How to push files through ADB

Search This thread

rulermon

Dec 14, 2009
Brunswick
Prerequisites have...
A:android-sdk-windows installed
B: (on your phone) go to menu>settings>applications>developement and make sure usb debugging is checked.
C: the file you are pushing must be placed in the tools folder of adb so if you are pushing file "build.prop.txt" this needs to be downloaded/copy and pasted in C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
1: go to run and type cmd (or just open your command prompt)
2: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
3: adb remount
4: adb devices *if everything is set up right this should output a serial number*
5: adb push FFFFFFF.FFF /#####/###### *i hope my notes help here you need to put the file name in for the F(s) and in the pound signs you put the destination on the devices example adb push build.prop.txt /system/bin
6. repeat step 3 for multiple files
7. adb reboot this is how you finish

Last edited:

chromiumleaf

May 20, 2010
Austin, TX
hi mate...i m new to android..i own a nexus1..hav rooted without unlockin d bootloader..i am tryin to push d track ball to wake mod...evry time i type adb remount it says permission denied..any ideas to get things workin...???????

Welcome to XDA and Android! Are you trying to get help for your Nexus One? This forum here is specifically for the HTC Hero CDMA.

You will probably find better and more specific help in the Nexus One forums which are here: http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=556

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
hi, i have adb recognizing my phone, but i still can't seem to push the files over.... every time i try, i get 'cannot stat 'su' : No such file or directory'. i have made sure over and over to put the files in the same folder where adb is.... actually i have tried placing the files in the tools folder, as well as the platform-tools folder, and i keep getting that error when i try to push anything.

any suggestions? thx

ew1090

Nov 21, 2008
Omaha
hi, i have adb recognizing my phone, but i still can't seem to push the files over.... every time i try, i get 'cannot stat 'su' : No such file or directory'. i have made sure over and over to put the files in the same folder where adb is.... actually i have tried placing the files in the tools folder, as well as the platform-tools folder, and i keep getting that error when i try to push anything.

any suggestions? thx
i had the same issue with something i was trying to push. I think you need to make sure you have exactly the same file name like caps and all. i was trying to push rootexplorer.apk and i got the same message but i then changed it to RootExplorer.apk and it work.(notice the difference in caps)

{LCD}Stelios

Feb 10, 2011
Does it matter where sdk is installed my file path is
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools
instead of
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools.
I just installed it in the default location.
I type adb remount and get the not recognised command.....
Thanks.
I don't think my phone is being picked up?

Last edited:

hockeyfamily737

Apr 3, 2011
Connecticut
instead of
Thanks.

Make sure your have the drivers for your phone installed first of all.....Then, in your command prompt you have to change directories to the sdk (which you made harder by not installing to C:\

Try: cd Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools
Then type: adb devices
That should return "xxxxxxdevice" connected....Then you know you have it set up.

Reactions: {LCD}Stelios

pacut

Sep 2, 2008
Rome
Flashing fresh ROM via ADB in Linux

Hello there.

M volumeUp and VolumeDown buttons are broken on my rooted Desire HD, so I cannot go through CWM any longer.

With regard to this post, I would ask the followings:

1) can this method be used to flash a new ROM (i.e. Coredroid, Leedroid..) without the need of those 2 buttons ?
2) My PC runs Linux. How does it work with this O.S. ?

Thanks
paolo

dastin1015

Inactive Recognized Developer
Hello there.

M volumeUp and VolumeDown buttons are broken on my rooted Desire HD, so I cannot go through CWM any longer.

With regard to this post, I would ask the followings:

1) can this method be used to flash a new ROM (i.e. Coredroid, Leedroid..) without the need of those 2 buttons ?
2) My PC runs Linux. How does it work with this O.S. ?

Thanks
paolo

There is a thread somewhere on how to flash without a SD card and flashed using adb I believe, but don't take my word for it. Adb works fine with Linux, just have to set it up differently. Look in my sig and select the compile aosp on Ubuntu one and follow instructions on getting the USB set up.

Sent from Dorian's HTC Hero CDMA

pacut

Sep 2, 2008
Rome
Maybe through ROM manager, premium, I can install ROM direclty.
I am gonna trying :D

YES ! It works !

Last edited:

trunks10k

Nov 13, 2011
Toronto
Hi I need help. I accidentally wipped my phone in CWM and now I'm trying to use adb push to push the update.zip into my phone sd everything seems to work but then in CMW it says there are no files..

any suggestions?

[Edit]
nevermind
I kept trying different locations
not sure which one did the trick but I'll list the one's I tried
so \update.zip /sdcard/
.... /sdcard/update.zip

(note I put "/update.zip" thinking maybe it needed to be reallocated to the same file/destination

Last edited:

hulkhaugen

May 4, 2010
Arendal
bstart.net
Can i use adb push *.apk /system/app to push several files at once, and then repeat but using *.odex instead of *.apk? I keep ending up getting the same error, and i want to find out which app is messing with me...

chudik

Mar 17, 2011
Prerequisites have...
B: (on your phone) go to menu>settings>applications>developement and make sure usb debugging is checked.
C: the file you are pushing must be placed in the tools folder of adb so if you are pushing file "build.prop.txt" this needs to be downloaded/copy and pasted in C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
4: adb devices *if everything is set up right this should output a serial number*
5: adb push FFFFFFF.FFF /#####/###### *i hope my notes help here you need to put the file name in for the F(s) and in the pound signs you put the destination on the devices example adb push build.prop.txt /system/bin

Hey guys ...
I have also rooted my phone , everything was OK until one day i tried to write something to /system/app and i recieve this error:

in Addition , i am writing "adb shell" and it shows me $
if i am doing adb shell --> $ --> su --> it shows #

Can some1 knows what is the problem?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Prerequisites have...
    yea I'm trying to do this, over and over, but with not luck. i have sdk on my pc and im running the cmd prompt to run adb remount & devices and its not picking up the phone, wth is going on, plz help
    instead of
    Thanks.

Make sure your have the drivers for your phone installed first of all.....Then, in your command prompt you have to change directories to the sdk (which you made harder by not installing to C:\

Try: cd Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools
    Then type: adb devices
    That should return "xxxxxxdevice" connected....Then you know you have it set up.