[HOW TO] Unlock bootloader, Root, Flash Custom ROM, Flash Kernel And More!

Search This thread

Rissien

Oct 9, 2010
Zagreb
"The 1st post says, READ the warning. THIS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA FROM THE PHONE.
When you agree to it, press the volume up button and press the power button to accept it. Your phone will now restart."

Yeah it says s-on and unlocked. But I still have all the data on my phone and it isn't wiped. And I when I install Titanium Backup Pro, it says I don't have root. Also http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/95 says "Note: You must be S-OFF or have taken HTC's unlock to use a recovery on your device!"

You have htc's unlocked bootloader so you are fine to continue rooting your phone. Just continue from here and you'll be good

"When your phone loads up, go through the set up wizard. Then, on your phone, go to Settings -> Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging"

bmwdoc2002

Aug 30, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Phone wont boot into bootloader

When I submit my token I'd it has an error 170 MID not allowed. Any ideas? Disregard the title of this post, I am editing my original...

Last edited:

qasim_chini

Dec 12, 2012
need help in rooting

hi guyz i am new in this rooting thing. i dont know much about these things. can u tell me any easy way to root my htc one x please? and one thing more ive in many posts that after rooting there is a sound error in htc one x is this true? what do u guyz suggest should i root it or not? thankx cheers. :fingers-crossed:

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
hi guyz i am new in this rooting thing. i dont know much about these things. can u tell me any easy way to root my htc one x please? and one thing more ive in many posts that after rooting there is a sound error in htc one x is this true? what do u guyz suggest should i root it or not? thankx cheers. :fingers-crossed:

If you plan to install a custom rom or want to use applications that require root, rooting is a must! As far as I know, rooting can not cause sound error! However, its always a good practice to take a nandroid backup before you do anything! :)

All the steps needed to unlock your bootloader and rooting your HOX is given in the first post!! Read it! :good:

nicoli26

Feb 24, 2012
Caloocan City

This thread give us newbie a comprehensive instruction from unlock bootloader up to install custom ROM ;) Just read read read read all the instructions from the first page. If you have questions or something wrong happened, don't hesitate to post your feedback here. And also regarding with sounds, the stock ROM has a problem when it comes to speaker mode (I am not if it's condsisdered as a problem though :p ) You can add or enhance the volume thru custom ROM, in may case I am using Viper ROM and I am very happy with it when it comes to sounds. I would recommend to root your HOX :)

nogotaclue

Jan 16, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

I have read many threads about rooting and flashing roms and tried a few of the methods. I can honestly say that this thread has been the easiest to understand and by far the easiest method to unlock, root and flash Roms on my One x. The all in one toolkit is so easy to use and has everything the newbie, like myself, needs to get started. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed, but as stated above " read, read, read". Have fun :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

vann28

Jul 2, 2011
no touch in TWRP

Hi!
Just followed the steps, and everything went ok until i flashed TWRP.
When i get into TWRP i can't do anything.... Nothing happens when i press the screen. When i press the powerbutton a "slide for open screen" comes up, but i can't open it. I have to hold power button for a long time to restart the phone. Any ide how to fix this?

Edit
Flashed CWM and everything worked

Last edited:

Asmund

Nov 17, 2010
"READ the warning. THIS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA FROM THE PHONE."

Is this just a warning, or will the entire data on the phone be wiped including the phone storage (pictures and so on)?

Very nice guide - thanks a lot.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
It won't touch ur internal sd... U would have to Reinstall apps.. Change the settings n so on...

Photos n stuff won't be deleted! :)

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Reactions: autophone

ymeri

Mar 12, 2011
Oldenburg
Post 3: How to reverse everything and go back to stock

selamun alejkum bro a have one questions as returned my one x in ruu roms

I've been looking at xda but some people are show back too stock do you have any video have as returned HTC ONE X IN STOCK TELME PLEASSSS:good:

a get this video bat have a get this alla file to work goo back in stock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZuAjz4PIjU

Last edited:
Reactions: uvejsi2009

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info

selamun alejkum bro a have one questions as returned my one x in ruu roms

I've been looking at xda but some people are show back too stock do you have any video have as returned HTC ONE X IN STOCK TELME PLEASSSS:good:

a get this video bat have a get this alla file to work goo back in stock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZuAjz4PIjU

If you have a nandroid backup... follow these steps:

1. Flash the boot.img from the nandroid backup via fastboot
2. Download This and flash via recovery.
3. Restore the nandroid backup by navigating to the backup folder... /clockworkmod/backup/xxxxxxx/ via recovery.
4. Flash the stock recovery for your firmware CHECK THIS
5. Relock the bootloader by "fastboot oem lock"
6. Reboot.

Hope this helps! :)

PS: If didn't heed the advice and did not take a nandroid backup of your stock rom, Go Here and download the backup which matches your CID!

Reactions: ksarius and ymeri

ymeri

Mar 12, 2011
Oldenburg
If you have a nandroid backup... follow these steps:

1. Flash the boot.img from the nandroid backup via fastboot
2. Download This and flash via recovery.
3. Restore the nandroid backup by navigating to the backup folder... /clockworkmod/backup/xxxxxxx/ via recovery.
4. Flash the stock recovery for your firmware CHECK THIS
5. Relock the bootloader by "fastboot oem lock"
6. Reboot.

Hope this helps! :)

PS: If didn't heed the advice and did not take a nandroid backup of your stock rom, Go Here and download the backup which matches your CID!
thanks ma frend for info bat adont understend I arrived from desire hd a this one x is moch complicated to back too stock do you have eny hack all in one too telem step bay step have to goo back too stoc my one x thanks my frend

Blappy

Oct 30, 2012
Ashdod
Hi.
I'm lost already, tried everything.
Whenever i'm at FASTBOOT USB my computer doesnt recgonize the phone therefore I can't flash the boot.img.
I installed drivers, installed HTC Sync Manager - nothing helps.
Whenever I go to mount -> mount usb storage i can see the files and my phone is recgonized but not on FASTBOOT USB.
Anything I can do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Post 1: How to unlock your bootloader, flash a recovery and root
    Post 2: How to flash a custom ROM and kernel (boot.img)
    Post 4: How to ADB Sideload a ROM

Alright. This is for everyone who wants to root their phone. I've seen MULTIPLE threads of the same question "Can I root my phone and How do I do it". So I hope I never have to see it again! In this tutorial, I use use my toolkit as the way to root. Doing it manually takes forever and that is why I made my toolkit.

Requirements:
    HTC One X (charged to at least 70%)
    Windows XP,Vista,7 (8 is not officially supported since I don't have the drivers)
    USB cable
    Ability to read and follow step-by-step
    Understanding that I am no way guaranteeing anything. If you screw up your phone, you probably didn't follow my steps and made a foolish mistake.

Let's begin.

Download my toolkit from here.

Link 1 and Link 2

Extract the FOLDER to your C: drive or to your desktop.

MAKE SURE YOUR DIRECTORY DOES NOT HAVE A PERIOD OR SPACE.

Open One X.exe

So now you have my program open. Great.

On your phone, go to Settings -> Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging.

From my toolkit, Click 1. Install HTC Drivers.

After the drivers install, restart your computer.

After your computer loads up, open my toolkit and connect your phone to the computer. Your phone should now be recognized.

Now, click 2. Register at HTCDev. Register with a VALID email address and LEAVE the web browser open.

Now, under the commands section of my toolkit, press Boot into Bootloader.

You should have a nice, white, shiny screen that says FASTBOOT USB.

Click 3. Get Token ID. Look at the pop up and it will tell you how to get the Token ID.

Highlight where it says < < < < Identifier Token Start > > > > all the way to < < < < < Identifier Token End > > > > > and right click and it will automatically copy it.

Now, click Submit Token ID. Your web browser should now open a new tab. Scroll down and in the empty box, paste your Token ID. Press submit. HTCDev now emailed you your unlock token.

Your phone should still be in the bootloader. Now, go to the email address you registered to HTCDev and DOWNLOAD your unlock_code.bin. Press 5. Unlock Bootloader. Locate your unlock_code.bin and it will flash it to your phone.

READ the warning. THIS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA FROM THE PHONE.

When you agree to it, press the volume up button and press the power button to accept it. Your phone will now restart.

When your phone loads up, go through the set up wizard. Then, on your phone, go to Settings -> Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging.

Under the Extras section, press Perm Root. It will push SuperSU.zip to your phone.

Under commands, press Boot into Bootloader once again.

Now, it is time to flash a recovery.

TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) is a custom recovery that will allow you to flash custom ROMs, Mods, etc.

CWM (ClockWorkMod) is a custom recovery that will allow you to flash custom ROMs, Mods, etc.

I recommend TWRP and we will use it for this tutorial,

Select TWRP and press Flash Recovery.

After it flashes, remove the USB cable and have HBOOT selected in bootloader. Press the power button and it will reload to another screen. Press the Volume Down button until you get to Recovery. Press the power button to select it.

Go to Backup and back up your boot and system partition. Always have a back up before you flash or do anything.

After that, go to Install and locate SuperSU.zip. Click it and slide the screen on the bottom to flash it. After it flashes, reboot the phone.

In your app drawer (your menu with all the apps), open SuperSU. If it says the binary needs to be updated, then update it. If it doesn't, then you are fully rooted!
    Post 2: How to flash a custom ROM and kernel (boot.img)

The fun part! Now, I will teach you how to flash a ROM and boot.img

Find a ROM you like, the first thing you should do is make sure it is COMPATIBLE with your phone. If you find a ROM that is for AT&T (Evita) and you have the International model (Tegra3), don't be an idiot and flash it. I will not help you with that since you already agreed to my warning from the first post.

International models won't work on an AT&T HOX and Vice Versa.

Also, DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN FLASH A ROM FROM ANOTHER DEVICE!

Will it work? NO! Will it ever work? NO! Can I flash it anyways? Brick your device, I don't care. I warned you.

Let's get back on task. So you found the ROM you want to try, so go ahead and download it. KEEP THE THREAD OPEN! MAKE SURE YOU READ EVERYTHING AND REREAD IT AGAIN! READ WHAT USERS SAID ABOUT IT AND ABOUT BUGS! GO AHEAD AND READ THE WHOLE ENTIRE THREAD! GAIN KNOWLEDGE!!

Connect your USB cable to your phone. View the folders on your phone. I like to make a folder called ROMs on my phone and transfer it in there.

After you transfer it, open my toolkit and press Boot into Recovery. When you are in TWRP, MAKE A BACKUP!!!

After you make a backup AKA a Nandroid, click Wipe. Wipe Cache, Dalvik, Factory Reset and System. NOTHING ELSE! If you click anything else, IT WILL WIPE YOUR SD CARD AND YOU WILL HAVE MORE ISSUES ON YOUR HEAD!

So you wiped everything. Great. Your phone is ROMless, Yay!

Now go back and press install. Go to the folder where the ROM you downloaded, is located in. Select the ROM and slide the screen to flash it. After it flashes, press the back button. Press Reboot and Reboot into bootloader. Open the ROM you downloaded from your computer. You should see boot.img. Extract it to your computer. Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

After it flashes, press reboot from the phone.

Congrats! Enjoy your fully working or borked ROM! Remember, DO NOT ASK FOR ETAs, DO NOT BUG/PM A DEV ABOUT UPDATES, and BE RESPECTFUL TO THE DEVELOPERS!

Now, let's talk about getting back to stock. There are 2 ways to do this.

1. Flash the stock RUU (If available) (Recommended)
    2. Restore your Nandroid (backup that I told you to make earlier)

1. I'll talk about flashing the stock RUU first.

Go here and download the RUU.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1543604

Download the correct RUU for your phone.

Now, back up all your data (pictures, contacts, etc) since this will put your phone back to complete stock.

Connect the USB cable to your phone. Press Boot into Bootloader.

It should now say FASTBOOT USB on your screen.

Press Relock bootloader. It may give you a security warning error or it may say failed. Who cares, ignore it. It's normal.

Your phone will boot up normally.

When the phone is fully loaded. Unplug and replug the USB cable back in the phone. Now,run the RUU you downloaded and follow the instructions.

Your phone will be back to stock.

2. Now, we will talk about restoring your nandroid backup.

Connect your phone to the computer. Open up the folder to view the files on your phone.

From your computer, Go to TWRP -> BACKUPS -> (Your hardware Serial Number) -> (Folder you wish to restore to) -> and copy boot.emmc.win to your computer. Rename boot..emmc.win to boot.img

Open my toolkit and press boot into recovery.

Click Wipe. Wipe Cache, Dalvik, Factory Reset and System. NOTHING ELSE! If you click anything else, IT WILL WIPE YOUR SD CARD AND YOU WILL HAVE MORE ISSUES ON YOUR HEAD!

Press back and press Restore. Choose the backup to restore to.

After it finishes, press the back button. Press Reboot and select bootloader.

Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

You are now back to your stock Nandroid.
    4. How to use ADB Sideload

You may have seen what ADB Sideload around the forums but have no idea what it is. Since the HOX does not have an SD card, it makes things harder when you have to flash a ROM.

Here's a scenario when we need to use ADB Sideload.
    1. You accidentally wiped your internal SD and have no ROM on your phone
    2. You wiped your ROM and forgot to transfer a custom ROM/have no backups(Nandroid) available.
    3, You have none of the above and there is no available RUU for your phone. <----- This is a real bummer.

Here are the steps to load on a ROM
    I placed TWRP in my toolkit for a reason. CWM does not support ADB Sideload (as far as I know) and TWRP does.

Boot into recovery manually. Turn your device off and hold the VOLUME DOWN + POWER button together until the BOOTLOADER pops up. Press the VOLUME DOWN button until you have selected RECOVERY. Press the POWER button to get into RECOVERY.

Connect the USB Cable to your phone and computer.

In TWRP, click "Advanced" and select ADB Sideload.

Download a ROM to your computer (if you haven't already done so). Rename it as one word. For example CM10.zip, QX.zip, ARHD.zip, etc.

In my toolkit, under the extras section, press ADB Sideload a ROM. Press "Yes" when it asks you if you are in recovery. Then select the ROM you want to install. It will then sideload it to your phone and flash it.

After it finishes, press the back button. Press Reboot and select bootloader.

Pull the boot.img from the zip file and extract it.

Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

You now have a ROM on your phone!
    1 more, just in case.