Poor Signal Strength with Cyanogen 10 & 10.1

Search This thread

fowen

Feb 10, 2006
Bakersfield CA
www.frankowen.com
I live and work in an area that has poor signal for Verizon. I almost immediately flashed to CM 10 after I got the Verizon Galaxy S3 because I was running CM 10 on my previous Sprint Galaxy S3 without issue. I have been updating the radio and RPM with each leak (currently running K3) and things got a little better but I constantly dropped calls. I had to flash back to stock because I flashed to CM 10.1 and my radio got messed up. I ran the newest stock rom for the last week and noticed a huge difference. I still had low signal but my data dropped less frequently and I could actually make phone calls in areas I couldn't before.

I rooted, and flashed to CM 10.1 and noticed right away the signal is not where it should be. I can't make phone calls inside of buildings with low signal at all, where with stock I could without issue. I love CyanogenMod but I don't think I can deal with the poor signal.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem and maybe a possible resolution?

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I live and work in an area that has poor signal for Verizon. I almost immediately flashed to CM 10 after I got the Verizon Galaxy S3 because I was running CM 10 on my previous Sprint Galaxy S3 without issue. I have been updating the radio and RPM with each leak (currently running K3) and things got a little better but I constantly dropped calls. I had to flash back to stock because I flashed to CM 10.1 and my radio got messed up. I ran the newest stock rom for the last week and noticed a huge difference. I still had low signal but my data dropped less frequently and I could actually make phone calls in areas I couldn't before.

I rooted, and flashed to CM 10.1 and noticed right away the signal is not where it should be. I can't make phone calls inside of buildings with low signal at all, where with stock I could without issue. I love CyanogenMod but I don't think I can deal with the poor signal.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem and maybe a possible resolution?

Depends on where ya live, your mileage may vary. I get within 1-2 -dBm between the two.

Technically since we don't have the source code the reason CM10 has data is by a work around.

There really is nothing you can do. It is what it is. I've run devices with CM that have provided better signal, and usually were on sprint lol and then run them where they provide the same or slightly worse quality.

Happens.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Ryozaku

Itzvik

Oct 27, 2012
Ocala
This does not ha e anything to do with cm 10. This this to do with the the phone radio. This is the reason why I switched to the DNA now I have Full bars everywhere I go. On my s3 I used to drop calls all the time.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
This does not ha e anything to do with cm 10. This this to do with the the phone radio. This is the reason why I switched to the DNA now I have Full bars everywhere I go. On my s3 I used to drop calls all the time.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA.

Your wrong...read OP post and you realize your wrong.

You have your DNA now leave and stop trolling.

Ryozaku

Feb 20, 2013
Ok I really hope I'm not beating the dead horse here but I have a similar problem on my verizon Galaxy s3 and I was hoping there might be a fix

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
My understanding is that the CM developers dont have the GS3 source for something (the RIL?) so they have to use a different RIL? I'm probably totally butchering that, because I dont understand the words I'm using, but from what I've gathered the signal is what it is on CM, and will not improve beyond where it is.

It is certainly usable for me, but there are many times my wife has 4g and I have 3g, or she has a 3g signal and I have nothing at all (she has a stock vzw gs3).

Reactions: aznsensazn29

Recon0212

Jul 7, 2012
My understanding is that the CM developers dont have the GS3 source for something (the RIL?) so they have to use a different RIL? I'm probably totally butchering that, because I dont understand the words I'm using, but from what I've gathered the signal is what it is on CM, and will not improve beyond where it is.

It is certainly usable for me, but there are many times my wife has 4g and I have 3g, or she has a 3g signal and I have nothing at all (she has a stock vzw gs3).

I think you're correct on the RIL part.

I had the same issue on 10.1. I switched to an older radio, and though it is not perfect, it did give me better reception and the switch from 3g to 4g is faster. My radio is VRLHE

mikeman45

Oct 15, 2012
Why not try a rom like beans. It is a touch wiz rom that looks like aosp and had a lot of aosp features. That way the radios will work fine you will still have aosp stuff and all the goodness of being rooted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
Let's not get confused here. Tw rom's like beans are themed to look slightly aosp, but are far from it. Aosp has so many customization options that tw cannot come close to. (I'm an aosp guy, if you can't tell). That being said, signal strength will always be an issue on aosp based roms due to the Samsung ril only being licensed to samsung, hence only working on tw rom's. The official ril code will almost never be released as its how qualcom makes its money. Currently aosp rom's use a work around home brewed ril that is very effective, but not quite what stock rom will offer. So if your signal is poor where you are, aosp may not be the best choice for you, but for most the signal is just as good as tw, and imo the only way to run android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mikeman45

Oct 15, 2012
I'm not confused, that's why I said looks like (aka themed like). Also I said some aosp features like MMS, camera/gallery, lock screen to name a few. Its no where near the same but if they are having issues which I read a few people do have with signal and losing data its a nice alternative and has SOME similar features.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Depends on where ya live, your mileage may vary. I get within 1-2 -dBm between the two.

Technically since we don't have the source code the reason CM10 has data is by a work around.

There really is nothing you can do. It is what it is. I've run devices with CM that have provided better signal, and usually were on sprint lol and then run them where they provide the same or slightly worse quality.

Happens.