How to disable Verizon's OTA updates

Search This thread

JoeSchmoe007

Mar 4, 2011
-Open Root Explorer and make sure you're mounted as Read/Write.
-Navigate to /system and long press on build.prop, then select the "Open in text editor" option and look for a similar line that specifically includes the xxxxxx:/user. Edit that line to this:

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/222219:user/release-keys

This should make the phone think it's up to date. That said though, I doubt there will be any more updates to this phone.

I can confirm this approach works. At the same time correct information will be displayed in Settings/About Phone

dmm108

Feb 23, 2011
can't stop the reminders to update

I followed all the steps in the thread. I'm assuming the update is already on my phone, so the attempts to prevent downloading as described above are moot. My question is, if it's on my phone where is it, and since I'm rooted, why can I not remove it? I'm also assuming there is a hidden partition on the phone where the restore is built out of. Is the update put there? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the update reminders really come about every fifteen minutes. The one thing I haven't done is try to freeze the download program, as my thinking is it's already downloaded. Thanks.

Just wanted to add, I rooted with unrevoked 3.2 and radio is s-off. I looked in the cache directory with great hope, but there were no files present, and couldn't find any file that was the approximate size of ~87MB. That seems awfully big to me, btw.

Last edited:

accord1

Sep 12, 2011
Gonna have to try this for the heck of it! How often are the ota nags apearing for everyone else?

Sent from my Droid Incredible using XDA App

dmm108

Feb 23, 2011
update

the full update file (~87M) recently appeared in /cache. Since that time my OTA notifications have stopped, which has been about 18 hours.

pcmedics911

Apr 24, 2010
This worked! Thank you. I assumed there was a change to be made in the root directory al la windoz.

TwilightChrome

Dec 14, 2011
I don't see a Thanks button, but Thanks!!! That thing was really annoying me. The build.prop method worked on my DInc, which I had downgraded to 2.2 in order to root. the 2.3.4. update was pestering me every half hour. No more! You rock!

brandonb0013

Jan 13, 2012
Android 2.2

I had to downgrade to get root. IM running 2.2 and when I open root explorer, and find the to.build.fingerprint.... is listed above, it shows to.build.fingerprint=Verizon_wee/inc/inc: 2.2\FRF91/264707:/release-keys

I would like to know if changing it to 2.3.4/grj22/222219 will wreck anything or if that is what is needed for it to quit updating

Thanks!

Dadio91

Nov 10, 2010
I had to downgrade to get root. IM running 2.2 and when I open root explorer, and find the to.build.fingerprint.... is listed above, it shows to.build.fingerprint=Verizon_wee/inc/inc: 2.2\FRF91/264707:/release-keys

I would like to know if changing it to 2.3.4/grj22/222219 will wreck anything or if that is what is needed for it to quit updating

Thanks!

Same here, still running Inc Re-engineered 2.4. I changed the line to that and I have not found any issues, OTA nag went away as advertised.

akbkah

Feb 6, 2012
As in the noob video, I too am noob.

I'm trying to stop these stupid OTA (specifically to Gingerbread, ~87M) updates. I have searched and searched and searched. Great sounding solutions everywhere (best explained here though). Here's the thing: I cannot find the /system folder or any of the aforementioned file names.

I am using ES File Explorer, can't find them. I connect to PC and search all three drives that show up, can't find them.

I am rooted, running 2.2, and for all I'm looking to do (root, tether), it works fine for me and since is my 3rd dInc, I'd rather just leave it alone. I can't stand the update notices every 15 minutes though. Has anyone else seen this - specifically where my apparent noob-ness is preventing me from even achieving step one?

The only thing I could think of is that I have "frozen" a few apps using Root Uninstaller, but just the usual bloatware (Skype, Amazon MP3, City ID, Flickr, Footprints, etc). I can't imagine that any of those would cause me to not be able to find something as seemingly basic as the /system folder, but it's the only "modification" I've done.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

sniperx's

Feb 6, 2012
I did this also so i can get rid of the stupid OTA update from verizon. ..(((dont think it worked))) cause when i rebooted my phone the update was there again.

now? since i loaded root explorer I now get a SU Binary outdated ......do i click "update" to get rid of that nag every time i use RE

thanks ...oh and the NOOB video rocks! had me LMAO!

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Ok first in order to se /system on es file explorer i believe you need to go into the apps preferences and select root mode.

If your getting su out of date go ahead and update it.

If you delete the files and they come back when you reboot either your not s-off or your not mounting the system r/w first. Also after you delete the file(s) you need to clear thr cache partition from recovery or it will still prompt you to update.

sniperx's

Feb 6, 2012
dang!...editing that line..burnSSSS my battery life UP!!!!!!

how do i copy the back file back on it.....i can live with the nag....Id rather have battery.

Last edited:

AE35

Feb 24, 2012
White Plains
I just noticed that the build.prop edit in the op has an error, it should be changed to:
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/185897.2:user/release-keys

New member :eek:

My original file was written "... _wwe/inc/inc/inc: ..."

Shouldn't there be another /inc/ in there or no?

Also, just out of curiosity, what does changing the number from 222219 to 185897.2 do?

Mr EGG

Jan 12, 2011
When i was on MIUI, the OTA would download a few times a day. This would kill my battery life. So I edit the build.prop file as mentioned. It seemed to work for a few days but it started up again. So I just turned on my firewall and stopped Download Manager from retrieving data. Worked like a charm...

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
When i was on MIUI, the OTA would download a few times a day. This would kill my battery life. So I edit the build.prop file as mentioned. It seemed to work for a few days but it started up again. So I just turned on my firewall and stopped Download Manager from retrieving data. Worked like a charm...

It may have poped up again after the edit because the ota files were still in the cache. Just edit the build.prop as stated above, and then go to recovery and wipe cache.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm sure there are some frustrated Incredible owners here that are upset after the last OTA update and really don't want to go through this again until they know for sure what is in the update, so I did some searching and found out how to disable future updates in your Dinc. I understand that you don't have to run the update but the constant nagging from the update and waiting for the solution to disable it is frustrating so. I found this on CDMA GURUS

Edit: 11/26/11 This new method comes from iowabowtech and so far this has worked. Thank you iowabowtech!

-Open Root Explorer and make sure you're mounted as Read/Write.
    -Navigate to /system and long press on build.prop, then select the "Open in text editor" option and look for a similar line that specifically includes the xxxxxx:/user. Edit that line to this:

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/222219:user/release-keys

This should make the phone think it's up to date. That said though, I doubt there will be any more updates to this phone.

Alternate method

This method had been known to make the data run constantly so I suggest that you freeze your downloads with a program called "anttek". If you go to download something to your phone, you will have to unfreeze downloads first. This seems to improve battery life also.

To turn OFF future OTA updates, there is a file in the /system/etc/security folder. The file is named "otacerts.zip". Rename it "otacerts.zip.bak", or whatever you want. That will prevent future updates.

You can change that filename using ADB, the root explorer app, or a terminal emulator app of choice right on your DROID. I use root explorer because it is easy and fast. But that's just me...

Using Root Explorer... If you are using Root Explorer to do this and it says "the file system is read only" Just touch the white button at the top that says "mount r/w" and then try it again.

If you are here trying to figure out how to disable the notification for the update you already have (for Froyo) but have not installed yet, then that's in another thread. Here it is... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=836120
    I changed ro.build.fingerprint to verizon_wwe/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/539174.19:user/release-keys

rebooted into recovery, cleared cache, cleared the update notification once more and haven't received an update notification since.

Thanks for posting the .zip MKEbrew!

That is the correct build number, i just installed 4.08.605.19.

Edit /system/build.prop. Look for "ro.build.fingerprint=", change the whole line to read this:
    Code:
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/539174.19:user/release-keys

Save the file, reboot to recovery, wipe cache and dalvik-cache, reboot.
    So just for clarification, does this prevent it from downloading the update or just prevent it from notifying you?

It prevents the download. The post up above says that your phone will try to download the update over and over if you rename the otacerts and I have actually experienced this. I downloaded an app called "anttek" and fixed this issue by freezing downloads. Whenever I go to download something, I have to unfreeze downloads but that is no big deal because I hardly ever download anything to my phone. Also, I have experienced better battery life with the downloads frozen, up time is at 18 hours and I still have 25% battery left on a standard battery.
    I just noticed that the build.prop edit in the op has an error, it should be changed to:
    Code:
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/185897.2:user/release-keys
    cmulsco can you help me with something. I am on wildstangs rom and I just want to stop getting the notification for this ota update. In the original thread it said to change the line in root explorer to this:

To trick the phone into thinking it was up to date. What do we have to change it to this time so we stop getting the ota notification now?

Change it to: verizon_wwe/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/389630.15:user/release-keys