Issue backing up and restoring....

Search This thread

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
I updated to the new cwm the other day and attempted to download and install vanir 4.3. The Backup froze midway so I restarted the phone. It Still operates on my cm11 rom but I can't back up or re store anything. I'm not quite sure what to do Now, with my galaxy s4 i could Just Odin back to stock and start from scratch. Is there anything like that I can do to fix this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Try to reflash the new recovery. If it still dosent work, flash back to the old recovery version and see if it works. Remember to do " fastboot erase cache " each time before fastboot flashing a recovery.

And yes you can "start over" like odin so to speak, its caled an ruu.

Last edited:

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
Yea so further testing and fix attempts have failed... When I run fastboot commands such as fastboot format system or anything to erase the cache it Just says failed every time. When I go in to the recovery it can't mount the system or anything. And now it is Just sticking at the HTC screen. Pretty sure it soft bricked (Thanks clock work mod). How would I go about this ruu?

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
Let me find out, I am s-off and unlocked. Don't know the version though.

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
What do I do with that once I get it? It's listed there but it's the only one with No directions Lol....

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
You need adb and fastboot setup on your pc. Put the zip file in the same folder with adb.exe and fastboot.exe. Rename it to something easy like ruu.zip. Then open a cmd prompt to where the files are located. Connect the phone and boot into the bootloader (hboot). Type in the cmd window
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
Then do
Code:
fastboot flash zip ruu.zip
It may fail and say something about flushing if so run the second cmd again. Once it shows done in the cmd window, type
Code:
fastboot reboot
You should then be complete stock JB. Do the initial setup and it will prompt you to take the KK ota.

Last edited:

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
Will i Still be s-off and unlocked once i finish this? Before the Ota of course

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Yes you will still be s-off and unlocked even after the ota. Remember that the ruu wipes all your data, so make sure to back up your sdcard contents to your pc, such as pics, downloads, backups, etc.

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
Yes you will still be s-off and unlocked even after the ota. Remember that the ruu wipes all your data, so make sure to back up your sdcard contents to your pc, such as pics, downloads, backups, etc.

I'm unable to back anything up because I can't get the phone to boot past the HTC screen with the red text. It can't mount system, data, or cache. The only thing I can do is boot into fastboot or the CWM recovery that bricked my phone to begin with. Also, I'm attempting to download RUU from the link you posted, on a 20mbps connection but it says 4 hours to download. Do you know of any mirrors I could try? I can't seem to find any through google.

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
No worries, thank you so much for your help!

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
I just downloaded it in my gs4 since I'm not home. I'll drag, drop and extract it later and give it a shot. Thank you so much for your help and patience!

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
So I did everything like You said, but when I type fastboot flash zip ruu.zip it says "error: cannot open 'ruu.zip'"

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
I tried multiple times and it doesn't do anything. I have the file in the fastboot folder as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you s-off or just unlocked? What hboot version are you on?
    Not that i know of. I will make one, but its gonna take 20 or so to upload to the server.