Atrix HD Beginners Guide

Search This thread

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Welcome to the Atrix HD Forums.

3v2hhh.jpg

So you have yourself a shiny new Atrix HD and you've come here looking to flash custom roms. Before you get started, you need to learn the basics of Atrix HD (AHD) roms; how to root stock, how to unlock the bootloader, where obtain and set up our custom fastboot executables, what to do when things go wrong, what NOT to do, and what to add to your posts so your not just saying I have a bug or XYZ force closes on me...

Let's start of with a brief history lesson.
Motorola phones are notorious for being locked down and very difficult to do custom roms on. Very few Moto devices have native unlockable bootloaders, and most of the unlocked ones were unlocked via the great devs of the scene or from straight up blunders from Motorola. Our Atrix HD was no exception. It came locked down, but soon had SafeStrap Recovery from Hashcode. SSR installed itself to the /system partition and acted in a very similar manner to Defy 2nd-Init and other /system based 2nd-init recoveries. For a locked device it was/is the ideal recovery to use.

A few months back Dan Rosenberg successfully unlocked the bootloader for us and since then things have changed drastically and for the better. We've gone from Stock-Based Ports and CM10\.1 modded for locked bootloaders to full custom kernels, multiple Source-Based roms, using CWM over SSR, and all our old tips and tricks are almost all no longer valid and we do different things now. IF THE POST YOU'RE LOOKING AT IS BEFORE APRIL 2013 THEN DON'T BOTHER READING IT UNLESS IT IS FOR STOCK AND YOU RUN STOCK.

Where to Start on you Atrix HD Journey
You're gonna want to start off by setting up adb, fastboot, and if on Windows, the drivers & RSD.
ADB Guide This guides old and some of the links may be invalid, but tis a really good guide that covers a lot of things and is a good & recommended read, especially if your a total Android noob. I have a link to our fastboot guide below in the Unlock the Bootloader section, and the driver is automagically installed the first time you plug your STOCK phone into a Windows PC. Myth Tools can do all this as well, but you SERIOUSLY need to learn the manual way before using the all-in-one tools -- and that's for any device\system\OS\phone\PC\etc...If you know the manual way then you'll be better suited to fixing issues on your own if the all-in-one fails

You'll also want to visit this thread and read up on RSD. Keep in mind that that thread was made after our bootloaders were unlocked so you can't do the CMW swap or downgrade to ICS, but it does contain the links to RSD and a Windows Driver Guide so its well worth reading.

Rooting this Beast
The first thing you're gonna want to do is root your phone. We have three methods available to us. One method is ICS only and the other two for Jellybean -- One is Linux exclusive and the other works on both Linux and Windows. I'm not gonna tell ya how to do them, there are threads for that and here they are.

ICS ONLY
Linux Samba Root Method
Motochopper Root Method

Staying Stock and using SafeStrap
By now you're probably wanting to flash a rom...but we're not there yet. Now is where you have to make a crucial decision -- Go with SafeStrap Recovery, Stock Roms, and limited support from us; OR, Unlock the bootloader, flash a new bootlogo, flash CWM, flash a custom rom. If you go with SafeStrap/Stock, install SSR and download the stock fastboot that's the same as the system on your phone if something goes wrong. I can't give a whole lot of SSR info since I didn't use it very much (maybe 2 weeks tops if that), you'll have to refer to the SSR thread for more SSR help and info. You only be able to flash stock based roms without custom kernels with this method. Please be aware that this isn't supported by us anymore since all the AHD power users run unlocked bootloaders and custom roms.

SafeStrap Recovery Thread

Unlock the Bootloader
I'll start of by telling you the ONE & ONLY downside to unlocking the bootloader -- you will lose warranty. If you're phone is covered for things like water damage, broke screen, major breaks, then you can just break the phone to the point where they won't be able to tell if its unlocked or not and the not being covered under warranty is a non issue. And if you need to do a warranty or return, make damn sure you break your phone in a way covered. Easiest was is to splice a 110V wall plug with a Mini USB and fry the board...all ya gotta say is it quit working...Now that that's been said I'll go on to the meat and potatoes.

You want to first visit the Unlock thread and read it as well as my fastboot guide sticked under Android General. Between those two sources all the minor tidbits are already covered.

Unlock Thread
Fastboot Guide
Just A Good Source For Info

What to do next???
Provided you actually read all of the above you should have a decent understanding of what to do and what not to do. You're gonna want to first start off by flashing CWM. See the Fastboot Guide linked just above this... Once installed do a Full Backup of your stock rom and place a copy of that on your PC for safe keeping. Now you are free to have some fun and start flashing all the roms you want.

Myth Tools
Thie Myth Team has kindly made us a nice little script that can do most of the rooting, unlocking, fastboot flashes, etc. I haven't mentioned yet, and almost didn't at all because you NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING POSTED ABOVE BEFORE YOU USE THIS TOOL. The tool itself works just fine, but if you're not properly set up bad things can happen and we're tired of answering posts that start with "I used Myth Tools and"....I'm essentially a noob who didn't bother to read and study before playing with my Shiny New Phone. IF adb is properly woking, IF you're using the proper fastboot, and IF you bothered to run it as root/admin the you're gonna have a good time.

Myth Tools

Relevant Video

To Be Continued...........

Last edited:

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
@skeevydude

I did the same thing but in spanish and located in another forum. Can I post the link and you add it to your post?

Enviado desde mi MB886 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

Send me a link and we'll call that Post #2. I'm all for having things in multiple languages.

//misses the days of xda where users weren't so anal about the posting in another language rule...especially in the help section...

Mister_Simon

Jun 18, 2013
Aha. Good one. Really needed this thread.
Love the SP Ski Instructor.
Seems like it was made for this thread.
DONT FRENCH FRY WHEN YOU HAVE TO PIZZA

Reactions: skeevydude

Youngunn2008

Aug 2, 2010
Alton, IL
great thread.

love that cartoon at the bottom... seems like deja vu...

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

i sent a pm to one of our mods to sticky this and unsticky that SS thread.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
great thread.

love that cartoon at the bottom... seems like deja vu...

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

i sent a pm to one of our mods to sticky this and unsticky that SS thread.

And if it becomes unstickied I'll get it stickied back
....not all of us WANT to unlock the bootloader or CAN unlock the bootloader (work/military/etc). For those cases we need them to have a recovery option available. Hashcode updated the instructions to include locked bootloaders only as well as Mattlgroff adding unlocked bootloaders only in the CWM thread. It can't be made any more clear than that.

We have clear, precise, and correct instructions for most things around here. We all answer questions when asked and we're generally nice to new users; though we will flame if a question has been asked too many times :p. Most of the information is either stickied or linked in the sticked posts. If someone is in of a hurry, stupid, or didn't read the instructions, faqs, guides, and OP's then its on them. For the few things that might not be in the stickied posts, a quick search will usually find what's needed.

That cartoon clearly explains this point.

Reactions: mwb1100

deeje00

Jan 8, 2011
It doesn't need to be stickied. Because of all the new guys thinking that's the only thing to use. It's better just being mentioned in your guide. That way if they need to use it they can use your link.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX

aquaticbullet

Jul 3, 2013
I am rooted and bootloader unlocked and I recently flashed xenon HD. But the issue is that my GPS wont work no matter how long I wait:eek: (Worked like dream on flash JB though). Also i cant make my laptop to recognize my phone ( yeah i did turn on the USB debugging mode)

So i went through the forums and I got to know that I have to flash stock ICS and then again flash a custom ROM to make it work. So searched around for stock ICS firmware for ATT and got this file 7.7.1Q-144_MB886_MR1-22_SIGNED_CFC.xml.zip. Now the page where I got this info says that I have to edit the xml file and then flash it.

I have Mythtools working, so all I have to do is to use the option to flash firmware and place this zip in respective folder ?

P.S : I intend to use HOLOBLUR ROM by younggun2008. Since it is on 4.1.2 I am wondering If flashing it directly will solve the purpose or I still have to go back to ICS.

Aingaran

Mar 8, 2013
Frankfurt
aingaran.dev
I am rooted and bootloader unlocked and I recently flashed xenon HD. But the issue is that my GPS wont work no matter how long I wait:eek: (Worked like dream on flash JB though). Also i cant make my laptop to recognize my phone ( yeah i did turn on the USB debugging mode)

So i went through the forums and I got to know that I have to flash stock ICS and then again flash a custom ROM to make it work. So searched around for stock ICS firmware for ATT and got this file 7.7.1Q-144_MB886_MR1-22_SIGNED_CFC.xml.zip. Now the page where I got this info says that I have to edit the xml file and then flash it.

I have Mythtools working, so all I have to do is to use the option to flash firmware and place this zip in respective folder ?

P.S : I intend to use HOLOBLUR ROM by younggun2008. Since it is on 4.1.2 I am wondering If flashing it directly will solve the purpose or I still have to go back to ICS.

you can flash holoblur rom directly, but make sure you mount your system before installing it... and about myth, you dont need to edit any xml, it will take care of everything for you,,

Reactions: aquaticbullet

aquaticbullet

Jul 3, 2013
you can flash holoblur rom directly, but make sure you mount your system before installing it... and about myth, you dont need to edit any xml, it will take care of everything for you,,

Thinking of flashing when younggun uploads v 1.0.
Till then I just have 1 issue. How to make my laptop recognize my phone ? ( usb debugging didn't work)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the Atrix HD Forums.

3v2hhh.jpg

So you have yourself a shiny new Atrix HD and you've come here looking to flash custom roms. Before you get started, you need to learn the basics of Atrix HD (AHD) roms; how to root stock, how to unlock the bootloader, where obtain and set up our custom fastboot executables, what to do when things go wrong, what NOT to do, and what to add to your posts so your not just saying I have a bug or XYZ force closes on me...

Let's start of with a brief history lesson.
    Motorola phones are notorious for being locked down and very difficult to do custom roms on. Very few Moto devices have native unlockable bootloaders, and most of the unlocked ones were unlocked via the great devs of the scene or from straight up blunders from Motorola. Our Atrix HD was no exception. It came locked down, but soon had SafeStrap Recovery from Hashcode. SSR installed itself to the /system partition and acted in a very similar manner to Defy 2nd-Init and other /system based 2nd-init recoveries. For a locked device it was/is the ideal recovery to use.

A few months back Dan Rosenberg successfully unlocked the bootloader for us and since then things have changed drastically and for the better. We've gone from Stock-Based Ports and CM10\.1 modded for locked bootloaders to full custom kernels, multiple Source-Based roms, using CWM over SSR, and all our old tips and tricks are almost all no longer valid and we do different things now. IF THE POST YOU'RE LOOKING AT IS BEFORE APRIL 2013 THEN DON'T BOTHER READING IT UNLESS IT IS FOR STOCK AND YOU RUN STOCK.

Where to Start on you Atrix HD Journey
    You're gonna want to start off by setting up adb, fastboot, and if on Windows, the drivers & RSD.
    ADB Guide This guides old and some of the links may be invalid, but tis a really good guide that covers a lot of things and is a good & recommended read, especially if your a total Android noob. I have a link to our fastboot guide below in the Unlock the Bootloader section, and the driver is automagically installed the first time you plug your STOCK phone into a Windows PC. Myth Tools can do all this as well, but you SERIOUSLY need to learn the manual way before using the all-in-one tools -- and that's for any device\system\OS\phone\PC\etc...If you know the manual way then you'll be better suited to fixing issues on your own if the all-in-one fails

You'll also want to visit this thread and read up on RSD. Keep in mind that that thread was made after our bootloaders were unlocked so you can't do the CMW swap or downgrade to ICS, but it does contain the links to RSD and a Windows Driver Guide so its well worth reading.

Rooting this Beast
    The first thing you're gonna want to do is root your phone. We have three methods available to us. One method is ICS only and the other two for Jellybean -- One is Linux exclusive and the other works on both Linux and Windows. I'm not gonna tell ya how to do them, there are threads for that and here they are.

ICS ONLY
    Linux Samba Root Method
    Motochopper Root Method

Staying Stock and using SafeStrap
    By now you're probably wanting to flash a rom...but we're not there yet. Now is where you have to make a crucial decision -- Go with SafeStrap Recovery, Stock Roms, and limited support from us; OR, Unlock the bootloader, flash a new bootlogo, flash CWM, flash a custom rom. If you go with SafeStrap/Stock, install SSR and download the stock fastboot that's the same as the system on your phone if something goes wrong. I can't give a whole lot of SSR info since I didn't use it very much (maybe 2 weeks tops if that), you'll have to refer to the SSR thread for more SSR help and info. You only be able to flash stock based roms without custom kernels with this method. Please be aware that this isn't supported by us anymore since all the AHD power users run unlocked bootloaders and custom roms.

SafeStrap Recovery Thread

Unlock the Bootloader
    I'll start of by telling you the ONE & ONLY downside to unlocking the bootloader -- you will lose warranty. If you're phone is covered for things like water damage, broke screen, major breaks, then you can just break the phone to the point where they won't be able to tell if its unlocked or not and the not being covered under warranty is a non issue. And if you need to do a warranty or return, make damn sure you break your phone in a way covered. Easiest was is to splice a 110V wall plug with a Mini USB and fry the board...all ya gotta say is it quit working...Now that that's been said I'll go on to the meat and potatoes.

You want to first visit the Unlock thread and read it as well as my fastboot guide sticked under Android General. Between those two sources all the minor tidbits are already covered.

Unlock Thread
    Fastboot Guide
    Just A Good Source For Info

What to do next???
    Provided you actually read all of the above you should have a decent understanding of what to do and what not to do. You're gonna want to first start off by flashing CWM. See the Fastboot Guide linked just above this... Once installed do a Full Backup of your stock rom and place a copy of that on your PC for safe keeping. Now you are free to have some fun and start flashing all the roms you want.

Myth Tools
    Thie Myth Team has kindly made us a nice little script that can do most of the rooting, unlocking, fastboot flashes, etc. I haven't mentioned yet, and almost didn't at all because you NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING POSTED ABOVE BEFORE YOU USE THIS TOOL. The tool itself works just fine, but if you're not properly set up bad things can happen and we're tired of answering posts that start with "I used Myth Tools and"....I'm essentially a noob who didn't bother to read and study before playing with my Shiny New Phone. IF adb is properly woking, IF you're using the proper fastboot, and IF you bothered to run it as root/admin the you're gonna have a good time.

Myth Tools

Relevant Video

To Be Continued...........
    It doesn't need to be stickied. Because of all the new guys thinking that's the only thing to use. It's better just being mentioned in your guide. That way if they need to use it they can use your link.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX

I want both recoveries stickied. I don't want to go into all the details publicly, but they both need to be stickied. The instructions on both have been updated to included locked and unlocked bootloader...because of that we can now say "You're an idiot and you can't read instructions" when we get the questions.

I've made sure that we have clear, easy, copy/pasteable instructions; guides that cover almost everything we do. Feel free to not answer SS questions; maybe a flame and a link, whatever.

To All
    Just because ya'll are tired of answering questions from noobs doing things the old way doesn't mean that the old way is bad or that it needs to go away. Not all of us want to be fully unlocked and we have to support those users as well as those who want to be unlocked.

I don't like to play this card, but do you see under my user name where is says "Recognized Contributor" -- It means I know more about this sh!t than a lot of other people and I'm known for helping others. While I normally go with the will of the community, I gotta fight ya'll on this one cause sometimes ya'll are wrong and this is one of those times.

Use HOLOBLUR -- based on Stock so everything should work perfectly (unless youngunn2008 screwed up somewhere :p)

Yeah, ICS was recommended, but my last stock was 4.1.2 Mex Retail which is where our current GPS lib is from....I don't recommend the ICS flashing for GPS....I recommend Mex Retail cause its where the damn lib came from. I know that because I'm the one who found the working GPS lib for us in the first place.

I haven't ran a stock rom since the beginning of June and I've ran many, many custom roms since then. GPS hasn't been an issue for me in a long time.

No USB Debugging is a bug with all 4.2.2 roms :(
    After they unsticky safestrap..

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD
    reserved........
    @skeevydude

I did the same thing but in spanish and located in another forum. Can I post the link and you add it to your post?

Enviado desde mi MB886 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta