One handed mode? General opinion on m8?

Search This thread

The_Zodiac

Aug 28, 2010
Unknown
Hey all, was wondering if the m8 has some version of 1 handed mode (like the gs5) either stock or included in Roms.

(Somewhat hard to reach the far end of the screen when I tried a demo model & I text very frequently )

If not, has anyone tried http://www.phonearena.com/news/How... handed mode tried it again and it fits fine.

Last edited:

The_Zodiac

Aug 28, 2010
Unknown
Also a bit curious about what the deal with having a developer edition to convert to is,
Does this mean that we can get new updates from HTC before att adds in their bloatware?
Or does it mean something else significant?

I read the other thread relating to it but wasn't sure

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Also a bit curious about what the deal with having a developer edition to convert to is,
Does this mean that we can get new updates from HTC before att adds in their bloatware?

Yup, that's pretty much spot-on. No bloat or carrier branding. Updates come faster. The DE already had the 4.4.3 OTA rolled out maybe 2 weeks ago or so. AT&T OTA is supposed to be "soon", but who knows when?

Reactions: The_Zodiac

The_Zodiac

Aug 28, 2010
Unknown
Yup, that's pretty much spot-on. No bloat or carrier branding. Updates come faster. The DE already had the 4.4.3 OTA rolled out maybe 2 weeks ago or so. AT&T OTA is supposed to be "soon", but who knows when?
Thanks for the info! Nice seeing you around again man. ( nice to hear that esp. Because att tends to drag its feet on upgrades)

Next question is that there are separate Roms based on which version your on?

Do either cross over? Meaning if u switch to gpe base can I use normal Roms or vice versa?

Im not sure which viperone is? Assuming standard at version but not sure.

The_Zodiac

Aug 28, 2010
Unknown
Thanks for the info! Nice seeing you around again man. ( nice to hear that esp. Because att tends to drag its feet on upgrades)

Do either cross over? Meaning if u switch to gpe base can I use normal Roms or vice versa?

& are there any disadvantages to switching to gpe?

(I wouldn't think their would be due to identical hardware, but thought id ask just in case)

Reactions: redpoint73

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
AT&T wont be for awhile....soon = months

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

No no advantages at all...unless you want plane jane android...

(I wouldn't think their would be due to identical hardware, but thought id ask just in case)

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

Good to see you here, too.

Any ROM meant for the GSM version should be compatible (stay away from the CDMA Sprint/Verizon specific ROMs). Although I'd exercise some common-sense caution and check the specific ROM thread to make sure AT&T is supported, or at least confirmed in the thread by AT&T users to work.

If you look at the ViperOne thread in this (AT&T) forum, the download section just links to the "main" thread in the "international/generic" M8 forum anyway. Which then links to the Venom Team download page, where you will see there is just one version for all GSM M8 versions.

GPE can mean one of 2 things, either just flashing a GPE-based custom ROM, or doing a "full conversion" which entails flashing a special RUU. The full conversion changes the partitioning on the device, and the only real advantage is a full GPE "stock" experience, which also means official GPE updates. If you don't care about that, and just want to try out the GPE experience, I'd suggest flashing a GPE-based custom ROM, which does not require changing the partitions.

The_Zodiac

Aug 28, 2010
Unknown

Any ROM meant for the GSM version should be compatible (stay away from the CDMA Sprint/Verizon specific ROMs). Although I'd exercise some common-sense caution and check the specific ROM thread to make sure AT&T is supported, or at least confirmed in the thread by AT&T users to work.

If you look at the ViperOne thread in this (AT&T) forum, the download section just links to the "main" thread in the "international/generic" M8 forum anyway. Which then links to the Venom Team download page, where you will see there is just one version for all GSM M8 versions.

GPE can mean one of 2 things, either just flashing a GPE-based custom ROM, or doing a "full conversion" which entails flashing a special RUU. The full conversion changes the partitioning on the device, and the only real advantage is a full GPE "stock" experience, which also means official GPE updates. If you don't care about that, and just want to try out the GPE experience, I'd suggest flashing a GPE-based custom ROM, which does not require changing the partitions.
Thanks for all the specific info, exactly what I was looking for.

Just got my device & I love it so far.

The last question I've got at the money is, I've heard some devices can't get bootloader unlocked through normal means , and have pay for the exploit,?

How do you know which version you have? (is it a certain hboot or something

Or do you just have to try the normal exploit & see if it works?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
The last question I've got at the money is, I've heard some devices can't get bootloader unlocked through normal means , and have pay for the exploit,?

I think its just Verizon that blocks bootloader unlock, and S-off is required to get custom recovery on it. Bootloader unlock is not an issue with the AT&T version though "normal" means (HTCDev.com), regardless of software version, hboot, etc.

S-off is another issue. Firewater works for some older AT&T M8's, but not on newer ones. Its not definite whether its software number, hboot, etc. that determines this. Just try firewater, and if it doesn't work you will have to pay $25 for sunshine if you want s-off.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I think its just Verizon that blocks bootloader unlock, and S-off is required to get custom recovery on it. Bootloader unlock is not an issue with the AT&T version though "normal" means (HTCDev.com), regardless of software version, hboot, etc.

S-off is another issue. Firewater works for some older AT&T M8's, but not on newer ones. Its not definite whether its software number, hboot, etc. that determines this. Just try firewater, and if it doesn't work you will have to pay $25 for sunshine if you want s-off.