Gps fix 101

Search This thread

RanaGill

Jul 23, 2010
This works great on my At&T Captivate.

Like the other folks i noticed that my location on google maps was not very accurate, I remembered that with my old phone I would show right down to my own house my location. Now with my new Samsung Captivate it was way off, it was showing my location always 100+ plus away from where I really was, this would be annoying for following direction on google maps.

I changed my settings according to the above posts and now it has become very accurate, right down to what part of the building im in when at work.

thanks guys for your help.

elkavayo

Nov 15, 2007
Miami
Fix did not work for me either.

I have tried every possible combination:
- skyhook on/off
- standalone/MS-Based/MS-assisted
- supl.google.com/default

with skyhook on and MS based the fix is quicker, but using GPS Test app. shows couple of things that are wrong:

- it sees 11 satelites, badly gets a lock on 1 or maybe 2, usually the weakest
- the UTC time is wrong by 5 hours, making the local time wrong as well

When using Speedtest.net app, it says the closest server is in NY, when I'm in Miami. This is my second Vibrant, as I recenty exchanged it because of lose volume key.

The compass is also inaccurate. Google mas is okay for driving, but when stopped (at a traffic light) it shows me going in the opposite direction, then right again, then wrong, until I start moving.

Never had that with a N1.

XfooYen

Mar 29, 2010
Lost Angeles
I posted this in the GPS crashing Maps thread and thought it should be here too. (btw the "fix" did little for me)

Just wanted to add that everyone should report this issue (and ALL others ie. compass, GPS, dropped calls) to T-Mobile and most importantly, Samsung. I am now on hold with Samsung level 3 tech support to update my issues with the phone. The more they hear from us, the more likely they are to come out with proper fixes in a timely fashion. If these issues stay on the forums and nowhere else, we're SOL. Do it now!

UPDATE: Eric, a L3 techie, was very appreciative of the info I gave him regarding the inaccurate GPS, GPS crashing, and compass issues. He did state that these were becoming common complaints. The compass issue was said to be less popular but he was able to reproduce the inaccuracies I and many others have, so that's a good thing. He did not have any info regarding a coming fix on anything. Regarding dropped calls (which could be a radio problem) he said, as I assumed, that it is probably a service issue that T-Mo should be notified of.

XfooYen

Mar 29, 2010
Lost Angeles
better yet, post your observations to Twitter and Facebook. More reach/leverage than any phone calls to customer service/tech support.

Twitter and Facebook users aren't going to fix these issues. No matter how loud the internets is roaring with complaints nothing will get done if Samsung and TMO don't hear about it directly through tech support.

zoid_99

Aug 1, 2008
Huntsville, AL
I call T-Mobile today and the first line of suport said that there is a GPS issue and she wanted to transfer me to PDA support.

Once I got to PDA support the tech told me there was NOT a GPS issue and I told him yes there is a GPS issue. He went and got the support centers Vibrant and it refused to lock in. He went and go a MyTouch slide and it locked in immediately.

He said he could send me another one but I had to send min in first and once they got tracking they would send me another one which is BS. Went to the store and they said I had to do it over the phone since I purchased it over the web.

Tempted to just get my money back...

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
I call T-Mobile today and the first line of suport said that there is a GPS issue and she wanted to transfer me to PDA support.

Once I got to PDA support the tech told me there was NOT a GPS issue and I told him yes there is a GPS issue. He went and got the support centers Vibrant and it refused to lock in. He went and go a MyTouch slide and it locked in immediately.

He said he could send me another one but I had to send min in first and once they got tracking they would send me another one which is BS. Went to the store and they said I had to do it over the phone since I purchased it over the web.

Tempted to just get my money back...

You're a flexpay customer? It's not uncommon for there to be a rep that isn't up to date or didn't bother to check for any issues with the phone. People get so hot and bothered over that.

kizer

Mar 31, 2009
www.links4jeeps.com
I have pretty clear sky where I am North of Seattle and I could easily count to 10 and I always get a Sat lock. Of course maybe I'm luckly or its just where I am.

My compass on the other hand is totally useless. It points everywhere.

A few days ago I have 11 sats and I was only locking on to 3.

XfooYen

Mar 29, 2010
Lost Angeles
Posted this on another thread...

Guys, looks like we have some more positive news:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/TMobile?v=wall&story_fbid=418196748894&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

Looks like they might be working on something.

Read the forums before you get everyone excited.
T-Mobile made this statement over a week ago stating that they and Samsung are "aware and working on it". Nothing new! It's just hot air until they give a date on OTA fix.

Jul 27, 2010
FYI, i posted a reply in the "new GPS fix" thread with another procedure that may work for some other people that are having an issue with their GPS.
i have also found out through the grapevine that our phones will be recieving 2.2 in the next couple of weeks. :)

Tetrine

Jul 27, 2010
thank you OP, I'm an iPhone convert with a new Captivate and you just saved me! thanks to all the great people here on xda!

mikebarton

Jul 31, 2010
Captivate fix that worked for me

Hi. So I tried the Google server (and port) and also MS Based but nothing would work to get my GPS to lock on this new Sammy Captivate. I tried one other thing I came across somewhere, with a twist. Set to MS Assisted and instead of using a Custom Configuration for supl.google.com or the default setting, I changed it to Auto configuration, which gave a very long server address. I rebooted, fired up GPS test and the phone locked lickety split and had 6+ satellites. Google Navigation locked from inside my house faster than it ever did on my Droid before this new phone. The Droid would lock in OK outside or when driving but no so much in the house. This is with SkyNet on. Anyway, it works for this Captivate user. Try it, frustrated ones.

Last edited:

jonathan75

Jul 26, 2010
Hi. So I tried the Google server (and port) and also MS Based but nothing would work to get my GPS to lock on this new Sammy Captivate. I tried one other thing I came across somewhere, with a twist. Set to MS Assisted and instead of using a Custom Configuration for supl.google.com or the default setting, I changed it to Auto configuration, which gave a very long server address. I rebooted, fired up GPS test and the phone locked lickety split and had 6+ satellites. Google Navigation locked from inside my house faster than it ever did on my Droid before this new phone. The Droid would lock in OK outside or when driving but no so much in the house. This is with SkyNet on. Anyway, it works for this Captivate user. Try it, frustrated ones.

Thanks, Mike it did help me some. But I can never get a lock on more then 2-3 max. It will see 11 but lock on only two?!? Most of the time it will lock on one that has 0 SNR. Just don't get it.

On another note, if you have the T-Mobile rubber back it will effect reception of the GPS. I did many tests and confirmed this on my phone.

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
Thanks, Mike it did help me some. But I can never get a lock on more then 2-3 max. It will see 11 but lock on only two?!? Most of the time it will lock on one that has 0 SNR. Just don't get it.

On another note, if you have the T-Mobile rubber back it will effect reception of the GPS. I did many tests and confirmed this on my phone.

are you saying the black gel case degrades radio signal??

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
It makes no change whatsoever. It's silicone people, not metal. If your left hand is covering the GPS/BT/WiFi antenna reception will be affected..

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
It makes no change whatsoever. It's silicone people, not metal. If your left hand is covering the GPS/BT/WiFi antenna reception will be affected..

actually you don't know that and i'll give some insight why i suspect it might

carbon is used as the black coloring agent in paints & plastics - i don't know about silicone but there's no reason to suspect it isn't as it's the easiest choice. Carbon will conduct electricity as well as shield radio signals. Carbon fiber is beautiful if you want to shield something from EMF or radio signals.

but black paint will degrade radio signals, and i had a suspicion black plastic, rubber or silicone cases would as well.

If jonathan75 confirms that's what he tested, then maybe even removing the rear plastic case will give us some idea if the problem is antenna related or otherwise

PS - for the hey of it, used the signal strength reading under settings > status, i pulled the black plastic case cover off the back

in about 30 seconds, signal went from -111 dBm to -81 dBm then climbed back to -105 dBm - first time i've had a reading here under -94

put it back on, it jumped to -111 dBm again

waited 5 minutes, did it again, this time it dropped to -105dBm

not a lot wrong with a gain in -6 dBm in signal strength

not conclusive but be interesting if others tried it and reported what they saw -
it takes a bit for the new reading to be reflected - i don't think the phone pings the network constantly

Last edited: