[Q] Note 8.0 N5110 menu, home, and back buttons non-functional

Search This thread

jgaiche

Dec 29, 2008
I have a Note 8.0 N5110 that has a strange problem which I don't really how to troubleshoot. When I am using it, the screen will go off just as if I short pressed the power button. I'll press the power button and swipe the screen to unlock. Everything is just as it was when the screen went off, but now the menu, power, and back buttons are non-functional. There are no lights or haptic feedback when I press them. My device was previously rooted before the 4.4.2 update and I had to use odin to install the upgrade. The issue didn't start for a couple of weeks after the update. Once the screen blanks and the buttons become non-functional, minutes later they will start working again; however, at some point, the screen will blank again and the cycle repeats. I have restored to factory settings with no luck resolving the issue. In fact, the screen will blank while I'm still in the setup phase. I really don't know what to try next to resolve this problem and my device is pretty much unusable at this point. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I could try to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help - Jeff Gaiche

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
I have a Note 8.0 N5110 that has a strange problem which I don't really how to troubleshoot. When I am using it, the screen will go off just as if I short pressed the power button. I'll press the power button and swipe the screen to unlock. Everything is just as it was when the screen went off, but now the menu, power, and back buttons are non-functional. There are no lights or haptic feedback when I press them. My device was previously rooted before the 4.4.2 update and I had to use odin to install the upgrade. The issue didn't start for a couple of weeks after the update. Once the screen blanks and the buttons become non-functional, minutes later they will start working again; however, at some point, the screen will blank again and the cycle repeats. I have restored to factory settings with no luck resolving the issue. In fact, the screen will blank while I'm still in the setup phase. I really don't know what to try next to resolve this problem and my device is pretty much unusable at this point. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I could try to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help - Jeff Gaiche

Couple questions.....do you have a case or screen protector on it? Sometimes these can interfere with the sensor and cause these type of issues.

jgaiche

Dec 29, 2008
I do have a case on the device. It's been cased pretty much since I purchased it. I guess it can't do any harm to remove it from the case, just to see if it's possibly interfering with a sensor somewhere. The issue does seem to have been sporadic at first. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion -- Jeff

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
I do have a case on the device. It's been cased pretty much since I purchased it. I guess it can't do any harm to remove it from the case, just to see if it's possibly interfering with a sensor somewhere. The issue does seem to have been sporadic at first. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion -- Jeff

Was just a thought. Otherwise it might be a defective sensor that has to be replaced. Not really sure.