no data or signal because of unknown IMEI and Baseband. I don't really care about using triangle away or not, but i can get around and flash roms and everything thats what I don't understand.

Oh I did use CF-autoroot to install TWRP to install the modem as a .zip

Any ideas I would love you forever!!!

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
So, this is a long process I've been through-- First thanks so much for just taking the time to read this and any input would be awesome

I tried to flash a new slimkat 4.4.2 rom today and it flashed fine came up had service all was well except I think i did it as a "dirty" flash. I don't want to think any errors possible would be from that so i immediately did a "clean" flash and wiped everything except external sd-card in TWRP

Rebooted and noticed i didn't have any signal or data. First thought was modem so I started flashing MJ4 and reboot, nothing, so I flashed MK6 and reboot, nothing, so i changed to CWM recovery and flashed them, nothing, then at this point i just want a phone back doesn't even matter so i always seem to have several ROMS on my phone so i flashed another Sky Note 4.3 and reloaded nothing... So i started really wondering now and looking at my baseband to see what it said and noticed "Unkown Baseband" and Imei "unkown" (All while at work) So I came home did a little research while trying various other roms and none worked. So I read one way is to use Kies and do a "firmware upgrade initialisation"

Now it rebooting and completed going back to 4.1.2 CAMA4 and i still have nothing.. So I flashed UCALJ modem (Which should work as well) and I still have no data or signal because of unknown IMEI and Baseband. I don't really care about using triangle away or not, but i can get around and flash roms and everything thats what I don't understand.

Oh I did use CF-autoroot to install TWRP to install the modem as a .zip

Any ideas I would love you forever!!!

I gots more love than I know what to do with.....

Do you have a backup of your /efs? Hopefully when (if) you did a backup in TWRP you choose to back up efs also ..... ???

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
I'm going to try and repair (backup and re-put) my EFS folder there, but how do i tell if its a complete EFS folder or if it is damaged? On the note 2 ATT is there a way to manually put in your IMEI? or reasons why this couldn't be my problem please

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
I'm going to try and repair (backup and re-put) my EFS folder there, but how do i tell if its a complete EFS folder or if it is damaged? On the note 2 ATT is there a way to manually put in your IMEI? or reasons why this couldn't be my problem please

Last time this happened to me, a very long night, I had a guru on hangouts with me and we tried everything we could think of..

Only thing that got me back was a restore of an old backup, as a wild ass last resort.... Lost my mind when it worked

This problem is not weird, unfortunately it's common.

Starting surfing for your error and read read read.... I've had a long fricking day ..

Like a maniac I'm trying to port over a 7100 ROM.. I get that error also.

Only thing that gets it back is restoring a backup rom that had an efs backup in it.

Reactions: Bradbetheman

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
Last time this happened to me, a very long night, I had a guru on hangouts with me and we tried everything we could think of..

Only thing that got me back was a restore of an old backup, as a wild ass last resort.... Lost my mind when it worked

Starting surfing for your error and read read read.... I've had a long fricking day ..

Only thing that gets it back is restoring a backup rom that had an efs backup in it.

In my EFS folder i can't find any .nv_**** files so I'm assuming they are gone and I don't have a back-up. I've been reading and reading with nothing coming out of it other then how to fix it on alot of other samsung phones. I can't seem to find a way to re-build and manually enter my own IMEI (because i know the IMEI) Driving me nuts!! but thanks for your reply

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
EFS folder anyone?

Any chance i can get a copy of someones EFS folder so that i can edit the .nv_data and add my IMIE? Please of a ATT Note 2

Thanks so much and just PM link

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Any chance i can get a copy of someones EFS folder so that i can edit the .nv_data and add my IMIE? Please of a ATT Note 2

Thanks so much and just PM link

Sadly no...
It is both illegal...and unethical for someone to give you a copy of an EFS folder...

It contains the user data and carrier information for the device...making the folder private...and unique to it's owner ....g

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Have you tried restoring firmware from Kies or flashing official firmware via Odin?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Reactions: gregsarg

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
Have you tried restoring firmware from Kies or flashing official firmware via Odin?

I have done official firmware and over odin and before that Kies recovery. Also, knew it wasn't smart but didn't know it was illegal.

Any idea's for programs that will scan for deleted folders? or other ways to re-build EFS or .nvdata?

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
I have done official firmware and over odin and before that Kies recovery. Also, knew it wasn't smart but didn't know it was illegal.

Any idea's for programs that will scan for deleted folders? or other ways to re-build EFS or .nvdata?

I was going to try this but didn't have to because I found a backup with my efs. I was going to try putting a new sim in and see if phone would see it and rebuild.
Actually was going to pull the sim out of my wife's note 2 and try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
So I tried from my wifes sim today with no avail. Still don't have my phone and wondering if there is any way to recover it? Do i try to set it back to stock everything fix the flash counter then call samsung? I don't think its under warranty anymore since i've had it for almost 2 years. I know its a long shot but I wonder if taking it to one of those "cell phone repair" places would be any help? I'm out of options and actually had to drop back to my old HTC Inspire :(

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
So I tried from my wifes sim today with no avail. Still don't have my phone and wondering if there is any way to recover it? Do i try to set it back to stock everything fix the flash counter then call samsung? I don't think its under warranty anymore since i've had it for almost 2 years. I know its a long shot but I wonder if taking it to one of those "cell phone repair" places would be any help? I'm out of options and actually had to drop back to my old HTC Inspire :(

Yea, the sim deal was to simple to work...

So never heard I don't think. What were you on before you flashed slimkat? Did you do the 4.3 OTA update?

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Have you tried flashing an original rom with the Pit file? That's your last resort, EFS is unique to each phone by using someone's else's this is illegal as your modifying the IMEI. I've had efs issues in the past but always had a backup to hand. Try flashing everything with a pit file if that doesn't work then you will have to take it in for repair, Samsung official could do it but don't know what they will charge as it's out of warranty or maybe a local phone repair shop could do it or someone with jtag services can do it perhaps too.

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
Have you tried flashing an original rom with the Pit file? That's your last resort, EFS is unique to each phone by using someone's else's this is illegal as your modifying the IMEI. I've had efs issues in the past but always had a backup to hand. Try flashing everything with a pit file if that doesn't work then you will have to take it in for repair, Samsung official could do it but don't know what they will charge as it's out of warranty or maybe a local phone repair shop could do it or someone with jtag services can do it perhaps too.

I was on another 4.4 rom before I went to slimkat

What is a pit file? I don't know much about it and is there a "trusted" guide on how to use one with the Note 2? I mean I'm familiar with Odin so I know its there but I've never had to use one

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
I was on another 4.4 rom before I went to slimkat

What is a pit file? I don't know much about it and is there a "trusted" guide on how to use one with the Note 2? I mean I'm familiar with Odin so I know its there but I've never had to use one

Here's the info...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2609871

A couple of other people are having worse problems like not being able to flash a recovery in ODIN or a ROM saying it can't read partitions. That's a good choice for a PIT flash.

But I'm reading and reading and everything is saying, yep that will work.... IF you then have the efs backup to restore

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
Here's the info...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2609871

A couple of other people are having worse problems like not being able to flash a recovery in ODIN or a ROM saying it can't read partitions. That's a good choice for a PIT flash.

But I'm reading and reading and everything is saying, yep that will work.... IF you then have the efs backup to restore

Thanks so much for the help!! I'm just worried that its not going to fix it and only make it worse possibly. I can't find how to pull my PIT file to analyze it so my next option is... Call a professional tomorrow... I'm going to call because apparently a "Z3X box" will fix my phone in like 3 minutes. I will post back though letting people know in the future whether they can or not. Because of legal reasons I don't know if they can even write my own IMEI back to the device. Will post back though regardless after tomorrow when I call them.

Bradbetheman

Jun 10, 2011
GREAT NEWS!

So I got desperate and realized this was going to take a professional. I called around to my local "cell phone repair" shops that really only know how to change the screen and asked about recovering the EFS file. It started out: "Hi can I talk with someone knowledgeable about the Android file system?" and every time the person said they were an "expert" So I said "I deleted or corrupted my EFS file and I need a repair for it" and EVERY time they told me they had no clue what I was talking about. I read and read everything I could find on the internet and most pointed me to some international "send you phone here" and of course I'm very skeptical of shipping my phone just about anywhere. So I found a person in the US at mobiletechvideos.com and looked him up with the BBB and found reviews from multiple sources.

I can say mobiletechvideos.com is legit and awesome! Josh fixed my phone and repaired the IMEI in less the 10 minutes remotely. I have my note 2 back! Please do not hesitate to give this guy a try he is legit and really down to earth guy. This thread can end here because whatever he did I have no clue but it worked!

Also a lot cheaper then I though it was going to be

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
GREAT NEWS!

So I got desperate and realized this was going to take a professional. I called around to my local "cell phone repair" shops that really only know how to change the screen and asked about recovering the EFS file. It started out: "Hi can I talk with someone knowledgeable about the Android file system?" and every time the person said they were an "expert" So I said "I deleted or corrupted my EFS file and I need a repair for it" and EVERY time they told me they had no clue what I was talking about. I read and read everything I could find on the internet and most pointed me to some international "send you phone here" and of course I'm very skeptical of shipping my phone just about anywhere. So I found a person in the US at mobiletechvideos.com and looked him up with the BBB and found reviews from multiple sources.

I can say mobiletechvideos.com is legit and awesome! Josh fixed my phone and repaired the IMEI in less the 10 minutes remotely. I have my note 2 back! Please do not hesitate to give this guy a try he is legit and really down to earth guy. This thread can end here because whatever he did I have no clue but it worked!

Also a lot cheaper then I though it was going to be

That is great news. Congrats ! How in the world did he do it remotely ?????

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.