Ubuntu LiveCD with ADB and Unrevoked Recovery installer(Guide).

Search This thread

rayott

Jul 10, 2007
Ubuntu boot failed

When I try to boot the CD with the Ubuntu image file I get the following error:

Disk error 80, AX=4200, drive 9f

Boot failed: press any key to retry...

I made the image file using the "Write image file to disc" ImgBurn command.
I have tried on 2 computers. Any suggestions?

What happens if I run the install program on the CD from Windows XP?

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
When I try to boot the CD with the Ubuntu image file I get the following error:

Disk error 80, AX=4200, drive 9f

Boot failed: press any key to retry...

I made the image file using the "Write image file to disc" ImgBurn command.
I have tried on 2 computers. Any suggestions?

What happens if I run the install program on the CD from Windows XP?

did you check the md5 on the ISO file you downloaded?

dh4645

Aug 19, 2010
PA
worked great for me!!!!
but now what do i do?

i can easily get to the recovery by holding down on the volume when i start up the phone

these are the options:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
nandroid
partitions menu
advanced

should i do anything in these?

how do i get rid of the att apps and how do i go about installing other apps i want?

at this point i don't want to install any custom 2.2 ROMs, i'll just wait "patiently" for att to release the official one.

Last edited:

Anthony1s

Aug 15, 2010
worked great for me!!!!
but now what do i do?

i can easily get to the recovery by holding down on the volume when i start up the phone

these are the options:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
nandroid
partitions menu
advanced

should i do anything in these?

how do i get rid of the att apps and how do i go about installing other apps i want?

at this point i don't want to install any custom 2.2 ROMs, i'll just wait "patiently" for att to release the official one.

I am a n00b but as far as I know, this only roots your phone so you'll be able to do other things to it. There are threads around here that show you how to remove bloatware... I didn't do too much after I rooted mine, I went straight to a CM6 rom. I just use Astro File Manager to install third party apps. Like I said, I'm still new and don't understand as much as I would like to.

dh4645

Aug 19, 2010
PA
I am a n00b but as far as I know, this only roots your phone so you'll be able to do other things to it. There are threads around here that show you how to remove bloatware... I didn't do too much after I rooted mine, I went straight to a CM6 rom. I just use Astro File Manager to install third party apps. Like I said, I'm still new and don't understand as much as I would like to.

yeah i need to find those bloatware threads then...any links?

i didnt install any roms yet (not sure if i will).

i have a 3rd party app on my sdcard, but when i browse to it with astro and try to install, it just says install blocked...yada yada.

i did see the post by xdafly below to ru nthis .cmd in the tools folder. how does running this in the sdk tools folder on my c: drive allow 3rd party apps to be installed on my aria?

i must be missing something

is the aria hooked up via usb at the time this occurs? i am not at home at the moment so i cant try it.

the noob needs a step-by-step guide starting from step #0

Originally Posted by xdafly

sideloading refers to unrestricted ability to load any .apk you wish from any source, including non-market

on a rooted Aria, it is accomplished simply by running a small batch file in the SDK tools folder, ie. assuming SDK is on c:\android\tools

cd\android\tools
adb remount
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
echo update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';|sqlite3 settings.db
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
pause 1
adb reboot

Last edited:

dh4645

Aug 19, 2010
PA
anyone?

i tried doing stuff in windows, but it wont intall the drivers properly.

SO I NEED HELP

what do i do to get this to work under ubuntu?

i want to be able to install 3rd party apps and get rid of att bloatware.

i have no idea where to start since i've never used linux other than to root my phone.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

zaks007

Jul 16, 2009
Htc Desire from Telus

every step worked fine but when the UnrEvoked3 software said done....on my computer screen...but it didn't load the ClockworkMod Recovery in my phone...after second boot it just went to blank screen. What am i doing wrong....Please help

I also tried the windows methord but got the same problem...The Clockwork Recovery screen never loads...even if i try going Bootloader>recovery>same black screen

zaks007

Jul 16, 2009
every step worked fine but when the UnrEvoked3 software said done....on my computer screen...but it didn't load the ClockworkMod Recovery in my phone...after second boot it just went to blank screen. What am i doing wrong....Please help

I also tried the windows methord but got the same problem...The Clockwork Recovery screen never loads...even if i try going Bootloader>recovery>same black screen

Sorry Guys Figured out myself was using a corrupted Recovery Image...found the right Sony lcd one (Telus Htc Desire) n it worked.

charis232

Nov 13, 2008
Ubuntu question

I used yesterday the method above to root my desire,Was very easy,at the end of the procedure the phone freezes and I see the screen with the bootloader words.I had to remove the battery and I started it again and evrything seems OK,I see under the programs folder a profram with the name "superuser rigts",I want to ask,is this an indication that the desire has been done rooted?,I installed also the market enabler.I want to ask,how we can check if the desire is rooted?.The whole procedure was so easy :).Thanks in advance

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
The superuser app will show you applications that you have granted root access. Best way to tell if you have root is open a terminal on the phone (or use adb shell) and type su and enter, it should pop up a prompt asking you to confirm root access on the phone.

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
So close to rooting...

What is meant by the "open a terminal on the phone" that shad0wf0x mentioned in his post? I will also want to know if rooting has been successful. Not sure what to expect, how will I know I'm done?

Will I still have the Sense UI and 7 screens? (This is what I'd prefer)

Is there a way to return the phone to "unrooted" state, going back and forth between the two?

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
What is meant by the "open a terminal on the phone" that shad0wf0x mentioned in his post? I will also want to know if rooting has been successful. Not sure what to expect, how will I know I'm done?

Will I still have the Sense UI and 7 screens? (This is what I'd prefer)

Is there a way to return the phone to "unrooted" state, going back and forth between the two?

There are a few apps on the market that will allow you to open a terminal on the phone, some are free some are pay. I have "terminal emulator" that was free on the market on my phone. If root was successful you will have a "superuser access" app on your phone when you bring up applications this will also show you everything you have granted root access to. It's not so hard to remove root from the phone(delete su and busybox using adb shell), but if you really want to put back your htc phone you should run the factory reset rom from htc.com for your phone(which will remove clockworkmod as well).

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
Many thanks for great help in this topic. I just completed the root and installed the liberated Aria ROM. My ubuntu loving neighbor said it wasn't for the faint of heart. But it wasn't bad with the help from this forum. I have achieved what I wanted to do with getting rid of the bloatware.

Sent from my (Liberated)HTC Liberty using XDA App

dh4645

Aug 19, 2010
PA
There are a few apps on the market that will allow you to open a terminal on the phone, some are free some are pay. I have "terminal emulator" that was free on the market on my phone. If root was successful you will have a "superuser access" app on your phone when you bring up applications this will also show you everything you have granted root access to. It's not so hard to remove root from the phone(delete su and busybox using adb shell), but if you really want to put back your htc phone you should run the factory reset rom from htc.com for your phone(which will remove clockworkmod as well).

why would you want terminal on your phone?

linux terminal = cmd prompt for windows?

what would u use the terminal on your phone for?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been helping out with rooting HTC Aria's over in IRC in the #liberatedAria channel for a while now. A lot of people have problems with drivers on Windows. The easiest solution for them to do this has been to download an Ubuntu LiveCD and use it to root their phone, however many people know nothing about Linux at all and feel daunted by this.

I have created a customized Ubuntu LiveCD that has a script that downloads the Unrevoked Teams reflash, untars it, and runs it as root to root HTC's phones that are supported by the tool (HTC Evo, Hero, Aria, Desire, and Incredible). It also has the Android SDK included and added to the path so it is accessible from a terminal. Everything can be done without a single change to the computer you are doing it on.

Download the iso image here:
    MD5: 9a34c343e8f610e66674af9384334bf6
    ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386-HTCROOT.iso Primary
    ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386-HTCROOT.iso FileFactory.com

Burn the iso to a cd (This can be done with any cd burning software, imgburn found here is free)
    [Optional]
    If you do not have a CD drive, you can create a bootable flash drive by using the tool found here:Pendrive Linux

Put the CD into your computer cd/dvd drive and reboot your computer.

You must make your computer boot from CD, there are many different ways to do this depending on what computer you have, most recent computers have this enabled by default. Here is a guide that may help if you can't get this to work:Enable Boot from CD

Once it boots from the cd it will show a small picture of a keyboard and a person, do not press anything here and it will come to a window that will allow you to select your language.

Select your language and click "Try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS". This will boot up to a standard Ubuntu livecd desktop.

On your phone click menu, settings, applications, development, usb debugging

On the computer click "Places" on the top menubar and click "Home Folder". This will open a file explorer window, in that window is a script called "reflash.sh".

Double click reflash.sh. A window will pop up asking you what to do with this file, click "Run in Terminal". This will go get from the internet the current version of Unrevoked recovery installer from unrevoked.com/recovery, unzip/tar it, and run it as root.

Once it is complete you will be looking at the unrevoked3 screen and you should follow the prompts on screen.

You will then follow the prompts on the screen to plug in your phone, from the notification pane in android select charge only.

unrevoked3 will reboot your phone twice and leave you in ClockworkMod Recovery. On the computer at the bottom of the window it will say "Done".
    Close the window, if you do not need to do anything further you can shut down the machine and be back in windows with nothing changed on your windows system.

Congratulations, your phone is now rooted and has ClockworkMod recovery installed.

There are other guides to setup of sideloading for the aria as well as how to load roms. You can do these using this live cd as well, this is a full ubuntu 10.04 livecd with only games and open office removed, and the unrevoked3 installer and the android sdk installed, it is already in the path and you can use adb commands from the terminal without having to switch directories(however it can be found in /opt/android-sdk-linux_86).

I would like to thank The Unrevoked team for making such a nice tool, and website that made this possible. I would like to that the guys in IRC on Freenode.net channels #liberatedAria and #koush for everything I've learned recently as well as all the great work they have done. Thanks also to Attn1 for making some nice roms for the HTC Aria and gave me the idea to create this. Thanks to Downer3d for the torrent mirror. Thanks to Neolobster for the new faster mirror.

Allowing Non-Market Apps using this cd on the stock ARIA rom:

Click Applications in the upper left corner.
    Go to Accessories, click Terminal. This will put in you a terminal in the default users home folder. Because ADB(and android sdk) are in the path you do not need to change any directories. Start the phone in CLockworkmod with data mounted from the partitions menu and plug the phone into the computer.

Code:
    sudo su
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
    echo "update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';"|sqlite3 ./settings.db
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    adb reboot

What this does:
    Switch user to root.
    ADB pulls the file that contains the setting to allow non market apps down to the machine from the phone.
    The next line runs a sql update of the field install_non_market_apps in table 'secure' and sets the value to 1 (on).
    ADB then pushes the file back to the phone in its original location.
    You then use ADB to reboot the phone to enable it.
    I got a big big problem guys!

Hope you can help me..

Before i tryed with ubuntu Unrevoked dosnt worked.. It only told me that it was rooting and that I could restart safely.. This happends all the time, and sometimes it didnt even find my phone..

Now i burned the ubuntu on an CD, it works and everything, but I still got the same problem... It seems to freeze at the point where it shall root..

Can someone please help me? Im stuck and I dont know what to do...

I have an Wildfire with 2.2.1 Do you need more info, just write and I will give you!

I really hope someone can help me! I want to clock my phone so it can handle more demanding apps..

Best regards
    WoozyMusic

This process was developed for the Aria, not the Wildfire, so it may not be downloading the correct version of Unrevoked. Second of all, if you already have Froyo 2.2.1 on your Wildfire, Unrevoked probably doesn't support rooting of this version yet. I know that is true about other HTC devices that have OTA upgraded to Froyo 2.2.1.
    Oh, thats suck..

So, I cant overclock my phone? Or can I do it with another program or something? I just want to clock it to 710 Mhz.. :(

Best regards
    WoozyMusic

First you need a kernel that supports over-clocking and then you can use a program called SetCpu to set the clock rate. In either case you will need to have your phone rooted.

Have you looked at the Wildfire forum for any solutions?

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=678
    Yes, and I have downloaded Wildpuzzle, as I seem to know that support overclocking?

Yes, but everytime I try to root the freakin' phone it just freeze.. I have tryed almost everything, googled like an arse, searc in different forums, almost everybody reference to unrevoked, that dosn't work for me...

I'm about to snap.. I dunno how I will get over the freakin' freeze thing...

What the fudge will I do? :/ I will search some more, both her in xda and even thru google.. Wish me good luck..

Best regards
    WoozyMusic

OK, I visited the Wildfire forum and there are several posts about trying to root a Wildfire with Froyo 2.2 on it. As with the Aria/Gratia that have Froyo 2.2 on it, there is currently no method using Unrevoked to root these phones. You will have to wait for a rooting method to be developed and documented.
    Oh snap.. what the fudge, i hate to wait...

I'm on an IRC-channel right now and they told me to downgrade, and then root the phone, but I cant even make the downgrade right..

I'ma throw this freakin' phone in to the wall and complain to my boss so I can get an raise and buy me a beautiful phone, like Desire HD or LG optimus x2.. or something else...

Like i said, hate to wait..
    How long do you think it will take until a new version is out so i can root the freakin' phone?

Best regards
    WoozyMusic

Well since Froyo 2.2 just came out for the Wildfire recently and the Gratia/Aria a couple of weeks before that and there still isn't an way to root with the latest HTC HBoot versions on these phones I don't know what to tell you. With the original versions of the Aria and Wildfire, the ROMs were rooted within days of being released, but this new Froyo 2.2 update is apparently a lot tougher to find a root exploit.